PhilW said:

Is the Carousel not this one?

http://www.daz3d.com/carnival-carousel

yup.  

the up and down horsies need some fixing

yes neither Poser or D|S versions work in Carrara alone

as I said saved from D|S it works

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

is funny, i'm starting to prefer using the iray shader presets, (before converting for rara)

it's the naming, like,
    instead of seeing a long list named aoa surface shaders

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

We were just talking about moving the camera. Here's a cool blurb from our friends at Film Riot

Thanks!

was just looking for tips on camera fades and cutting.

well done, means not noticing the camera work.

trying the tweeners on wing flapping. got the default in there, couple of beziers and an oscillate tween, oscillate seemed a no brainer for wing flapping.  i rendered out an animated gif overnight, set it to 800px should be done , can't wait to get home and see it.

loaded up the big bill and trailer, DS version, had to tweak the min z rot on the doors.  trailer conforms to bill. 

playing with procedurals for the "deck" of the "carrier" just an infinite plane at this point. infinity and beyond

does the sunlight attenuate?

i keep using the sunglight even though i cant figure out how to set the shadow strength. 

haven't decided on my birthday cake yet. thinking red velvet heart

We were just talking about moving the camera. Here's a cool blurb from our friends at Film Riot

simultaneous zoom and dolly?  surprise

the gif came out to 16mb, figure is too much for a forum post

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2017
    MistyRara said:

Quick! Zolly the camera!surprise

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

lol,  we should put zolly in our carrara lexicon

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

But if you go the other way, you Doom the camera . . .

"We're all doomed I tell ye, dooomed!"

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    MistyRara said:

Ha - I am aware of that effect - and even used it in my Trick or Treat animation! Look at the "Grim Reaper" girl's reaction when the stuff at the door happens!

edited February 2017

what should go in a demo reel?  beside rara's particle physics 

thinkin to go with the 1280x720-60fps  higher than that utoob stutters for me

my next monitor will  prolly be the lg extra wide one, 21:9  

Post edited by Mistara on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

A demo reel for you? In general it should be your best work, if you are going to be using as an advert to get paid work, think about what sort of work you would like to do and tailor it to that. If you do an internet search, I think you'll find lots of advice about what to include, length, background music, etc.

i'd like to make one to baseline my skills at the moment.   smiley

lived by the golen rule of composition, be interesting to see what studying camera zolly work will lead 

edited February 2017

It's a commonly used technique, the Dolly Zoom

One of the big things I'd like for us to take away from that first video I posted, is that dollys should be done smoothly, the way he's demonstrating. He's (Film Riot) really good with this stuff (filmmaker knowledge/advice) and I like to soak in some lessons now and again.

I used to go nuts with my cameras and never liked the results of those test renders. So I started mellowing down the movements and liked them more and more - this was long before my studying these filmmaker techniques.

Nowadays I'm also even studying what filmmaking camera operators think about when considering whether to use Special Effects (practical effects caught on camera) or Visual Effects (Digital Effects and/or enhancements done in post on the computer) and then how to pull off the shot accordingly. These folks have to know all of this stuff in respect to the budgets they're expected to meet/beat and also to make sure that the goals of the project can be completed.

What does all of this stuff have to do with being a CG animator? 

A lot. Maybe not in such a direct sense. But if I want to make my own videos - all in CG, I'm finding that I have to take on the roles of the practical camera operator and director rather than eliminate the roles altogether. The limitations of what we can do with an actual camera on set are actually a benefit to the overall show. In CG, where we are absent of all of these limitations, can very easily do things that are not at all appealing to the audience - so it helps to understand both worlds, and more.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

wanna play with rara.  i'm sitting under a pyle of sds sheets at work.  can't see the sky, can't see my desk, 

i'm not free they took the sky from mee eee

MistyRara said:

wanna play with rara.  i'm sitting under a pyle of sds sheets at work.  can't see the sky, can't see my desk, 

i'm not free they took the sky from mee eee

I'm so sorry. I'd love to help if I could.

Say, not sure if you like my sharing this sort of thing... if you like I can easily (I think?) stop.

Here's a cool article that was just sent to me via e-mail. Seems appropriate for recent discussion:

‘John Wick 2’ Cinematographer: Here’s How to Shoot a Great Fight Scene

By Alexander Huls

When John Wick was released in 2014, it was something of a surprise. The action film about an uber-assassin (Keanu Reeves) emerging from retirement to avenge the death of his dog turned out to not just be good — it was arguably one of the best action movies of the 21st century. A big reason for that wasn’t just the exquisite fight-scene choreography — a hybrid of martial arts and gun fighting, known as “Gun-Fu” — but how the fights were shot by cinematographer Jonathan Sela (with the guidance of director and former stuntman Chad Stahelski.)

John Wick: Chapter 2 (in theaters today) — with cinematographer Dan Laustsen (Crimson PeakSilent Hill) stepping in behind the camera — is both a worthy successor and another masterclass in fight-scene cinematography for any aspiring (action) filmmakers. With that spirit in mind, we spoke with Laustsen about what techniques can help create a memorable action sequence.

JW2 doesn't open here till tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

JW2 doesn't open here till tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I still haven't seen the first one. I'm told I'm really missing a good show! Gun-Fu, eh?

Yup. First one was fun.

I'm really lucky here in having an "unlimited card", which for about £18 a month (~ $26) lets me into the cinema to see any film that's playing, any time I want. Saves me a fortune in heating in the winter and aircon in the summer! wink and it pays for itself in all those DVDs I don't "need" to buy any more! (and the cinema is only a 20 minute walk from my house, so real easy to get to)

Of course there are still films I want to see that don't get to play locally, and films I don't want to see that do . . 

"Deja Fu - the feeling that you've been hit before." - Terry Pratchett.

What a cool subscription! Cinema viewing is always the best! 

Yeah, I want a 50ft screen in my living room!

and several thousand Watts of sound!

...and a popcorn machine and soda fountains, with a glass case full of sno caps and M&Ms and Goobers and...

I don't know what some of those things are . . . (and I think our M&Ms are different to your M&Ms)

I don't know what some of those things are . . . (and I think our M&Ms are different to your M&Ms)

See? You need them!

gun fu 

That's what they call it in the article! Gun-Fu! ;)

is gonna be interesting to see how rara interprets zolly doom. smiley

need clutter in the scene for perspective purposes

MistyRara said:

is gonna be interesting to see how rara interprets zolly doom. smiley

need clutter in the scene for perspective purposes

I've done it to great effect before I ever saw how we're supposed to do it as explained in the last video I added (above).

The way I did it was to zoom (actually I dollied) the camera and rendered what was to become the backdrop avi, then loaded that in as my backdrop and di an entirely different zoom in that render of the main character. For one, since I was using Object Accuracy of 2 both times, it resulted in the backdrop being slightly less clear than it would have been at 1 or 0.5, which really helped the effect! ;)

The main character came through nice and clear, and at an entirely different (much slower) zoom with the backdrop changing drastically with it's own DoF

Oh... but I was also going to mention that the video up there has instruction that will work in Carrara. Dolly by moving the camera and zoom using the camera's properties tray. It has everything needed to follow his instructions. Phil talks about this... I can't recal off hand if it was in realism rendering or here in the forum. 

It works too!

giving it a render, my first zolly doomsmiley  with loveybear as star actor

recording my putzing around  in bandicam trial.  10 minute time limit per clip, and a watermark.

recording g3f progress also. can we call it progress cuz she doesnt crash?  lost the pose controls, fix 1 think, somethin else breaks