virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

what the terminology for carrara weightmapping?

the subdivision is the catmark?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

The image below is a WIP and probably doesn't look that remarkable - but it hides a secret! It is G2F wearing a G3F outfit - not only that but it is the Lulu Outfit for Genesis 3 Females which is only available as Encrypted DAZ Content, and therefore should only work in Daz Studio.  Firstly I should say that I have now got the G3F for G2F clone package that I mentioned a few posts ago and for the most part it works well within Daz Studio to fit clothing intended for G3F to G2F.  You can then save the DS scene and load it into Carrara directly and you should have your clothed figure there ready to go.  There is sometimes a little poke through in Carrara where there wasn't any in DS. Sometimes this is just the effects of the subdivision surfaces and as such, does not show when rendered. Other more serious poke through can be fixed either by editing the mesh with Carrara's tools, or using the Poke-Away2 product.

To get the Lulu outfit across was more involved as by default it does not load into Carrara. What I did was for each item of clothing in the set, Export it from DS as an OBJ file, using the Carrara scaling option.  Remember to adjust the Mesh Resolution in DS to Base and set the subdivision to 0, or the meshes are massive!

In Carrara, load the default G2F and apply the Genesis 3 Female shape that is included with the G3F to G2F pack referred to above. Now load each OBJ that you saved, turning off AutoPosition and turning On Disable Auto-Scaling. This means that each will load into the same position and scale as it was saved - and lo and behold, that will exactly match your G2F figure (with G3F shape applied). But of course these are just static objects, and so will not follow any movements or morphs that you apply to your figure.

So what I did was for each item, I used that dynamic clothing plugin. So I could set the pose and character that I wanted (in this case Natasha by Digital Touch) at 1 second, also remembering to remove the G3F morph.  The dynamic clothing plugin allows you to attach parts of the clothing mesh to the figure to prevent slippage, so the waist band on the jeans, the shoulders on the tank top and the back of the neck on the cardigan. I ran the simulation to 2 seconds so the changes were made between 0 and 1 sec and any settling allowed in 1 to 2 secs (which also allows a choice of which frame to render).

Incidentally the textures for this set are not stored in the usual place and it took me a while to find them - they are at Documents/Daz3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_22708.

At last I will be able to use some G3F clothing in my images! Note that the dynamic clothing plugin is not required for the majority of outfits, which will come across just fine as conforming outfits as per my first paragraph. (But having said that, it is hugely useful...!).

LuluOutfit1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 40K

where theres a will theres a way smiley

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

good one Phil! tenacity at work! sexy WIP going there too.

--ms

i lost a cripeman tuttorial, the one with using 4 lil planes for the partcle emitter

is it possible to make a new primitive?  those purely math driven?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2016

There are formula objects.

EDIT : Select your formula object and then use the top menu EDIT : Convert to Other Modeler

primitive conversion.JPG
    1728 x 874 - 170K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Very cool!

I've bought this Genesis 2 Cross-Figure Resource Kit so that I can convert Genesis clothing to Genesis 2 Female clothing.

Converting meshes from one male to another can be really easy in Carrara, then exporting the OBJ to bring into Daz Studio and using those fun Content Creation Tools to make it work with the intended figure.

Where I was having difficulty, however, was trying to get Genesis (Victoria 5) clothing to work with Genesis 2 Female - since Genesis started by making everything fit a male figure while also having breaks in the cage for other shapes afterwards - but they all begin as a basic male.

With this thing, I can add a Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 2 Female morph dial right onto the figure!

I could also see a lot of other potential with the tool, but the biggest reason I bought this was to get HongYu's "Shirt for Victoria 5" to work on my Genesis 2 Female figure - and it worked very well!

Once I had the morph to convert it from Genesis 2 Male to Female, I took it a step further by exporting that result as a separate OBJ and redid the whole thing in Daz Studio for Genesis 2 Female base - which works better for me in the end.

Here, Josh explains how it works

Here's the result of the Genesis (V5) shirt on my Genesis 2 Female character

Hey Phil,

You know how you've shown us how to make clothing for V4 using the Transform Utlity in your Advanced Carrara Techniques...

I've still never done that.

I must do it.

Bringing up the above project of converting that shirt for use with G2F reminds me of how incredibly easy it really is to make clothing for our people - difficulty rising only with difficult situations, simplicity revealing how simple it all can be.

Anyways, I already know how I could easily go about converting M4 or V4 clothing to actually become Genesis 2 clothing, I'd also like to try going the other way as well - just a matter of getting the mesh named correctly, I'm imagining.

I really shouldn't go backwards though. I really should step into Genesis 2 again.

For today's Christmas Bonus give-away, I got the Grecian Godess for Genesis 2 Female to try and make a costume sort of like Morrigan wears in Dragon Age Origins.

There's another outfit that I found (Eve's Clothes) for V4 that looks just like Morrigan's Top - so I wishlisted that too.

Now I just need to get the necklaces sorted out.

Eve Clothes for V4 looks a lot more like Morrigan's, but I also like the Grecian Godess one!

Eve Clothes for V4

Grecian Godess Outfit

edited December 2016

Great examples, Dart - and Josh does good youtube tutorials.  I also recommend tutorials by SickleYield.  I think that many Carrara users will have very little difficulty converting meshes for use with the transfer utility, the real hassle is adjusting bones, weightmaps, and JCMs from the default, especially if the differences in figure proportions are significant.  I also recommend some tutorials by SickleYield.  These are amazing.  SY is the PA who offers the ghost rigging to fix tunics, the breast area, etc.  SY has many tutorials, some on her DA site.  Here is SY's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SickleYield/videos

Post edited by Diomede on

You can find SY's recommended work flow here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/938931/#Comment_938931

Note - SY also recommends Josh's videos.  Yay, Josh.  Yay, Dart.

Gotta say - Rosie looks good in that shirt!

edited December 2016

error messages, she's trying to talk to me
    she's not crashing.  but, she not bending either yet, but feel like made it passed the first hurdle., 

i'm eyeballing the node list, line by line, comparing g3f dsf, duf, the hunter gear jacket for g3m cuz it seems to be working, and g2f.

the jacket has nodes for lThighBend and lThighTwist.
    looking at genesis3female's dsf, she has lThigh and lThighTwist
    genesis 3 female.duf has a url line calling for a #thighbend.

in the screen shot, bottom is the g3f.dsf file, on right is the genesis 3 female duf, left is a copy of g3f.duf i'm editing.
    i'm looking thru the dsf node section for where the 'id' doesnt match the 'name'
    in the .duf file, i changed the url to match up with the 'name', instead of the 'id'.
    ex: original duf file, url is pointing to #lThigh, now points to #lThighBend.

i prolly have it all backwards, but she loaded into carrara with an import error message. 
    the wrist nodes are confusing, inside the node it says forearmtwist 

those dhm hd morphs dont caue crashing, the mouth hd slider doesnt have any response, but it shows in the list

wish i could keep at it, but getting up for work in a few hours

or mebbe woulda been better to change the id in the dsf file instead...crying

capture=nodenames.JPG
    1552 x 793 - 194K
    g3f.JPG
    1304 x 758 - 87K
    g3f-not crash.JPG
    1306 x 736 - 106K
    Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 2016

Wow! So that's G3F in Carrara, eh?

Here's a quick test render of the beginnings of a version of Rosie wearing Morrigan-style mage wear

Oh... and this is the V4 version. I picked up the Eve Clothing for V4 in today's give-away ;)

RT Morrigan.jpg
    461 x 713 - 290K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

thought i had the convert to blended weightmap down, not working on g3f  crying  sob

dont want her without a weightmapping, cuz then there no point.

sighhhhh

To get the Director's camera back to a decent view:

While in the Director's Camera, click the camera selector and use Set Position To: and select your Camera 1 

To get the Director's camera back to a decent view:

While in the Director's Camera, click the camera selector and use Set Position To: and select your Camera 1 

Nice tip!

wondering if she's only not crashing because i broke the rig.

the jacket has separate 'dual' nodes for bend and twist, but it doesn't crash

the attach skeleton doesn't highlight,
    doesn't seem to be a way to transfer the jacket skeleton to g3f.
    or attaching the collada skeleton  

can't tell if the converted blend weights are looking good.
    would have to look at side by side comparison of the same pose as the wm default and the converted wm blend

meanwhile, christmas time means it is time for a sylfie render heartsmiley

edited December 2016
    MistyMist said:

wondering if she's only not crashing because i broke the rig.

the jacket has separate 'dual' nodes for bend and twist, but it doesn't crash

the attach skeleton doesn't highlight,
    doesn't seem to be a way to transfer the jacket skeleton to g3f.
    or attaching the collada skeleton  

can't tell if the converted blend weights are looking good.
    would have to look at side by side comparison of the same pose as the wm default and the converted wm blend

meanwhile, christmas time means it is time for a sylfie render heartsmiley

I admire your tenacity in trying to make Genesis 3 work in Carrara, but given that many have tried and failed over the last 18 months, and that if there was a "quick fix" without new coding that Daz would know about it, then I fear that you are wasting your time.  I would advise moving on to something more productive - it feels better than banging your head against a brick wall!

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 2016

but i want them in my feature length movie.  lol

in my mind, the question is how much of a broken g3 is acceptable without losing the benefits of it's unique rig structure.

also i'm working a dragon.  
    deconstructing g3f will help me figure out the best rigging & wm system to use.

dragon needs pectoral bones.

and using face bones for expressions sounds "in theory" plausible,
    but if it needs a slew of jcm's to make it look good, might as well just use morphs then.

Post edited by Mistara on

The problem is that that's a huge part of the magic of Genesis 3 - its rigging and skinning - the parts which are not (yet) working in Carrara.

carrara had weight mapping before poser and ds?

MistyMist said:

carrara had weight mapping before poser and ds?

Yes, but it doesn't like Poser's weight mapping I've heard. Carrara's weight mapping is cool! It's initial 'guess' is often pretty darned good too. But it's nice that we can tweak or completely alter it however we want.

carrara weightmapping at the top of my must learn next list  lolcool

even for something like squeezing an orange, mebbe would benefit 

give more control of bulging

thinkin if the dson editor can help figure out whaz goin on with the geograft ewe vees

Geograft is another of those things that doesn't work in Carrara. Can't say I have ever really missed it personally.

• Here's the result of the Genesis (V5) shirt on my Genesis 2 Female character

I'm surprised that you haven't received more comments on this render.  Really well done!  It's the new #1 Rosie pic for me.

baby groot heart

PhilW said:

Geograft is another of those things that doesn't work in Carrara. Can't say I have ever really missed it personally.

the female pro geograft doesn't have a sngle morph to it.  was kinda hopin the g3f one would have fancy rigging, but, nope