virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I'm not able to come to the forum much these days. When I saw this I fought my way in so I could share it with you! ;)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 2016

I'm not able to come to the forum much these days. When I saw this I fought my way in so I could share it with you! ;)

geralt!!!heart

surprised they didnt include a qwent deck

Post edited by Mistara on

another go at trying g3m in rara today? smiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    MistyMist said:

another go at trying g3m in rara today? smiley

I think you are wasting your time in the current version and nothing has been heard of a new version for over a year.  My bet is that we will see Genesis 4 figures before we will see G3 compatibility in Carrara, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

edited December 2016

me too lol  i have g3 content now, wanna use it.

!starting over, assuming nothing. and this a lot easier with the dson editor.  if only we had a car editor 

taking g3m himself out of the equation for now,

working with g3f jade tyger hair and g3m hunting gear jacket. 
    verified both are map mode: dualquat,binding mode: general
    both actually load into carrara -no crashing 
    tested the morphs on the jacket -morphs work
    tested the rotations:
    rotation on the limbs were set to angle
    on rotating, the wireframe bones were rotating, but -the mesh didn't follow the bones
    it was like the skeleton wasn't attached.

part2
    tested if i could detach and reattach the skeleton.
    highlighted up and down the jacket tree, but the skeleton options stayed greyed out
    took jacket to assembly room see if could do any skeleton things, it said

next logical thing, save to object tab, brought it back in
    on the animation menu, the detach skeleton wasnt greyed out,
    seems. carrara does see a skeleton attached, somehow it's not like bound properly to the mesh.

i looked at a g2m t-shirt file,
    next to the map mode, dualquat/linear, there a line for binding mode general/local.
    tested changing dualquat to linear, general to local -didnt fix anything

i assumed getting it into carrara without crashing then could convert to carrara rigging
    and i'm assuming it's not the g3m rigging causing the crashing, cause then the clothes would crash, eh?
    something else about g3m causing the crash, but what exactly crying

bonesinfluence.JPG
    243 x 117 - 14K
    dualquat dont crash but dont work.JPG
    1087 x 745 - 129K
    jade-quater.JPG
    609 x 249 - 41K
    bindingmode.JPG
    593 x 282 - 45K
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 2016

I haven't taken any look at Genesis3 apart from trying the figure out once in DAZ Studio and I haven't kept abreast of what people may have attempted with the figure in Carrara.

But, seeing MistyMist's attempts I tried exporting from DAZ Studio as FBX and as Collada.

FBX export is useless for Carrara but the unclothed figure exported as Collada comes into Carrara with bones that can be posed manually.  I didn't try shaping morphs (before export) but found that pre-set poses for the figure can't be applied in Carrara, which was no surprise.

Then I exported a clothed figure as Collada, all default settings accepted.

Both the figure and its clothes can be posed by manually shifting the bones.  The clothes don't follow the figure - each item needs to be posed one after the other.  For example, the boots are posed by moving the thigh bone skeleton of the boots and so on.

I haven't pursued this any further but my screen-shot shows that poses can be saved (the screen-shot has a clothing item selected).  I guess if they can be saved they can be re-applied.

Edited for clarity

Gen3Carrara.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 231K
    Gen3Carrara2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 257K
    Post edited by Hermit Crab on
    edited December 2016

i not seeing any tool in ds49 that says dual quat, there is general, triax, and blended.

the hunter gear jacket was general/dualquat/scalemap, i converted it to the blended option, now it says blended/dualquat/scalemap
    not bad, it kept the morphs and g3m's urban poses works on it. lil better than colladae export smiley

was excited for a few minutes, tried the same process on g3m, nup >.< it did get further though, carrara crashed at 69%

next experiment, tried something similar to wendy's experiment.

i didconvert figure to prop on g3m, to make it like a conforming suit, used the transfer utility on it, then converted to blended weightmap.
    only 1 bodymorph came over, and not all the face bones came over 
    but it did work with the urban poses.

cept the feet messed up, opened the ik menu, but no understands

seeing the blended weightmap, looks to me daz might be making some progress making compatible rigging.

also noticed selectmap for g3m differs from g2m.  g2m starts with abdomen, g3m starts with left collar, prolly makes no difference

made a g3m donor rig in ds.  it looks cute in rara, seems all the face bones are there

01 donorrig.JPG
    1153 x 545 - 72K
    blendedwm.JPG
    983 x 509 - 51K
    blendedweightmapping.JPG
    1327 x 705 - 113K
    g3mgeneralBlendedFeet.png
    1240 x 1756 - 1M
    IK.JPG
    1031 x 745 - 131K
  • Well, as said, I haven't gone into the possibilities of Genesis3 in Carrara or other programs. 

But I'll show some screenshots of the previous figure I just animated.  Screen-shots are instead of going to the trouble of YouTube!

I'm not recommending what I've done because the hierarchy tree is horrendous.

When I played with invisibility in order to see what was what, I noticed that items in the tree named ***- skin were the actual objects.  If I wanted to spend more time on this I reckon I would try to re-arrange the hierarchy to make clothing bones children of limb bones - but life is way too short.  I learned my lesson in trying to get soft body physics working fully.

anim1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 188K
    anim2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 188K
    anim3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 188K
  • It's good you got poses working.  Maybe there is just an extra bone in the feet that the pose doesn't know about?

dunno, doesnt crash, but need the character morphs.

i dont understand how the morph channels work, i don't see pointers to the morphs files

did the figure weightconvert to blended on he g3f ghostbride dress and the jade tiger hair  (hair is in 2 pieces, convert scalp and hair separately.)
    then save as support asset, figure, i used the default names, but added B to denote blended.
    seems to work okay.

now if could just get aiko7 in to wear the dress.  did the exact process on her as on the clothes, but still ctashes.
    there's little point bringing her in without facerig bones, her expresions wouldnt work

jade.JPG
    1371 x 783 - 122K
    Doc3.png
    1280 x 800 - 566K

attach skeleton, what are the rulez?

that's how you'd make conforming clothes for a native carrara figure?
    like transfer/attach skeleton

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Select a model,./ Select your bones,.  go to the Animation menu,. Select attach skeleton

You can also "Detach skeleton" by selecting the model,. then going to Animation / Detach skeleton.

Carrara automagically applies weight mapping to the mesh using each bone length as a general envelope.

Go to the animation menu and Apply IK and constraints,. or set up constraints manually for each bone,..  in the Motion Tab.

you can now rotate the bones to deform the mesh.

If you move bones and make a mess,. go to Animation / Send bones to reference position, (this is the position of the bones when you attached the skeleton)

One option at this point is to select the Model and bones and make them an "Animation Group"

which creates an NLA track for your model, ...so you can create keyframe animation, then save that as an NLA clip to your browser.

that's how you'd make conforming clothes for a native carrara figure?

In many films,. the model and clothes are modelled together,. then rigged,. since the character may remain in one outfit, for continuity, ..no need to build an extensive wardrobe, or collection of shoes,. Unless your character is a fashion model, or wears multiple disguises. :)

You could either model several items of clothing, directly onto the figure,.. or use a single clothing item, with different shaders, to create the "look" of multiple items (EG: Bodysuit / Supersuit)

Cararra can do that,. or..

You can rig your model,.  then...

Duplicate the Bones,.(when they're not attached to a model)  and attach them to a different model ,.. eg: your clothing.

Once you've got two models rigged with the same bones,. you can use the "Fit to" option ,. just as you would with a purchased Poser/Daz3D figure model and it's conforming clothing..

Try experimenting on a simple vertex model, like a cylinder (like an arm/leg/tentacle) with several sections to allow it to deform when bending.

Hope it makes some sense.

Whether you model the clothing directly onto your figure, and rig,. or create seperate rigged clothing items, is a personal choice.

ty smiley

sounds good in theory.  putting it into practice is the screen staring moments. lol

i remeber the original poser figures, before posette, not sure if was geometry swapping, but they had a clothed version, the shirt and pants were part of the figure mesh.

thinkin i havent tried nursoda characters yet.  Hein, Telka, Fon

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 2016

I believe poser 11 lets you dress a figure, then meld the clothes onto the figure, removing the hidden polys under the outfits. I assume it maintains the rigging and weight-mapping. This might be a handy option for some production workflows...

Our own Sci-Fi-Funk used fenric's unlock mesh utility to free up his characters for manual mesh removal for some of his lower-poly characters. The videos on his tricks are on sharecg, and probably on his patreon page at:

https://www.patreon.com/scififunk

Haven't seen him around lately - hope he's still working on his cool projects!

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

i was just watching his nla tutts couple weekends ago.  
    didn't look at the upload dates though. >.<

Given that Genesis 3 figures do not work in Carrara, I thought the other day about using G3F clothes on G2F (and their male equivalents). There is a clone for fitting G3F clothes to G2F, I don't think this will work in Carrara (I don't actually have it yet), but you can use this in DS to fit the clothes, save as a DS scene and load that into Carrara and that seems to work, from what I've tried without having the clone.  Once in Carrara, if you have that dynamic clothing simulation plugin, you can also use that for fitting clothing to various character shapes. I might explore this further, but thought I'd share the idea.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Here is Gen3 George posed and rendered in Carrara with G3 Santa suit wink devil yes

used GenX

George3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 242K
    PhilW said:

Given that Genesis 3 figures do not work in Carrara, I thought the other day about using G3F clothes on G2F (and their male equivalents). There is a clone for fitting G3F clothes to G2F, I don't think this will work in Carrara (I don't actually have it yet), but you can use this in DS to fit the clothes, save as a DS scene and load that into Carrara and that seems to work, from what I've tried without having the clone.  Once in Carrara, if you have that dynamic clothing simulation plugin, you can also use that for fitting clothing to various character shapes. I might explore this further, but thought I'd share the idea.

Is there one for G2F? I've only seen the one for G3F to Genesis 1

if you go clones, you'll lose the pectoral bones 

be interesting how much of a difference it would make in animation.  

and be interesting to see what pectoral bones would do for a dragon  lol

converting g3m figure to prop, baked the eyeballs into his mesh. unles is all 1 mesh to begin with

The clones are used for transferring conforming figures for the clone to the target figure. So the pectorals of the clothing would never be affected by a Genesis 1 target. But Genesis 2 does have the pec bones.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    MistyMist said:

and be interesting to see what pectoral bones would do for a dragon  lol

now that's funny!

--ms

PhilW said:

This is the product I was talking about - clone for converting clothes from G3F to G2F. There is a male version too by the same PA.

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s

The clones are used for transferring conforming figures for the clone to the target figure. So the pectorals of the clothing would never be affected by a Genesis 1 target. But Genesis 2 does have the pec bones.

he does?  omg, tee hee. 

MistyMist said:

he does?  omg, tee hee. 

Yes. I bet Dragon 3 does too! LOL

But Genesis 3 adds a lot more in the face for really getting 'real' in CG animations

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:

This is the product I was talking about - clone for converting clothes from G3F to G2F. There is a male version too by the same PA.

OMG, Thanks! I know Sickleyield's been doing these things - so I just kept looking at her store - waiting. No wonder she hasn't made it... someone else did!

These clones might just be the game changer for me. There have been a lot of really cool outfits coming out for the thrid generation of Genesis - and I am really quite happy with the shape of the Genesis 2 figures. Win Win. But since we know that Carrara will eventually get Genesis 3 support... win Win WIN!

MistyMist said:

he does?  omg, tee hee. 

Yes. I bet Dragon 3 does too! LOL

But Genesis 3 adds a lot more in the face for really getting 'real' in CG animations

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:

OMG, Thanks! I know Sickleyield's been doing these things - so I just kept looking at her store - waiting. No wonder she hasn't made it... someone else did!

These clones might just be the game changer for me. There have been a lot of really cool outfits coming out for the thrid generation of Genesis - and I am really quite happy with the shape of the Genesis 2 figures. Win Win. But since we know that Carrara will eventually get Genesis 3 support... win Win WIN!

I admire your optimism but I wouldn't say that we "know" that Carrara will eventually get Genesis 3 support.  We "know" that it was being worked on over a year ago, we also know that nothing has been released on that. So it would appear that progress has stalled for some reason. I really "hope" that it will be picked up again and that there is a release that supports Genesis 3. But I wouldn't say that I am confident in that.

edited December 2016

Right. But what I'm saying is that now I can perhaps get some of the cool clothing sets that are being released for Genesis 3 and use them on Genesis 2 - which in my opinion is one helluva figure!

Heck, I'm still quite content with generation 4 figures! Genesis 2 male just blows away Michael 4 in many aspects. V4 still holds her own, but when compared to Genesis 2 Female - not so much. Genesis 1 is cool in how it's unisex and so many cool creature/monster morphs have been made for it, along with the wonderful character sets as well.

I guess I'm just a happy fellow, is all.

I feel for these poor folks like Misty, trying so hard to get Genesis 3 to work in Carrara. One of the biggest selling points for Carrara to me was that it's a modeler that didn't make me fight in order to use these figures (then focussing on M3 and V3) - I'll be damned if I'm going to start fighting now! LOL

Yet I commend the wonderful attempts being made. If I were to start trying, Wendy's options would certainly be my first shot. She's always been the Queen of cross compatibility. 

Yeah, I'm still having too much fun with my M4/V4 (and all of the figures they turn into) collections. I keep thinking that I'll take another shot at building my heroes in G2M and F, but I look at my lowly collections for those figures and change my mind. I do have a lot for them, just not enough to truly make me happy for my main characters. And I'll be damned if I'm going to make background folks outshine my heroes! Villains, perhaps. Villains are supposed to look cool, after all!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I agree that Genesis 2 figures bend really nicely and don't have that awkward shoulder issue that V4 and M4 have - but then I srill use those a lot too, like many people, I have huge libraries of characters and clothes for those figures.  Don't forget of course that you can use Autofit to fit V4 clothing to Genesis 2 Female for example.