virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

are there pitfalls to saving mil3 figures to carrara library?

i'm rearranging/egrouping the morphs list to what seems logical on my old poser pc.

making preset chars to use a filler background people: peasants, dodgie blokes.

trying to imagine headaches might be creating for my projects in "Directing" phase?

trying the Gatwyck shops.  put the duf and poser version side by side.

windows on empty buildings tricky.  dont want a transparent glass shader

whats the difference tween backdrops and backgrounds?

how do you control shadow intensity on sunlight?

diff tween backgrounds and backdrops.JPG
    281 x 269 - 19K
    how to control shadow intensity for sunlight.JPG
    500 x 606 - 57K
    gatwyck test, ps, duf, duf.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    gatwyck pot shop, left duf, right poser,sunlight.png
    720 x 405 - 297K
    gatwyck pot shop, left poser, right duf,sunlight.png
    720 x 405 - 289K
    realistic sky 02.png
    720 x 405 - 205K
    realistic sky 17.png
    720 x 405 - 245K
    edited August 2016

when you save a rigged prop to rara library, do you grab from top of the tree? or inder where it says model?

edit - need the whole tree.

grab whole tree, eh.JPG
    931 x 678 - 131K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Windows - try a dark grey diffuse colour and add some reflection.

Backgrounds are (usually very large, and sometimes hdri) images that are completely wrapped around your scene, kind of like a skydome but they go under the ground too.  Backdrops are mapped to your camera window, so you can composite your 3d elements into a photo, or pre-rendered background.  Shadow catchers can be useful with both if these, have a look in the manual about using these, but ask if you get stuck.

okay.  Thanks!

is there a way to hide a bunch of body parts at once?
    like, select right thigh down to all the toes?
    is there a way hide it all at one go?

i tried shift, but it's all highlighted yellow as soon as i select the right thigh.
    was wondering if a secret key combo to hide all the highlighted at once?  and visa versa.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

That bites... I've tried and not been able to hide multiple parts either with V4.2 or G2f base... tried drag select figure parts and both Shift and Ctrl select. Below is not an answer to your question but a way to delete what you don't want.

Curious...I selected the entire figure, G1F, and entered the Vertex Room.... drag selected the lower half of the figure's polys an chose View/Hide Selected... then went back to Assembly Room and they were indeed gone. I then saved this to my objects directory which saved the partial figure as a vertex object. Closed down Carrara, re-started then opened an empty scene and loaded the partial figure. This somewhat worked... by doing it as I the figure no longer has any bones or morphs and would need to be rigged again. All the textures/shaders are still intact... even for the hidden parts so I rendered it and the entire figure, head to toe, were shown. Found out why... even though I hid parts in the Vertex room they still exist. So went back and unprotected the figure, deleted the parts not wanted then deleted the Shaders not used. Now loads/renders properly. Note also that now the Shaders are all messed up and need more work than originally to look good in Carrara.

Oh.. yeah... I didn't try posing the figure first.

I don't know any secret key combos personally. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    wgdjohn said:

That bites... I've tried and not been able to hide multiple parts either with V4.2 or G2f base... tried drag select figure parts and both Shift and Ctrl select. Below is not an answer to your question but a way to delete what you don't want.

For good reason, too. Here's the thing:

Select the Hip of a M4 or V4. Hmmm... everything below Hip turns Yellow (selected) because Hip is the height of the Hierarchy in the rigging. 

If making that invisible made everything selected invisible, we'd have a pretty useless system for using rigged characters!

I'm not that familiar with using Genesis or newer figures (DUF). But with Generation 4 figures, I can drag-select within the Vertex Modeler and go View > Hide selected, and it will not only hide them in the modeler, but hide them in renders as well - so that's how I prefer to do it. I love V4 and M4 figures for that!

I think I recall that not working the same fore the DUF figures.

============================================================================

So if you're not doing it like that, what you need to do is to take your time and work your way up the hierachy from the bottom-most parts that you need to make invisible.

But wait... that's not all you can do!

We can also use our wonderful Texture room to help!

Since these things will be invisible anyways, the efficient thing to do is to NOT load texture maps for them, right?

I make a shader that I call: "Invisible". Here's how:

New Master Shader > Click every channel to "None" (again, for efficiency to the scene and render) except for Alpha, which I set to Value 1-100 = 0%

Now add that shader to all shading domains that need to disappear. You'll still see them a bit in working view, but they won't render.

*Note that, if you need invisibility to only part of a shading domain, we may also edit the figure in the Vertex Modeler to give it a new shading domain! We could even make one huge selection of various parts that otherwise would be in many different domains, and still apply them to a single domain and quickly set them invisible - so perhaps we should call this domain: "Invisible"

MistyMist said:

are there pitfalls to saving mil3 figures to carrara library?

i'm rearranging/egrouping the morphs list to what seems logical on my old poser pc.

making preset chars to use a filler background people: peasants, dodgie blokes.

trying to imagine headaches might be creating for my projects in "Directing" phase?

I can't remeber if it was Mil3 or if they were earlier... but, yeah... I remember getting funky results with some of the older Millennium figures. I don't think they were Mil3 though... I think they were older, like M2.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

There are a few hide utilities I use, Xurge has V3 M3 V4 M4 ones in poses for his stuff and Genesis has some, still need to do all G2F & M toes.

Yeah! Xurge!!! I think Uzelite has some in his too... forgot about that, even though that's how I did Dartan's lower half!

Thanks, She, whom loves Cats!!! :)

[cut] ... [see above for full description]

I'm not that familiar with using Genesis or newer figures (DUF). But with Generation 4 figures, I can drag-select within the Vertex Modeler and go View > Hide selected, and it will not only hide them in the modeler, but hide them in renders as well - so that's how I prefer to do it. I love V4 and M4 figures for that!

I'd not tried the drag select on multiple character parts for V4... only on Genesis 1 and 2. Will give pre-genesis a try.
    [cut]

So if you're not doing it like that, what you need to do is to take your time and work your way up the hierachy from the bottom-most parts that you need to make invisible.

I did exactly that... well not exactly. I hid the thigh first and worked my way down to toes in the hierchy.

Since these things will be invisible anyways, the efficient thing to do is to NOT load texture maps for them, right?

New Master Shader > Click every channel to "None" (again, for efficiency to the scene and render) except for Alpha, which I set to Value 1-100 = 0%

Now add that shader to all shading domains that need to disappear. You'll still see them a bit in working view, but they won't render.

*Note that, if you need invisibility to only part of a shading domain, we may also edit the figure in the Vertex Modeler to give it a new shading domain! We could even make one huge selection of various parts that otherwise would be in many different domains, and still apply them to a single domain and quickly set them invisible - so perhaps we should call this domain: "Invisible"

Great idea for an Invisible shader. I had thought instead of trying it with Transpanancy set the opposite... give it full transparancy and turning all others to "none".... I've not tried it yet tho.

This has made me think of  making a bust or head to hip version of a character. Perhaps I'll try again in the Vertex room and post my results in my modeling thread. I've another object to make first.

Either way neigther is very fast/quick which is basically what Misty asked.

Where can I find Xurge and/or Uzelite? So far I've searched Google and DAZ.

http://www.daz3d.com/uzilite

There is a Xurge 3D who has his own website, if he is the one?

wgdjohn said:

[cut] ... [see above for full description]

I'd not tried the drag select on multiple character parts for V4... only on Genesis 1 and 2. Will give pre-genesis a try.
    [cut]

I did exactly that... well not exactly. I hid the thigh first and worked my way down to toes in the hierchy.

Great idea for an Invisible shader. I had thought instead of trying it with Transpanancy set the opposite... give it full transparancy and turning all others to "none".... I've not tried it yet tho.

This has made me think of  making a bust or head to hip version of a character. Perhaps I'll try again in the Vertex room and post my results in my modeling thread. I've another object to make first.

Either way neigther is very fast/quick which is basically what Misty asked.

when i try bringing in minotaur6, g2m's leg parts arent hidden

Yes Xurge 3D has some awesome outfits, I own heaps, I am sure that visibility utility could be saved as a pose somehow in DS or Poser too I just do not know how, then one could to custom body parts, must look at the Genesis duf one in notepad.

Thanks PhilW I guess that is what Dart was talking about.

edited August 2016
    MistyMist said:

Dart did mention that they may still be visible in the Assembly room. Did you try a render to see if by setting an Invisible shader to the domains worked and the parts will no longer be seen?

wgdjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

Dart did mention that they may still be visible in the Assembly room. Did you try a render to see if by setting an Invisible shader to the domains worked and the parts will no longer be seen?

i was hiding each leg body part, but i ran out of energy after his shins, needed more caffeine.

kinda given up on any raw art in carrara. 

orcs just aren't good foes for dragons.  the Minotaurs are tougher looking.  and if i don't use minotaurs will have to rewrite a couple of chapters.  made too many 'hamburger' jokes as far as dragon taunts.

Sad said:

Yes Xurge 3D has some awesome outfits, I own heaps, I am sure that visibility utility could be saved as a pose somehow in DS or Poser too I just do not know how, then one could to custom body parts, must look at the Genesis duf one in notepad.

in poser pz2, would change hidden 0 to hidden 1

oh notepad hack for fast mipmap to sampling find replace filt 3 with filt 0

I might try a few others when feeling keen, you can too

edited August 2016

watching 5th element for this weekend's inspiration.

like the lil dance corbin's neighbor does, one with the 'nice hat'

Post edited by Mistara on
  • MistyMist said:

Seen it like 25 time so far, lol, here is flying car for free on Sketchfab, it's very nice and low poly (not a Taxi though...):

https://sketchfab.com/models/f180482b2e794098bedc4d0e6efc5a31

Cheers smiley

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited August 2016

Trying the Sketchfab code, lol ...

Did not work sad

Post edited by FifthElement on

love the flying chinese fast food boat  heart

splishy splash.  splish splish splash, more splish then splash

release the kracken, extreme splish

MistyMist said:

Seen it like 25 time so far, lol, here is flying car for free on Sketchfab, it's very nice and low poly (not a Taxi though...):

https://sketchfab.com/models/f180482b2e794098bedc4d0e6efc5a31

Cheers smiley

I never would have guessed you liked that film cheeky

Sad, I can't imagine anyone not liking 5th Element.

I have only seen it the once, several years ago. I remember thinking half way through, what the hell is this, is it a spoof, or am I meant to be taking this seriously?! No doubting it is hugely inventive though.

edited August 2016

Phil, It's comical, action packed, si-fi/fantasy, entertaining and had quite a few big name actors. Nobody should take it seriously. It is rather silly...perhaps thats part of it's appeal.