virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

I'se thinking of adding a Triax weight preset of G3.

Triax weighted G3F/M may be susceptible to the same file size drawbacks as Genesis 1 & 2.

but on the other hand, it should trigger triax autofit morph projections.

Genesis 8 eyebrows and eyelashes should benefit more from the morph projections.
    Wouldn't be able to test theory until i finished the triax preset.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited January 2018

Cool thinkings!

Oh man... I just can't help it. I love my friggin AMD Zambezi (what they used to call Zambezi, totally diffenent from the Zambezi now available, I think) 8 core!

Okay, it's probably the whole build from the PSU (finally got a "recommended" higher-end power supply) to the military-class motherboard, 16GB ripjaw RAM and the killer freaking case I put it in with all of the flowing filtered air....

This thing has been running wide open for days rendering batch queues fairly non-stop - and I've been torturing it like this since I built it in 2012 and it's still rendering blazing freaking fast! 

As much as seeing you put together thoughts of building a spanking new Ryzen 8 core beauty tantilizes my urge to build a newer, faster machine, when I go back and rock out on Carrara between render queues... I just cannot help but fully appreciate all that this amazing beast has done - and still does for me! 

It was cool too. I mentioned my build ideas on the forum and Spooky came in with his idea of using the highest end version Zambezi as mine - I got the cheapest of the 8-core Zambezi of then. We were both very pleased with our builds. Mine is 3.1GHz per core I think. His was a bit faster.

I was hesitant to go liquid cooled. Let's face it... I'm one of those "Starving Artists" and can't always be able to throw money at fixing something. The thought of running liquid around my precious chips just didn't sound favorable to me.  The Antec case I got is an amazing piece of kit! It's rare to have a case with a door panel behind the motherboard. This was awesome at routing cables in a good airflow fashion, but it also has an option for a 120mm fan - I put in a low rpm 120mm as an exhaust fan to have gentle cooling behind everything. The case came with a 230mm exhaust on the roof, 120mm exhaust in the back, 2 x 120mm intake in the front and one more on the door and my PSU came with its own 120mm fan too. The intake air filters are what I was really after, but this case just rocks! The beast that came with the Zambezi blew my mind. As a (numbskull) PC builder, it's been unheard of to use a stock fan - especially on a machine expected to run the cpu wide open for long periods. AMD stood by their word that it would handle the task better than anything else. After living with it for these past 5+ years, I'm sold. I'm glad I tried it.

I'm also really happy with my ATI Radeon GPU's OpenGL capabilities in Carrara - and it came with a nice pair of fans as well!

Yeah... it's not a high-end workhorse by computer-builder standards. It's not a gaming machine, though it can really rock Witcher 3 (the few minutes I've played). But for the few pennies I could afford (more like scrape together) at the time, this thing has been jammin' Carrara like a dream since 2012, and I'm proud of it.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

***Disclaimer***

I do mind my Ps and Qs when it comes to rendering though. I am convinced that I could easily bring any computer to its knees with a render. When I say my machine renders Blazingly Fast, I owe a lot of that to careful crafting of efficient rendering workflows which was my biggest focus for years - coming up with a compromise between speed and high-end renders via simplifying lighting, shaders and settings. 

the thing to worry bout in this cold weather season

static shickk  static monster ZWWAAOOO

ESD

Cool thinkings!

Oh man... I just can't help it. I love my friggin AMD Zambezi (what they used to call Zambezi, totally diffenent from the Zambezi now available, I think) 8 core!

Okay, it's probably the whole build from the PSU (finally got a "recommended" higher-end power supply) to the military-class motherboard, 16GB ripjaw RAM and the killer freaking case I put it in with all of the flowing filtered air....

This thing has been running wide open for days rendering batch queues fairly non-stop - and I've been torturing it like this since I built it in 2012 and it's still rendering blazing freaking fast! 

As much as seeing you put together thoughts of building a spanking new Ryzen 8 core beauty tantilizes my urge to build a newer, faster machine, when I go back and rock out on Carrara between render queues... I just cannot help but fully appreciate all that this amazing beast has done - and still does for me! 

It was cool too. I mentioned my build ideas on the forum and Spooky came in with his idea of using the highest end version Zambezi as mine - I got the cheapest of the 8-core Zambezi of then. We were both very pleased with our builds. Mine is 3.1GHz per core I think. His was a bit faster.

I was hesitant to go liquid cooled. Let's face it... I'm one of those "Starving Artists" and can't always be able to throw money at fixing something. The thought of running liquid around my precious chips just didn't sound favorable to me.  The Antec case I got is an amazing piece of kit! It's rare to have a case with a door panel behind the motherboard. This was awesome at routing cables in a good airflow fashion, but it also has an option for a 120mm fan - I put in a low rpm 120mm as an exhaust fan to have gentle cooling behind everything. The case came with a 230mm exhaust on the roof, 120mm exhaust in the back, 2 x 120mm intake in the front and one more on the door and my PSU came with its own 120mm fan too. The intake air filters are what I was really after, but this case just rocks! The beast that came with the Zambezi blew my mind. As a (numbskull) PC builder, it's been unheard of to use a stock fan - especially on a machine expected to run the cpu wide open for long periods. AMD stood by their word that it would handle the task better than anything else. After living with it for these past 5+ years, I'm sold. I'm glad I tried it.

I'm also really happy with my ATI Radeon GPU's OpenGL capabilities in Carrara - and it came with a nice pair of fans as well!

Yeah... it's not a high-end workhorse by computer-builder standards. It's not a gaming machine, though it can really rock Witcher 3 (the few minutes I've played). But for the few pennies I could afford (more like scrape together) at the time, this thing has been jammin' Carrara like a dream since 2012, and I'm proud of it.

i would be happy with Zambezi 8 core.

It doesn't hyperthread, so it's only 8 threads total. But yeah... I'm happy with it.

Reports say that it's not as fast as xxx, but I don't pay much attention to that stuff anymore. I bought my first laptop with an Intel Core2Duo because they were all the rage, and reports said how much they blew away the AMD competition (I was an AMD fan then too). Well my wife wanted a laptop too, and the one we decided on for her had a lower model of AMD's competition to the Core2Duo. Her laptop was a significant amount $$$ less than mine but it was so spanky! That thing had Windows loaded and cranking her stuff so much faster than mine - same PC manufacturer (Acer), same bloatware (same bloatware removed), etc., etc.,

That said, I'd love to give that Ryzen that you mentioned a nice test drive for, say, five or so years!

edited January 2018

unravellong rara hair crafting, the preciousss, the secrets  lol

decr of te tool icons
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/06_six/20_dynamic_hair_and_fur

Post edited by Mistara on

my desktop icons all moved to 2nd monitor  what a jumble  oww

Mistara said:

my desktop icons all moved to 2nd monitor  what a jumble  oww

I've still never tried multiple monitors. I don't see how I could fit them where I work.

I often wonder if Remote Desktop would allow me to work in Carrara on my Carrara machine but me being on my laptop. That would be cool.

My Carrara machine is no major deal compared to modern monster machines, but I am just tickled pink with it. Checking Task Manager, I've been rendering my Batch Queues with all of my 16 GB (14.2 to a peek of 15.6) RAM just wide open and all eight cores cranked! All fns spin up to their highest rpm and stay there, but the system never overheats as far as I've seen.

When I can I'd like to install the motherboard's max RAM allotment: 32GB, which will require all new sticks of RAM. My cores are only 3.1GHz each, but they do the job nicely. 

Time for some long overdue housekeeping though. Only 237GB left on my main HDD! Yikes!

Time for some long overdue housekeeping though. Only 237GB left on my main HDD! Yikes!

cramped !!

curious how different ior settings will look rendered with caustics on

Mistara said:

curious how different ior settings will look rendered with caustics on

Yeah... it really depends on the rest of the material (shader) settings, the object's shape, I'd imagine, and the lighting.

To my understanding, which is very limited, caustics will allow the light to project some of the shader it passes through onto other shaders - I bet that also includes itself.

I've used caustics and like the idea of using it, but haven't been needing it, as far as I can tell, in a lot of what I've been doing. The most I've been using IoR on is glass, eyes, water and other transparent materials, etc., and haven't felt the urge to spend the extra render time on carrying it through to other materials.

Thanks for bringing that up. Now is a perfect time for me to start thinking about testing it.

This is for Lightwave 2018, since it got a brand new PBR engine, and it covers some pretty deep stuff, but it's cool no matter what render engine/type used, just absorbing some of this language... give it a watch a little:

Lighting Shading and Rendering Tutorials - by RHLW

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Doesn't seem so long ago that seemed like a massive amount of storage!

Absolutely.

Now it fills up quickly! I render to uncompressed, full frame avi, and each file is normally around a half of a gig or so... sometimes a little less. But the multipasses are the same size, so it's around a gig or so for each camera.

Man, when no character or refractions were visible in the camera, I was getting frames rendering in 14 seconds! That's cool to see!  I guess you can tell I haven't been as busy rendering as I used to be. I got busy at it not long ago, but I was so rusty (and confident) that I ended up trashing most of it. But even then, I was just going in, setting the stage, getting the queue set up, launch and run - no checking the stats during a render.

Getting back into it at a better pace is just plain awesome! This horrible laptop is just ludicrous after being on my real machine, which is now outdated! ;)   I started looking at laptops... I almost don't even want one anymore. Impossible to find what I want and the closest thing is five bazillion dollars, whereas, if I would just build another PC... well now I have to reign myself in because it's very easy to go overboard and get the cost unreachable, but still a lot better than the closest thing a laptop can compete with. It makes those old HP Z600's look like an excellent option! :)

edited January 2018

ior  is it only under translucence channel?

oh i see it under refraction too.  guess should turn it on both channels

Post edited by Mistara on

mann is tricky setting collision distance on hair

collidide setting  too low, too high, eek

can spline objects be uvmapped?

can virtual cupcakes be as satisfying as the real thing?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

There is a default uv mapping for spline objects - just try applying a texture map and you will see it. Basically flat mapped on each end and wrapped around along the body of the spline. But you would need to convert to a Vertex Object if you want to edit the UV mapping.

"can virtual cupcakes be as satisfying as the real thing?" - No. Just, No.

PhilW said:

Well said, Sir! yes  +1

PhilW said:

Well said, Sir! yes  +1

red velvet cake cupcakes heart

hairs looking coarse.

one of these settings should make the hair look finer?

hmmm center of the poly

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Set the hair scale to medium and 1, and I usually then play with the thickness settings in the shader - something like root 60%, tip 30%, that should make the hair fairly fine without being so fine that it is see-through.

Thamks!  giving it a try

meanwhile, 10-core pron

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227762

Mistara said:

Lovely! By birthday is in February! :)

My first PC build was using a ThermalTake case. I love that thing. Still have it. The one shown in your link is liquid cooled! Sweet! If I could, I would double the RAM when ordering. having ten cores capable of 20 threads, I'd want the max 128 but would settle for starting with 64. But that's just me.   I also wonder why they went with a 600W power supply? They probably know what they're doing though! ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    PhilW said:

Set the hair scale to medium and 1, and I usually then play with the thickness settings in the shader - something like root 60%, tip 30%, that should make the hair fairly fine without being so fine that it is see-through.

nice advice thanks

dreamed about target helpers last night, crazy dream, can't sprout hairs from target helpers 

mebbe a hair comb system? parent the combs to a target helper?  sprouts the direction of the normals!

huh, forgot to try and sprout hairs on splines

thinkin of archvis