• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    th3Digit said:

Merry Geraltmas

Misty

lolllllll  my medallion is humming angelangel

this is the awesomest!!  thank you!!!

Mistara said:

carrara doesn't suffer the cross-talk poser does, right?

I'm not sure. Was that a Gen 3 issue, or 4? I don't remember. But I haven't used Gen 3 since I got Carrara, and also haven't heard of or been concerned with cross-talk. Hmmm.

Crosstalk was a poser thing, not to be nostalgic over.  like shadow smudge.

Santa left me a bill for my prezzies crying

left me 3tbs in usb drives. smiley  GT730 card to upgrade my amd dual core. good enough to render videos.

so how does a 1920x1080 rendered carrara video look on a uhd 4k monitor? 
    don't think i'se gonna get to see one soon. doh. loll.  lost lotto.

skarra moosh  gallileo 

saw ninja turtles movie.  cat playing chopstix with chopstix  rofl

the cutscene close ups of Yennifer, her skin looks pretty amazing.

so a 4K UHD monitor = (2160p) 3840 x 2160

christmas music is over, the classic rock station is on.   misssterrr cr oww lee

carry on my wayward s uuh uhn, be peace .. - luv this jam , is the same guys does 'dust in the wind'

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

My Nephew neeeeeeded a new iMac so he could buy Logic Pro for his music endeavors. It's been a lot of years since they've upgraded their home computer and/or laptop.

So, my Brother-in-law just bought a new iMac with a 5K monitor. He said it ridiculous how clear everything is and it can be maddening how much more stuff GUIs can (and will) cram onto the desktop! LOL

Love those songs. Fun drum parts too!

Quad-Core i7-2600 up to 3.8GHz - is kinda old but i7 ?  dunno, is a refurb

i7 Quad is nice! Does it have RAM?

Always a tough decision, buying a new machine. 

I was just browsing PC building parts since I built mine in 2012. Holy crap! When I bought my 8 core, 8 cores kinda stayed the max number for quite some time without getting into the crazy-high prices - and still even then it took a while.  Now they have 18 core cpu for PC (lots o' cash!!!) that hyperthread to 36 threads!!! Yikies!!!

...and the new AMD 8 core can now hyperthread (Ryzen line), so it has 16 threads, for around $300ish, depending on which model (cpu alone). That is super awesome! The new Ryzen (hyperthreaded) line of AMD cpus go from 4 core (8 thread) at around $100 to a 16 core (32 thread) at around $900.

Sure, $900 might seem like a lot for just the chip. But it's actually an amazing deal.The 16 core i9 is on sale now for around $1,700.

Either way, that's a lot of threads in a single consumer-level PC!

My other thoughts were to forget going modern for my Carrara machine and just get a powerhouse workstation just for running Carrara. If I need more from there I can Network render using nodes.

To that end, these modern cpu and their compatible hardware won't work for Windows 7, so I look to the past. The HP Z800 workstation. I can get a refurbished Z800 with dual six core Xeon (workstation-class) cpu and 48 GB RAM with Windows 7 64 bit Pro for just over $1,200!!!

Must be very careful when thinking along these lines, because it means that certain modern peripherals won't be compatible. But even when these things had single or dual core Xeons, they were highly sought after workstations for this 3D stuff! They were the Monsters of the Day!

I should add that I know very little about computers. Only enough to build my own consumer-level computer.

i hesitate on the lower hertz cpu, heard the light calculations use only 1 core when rendering?
    but then the buckets will fly by.

more hertz means being able to use higher light settings?  that should include caustics and gamma correction?

it has finally sunk into my thick headedness, lol, animation draft renders are my freind.
    just can't judge the speed of movement from the preview window.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 2017

I moved to a Mac for christmas 5K display, I got an 8T backup drive which give me nice piece of mind :)  I did get my DIM downloads moved over, Carrara installed and all my data.  (wont bore you with the list but my wife was like your still installing software as the list is fairly long and diverse) Most all my programs I bought cross platform, my tablet screen runs way better and smoother.  Its a AMD so no Iray for me, but I have Lux, started playing with Cheeta3D I loaded a carrara scene and quiet fast, Carrara renders fast.  I played wow on it and it was very nice overall very happy about it.   Now I got to pair down all the junk I accumlated over time on the other system and finish organizing.  I don't want to be the 'digital' horder no more. :) 

Glad the holidays are moving past and ready to rock the future.

Post edited by Milo on

My Nephew neeeeeeded a new iMac so he could buy Logic Pro for his music endeavors. It's been a lot of years since they've upgraded their home computer and/or laptop.

So, my Brother-in-law just bought a new iMac with a 5K monitor. He said it ridiculous how clear everything is and it can be maddening how much more stuff GUIs can (and will) cram onto the desktop! LOL

Love those songs. Fun drum parts too!

It really is huge.. and clear I use no line transitions and have to get use to moving my head as I go from bottom to top of screen, have to rethink my system position or get a computer only pair for the lowest.  Its lovely to have so much real estate and the track pad I didnt know if I would like, wife said to get it and I did and for the day to day stuff its great.  That add the drawing tablet monitor as a extended display only my friend who has 3 large monitor hooked up to play wow has more space.  I hope your Nephew makes some rocking stuff with the new system

Cool!! Yeah... I'm starting to horde less as well.

I can't wait to hear the cool stuff my Nephew is going to make. He's quite the digital musician!

Mistara said:

i hesitate on the lower hertz cpu, heard the light calculations use only 1 core when rendering?
    but then the buckets will fly by.

more hertz means being able to use higher light settings?  that should include caustics and gamma correction?

it has finally sunk into my thick headedness, lol, animation draft renders are my freind.
    just can't judge the speed of movement from the preview window.

Draft rendering also (I think) only uses one core (thread). Also, the speed (GHz) of a cpu will speed up anything it does. The reason that lower GHz Xeon cpu are really fast at many things, like 3D, is the logic of the thing. They're just better at certain calculations.

Anyway, so the higher GHz will not only help with the lighting and other single-core operations, but also make each little bucket much faster as well. yes

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The 10 core Xeon W as used in the new iMac Pro is $1440. They say that 10 cores is the "sweet spot" when it comes to cores vs speed - as the number of cores increases, the speed of the cores goes down.

Of course this is all hypotherical, as non e of this new kit comes anywhere close to my price range!

The Xeons are now available with a whole lot of cores!

For Desktop-class PCs, AMD's Ryzen 16-core is 3.4 GHz without overclocking. Do you think hyperthreading slows down those cores some?

My eight-core AMD Zambezi is 3.1 GHz on each of the eight physical cores, and it takes no finessing to get them there. I've been incredibly happy with this thing.

AMD's highest number of cores in a Server-class (Epyc) chip is 32 @ 2.0GHz, 3.0GHz in Turbo mode - and it hyperthreads to 64 cores. ~$3,800

cores envy  lol smiley

dreams of a face rigged dragon 4

AMD's highest number of cores in a Server-class (Epyc) chip (EDIT: that I know of at this date) is 32 @ 2.0GHz, 3.0GHz in Turbo mode - and it hyperthreads to 64 cores threads. ~$3,800

I meant to say Threads, not cores!

cant see if importing a daz figure internally to a car file, converts it to carrara cigure or encapsulates the .dsf.duf files inside it

or internally converts poser figures to vertex format?  

it looks like the dson for carrara is inside the poser.ocx

vertex has more information in it than .obj, seems

the poser native figures, like sydney, she has no normals data in her obj file.  but looks like exporting her adds the normals section.

soo mysterious

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

They also have for servers the Xeon phi with 64 cores hyperthreaded is 128 threads per CPU  not like we can afford it but they are there now as of fall 2016

They also have for servers the Xeon phi with 64 cores hyperthreaded is 128 threads per CPU  not like we can afford it but they are there now as of fall 2016

Put a pair of those into a Carrara box! 256GB RAM and a pair of Titans... yeah!!!

edited January 2018

speculating on the speccs smiley for new carrara box

this m/b, cpu, and rams (boy goats?)

288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Ryzen ThreadRipper TR4/ATX /3x M.2/WIFI/Front USB 3.1/RGB Fusion/Killer LAN/4 Way SLI Motherboard)

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (8-core/16-thread) Desktop Processor 

could prolly find a cheaper m/b >.<

leaves power supply, connectors are confusing

case

os

gpu, dual hdmi out

ssd + hdd

cooling

and of course, the moola ... almost tax return time devil

not seeing a slot for ssd on that m/b  oww
    rgb pin connector, never seen that before

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited January 2018

ssd needs a special m/b slot?

Post edited by Mistara on

that particular ssd requires a M.2 connection, there are sata and others

Milo said:

that particular ssd requires a M.2 connection, there are sata and others

Be sure to check the motherboard specs for all connections you need.

The same can be said for Power Supply - make sure they have plenty of connectors and the right kind. Some cpu and/or their fan might require a special power supply connection, as do some video cards, etc.,

I was lucky enough to think of this before ordering my last power supply, I almost placed an order for one that wouldn't have met all of my needs, connector-wise.

Should be easy enough to check. I have done all of my computer parts shopping at Newegg and have been very happy with how easy it has been to check all of the necessary specs on stuff.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

That mobo has "Triple M.2 with thermal guard" according to your image (seems to be a screw down cover)

Not quite sure why it has so much "armor" - maybe it's for use in a war zone?

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

That mobo has "Triple M.2 with thermal guard" according to your image (seems to be a screw down cover)

Not quite sure why it has so much "armor" - maybe it's for use in a war zone?

Heatsink to remove heat