virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistyMist said:
    PhilW said:

Geograft is another of those things that doesn't work in Carrara. Can't say I have ever really missed it personally.

the female pro geograft doesn't have a sngle morph to it.  was kinda hopin the g3f one would have fancy rigging, but, nope

why do you want visemes so one can use mimic on it?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 2016
    MistyMist said:
    PhilW said:

Geograft is another of those things that doesn't work in Carrara. Can't say I have ever really missed it personally.

the female pro geograft doesn't have a sngle morph to it.  was kinda hopin the g3f one would have fancy rigging, but, nope

why do you want visemes so one can use mimic on it?

That would be quite original - probably in poor taste, but original!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Wow! Thanks UnifiedBrain! :)  That shirt was a lot of work! :)

MistyMist said:
    PhilW said:

Daz3d doesn't want to get into that side of it. There's a place called renderotica that does, and makes that stuff for V4 and many other figures, I'm sure.

...and then he turns the page! I almost fell out of my chair laughing! LOL

Now that could bring "talking out your...." to a whole new level! LOL

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

wink

lunch time 

cant remember nows what i was gonna do ... oh yeah, trying changing the id instead of name in the g3m dsf file. crash test dummies  lol

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    MistyMist said:

lunch time 

cant remember nows what i was gonna do ... oh yeah, trying changing the id instead of name in the g3m dsf file. crash test dummies  lol

Same for me :-(
    I can't find where I saw the tip about G3/Carrara ... and it's to hard to find something in the Daz forum.

did learn something new among last nights fails.  
    before saving the converted to blended  g3 clothes,
    unhide alllll the morphs first, to be able to see them in carrara 
    alternatively, open each morph file in text editor, change Visible value false to true

edited January 2017

johnny from witcher3

dunno why, i luv his fantasy look  lol
    he's a godling

ciri
    and sleepy geralt

Post edited by Mistara on

yooknowhatho

is not really fair to compare iray, unless using the best settings for hours-n-hours long carrara lighting/render settings

asteroidlady was saying, g3 has geografts covering it's seams.

wouldn't it be a kicker if it was the geografts crashing carrara after all?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I don't think that is the case.

dunno how to test.  exporting to obj seems to merge geografts.

reading up on UDIMS.  

but feeling a lil braindead, dohh.  was feeling poorly yesterday.

edited January 2017

a link kindly shared by ironsoul.

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mxdocsv3/Texture+Mapping:+UV+and+UDIM

says something about tiling, too.

maxwell?

says it's a standalone render engine. another nvidia engine. how many of those are there?  lol

MistyMist said:

asteroidlady was saying, g3 has geografts covering it's seams.

wouldn't it be a kicker if it was the geografts crashing carrara after all?

No. What makes Genesis 3 incompatible with Carrara is a very known issue. It (G3) doesn't work in Poser either. Here's the thing:

Daz3d, from the very beginning, has always pushed the boundaries of excellence in creating the most realistically modeled - as well as reallistically rigged human figure for this realm of Pose Artists content.

In this everpushing forward, they've utilized the very latest technologies coming down the pipeline from professional visual effects studios to come up with something very magical - Daz Studio 4.0/Genesis uni-mesh platform. This, of course requires special considerations within the software to make it work.

They've (Daz3d) contacted Smith Micro, right from the start, to help them bring these special features into Poser as well - SM agreed, but then backed out. Daz3d then took it upon themselves, due to customer demand, to develop the whole DSON for Poser system.

This is all really substantial stuff, and Daz3d deserves a LOT of respect for their persistance in keeping with all of the latest and greatest technology available.

DSF files were absolutely not playing nicely with Carrara. So, during the development of Carrara 8.5, the DUF format was designed which actually made the whole system a lot more compatibe across the board.

It was amazing that we could model things for this basic little male human figure, and the auto-fit/auto-follow technology would allow this content to fit and follow an amazing range of shapes before actually breaking down and poking through. So there are also tools in place which allow us to add more automated shape changes to anything by reading a specific morph dial being activated - and can also be configured to work at different levels of the morph dial. For example, we could have a shape-change automation that changes the shape if Behemoth is cranked up. Oh, but it's not quite right if we only use 33% of Behemoth - so we can make another automation file for the Behemoth dial at 33

And these tools are made to be incredibly easy to use and enormously sophisticated and powerful. The geekier we get with the tools, the better results we can garner.

Still, it was becoming apparent that clothing creators, especially for female shapes, could benefit immensely if, instead of having one Unimesh figure, we had a Base female and Base male figures separately - and so Genesis 2 was born.

Of course, Genesis 2 was not just a release of the separation of Male and Female, but yet another HUGE advancement in pushing for a better human figure - both in mesh and rigging, skinning, and everything that goes along with that, like joint relationships and such. The difference is uncanny.

Genesis 3 figures are a whole new setup using whole new technology which is the current top-end trend in Hollywood CG characters.

In order to actually take advantage of these treats, we need the technology. The mesh is just a bunch of shape data without the technology to drive it.

The latest word on the Carrara development was that they have the Quaternion Skinning working in Carrara-under-development, but not yet there for everything that Genesis 3 needs to survive - and that report is from over a year ago.

I (as always - and often feel alone in this) am ever so optimistic that the day will come, when we get a new release of Carrara with Genesis 3 support. Who knows... perhaps they (Daz3d) are on the cusp of another technological advancement for the future, and are endeavoring to include that into Carrara at the same time?

But until we get this technology, the best that we can expect to do with Genesis 3 in Carrara are as such:

Import obj from DS - set up the way we want it - and render

Get the Genesis 3 to Genesis 2 clones to use Genesis 3 clothing on our Genesis 2 figures

Pretty much any other situation is not actually using Genesis 3 at all.

Wendy has some cool ideas on how to use Genesis 3 as a skin (or as clothing) onto a supported figure. Misty has been doing some interesting tests as well, but do understand that none of these options ca come close to taking advantage of what Genesis 3 actually is.

The best (and currently Only) way to take advantage of Genesis 3 is to use Daz Studio.

So we can use Carrara to create our massive scenes with beautiful atmospheres and clouds, etc., - even interior scenes - and render them out to be used as an environment in Daz Studio, where we can take full advantage of Genesis 3 figures.

Alternatively, we also still have the immensely awesome Genesis 2 figures and their ever-growing selection of support products. Genesis 2 is still an amazing pair of figures!

I'm really sorry, Misty.

edited January 2017

thanks smiley
    beer dulls the pain a lil bit  lol
    guiness draft

futzing with the legacyuvs

playin with particles never boring heart

edited January 2017

omg, i think it worked.

tried so many things. too tired to test any more tnite.

in the minotaurlegs.dsf file, there's a section under geometry called graft.
    i deleted the graft section. miotaur legs seems to be regular conforming  now.
    dont want to claim it fixes the geograft uvs problem til we can duplicate it a few times

so emotional right now, want a lil bit of win

the polys on g2m's leg where it overlaps with the minotaur legs, iirc, can hide those in the wrench room?

deleted graft section from dsf.JPG
    796 x 168 - 34K
    geograft uv2.png
    1280 x 1282 - 307K
    geograft uvs3.png
    1280 x 1282 - 360K
    geograft uvs.png
    1280 x 1282 - 305K
    minotaur leg uvs.JPG
    1109 x 660 - 80K

well smiley repeated the process on reptilian tail (g2m), reptilian legs, and succubus wings (g2f)

deleting the graft section from the dsf turns the geograft into a normal conforming figure and fixes the uvs problem.

will have to hide those overlapping polys in g2m's thighs. >.<

real test will be animating it

before: n after:

the ds batch utility can uncompress the dsf, should be able to delete the graft section in notepad

reptilian6legs.png
    1280 x 800 - 503K
    wings and legs.png
    1280 x 1423 - 686K
    testing geograft uvs gargoyle (succubus add on).JPG
    735 x 700 - 66K
    aww need reptilian mat for wings.png
    1280 x 1423 - 693K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Congratulations, Misty!  Very perseverent of you.  Good progress.  This should really help your minotaur project.  yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Other than the minotaur, I had avoided acquiring any gografted content such as the gargoyle.  Might reconsider as I watch your pogress. 

diomede said:

Congratulations, Misty!  Very perseverent of you.  Good progress.  This should really help your minotaur project.  yes

ty smiley

i'm feeling re-energized for my movie project.

i want to make minotaur a Han Solo type blaster holster, down around where the g2m thigh meets the legs. lol  has a lot of the nightshift weapons. don't think there were holsters with them.

can't remember chewy's weapon 

MistyMist said:

the polys on g2m's leg where it overlaps with the minotaur legs, iirc, can hide those in the wrench room?

Not with Genesis, unfortunately. Have to hide using shader room or unticking visible in the figure hierarchy. Bummer. Another thing I like better about Generation 4.

Chewie?

He uses a BowCaster - like an energy crossbow thingie. 

Watch Star Wars Episode VII - A Force Awakens for more information about the BowCaster and how Han Solo feels about it! ;)

Well... they don't tell you anything about it except that Han really likes it! Ooops... Spoiler Alert?

Bowcaster

A traditional Wookiee weapon, bowcasters are hand-crafted on Kashyyyk according to ancient methods. Bowcasters are more powerful and accurate than blasters, firing a metal quarrel encased in plasma energy.Star Wars Databank

Affiliations: Rebel AllianceGalactic Republic

Appearances: Star WarsMore

Wielded by: Wookiee

Model: Wookiee bowcaster

Locations: Kashyyyk

edited January 2017

Very, Very cool discovery about the geo thing! So cool!

So you're opening the dsf in notepad and removing the whole Graft portion... very cool!

I'm buying you the first beer if we ever meet up. Just sayin! 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

thanks smiley  sippssing my last guiness draft til after the snow.  got the capt, luksusowa

i'se actually using the dson editor from store to del the whole branch, but checked the notepad way, is doable if curly braces dont give ya the heebies lol 

decided a girl reptilian would wave tail differently from a male

ssippssing tea smiley ahhhh

g3m has 173 bones, like half of em in his head.  thaz a lot of 'children'

was just thinkin tee hee, moving the tail to beat of ac.dc song.  who made who

actually could do that for lotsa stuff.

wookie weapons  tee hee, just realized how funny that sounds, lollll

MistyMist said:

thanks smiley  sippssing my last guiness draft til after the snow.  got the capt, luksusowa

i'se actually using the dson editor from store to del the whole branch, but checked the notepad way, is doable if curly braces dont give ya the heebies lol 

decided a girl reptilian would wave tail differently from a male

DSON Editor... Ahhhh... I thought it looked like an editor-like interface shot - what, with the lines and all! I'll have to get that thing.

I have some stuff from RawArt for Genesis that could really benefit from that workaround.

I have that Demon he made for Genesis 1, and I'm thinking of trying to make a morph of just the demon's teeth, so that I can dial them back - or even off. They're too... hmmm... conical and perfect or something? I was hoping that they had a separate morph dial, but they don't.

I'm fairly certain that I can achieve this - it's just a matter of getting to it.

Wookie Weapons! :)

couldnt do all this testing without the editor

i open the duf and the dsf, delete something, save but dont close it
    load it into carrara, crash or whatever,
    back in dson, do a cntrl+z to bring back the thing i deleted,
    etcetera (yul brenner voice)

wookie weapon loll, overtired mebbe, extremely funny

So cool. Never tried it.

Wookie Weopon back! LOL

You're it!

lol  nothing like Wookie Weapon to destress all the job tension smiley thanks.
    .< excel 2010 formula works fine on my desktop but stops working on my manager's laptop.

did you mean the ra-el demon gn1?

now that i know i can fix em, tempted to pick up a couple demons while the raw sale is running.