virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i didnt save the scene, thanks though. smiley

wasted some time attempting to get g3m in.  i feel like i tortured him devil

exporting fbx (ds 4.8) was no geometry 

tried cr2 again

and collada dae

Doc4.png
    1240 x 725 - 868K
    facebonesposie.JPG
    937 x 539 - 96K
    g3m rara collada.png
    1240 x 725 - 646K
    g3m via collada bones.JPG
    1287 x 569 - 124K
    g3m via collada dae.JPG
    1299 x 641 - 127K
    grm to cr2 to rara.JPG
    1288 x 672 - 128K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

It's hard to get rid of atmospheric haze. I've even lowered the horizon line as far as I could and still got it in there. I can't remember if I ever truly got rid of it? Maybe try making the three haze values 0, 0, and 0 to turn them black. I think I tried that, hoping that it would result in invisible, but it just turned it black... can't remember.

Most of the times I use RS, I'm also using the fog setting in RS at about 10 to 12 density and around 12 altitude, which hides that whole haze thing.

edited August 2016

Thanks!  giving it a try.  wasn't sure if it was part of the fakegi, there's a hidden skydome in the hedgegrow scene. background trees.

rendering a forest moon, mebbe should wait for a 12core or more compy

i nabbed the dariofish catfolk for gn1.  anxious how they will look in rara.

their ears need some morph movement.  hoping to add the morphs directly in carrara.  put some o these tutorials to work!! smiley

the mildog needs some ear movement too.  and a few elf ear characters. and dimpled smiles.

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited August 2016

thinkin, the best place to end an inkychain on a human figure.  

thinkin like, a body handle after the hand?  don't think a target helper can be part of a rigged figure.

don't comprehend all the ramifications of the single mesh concept.  
    with the single mesh, need the entire body to create a nose morph, 
    in poser is a group of meshes, can do a swap body part thing. need just his head to create a nose morph.

but what does carrara do?  is it a single mesh or mesh grouped together in bodyparts?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I think the issue is that you need to specify a morph zone to create a new morph in Carrara.  If you want to morph his nose, then you can select the head, or face, or whatever the appropriate area is, and morph away no problem. But what if you want to create a morph across multiple body zones? Using existing areas, you would have to morph each area separately, and then have an endless job in order to make them match across zone boundaries - or create a new morph area that is "whole body" and this simplifies the task immensely.

The meshes in Carrara are no different than in Poser - they are all single meshes.  Poser does not use a group of meshes, and the swapping of body parts is just parenting an object to a bone and hiding the original area (which is only a part of the whole mesh) associated with that bone. You can easily do that in Carrara if that gives you the effect you want.

I hope this helps.

thanks.  

i'se totally bafflematized by rara morph channels.   naming parameter sliders , 

poser parameter dials named 'open door' for instance, dont see it in the carrara list.  been rotating directly with the rotate tool

this is my old poser7 render with the procedural "bone" shader i'se tryin to convert to rara,  before next halloween >.<

MistyMist said:

thanks.  

poser parameter dials named 'open door' for instance, dont see it in the carrara list.  been rotating directly with the rotate tool

Some dials (particularly morphs on Prop-type items) are not in the Parameters tab, but in the General tab in the upper tray.

Some dials don't work at all in Carrara. In those cases, I either just use the rotate tool and select the items separately like that... or (especially if the rotate tool won't work - like when there's nothing to select to turn) I'll open the item in Poser, turn the dials wide open and save it as a new figure, then open that new figure in Carrara. Often the dials will now work, So I dial them all closed again and save it as a CAR file in my browser ;)

MistyMist said:

thanks.  

Some dials (particularly morphs on Prop-type items) are not in the Parameters tab, but in the General tab in the upper tray.

Some dials don't work at all in Carrara. In those cases, I either just use the rotate tool and select the items separately like that... or (especially if the rotate tool won't work - like when there's nothing to select to turn) I'll open the item in Poser, turn the dials wide open and save it as a new figure, then open that new figure in Carrara. Often the dials will now work, So I dial them all closed again and save it as a CAR file in my browser ;)

MistyMist said:

this is my old poser7 render with the procedural "bone" shader i'se tryin to convert to rara,  before next halloween >.<

AWESOME!

thanks smiley

almost weekend, carrara playtime 

Level of Detail isn't subdivision???
    was thinking could add a smoothing or subdivision level to the monkey business.

different levels of detail based on the distance from the camera sounds great, but is swapping meshes?

how would i add a subdivision level to monkey, adj smoothing(crease) angle?
    my first time clicking the lod button,  this whole time thought it was subdivision.

thanks!smiley

according to this, can save a wm to load later.smiley

levelofdetail,subdivision.JPG
    956 x 652 - 112K
    Doc5mky.png
    1240 x 1003 - 456K
    Doc4monkeybiz.png
    1240 x 1003 - 443K
    can save a wm for loading later.JPG
    715 x 160 - 26K

Misty - you are all over the place, aren't you!  LoD means that you can swap meshes for a lower level of detail one when it is further away, and has nothing to do with subdivision.  If the figure has at least one level of smoothing already (Genesis and G2 for example), you will see a Smooth control on the panel to the right.  If not, you would need to go into the vertex editor, select the whole figure and turn on Smoothing (which is subdivision) - I can't remember if you need to unprotect the figure for this or not, can't check right now, but I am sure others will chip in.

edited August 2016

thanks.  i'll give ut a try,  hoping monkey doesn't lose his morphs.

seeing the smooth dot.

TBD >.<  starting to hate those 3 letters, lol

wuhohs, carrara(not responding)

monkey smooth.JPG
    992 x 584 - 99K
    TBD.JPG
    741 x 534 - 78K

here we go smiley  set the render subd to 4.  his tail looks wayy better.

Thanks!!

now to see what these other things do.  like uv subdivision convert

mondey rendersubd4.png
    1240 x 1003 - 429K

4 is a really high level of subdivision - every extra level increases your number of polygons four-fold, so one poly becomes 4 polys at 1 level of SubD, 16 polys at 2 levels, 64 polys at 3 levels and a whopping 256 polys for EVERY poly in the original mesh at 4 levels.  You should try 2, maybe 3 at a push, but I doubt any higher is going to make much difference.

edited August 2016

4 was a bit much !

applied smoothing and modeling level 2,  his head morphs still work 

about to click the convert button. dunno what will happen.  

morphs stopped working doh

i think setting the modeling level without clicking convert, didn't do anything, why the morphs still worked.

Nooooo! Don't click the Convert button, this will "bake" the extra polys into the mesh, thus changing the mesh, which is why the morphs no longer work.  It is useful when you are doing your own modelling and starting with an outline model, and then need to add extra detail at a higher mesh resolution, but you should never use it on a product figure mesh.

what i thought was model level2 was only the smoothing,

1 - tail smooth-none
    2 - tail smooth on, model lvl1
    3 - tail smmoth on, model lvl2

oh well.  next is to try creating an ear morph test, in posed position!

tail smooth off.png
    1240 x 1003 - 509K
    tail smoothing modellvl1.png
    1240 x 1003 - 508K
    tail smoothing modlvl2.png
    1240 x 1003 - 506K

Thoughts on LOD:

Yes, Carrara has LOD options available separately. But Carrara already does a beautiful job of being lightning fast when rendering things at a distance - even if they're quite high-res! So we don't really need to set things up separately for it.

Thoughts on SubD:

Well, Model level means "Okay, we're going to add this extra smoothing all the time - even when we don't need it to be there - like when we're working on other parts of the scene, shaders, lighting, whatever... it'll ALWAYS be applied as long as smoothing is turned on"

So model level is good for getting a quick visual of how well the chosen level of SubD works. Then we can crank it back to 0.

Render Level is how much smoothing happens at render time. But I think you knew that.

So... when adding SubD, we're supposed to go one level at a time. Notice that, as we add a level to Model level, the Render level automatically goes that high as well - unless its already higher than that.

Just keep in mind that most figures you buy will already be fairly mesh-optimized. If you really want level two for your monkey... that's fine. But it's better to start with one and try that first... just sayin' ;)

thanks smiley  yeah, his tail needed it, was seeing the vert points.

intending to see how it does for terai yuki2.

makin morphs practice not going so well, mebbe i'm doing wrong order, i see the plus sign. adds morph target##. and a pencil button.

should sleep a few hours, so tired can barely move mousie

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited August 2016

Enjoy your snooze.

I do have Tera Yuki 2 buried in an old runtime.  Man, could have been using it all this time.  Cool figure.  Here are the steps that I used to make a nose morph (just standard morph, not in the posed position).  Note, the validation of the morph was done by clicking the pencil icon a second time.  There were no separate save and validate buttons like for my custom all-Carrara figures.

- load TY2

- select a body part in the skeleton (I went to the head)

- enter the modeling room and go to the morph tab

- TY2 has existing morph areas and existing morph subgroups.  I selected the head area and then the brows-eyes subgroup and clicked the + symbol to create a new morph

- I accepted the default name for the morph.  Carrara sent me back to the figure level.  I returned to the head brows eyes group.

- I selected the new empty morph and clicked the pencil icon to edit the morph.

- The mesh turned green.  I used the standard vertex modeler selection and manipulation tools to give TY2 a pinoccio nose.

- I clcked the pencil icon a second time to validate and accept the new morph.

- Carrara returned me to the default mesh.

- I returned to the Assemble room and selected the head body part of TY2 and went to the parameters tab.  The new morph could be found in the middle of the list (aargh) among the brows morphs because that is the group I put it in.

- I used the morph dial to give TY2 a longer nose.

aaa 1 morph tab look at head morph zone.JPG
    1530 x 962 - 172K
    aaa 2 select group brows and hit plus to add morph target.JPG
    1485 x 901 - 159K
    aaa 4 mesh turns green.JPG
    1372 x 795 - 137K
    aaa 6 click pencil again to validate changes.JPG
    1497 x 909 - 174K
    aaa 8 morph dial is among the brow morphs because in that group.JPG
    1425 x 879 - 139K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

Misty,  Are you going for a glossy/shiney fur on the monkey? Highlight and Shininess both seem very high for fur and make it look very plastic looking.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

was the default poser texture.  was too busy worrying about the crease angle, or non-smoothing, on his tail.

cute Yuki-nochio smiley  thanks for step-by-step.   was trying to find one on utoob.  

utoob search foo.  morphs. and attach skeleton.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Understand being too busy. :)

trickier making morphs on morphs !!!

want to add ear movement morphs to genesis catfolk. catfolk ears are morphs to begin with 

MistyMist said:

trickier making morphs on morphs !!!

want to add ear movement morphs to genesis catfolk. catfolk ears are morphs to begin with 

It's situations like that where it might be a lot more beneficial to export the shaped Genesis as OBJ, then make the needed morphs from that. If you check out Josh Darling's YouTube channel, he'll even show you how to make the morphs work Only if the Cat shape is dialed up! ;)

The Josh Man Rocketh!!!

thanks, will check out the josh smiley

MistyMist said:

thanks, will check out the josh smiley

With all of the stuff you're doing... I just have a feeling that you'd love ALL of his tutorials. You might even discover how you can get your Minotaur working properly in Carrara. He's a dev at Daz3d by day, but makes these tutorials on his own... really nice!

why is the gap distance to the geograft so huge??????

enlightened i havent tried exporting g2m minotaur as cr2, mebbe will work better than g3m did.  with a cr2, i even know how to make hide/unhide inj pz2 

no more than 2 hours on this, must make carrara 9 entry!

oooohhhh  there more than one minotaur slider, looks like includes scaling, but other doesnt. and looks one without the hd.