virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

gahh

g2m gargoyle working better than the minotaur.  gaps showing in the legs tesxture.  found a kewl shader dinosaur skin under misc.  

2:30 am smiley  carrarathon-ing since 12 hours ago

this whole time my minotaur 1st issue problem was his scaling.  applied his shape and wearables without scaling, voila

and now i know what yoos were all talking about with uvs and the geografts >.<

i took the legs into wrench room, turned off protected topology, looked in uv tab, and it fits texture map just like is supposed to,

tried the checker pattern, holy psychedelic! batman ??

whats up with the leg uvs.JPG
    1437 x 600 - 164K
    minotaurUVS.png
    1730 x 2000 - 937K
    minotaur5.png
    1730 x 2000 - 2M
    minotaur.png
    1730 x 2000 - 987K
    gargoyle1.png
    1330 x 2000 - 1M
    gargoye4.png
    1730 x 2000 - 3M
    kitteh mage.jpg
    845 x 2000 - 237K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited August 2016

video

use a proceedural, I used shag carpet with diffuse two colour  mix operator noise factory

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

it's interesting. smiley

in poser with kinetics on, a figure's hips would move, but his feet stick, he wouldnt get very far that way.
    i think, in DS they call it pinning?
    what do we call it in carrara?

i'm thinkin forget the legs and put wicked looking stomping boots on him. high heels?  tee hee
    or screw it, make movie with leg uvs messed up, how bad does it look, really

gonna hold off on the press release for now  lol

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Yeah was a M4/V4 dance and geografts as well as G2M foot bending did not help.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Inverse Kinematics (IK for short)

If you try this,..

Open carrara,. go to File/open,. then browse to your DS/Poser content ,. find V4 or M4,. click to open the figure ,. and in the Carrara "import" panel,. click the option to "ADD IK helpers"

this will create IK helpers for the hands and feet,.

NOTE:  posing and animating should be done by moving  these helpers,. rather than by moving the bones,. as the bones are now set-up to follow the IK targets.

You can still move other parts of the figure which are not effected by the IK, such as the HIP or head,..

that's how the HIP can be moved without effecting the Feet or Hands. the feet and hands are being controlled by the position of the IK Target Helper Objects.

You can set IK on any rigged object,. you can also add constraints to limit the movement of the joints.

You can use the IK Chain tool,. on the left hand toolbar to click the first and last bones,. to create an IK chain, and create a little IK helper cube at the end of the IK chain.

experiment with a simple object,. add some bones, attach the bones to the model. then add IK to the bones by using the IK chain tool.

Hope it helps

edited August 2016

Thank You!!  

Inverse Kinematics was a big missing chunk of the carrara puzzle!!!

quiet on set!!  
    set, which set? which set?  doh. on my dayjob compy, limited selection with me.
    starry skies, i think.  and the lovely milky way model.  

my notes:  ahg. stickies everywhere. 
    there was a black hole at the center? 
    you wouldn't normally see light coming out of a black hole. by definition, tee hee.
    does only light go in there?  it's prolly be pretty dense in there if everything gets sucked in.
    hey, maybe that's what caused the big bang, something came out of the black hole, 

"Director Misty," asks a papparazzi, "what inspired this universe?"
    "well you see, there was this song, went on about a little ship called Rocinante, wheeling through the galaxy on her final flight, to the heart of cygnus x-1 fearsome force ..."

used to think i wanted it to look like a Final Fantasy cutscene.  watching the witcher3 playthroughs has totally changed my vision of what i want my movie to look like.

Post edited by Mistara on

thinkin, could use a particle emitter to fill up modeled milkway arms with startty bits?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    MistyMist said:

thinkin, could use a particle emitter to fill up modeled milkway arms with startty bits?

Surface replicator! Apply some randomness to everything, as well as using several different sized... whatever you want to use for stars. ;)

edited August 2016

thanks, i've never tried surface replicator inside a container. lessee what happens

animating the origin of a universe should be epic.  blowin my mind thinking about.  my brain keeps lookin at the sun as the center, but it's really the black hole.  err, but there more than one black hole, ?  so, what is at the center 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited August 2016

Agree on the surface replicator. You can even paint little white swirls on a grey background so that the stars cluster in certain areas like galaxies or constellations. 

Misty, have you considered modeling your own Minotaur legs as conforming clothes rather than use the leg geografts?  Grow hair on them and create a new shader domain on the Minotaur to make the existing legs invisible where your conforming legs will go.  That way you can use the rest of the figure and still have really scary hairy legs. Might be easier than solving the geograft problem. 

EDIT: The hair idea is to obscure where the conforming legs meet the Minoaur torso.  If you grow hair on the torso and the monster legs then it might appear more seamless.

Post edited by Diomede on

Suggesting a strategy similar to this M4 product.

http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-creature-creator-add-ons

Come to think of it, you don't have to have your legs conform.  You could just parent them.  That way you could have backward bending knees or some other cool feature that you think of.

MistyMist said:

thanks, i've never tried surface replicator inside a container. lessee what happens

animating the origin of a universe should be epic.  blowin my mind thinking about.  my brain keeps lookin at the sun as the center, but it's really the black hole.  err, but there more than one black hole, ?  so, what is at the center 

The center of everything? Nothing. Oblivion. Which is what happens when there's a war between matter and anti-matter... stuff decides to not exist anymore.

The center of galaxies, however, is a super-massive black hole - at least my theory is that all non-irregular galaxies have them at their center.

Super-Massive does not, however, say anything about their actual size - just their mass. A fraction of a teaspoon of Black Hole can weigh in on the megaton scale... just a fraction!

The amount of food that they curently have to digest has a lot to do with their current size - the more we eat, the bigger we get.

Our SMBH, at the heart of the Milky Way, is currently chomping away at but a few stars - but it IS eating... so it's not in a stagnant phase, shrunk. It's happy and plump! That is how it was proven (as much as we can provide proof from mild teensy Earth) to truly exist - the silhouette - the crazy slingshot orbit of those stars calculated (by their relative tiny orbits) to be closest to the center.

diomede said:

Suggesting a strategy similar to this M4 product.

http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-creature-creator-add-ons

Those things truly are an excellent addition to any Runtime!

Still, my favorite Beastman figure award has to go out to Predatron's Angor figure!

He has a built in morph which allows him to wear M4 clothing, as long as they support the Body Builder morph. But who really needs clothes on this fella, except for those that Predatron already made for him, right? 

I don't use him as a monster, though. He's a friend. But with a little bribing, he finally agreed to strike a more menacing pose. 

He's not as scary as Minotaur 6, but he certainly has Cool Factor!

Predatron started using what we know of as Morphforms before Daz3d ever put them (officially at least) on their figures: Head/Neck Bend, Torso Twist, etc., and Angor has all of that built right in. His Cleric kit can make him look pretty darned intimidating as well... but he can sport most that beautiful armor made for Michael 4 - Upper Armor looks great on this Beasty!

He also has a lot of really nice built-in (no need to INJ) morphs, so we can host a bunch of these guys - each with an individual look - as they also have three main colors and some variations between those - and here he's showing off his conforming hairy legs... but he looks and works fine without that too.

Additionally, he can have both set of horns on (shown here) each set can be straight or curly, or just one set, or none. His head has morphs to finish off the look (shown here) if he's wearing either (or both) sets.

Even with the bump map cranked way up beyond 100, I think you'll agree that he come with some pretty cool textures! ;)

I'm using a spot light with a gel, and the gel is used as fog in the Light Cone effect to create the bright moon light from behind.

Well, I had to do something... this scene is otherwise empty! ;)

edited August 2016

Well, I guess with all of that back-lighting, we can't really tell how cool his textures are. Here are some of his promos:

Clicking an Image takes you to the store page for Angor

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited August 2016

OK, did a little experimenting.  Here is another possible strategy.  Load the G2M minotaur.  Select the legs.  Unconform them from G2M.  The shaders should look OK now.  Select the G2M.  Select the actor level and enter the modeling room.  Select from the feet up to about mid thigh.  Create a new shading domain.  Go to the shader room for the new shading domain and set the alpha to zero to hide the legs.  Apply the same pose to the G2M minotaur and the minotaur legs.  See if they line up.  Note, I got an error when I tried to apply a minotaur specific pose after I unconformed the legs, but I was still able to apply other G2M poses. 

Might be a bit tedious, but I think you can experiment with the shading domain until you get a good alignment.  And again, I think applying some hair might hide some seams.  I haven't done animations so I don't know if this would be a workable solution over a whole cycle. 

EDIT: remember, you will be able to morph the meshes in the vertex modeling room.

mnotaur thoughts.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
    Post edited by Diomede on

I wonder how closely Genesis 2 and Genesis 1 match up for poses.

I have two (at least) RawArt characters for Genesis 1 that come with the same, cooperative "Hoof" morph called "Genihooves". Both my Demon Rafael and Satyros use the same morph for their hooves - and it looks great. No geograft necessary!

edited September 2016

I wonder how closely Genesis 2 and Genesis 1 match up for poses.

I have two (at least) RawArt characters for Genesis 1 that come with the same, cooperative "Hoof" morph called "Genihooves". Both my Demon Rafael and Satyros use the same morph for their hooves - and it looks great. No geograft necessary!

Oh... except for the horns... they are geograft and I don't think I've ever had them working.... Been a while since I've played with them

But for that I can easily add or model something else to just paerent to the head... this whole leg issue is different.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

thanks!!

hafta rest my eyes a bit

ToeJam said:

Yeah was a M4/V4 dance and geografts as well as G2M foot bending did not help.

minotaur's poses were giving error message.  something about an object.
    minotaur diva
    i bet live actors are prolly worse.  minotaurs arent unionized.  

MistyMist said:

trickier making morphs on morphs !!!

want to add ear movement morphs to genesis catfolk. catfolk ears are morphs to begin with 

It's situations like that where it might be a lot more beneficial to export the shaped Genesis as OBJ, then make the needed morphs from that. If you check out Josh Darling's YouTube channel, he'll even show you how to make the morphs work Only if the Cat shape is dialed up! ;)

The Josh Man Rocketh!!!

not seeing any carrara tutts, guess he pulled them all

MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

trickier making morphs on morphs !!!

want to add ear movement morphs to genesis catfolk. catfolk ears are morphs to begin with 

It's situations like that where it might be a lot more beneficial to export the shaped Genesis as OBJ, then make the needed morphs from that. If you check out Josh Darling's YouTube channel, he'll even show you how to make the morphs work Only if the Cat shape is dialed up! ;)

The Josh Man Rocketh!!!

not seeing any carrara tutts, guess he pulled them all

Nope. They're all Daz Studio. Where he talks about exporting an OBJ of Genesis' base figure to the modeler of choice, we just open Genesis in Carrara.

While Genesis loads in set to render with SubD smoothing of 2, Model level is set to 0, which is the equivalent of what he's referring to as Base resolution figure.

I always link to his channel, because he's THE expert at this stuff at Daz3d. So if we, as Carrara artists, want to add morphs or build clothing or hair (etc) for Genesis (1, 2 or 3), we can use his channel to figure out what we need to do in DS to get the rigging set up correctly, weight map adjustments, create new sliders on the Base Figure... whatever.

Genesis has been developed as a means of being able to produce and sell realistic (and not-so-realistic) poseable 3d figures and assets that make them turn into such a variety of things that it will appeal to home users and pro studios alike. That's the business of Daz3d.

Daz Studio 4+ has been developed right along side of the original Genesis figure as Daz3d's very own type of software which allows its customers to easily load in, pose, and change these figures - as well as the legacy generations - and is meant to do so without a lot of confusion.

That's why it's default interface isn't all set up for content creation, but for loading, dressing, styling, posing, and shooting a render.

Content Creators are often quite savvy to figuring out how to find ways to access more advanced tools. To help them with this, Daz Studio developers included very simple ways to set up the interface geared more for the workflow of creation, like the City Limits interface preset, for example, but also having easy ways to design our own DS interface layouts. When we're still learning, however, it's best to not change it to a point where tutorials no longer make sense! LOL

Anyways... I say all of this because, when Daz3d first began, it was pushing the edge of technology for figures for use in Poser. Well it started to look like Poser was going to be dropped, its development haulted. Daz3d started in earnest to create a replacement Poser-style software - and D|S beta was born... and it was temporarily Free.

Back then it used the Poser Runtime structure as it's main source library, but eventually grew into its own, while still being able to accept the Poser structure.

===================================================================================

Genesis creation and development never had any intention of Carrara compatibility. But while DS 4 and Genesis (then called "Unimesh") were still under development - not released to the public yet, Daz3d did come into the old forum at the time and proposed a poll to anyone interested to use it - it asked if we were interested in them adding compatibility to their up-coming new figure platform, among many other questions about the future of Carrara.

I was amazed to find out that some people didn't vote for the figure compatibility development, and still disagree that it's important to Carrara development. I mean... I can understand that some people don't want to use what they call Daz Dollies. But how does anyone ever expect Carrara to survive if it can't help draw sales of modern products from the Daz3d store? 

Anyways... so when it comes to Genesis, Daz3d really only supports its compatibility with Daz Studio - as those two elements are actually kind of one-in-the-same. DS = Genesis, Genesis = DS.

Just before Eovia sold out to Daz3d, they've ported Carrara to be able to import Poser figures and work with them natively, as if we were working within Poser - as far as working with Poser figures is concerned. This was Carrara 5 Pro, and it had "TransPoser", an Import interface fro bringing in Poser stuff. I saw a guy working with this version the first time I've ever heard of Carrara.

Daz3d bought Carrara, and I think that development was already well underway to help in them releasing their first Daz3d version of Carrara - Carrara 6, Carrara 6 Pro and Carrara Express came in there somewhere, which was a cheaper version with just a taste (?) of the functionality.

Carrara 6 Pro is the version that introduced Carrara's first dynamic hair - not including the cool DCG plugin, Anything Grows. It also removed TransPoser and added the Content tab, so we can just load Poser stuff in just like we would do in Poser... except that (at least on my computer) Carrara's content tab refesh was a LOT faster than Poser!

So Carrara is a special case. Although it was ported to be able to work with Poser and Daz3d content like no other modeler software can, it's not to be expected to be 'the compatible' software to which the products are developed.

Daz3d is still cool to artists creating stuff for Poser. These things still work in Daz Studio. They are also cool ablout making content FOR Carrara. But we Carrara users must never put the hammer down on them if some of the DS or even Poser products don't work properly in Carrara. The last thing we want to do as Carrara users is to give Daz3d a headache every time the word Carrara comes up. My opinion.

We really are lucky that this stuff works as well as it does in Carrara. It's not like that with the $12,000 (? or whatever) Maya suite, or Modo, or Zbrush, or LightWave... I'm not sure about C4D. A former Carrara user whom never really caught on to the poser-style interface eventually moved on to C4D and swears that Daz3d content just works as expected in C4D without issue. When I look into it in forums or on YouTube, however (haven't tried that in a long time though), that doesn't seem to be true. 

I don't think Daz3d or Poser content works (like ahving morph dials, poseable, animateable rigging, etc,) in any version of Vue, Bryce... anything. I was looking for such a software option before buying Carrara... I couldn't find any 3d modeler that had this capability. I'm simply not interested in the import/export back and forth thing - not for what I'm doing. And working directly in Poser or DS wasn't working either. I needed to have a modeler on hand. I need to be able to tweak on the fly.

Anyways... I'm hoping that this story (I think it's fairly accurate, but is coming from my memory, and I just came from surgery, so the anesthesia is still messing with my head) helps to soften the blow when we come across Daz3d or other marketplace content that doesn't quite work as expected in Carrara. Carrara does a really decent job with this stuff for the most part... we truly are a lucky breed, us Carraraists! ;)

animating puzzle, rapid eye movement under closed eyelids aka rem sleep

With Generation 4 or newer Daz3d figures, I feel this would be pretty easy. Generation 4 has seen the introduction of what Daz3d calls Morphforms, which are morph dials that control joint rotations and morphs together to create a unified look of the name of the dial. 

I would use these to start with and see if I'd need anything special. The one to start with is Eyes SIde to Side.

At frame zero, set them to the left. I'm not sure if I'g go all the way left - probably not. 

Then go to the end of the timeling and set it the same as above, but to the right.

Now I add an Oscillation or Noise tweener and test the results.

If it could use some help from Eyes Up Down, I'd introduce a little of that on those same two key frames and check again.

I think the main key ingrdient would be to set that tweener up at just the right speed and type of response.

What thread were you talking about the Minotaur in? I thought it was this one. Hmmm...

Anyways, with my movie back on track, I had to bring out Troglodyte, and I think you were showing interest in them, so I thought I'd show you some quick renders.

First one is the High Res version, just loaded in a quickly optimized the way I always start with shaders. The High Res version has some excellent morphs added to his face and works well in close-ups. He also has a bazillion Morphforms type morphs for individual movements of individual joints - dial morphs. So if we use, say, M4 or V4 motion file on him, and they just don't have the right bends, instead of using the graph editor we can use these cool morph dials! LR version has those too! 

Second image is the Low Res version, which is really Low Res. He's sporting the curly horns, which I've added SubD smoothing to. The rest of him is just the way he is - except that I quickly optimized his shaders kinda the same way, but even quicker.

TroglodyteHR_sample.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 522K
    TroglodyteLR_sample.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 466K

Trodlodytes can be made to look pretty scary! Just put him in a darl alley with high-contrast, scary lighting and... well... we puddle the alley way! :)

...and even scarier if we replicate a bazillion LR versions in a horde behind him!

Predatron's store was on sale today, so I (finally!!!) bought the most awesome "Droid"!!! Haven't even loaded him yet - but I know I'm gonna love this thing! Next up... Droid!!!

High Res

Low Res

futzing with the collada again.  and the ik

bought the aiko7

edited September 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA   Carrara haz a mention smiley 

and cheddar cheese?  lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrara_(software)

was all interesting reading.  think something wonky with twist axis?  no clues.