virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited April 2016

If you use a soft body attach modifier, you will need to select some vertices of your cloth object.  These don't need to be attached to anything, actually, but that portion of the cloth will be exempt from the simulation.  It will stay in place and the rest of the cloth will fall and stretch.

If you designate an object in the scene to attach those vertices, those vertices will follow any movement of that object and the rest of the cloth will follow while gravity will still take effect.  (eg you could drag a cloth across the screen - it would be pulled by the object).

So, you need to attach some vertices of the cloth to some object.  I suggest some vertices near the centre.  I suggest a cone or other primitive be added to the scene for these to attach to.  It can be made invisible after the simulation for rendering the scene.

When you attach the vertices to the primitive, there doesn't need to be any close proximity of the vertices and the object. The vertices just follow.   What I suggest is that the primitive hovers above the vertices so that you can, by trial and error, arrange for it to drop at the same rate as the cloth.  That way the cloth will drop and the attached vertices will drop also.

When you rotate the chair, rotate the primitive also.  Only the vertices attached will rotate but it might help a little with stopping the cloth from falling off the chair.

Post edited by Hermit Crab on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks smiley

was side tracked by new bread machine.   smells like banana bread baking.

thinkin, trying the volume pressure, need a pillow, and particle emit feathers  lol

rolling things on floor, rolls per distance ?

thinkin mebbe physics can do this?

Aiko rolls a grenade across the floor,  how many rolls figuring distance and speed?  head scr'ch

walk calculations, as she runs from point A to point B to escape grenade detonation, how many steps in (variable # of frames)
    so she don't look likes she's skating.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited May 2016

Great to see you back here. About your grenede... it shouldn't roll like a sphere, smoothly. Be sure to add a bit of bounce?? or irregularity to the roll. It will make a difference in what it lands on, rock/floor or softer ground, figure in the variables. But you did say "slide across the floor" but even still give it a tiny bit or wobble which would even out near the end of it's destinaltion/explosion.

Leave the skates off of Aiko. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Physics could work well for the grenade to give realistic motion. 

sony creative sent out email, says they sold software and customer database to Magix.

been using the Sony Plat movie, Sony Acid. and Sound Forge.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

walk calculations, as she runs from point A to point B to escape grenade detonation, how many steps in (variable # of frames)
    so she don't look likes she's skating.

In the sequencer timeline,. select the hip and expand the X,Y,Z, position keyframes,.

If you have a Walk cycle (walking in place) you can add forward motion by selecting the hip,. editing the keys and moving the hip forward.

by deleting all the "forward" motion keyframes for the hip (apart from the very first key),. and adjusting the position of your figure at the end of the walk cycle,. you can eliminate foot slipping for any walk or run animation.

You can then save that animation as an NLA clip (with the forward motion),. which can then be looped in the NLA options. to keep your figure running forward, for as long as you need.

Pics can help :)

Hopefully this explains adding forward motion to a figure better.

Anim edit 1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 384K
    Anim edit 2.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 363K
    Anim edit 3.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 405K

thanks.  yeah. synchronizing translate position to foot falls and grenade wobbly rolling tricky business.

timing longer legs figure to walk along side shorter legs

i've seen utube demos of rara physics showing balls rolling on curvy paths, the roll looked like rotation was synced with distance?

i think most of us make our game characters run during game play, prolly no one has patience to watch a 3d figure actually walk somewhere, lol

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

I think you're over thinking the grenade spin, especially if you're using physics. If you need that kind of precise control over the spin, then it sounds like you need to keyframe it.

What you need to really look at is making it look as if the grenade was lofted, landed and then continues forward across a floor. The spin and stuff would come into play because of the bounce of the grenade on the floor, the friction, etc.

A few years ago, I needed a series of boxes to land and bounce off titles for a video. To keep things simple and to get a lofted look, I built a slide that had little to no friction and was off camera (and invisible just in case) that I would slide the boxes down. By the time boxes hit the end of the slide they were tumbling end over end pretty good.

The other thing to do to get a lofted look (and would be my preferred method,) would be to keyframe a directional force or forces.

edited June 2016

just to add to what EP mentions,...

physics calculates how the object rolls depending on the properties of the object, which you can set in the Effects panel,.  you don't need to think too much about how it rolls and stops,   that's the job of the physics engine,. what you need to look at are the physical properties of each object, the grenade, and the floor ,. since both surfaces effect the outcome.

drop a stone on a carpeted floor,.,. or drop an ice cube on a metal panel ,.. both give very different results because of the surface properties

Mass,. Friction , Bounce etc.. those determine how the object will behave.

All physics objects can have an "Initial velocity" (see Motion tab for any physics object) ..this is an initial starting force,. rather than allowing gravity to make the object fall,. you can set values for X,Y,Z initial velocity , and Initial Angular velocity (Rotation) of X,Y,Z ..to force the object in any direction, and/or make it spin.

after that, ...gravity, and other forces in the scene, would take over.

Different stride length's or "gates" are often an issue in animating multiple figures with different height's,. but,. you can adjust the timing of the NLA animation playback in the NLA tab,. to make smaller figure walk faster, or make the bigger,. taller, heavier figures, walk slower.

Ideally, you'd create different walk styles for each character type, with different animation loop lengths, for different figures. rather than all walks looping in 30 frames, for all figures.

:)

Post edited by 3DAGE on

And to add a little more for physics...

If you need the object to stop at a specific point, or in a specific orientation, convert the simulation to keyframes and adjust the object's stop point or orientation at the end of the simulation.

For this animation, I used a physics simulation for the dropping letters, then converted to keyframes to stop the letters from moving around, falling over, rocking back and forth, etc. by a certain point in my timeline. Ironically, people that see the animation also think the handcuffs are a physics simulation. They are not. I rigged them, and then keyframed them, and used oscillate tweeners with dampening to get the organic looking pendulum effect.

THANKS!! smiley  helps to know the correct terminology.

470$ >.<  wantz it though  http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/sfxseries1-10

need a morph on Aiko's eyelashes to make em roll down when she closes her eyes

Bought 1,000 SFX on CD long ago... were'nt as good as some of the samples from sony but very inexpensive.

quick test of Initial velocity and angular velocity .

I had fun doing these examples physics is fun,. :)  .. I added the Ring-pull and pin to the main model,. then decided to separate that as a new vertex model,, make it's motion "physics". parent it to the grenade,. and use constraints (ball joint - Limited on all axes) to limit it's rotation ,. so it's reacting to the physics.

edited June 2016

Nice!  I'm not worried... I'll just pull the pin and throw it back. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Very nice Andy! Was that the Bullet engine or the standard physics engine?

EP :)

I used the Bullet engine , which supports constraints,. so you can parent objects and limit their motion,. it's not completely accurate,. there's some drifting and resetting, ..on some frames you can see that the ring isn't inside the pin. you also need to reduce the collision distance in the main Scene/Physics tab to stop things flying apart, but it#'s a lot better than the standard physics engine

WGDJohn :)

I thought it would be safer to leave the pin in it while it's being thrown around :) .. you never know.

grenade close1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 71K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited June 2016

Very beautiful Andy!
    I'm not sure that interests the person who answered the question*, but it's a beautiful demontration for us ( We love Carrara !).
    Thank you !
    *He or she answers only very seldom the questions he (she) asked…

Post edited by DUDU on

kewl!  especilly the lil arc one makes look like it was tossed

HI Misty :)

Yes,. they're all being lobbed ,. with different force values , and some changes in friction and bounce.

The Initial velocity  allows you to set the force values for X,Y, Z ,.. so you can send it flying in any direction,. with as much force as you want,.

Here's the scene file, and texture maps ,. so you can play and experiment with physics.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Grenade_1.zip

The camera and lights are set up to follow the grenade, wherever it goes,. so you can just hit the simulate physics button,. and watch the sim,. then try adjusting the Initial Velocity forces, and Initial angular forces ,. or add some objects to the scene for the grenade to collide with,. 

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Thanks 3Dage that was wonderful now I can see how it was done and look at putting it into an animation.

Thanks Chickenman :)

Hopefully with the scene file,.. it'll be easier for others to see how simple it is to play with physics,.  it can be a really powerful tool.

thanks!! d/l grenade.

it's a rara 3-day weekend to playyy   (and a bit of crying over geograft compatibility)

thinkin ...

is there an easy workflow for my next proj?

wantta break down hapsburg by building, save a building so that when i load it again will be centered.

want to rearrange buildings and streets for my rpg-ish town

thinkin  done the bowing tree trunks in plant editor, havent done leaf level yet.

mmebbe can use physics on long leaf fronds

my main character is a storm dude, need some dramatic windiness

how can you tell which way the targethelper is facing?

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    MistyMist said:

Use the "Universal Manipulator".

universal_manipulator.png
    1280 x 1024 - 249K
    de3an said:
    MistyMist said:

Use the "Universal Manipulator".

ohhhh.  thanks!

is green arrow facing the front of the hotpoint? 

wait ... z and y reversed?  

hot point is a cube. unflateable