There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 3

Comments

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,252

columbine said:

rokkr said:

Knowing there's a PW Productions item as Door Buster: "Yay!!!"

Discovering you already own the item: "Boo-hoo..."

Having had the item bookmarked for nigh a year because it was too expensive to buy until there was a genuine justification for it: OH YEAH BABY SCORE

Looks cool. How on earth does one navigate it in DS? Large sets are cumbersome in DS and I know no way to change that. Not to mention what having the whole set loaded would do to render times... crying

• rokkrrokkr Posts: 135

OrangeFalcon said:

WinterMoon said:

Unfiltered opinion: I'm not crazy about all this toon stuff that's all the rage. This is a 3D program. frown

I'm pretty divided on the new toon style.  It looks great, but I don't like how even when you add the Filatoon shader to non-toon assets, many of them just don't mesh well with the style.  It's understandable that those products weren't made with this in mind, but now you essentially need to obtain a whole new separate set of toon assets, and some have the additional add-on Iray versions-at an extra cost, of course.  Hopefully as time goes on the shaders get better, but for now I'm keeping my toon library limited for now and focusing more on the 3D style for my spending.

I think, objectively speaking, it's good to have another "trick in the sleeve" to use--even more when it's free. It's undeniable, for instance, if one uses Daz professionally, there'll be another style to offer clients. If one will like it... It's subjective... If you like the style and can't do better by other means, it's great; if you don't, it's understandable you don't care. No use in arguing about it.

Now... I've been playing a lot with it those last days and it requires some work to get things right, but, on the other hand, it's way easier to create textures for it (at least, for clothes and props), since you only need a diffuse texture. For skin materials, if one wants something more realistic/less toonish, the original diffuse textures can be used (though increasing contrast works better), if not, just use the new toon materials and color it according to your tastes/needs. I don't think special add-ons are needed for toon use. The other way round is more plausible: if you bought a toon, for instance, outfit, you either have to create the textures yourself (either from scratch or using a shader product) or buy an add-on for it.

columbine said:

rokkr said:

Knowing there's a PW Productions item as Door Buster: "Yay!!!"

Discovering you already own the item: "Boo-hoo..."

Having had the item bookmarked for nigh a year because it was too expensive to buy until there was a genuine justification for it: OH YEAH BABY SCORE

Lucky you! I paid $15.11 for it... cheeky

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 434
    edited October 15

EDIT: This was for Torquinox. I could have sworn I was in quote-reply mode ...

One develops a certain set of skills for navigating PW sets.

But, yeah, some of his are definitely load monsters. Mandrakia Island and the full build of Airport Island are both enormous -- Mandrakia Island (I am looking at it right now) took a notably long time to load in the "all" load and an equally long time to display in the work viewport once it loaded ... I would say the area of the island itself is about 16,000 x 16,000 in usual Studio positioning units.

Fortunately, like Airport Island and most of PW's other large kits, it can be loaded in individual sections instead of the whole thing, Also, unlike 99% of all kits, where as soon as I load them the first thing I do is delete all the cameras they've put in the scene (I will load my own cameras, thank you much), with big PW kits I do actually use his cameras because it can easily take five minutes or more JUST to position a camera. Even FINDING things in these two island sets can lose you lots of time. (I also use a move-to script sometimes to move figures to the locations of his cameras, and then reposition them from there, because it's much faster than dragging a figure all the way from 0/0/0 to where you need it.)

Strangely, all of the size issues have to do with the amount of memory it takes to load and the amount of time it takes to navigate and position in the set. I have never yet had a big PW set take unusually long RENDER times. If you have the memory to do it at all, you'll likely find your renders aren't any slower than usual. But maybe I've just gotten lucky.

Post edited by columbine on
  • DasTriDasTri Posts: 62

Cortex said:

The free $20 (or $40 with a debut new release) coupon for it being mid-way point to Halloween is awesome.

Alas, if you use 8 Tokens, it goes down to $22 free content from 40.

@columbine Thanks for the info! The island looks grand, but I'd probably get lost in it. Too much! Too much of everything! Then again, if I exported it to another program... Maybe that would work? Probably unintended consequences from doing that. Got a few hours to think about it. Thanks again.

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,229

DasTri said:

Cortex said:

The free $20 (or $40 with a debut new release) coupon for it being mid-way point to Halloween is awesome.

Alas, if you use 8 Tokens, it goes down to $22 free content from 40.

I think that's fixed, because I just got the Horsemen and Dain Pro Bundles for $.59 with three tokens ($.24 and $.35 respectively).

• TesseractSpaceTesseractSpace Posts: 1,315

Sadly too late for me, and by the time a ticket could be dealt with, the offer would be gone and I'd lose what little I did get.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,914

hmm .. I got the $20 coupon, $40 with a debut new, so I threw that hell whatever in my cart, it dropped to $1.69 with my 8 tokens. Then I started adding products, Dain 9 Pro, Death 9 Pro, and so far 6 other products. The total owed for these is $0. I've been adding 1 item at a time until the products start getting a charge. Can;t beat it really. The only negative I own a few products already from the pro bundles, but for free I don;t care. Could get more bang for a buck if I chose bundles I don;t have though. 

• I just picked up the Dain 9 Pro Bundle for free with the discount.  Not bad.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 790

Actually knocked seven things off my "maybe someday" list with this one! Plus the hell portal. Came down to 50 cents an item when you average out the total, and I definitely would've picked all that up on LD if it'd shown up that low. (Well, probably not hell, but it was the trigger, so whatever.) Thanks, Daz!

• mdingmding Posts: 1,238

WendyLuvsCatz said:

https://www.daz3d.com/a97-dforce-phanie-dress-for-genesis-9-females

how do they even come up with these names?

I maybe could autofit it to Candida if I buy it cheeky or just drape it so she can go free and breezy whatever side of the pond she wades

@WendyLuvsCatz: Maybe "Fanny"? I also like that dress and Candida looks interesting!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,120

mding said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

https://www.daz3d.com/a97-dforce-phanie-dress-for-genesis-9-females

how do they even come up with these names?

I maybe could autofit it to Candida if I buy it cheeky or just drape it so she can go free and breezy whatever side of the pond she wades

@WendyLuvsCatz: Maybe "Fanny"? I also like that dress and Candida looks interesting!

well a Fanny who is aTragedeigh

I guess Steph or Steffie was not redneck enough cheeky

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 782

I'm probably late to the party but when did Rhiannon put some of their catalog available for purchase here at Daz? I have some of the Nyx and Crux items from the other store.

• ElorElor Posts: 1,345

y3kman said:

I'm probably late to the party but when did Rhiannon put some of their catalog available for purchase here at Daz? I have some of the Nyx and Crux items from the other store.

Today, so you're on time for the party, not late.

• ecks201ecks201 Posts: 446
    edited October 16

Blimey, now Rhiannon is here, they only need 3DClassics and TruForm and that will have taken the main people I go elsewhere for.

They really could do with 3DClassics and TruForm, Daz is not where it should be in the vehicles department

Post edited by ecks201 on
  • XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 339
    edited October 16
    If you have a Premier subscription, 8 tokens, add https://www.daz3d.com/iv-a-touch-of-magic-poses-for-genesis-8-female and https://www.daz3d.com/dd-pbr-hawaiian-print-fabric-shaders-for-iray-vol-2 to your cart, a bunch of gen 8-9 DO items become 94-96% off. You can then use your $10 off of $25 coupon to make the discount even better. If you want to replace your 8 tokens as premier, I think aiming for a $50 cart is best because your $10 coupon will put you at $40 replacing your tokens. The coupon would then give roughly an extra 20% off leaving a final discount on many DO items of 95-97% off with a very cheap buy in. Not as good as yesterday's Halloween special discount, but the discount is on par with some of the very best DO discounts and great time to pick up the included bundles you don't have.
    Post edited by XiousDs on

XiousDs said:

If you have a Premier subscription, 8 tokens, add https://www.daz3d.com/iv-a-touch-of-magic-poses-for-genesis-8-female and https://www.daz3d.com/dd-pbr-hawaiian-print-fabric-shaders-for-iray-vol-2 to your cart, a bunch of gen 8-9 DO items become 94-96% off. You can then use your $10 off of $25 coupon to make the discount even better. If you want to replace your 8 tokens as premier, I think aiming for a $50 cart is best because your $10 coupon will put you at $40 replacing your tokens. The coupon would then give roughly an extra 20% off leaving a final discount on many DO items of 95-97% off with a very cheap buy in. Not as good as yesterday's Halloween special discount, but the discount is on par with some of the very best DO discounts and great time to pick up the included bundles you don't have.

I've been using that to get some great buys for sure.  

• AsuCafeAsuCafe Posts: 50

Rhiannon is coming, but my GC is almost gone.

Well, at least I can afford those fancy socks.

edited October 16

ecks201 said:

Blimey, now Rhiannon is here, they only need 3DClassics and TruForm and that will have taken the main people I go elsewhere for.

They really could do with 3DClassics and TruForm, Daz is not where it should be in the vehicles department

If even Rhiannon is here now, things seem to be really bad on the other side of the fence...

Unfortunately, except for a few items, I got most (or, at least, most of what I'm interested in) of her store. And a few items (mostly G8F versions of old G3 stuff I already have) which I would happily buy for Daz Store prices are not here yet...

EDIT: B.T.W., those Valery3D old V4 characters are really beautiful. Gonna wait for a better sale to buy many of them and use 'em as G2F. Sad she doesn't seem to be doing characters anymore... I have most of her G3F and G8F. If anyone doesn't have 'em yet, here's my recommendation.

EDIT 2: Talking 'bout who could come over here, I think Freja/Friday21 would be a welcoming addition. She used to publish a lot here and has many G2/3F classic characters still around here (of which I got almost all), but, since the beginning of the Genesis 8 era, she moved to the other store and is still there. I'd love to see her G8F characters here. There are many others who I'd love to see here, but, when it comes to classic PAs who used to publish here, I can only think of her.

Post edited by rokkr on

It's important to remember that all the welcomed artists still have stores over there at Rendo. It's not so much "leaving there and coming here" as "let's do both!" And the main benefits to coming here are access to DS pa tools and maybe also more money! Well, at least one well-regarded long-time pa makes no bones about that second one. wink

• Torquinox said:

It's important to remember that all the welcomed artists still have stores over there at Rendo. It's not so much "leaving there and coming here" as "let's do both!" And the main benefits to coming here are access to DS pa tools and maybe also more money! Well, at least one well-regarded long-time pa makes no bones about that second one. wink

It's absolutely a good idea to expand their reach and to take advantage of the PA perks from Daz, too.  Always great to have more variety, too. 

the only negativ I see with vendoors moving over is having to back track to make sure you haven't already purchased them from the other store. 

daveso said:

the only negativ I see with vendoors moving over is having to back track to make sure you haven't already purchased them from the other store. 

That's a fact! There have been some very familiar-looking items that I found I already have.

Torquinox said:

It varies... Some have the same items here and there; some have some items here, some items there; others, like LilFlame, have de facto left Rendo because her store there is like a ghost town. It's like OOT store there, who made her move probably a long time ago, but left a few items there without publishing anything new (except for those add-ons branded as "OOT PBR Texture", though, the last one is almost a year old).

daveso said:

In my case, I feel kinda like a sucker, because I bought it there and it will probably be sold way cheaper here in some sale... But that's life...

edited October 16

rokkr said:

Torquinox said:

It varies... Some have the same items here and there; some have some items here, some items there; others, like LilFlame, have de facto left Rendo because her store there is like a ghost town. It's like OOT store there, who made her move probably a long time ago, but left a few items there without publishing anything new (except for those add-ons branded as "OOT PBR Texture", though, the last one is almost a year old).

daveso said:

In my case, I feel kinda like a sucker, because I bought it there and it will probably be sold way cheaper here in some sale... But that's life...

like today, where you can get 70% off if you buy 3.  and more off if you have tokens or a coupon from membership  I have 4 Rhiannon products in my cart for $2.50 each right now. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • JumbotronJumbotron Posts: 100

The 20% discount for including a welcome artist item in the cart applies to gift card purchases as well.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,562

daveso said:

I use Daz deals add on to add a comment to those I already own when a vendor moves their items there.
    edited October 17

daveso said:

rokkr said:

Torquinox said:

daveso said:

like today, where you can get 70% off if you buy 3.  and more off if you have tokens or a coupon from membership  I have 4 Rhiannon products in my cart for $2.50 each right now. 

Well... 70% is not far from what you can get around there. Not criticizing you because I am, myself, buying 3 Valery3D products and using 2 tokens only (though one of the products -- the one I was dying for -- was a prime there, and I'd probably not get more than 50% rebate...  60% in the best case scenario), but items like this would be at 89% during the PA sale with all the rebates. I'm doing this extravaganza today, but I'm limiting my cart to 10 bucks: 3 welcome artist products + the door buster. Even though, I'm still thinking about it because, in this "sale," I'll be paying 3x the price, that is, donating about 6 bucks to charity... OK... Like 2 or 3 beers, but I shouldn't make a habit of this... It would be good if I could use the 20% less in the whole cart, but I can't see how I could fill my cart today and it be a good deal...

Post edited by rokkr on
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 790

Well, one awesome thing about the new toon stuff for those of us who aren't into it... it's so visually different than everything else that it makes it super easy to scan right by them in the Debut New section.