virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

This might be a good reference.  Should be possible.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

guessing lens needs thickness? ixnay plane 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Lens will need at least 2 sides so that it is a solid.  Could start with a cylinder and use a bulge modifier.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

...or start with a sphere and scale it down on one axis only.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

I started with a sphere for the magnifying glass in the image below then scaled it down as @PhilW suggests above.

You can get a stronger or weaker effect by adjusting the thickness, the amount of curve in the shape and the IOR of the refraction.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2016

Here's a quick test.  I flattened a vertex sphere, added one level of smoothing and applied the Clear Glass shader preset.

First image has no lens, the second has the lens to so you see how much it magnified:

No lenswith lens

A thicker lens or higher IOR would increase the effect.

Also, now I want to make a full monocle and add a tophat to this dino that I just randomly found in my library while looking for something else. laugh

BasicLensNOLENS.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
    BasicLensIORCommonGlass.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Yes, I've been noticing a lot of camera shots in movies lately which really show off the refraction of the actor's cornea bulge in their eyes - with a powerful Rim light coming in from behind, illuminating the effect within the clear bulge itself.

That and reading up about (and seeing in action) inverse iris gleam is what got me on my path to making or otherwise having eye models with convex irises and bulging cornea.

Seeing Iris gleam in action just really makes it for me. Seeing it in animated work really told me that the render manager in charge sure has a good quality assurance. It really makes a difference.

I was noticing the effect before I knew exactly what to do about it - yet the effect was pretty clear. So I started playing with the shaders for the eyes of my main characters.

It was Jeremy Birn's Digital Lighting and Rendering book which gave me clear instructions of what's going on and how to simulate it - which is really easy. Just need convex iris with a refracting, bulging cornea! :)

Example of Iris Gleam

Notice how the light highlights the one side of the figure, and the irises highlights are opposite?

That's it.

While it may be a naturally occurring phenomenon, it also helps to make things look more real - albeit not in this particular image, which is exaggerated to illustrate the effect.

This was my (very quick) attempt at testing the idea with V4's eye meshes. I edited the shapes of the Irises at the same time to be consistant. It didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it to, so was saved separately as a mere test.

I was just about to take a more serious approach at reshaping them when RDNA came aboard. I could help but browse through the first load of content to come over - and there were Arki's wonderful eye models for Generation 4!!! 

They actually work for anything, including animals ;)

More subtle (less exagggerated) look at the effect with the new eyes, this is a near-complete version of Rosie's new eyes. 

Now I don't have to do anything special to highlight the eyes anymore (used to drive me mad trying to get it just right) as the eyes and their shaders just do the work automatically for me now. 

Sweet!

But now add glasses with realistically-shaped lenses and you'll see the whole effect multiplied quite naturally.

Those with less problems with their vision will require less thickness and/or curve to their lenses - causing in less effect of refraction/magnification.

Heavy gleasses, combined with the refracting, iris-gleaming eye models, will likely have very realistic effects - where the irises themselves becoming overly pronounced in certain situations - an effect that can be easily exaggerated by changing the lenses of the eyewear! ;)

edited October 2016

cute Rosie smiley she looks scared?

cute dinos. monocle be cute smiley  

loud thunders.  
    powering down rig for the night.  
    i really need new ups.  lights flickering

tomorrow want to try breath fog on a window.  

rain coming down hard. gutters splashing, cant keep up.

thunder sounds close.

ended up buying that witcher gear outfit >.<  

Post edited by Mistara on
    MistyMist said:

cute Rosie smiley she looks scared?

Thanks! She's likely just being cautious!

Say... I've just downloaded and installed Witcher Enhanced Edition again and installed it (I keep all of the art books and stuff, even when not playing) and notice that it's been updated at GOG  - not sure if this part is new but it offers a "Mouse Mode" where we don't need to use WASD - works great - just tried it! ;)

Forgot how cool this game is... very time-consuming though. Man the conceptual art book is truly outstanding. Love this stuff!

edited November 2016

tee hee  made a giant playlist of the sony sound effects. 2k+ wav files

listening if any of these inspire a scene

deciding a sound for spell casting
    telepathic comm noises
    hovering
    dragon wing wooshes.
    minotaur noise, prolly shoud be bullish?  lol

yep, nuthin like sippssing eggnog  (no egg in it, but haz whisky)
    listening to sound effects

MistyMist said:

tee hee  made a giant playlist of the sony sound effects. 2k+ wav files

listening if any of these inspire a scene

deciding a sound for spell casting
    telepathic comm noises
    hovering
    dragon wing wooshes.
    minotaur noise, prolly shoud be bullish?  lol

yep, nuthin like sippssing eggnog  (no egg in it, but haz whisky)
    listening to sound effects

LOL!!!

What fun!!! I have mine in my Music folder as well - but I haven't gone that far yet! Yet!

One thing that I think is a lot of fun is to layer them over each other to get certain effects.Sometimes the same one, other times different sounds all together. Like for the Witch in Spooky Night, I used a maniacal laughter sound and duplicated it in another track, shifted slightly off from the original, then pitched one higher and the other lower than the original pitch. It might have turned out better if I spent more time with it, but that does help to demonstrate the technique.

Other times I'll use certain sound effects placed just right simply to enhance the music track.

I really like these multi-track software studios. Each of them have their own bins of effects and tweaks. I've really been enjoying MusicMaker, which I used to create the music track for Spooky Night, and then I used HitFilm for part of it - I'm still really new with this one - and then finished it off in Vegas, since I know it better.

I also have Sound Forge, which I've never actually used yet. I got it with Vegas Studio Platinum. I'd like to try it for blending some of my sound effects together and save them as new sounds to select from.

Ooops... too many virtual pennies? Sorry! ;)

edited November 2016

kitbashing sounds?   kewl idea.  

wasnt hearing what i want for dragon noise, kitbash is the answer

maniacle expression one of the more difficult ones >.<

i've used soundforge to add 'canyon' reverb/echo on my voice.  was as far as i got with it. 
    am really missing the sonycreative site and forum. 

thinkin i'se set for sound effects for a while.

thinkin should look for a nice midi bundle
    the midi file is the thing can set instrument files to in daw app?

i watched the sony tutts back when i was rendering secret lake, is kinda vague nows

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

@MistyMist: "this looks cute"

I got that book a few weeks back, and although it's very much a traditional animation guide (almost all hand-drawn), if you keyframe anything in any of these apps, you'll find it has very lucid and universal advice on how animators have learned to make 'the magic', and what has to be done, and what you can 'cheat', etc. It's a very personable read as well, as it's rich with the stories and names behind most of the animation we've all grown up with. Recommended!

--ms

mindsong said:

I got that book a few weeks back, and although it's very much a traditional animation guide (almost all hand-drawn), if you keyframe anything in any of these apps, you'll find it has very lucid and universal advice on how animators have learned to make 'the magic', and what has to be done, and what you can 'cheat', etc. It's a very personable read as well, as it's rich with the stories and names behind most of the animation we've all grown up with. Recommended!

--ms

yessmiley

edited November 2016

tried removing the smoothers on g3m.  crash

oddly, the app crash reports cr2importer.mcx as the culprit.
    why duf needs cr2?

tried the weightmap conversions, triax, blended.  crash crash

next test, remove all the jcm morphs from g3m and save g3m as subset.
    if i can learn how to remove the jcm morphs in ds.  

MistyMist said:
    mindsong said:

--ms

yessmiley

+1 yessmiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    mindsong said:

--ms

Been away for a few days and trying to have a catch up - but I have this book and it is definitely recommended if you want to animate "well"!

• I got Geralt into Carrara heart

he is a G2M fullbody wardrobe support asset can be George too if you prefer cheeky

ToeJam said:

I got Geralt into Carrara heart

he is a G2M fullbody wardrobe support asset can be George too if you prefer cheeky

surprisesurprisesurprisesurprisesurprisesurprise

time for a lindt balls break heartkiss

so many questions, too few lindt balls

MistyMist said:

Did you bring enough to share? angel

MistyMist said:

yep

tee hee 

until java dragon finds em, she haz sweet tooths

dohhh ixnay haze, ixnay ixnay

sure i like haze, but not all the time!!!

MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:

yep

tee hee 

until java dragon finds em, she haz sweet tooths

Yummy, thanks! :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited November 2016