There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 3

Comments

• XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 339
    Leana said:

XiousDs said:

They have found themselves essentially moved from a long standing VIP customer in first class to a 2nd tier business class customer even though they had pre-paid for a bunch of first class flights and service ahead of time. 

That’s not really an accurate comparison, as it would suggest that people who keep their prepaid membership will lose some of their previous benefits, which they don't.

A more accurate analogy would be a flight which only offered economy and business seats previously, but now introduces first class and increased the price of business seats. People who bought business seats in advance will still get business seats, but there's now a higher tier option available, and upgrade plans may or may not be interesting for them.

I understand there are some differences of coarse, but I don't think it is far off, especially when considering that certain features in Daz Studio won't be available. Daz+ members used to have access to all of the non PA tools that were native to the software. Now, the upgraded version of the studio folks had thought was going to be just an upgrade is locked behind the new tier. So it would be like, thinking that the airline was making QoL improvements to the whole plain to then realize that they just installed a new section that you don't have access to unless you pay for new flights. Least I can understand if folks feel that way. I think the fairest way to do so, was to give folks the opportunity to upgrade their current Daz plus annual membership based on the price difference per monthly daz+ and monthly Daz premier. So if you had 5 months left of daz+ you should have been able to pay roughly $45 to bump it to premier. If you had 1 year of Daz+ left then $108 to bump it to premier. That way, they still saved on the initial daz+, but would just have to pay the difference between the level they have already bought and the better tier. The $9 more, would grant the better discounts, extra $4 on both coupons, free basic character bundle, and give access to the pay wall studio features each month. I am enjoying the $1 premier specials currently myself. And if those kind of specials stick around alot, then the free basic character bundle might be enough for me to spend more on the subscription cause I spend overall less on buying stuff then. I think the $5 token is really boss. Essentially as a premier member it is like 2x token day every day, and 4x token day on Monday or Tuesday. That alone could pay for subscription difference in a month when you pay half as much to get your daz token discount running. I would much rather buy $40 worth of stuff to then move onto a cart of stuff with 8 token discount than have to buy and $80 cart to then get a cart with 8 token discount. I think the $5 token is really worth so much more than people are crediting it, especially since tokens will last 2 weeks now.

It's the steep increase in Daz+ that sours the milk for me. Because that increase came with nothing.

At least with Premier, it's "sure it's more expensive than Daz+, but look at all of the extras you'll get! Exclusive content, big savings, coupons!" That's sensible. If you want to sell me on a higher, more expensive plane of existence, you've got to make it worth my while. I hope that Premier does that successfully for folks.

But down here in Daz+ land, our coupons are still the same $6 off they always were. The "<> for a Day" sale prices of $1.99 went to $2.99 and are now $3.99. We lost some store products, we hope we won't lose more.

Honestly that's probably just spilt milk by itself. For a year of membership at $45-50 I can live with paying an extra dollar per item during a sale, or even living without Mesh Grabber 4.0.

But for $120 a month? For... tokens that don't expire as quickly? C'mon, that's just plain wrong.

For all intensive purposes Except for already having Daz+ subscription banked, daz+ subscription as a monthly feature seems kind of dead to me. I think if Daz+ included the improved studio and the improved discount, then it would be worth the $10 a month. But, the new Daz+ is for all intensive purposes just way more expensive for pretty much nothing new. Those who knew bought Daz+ annual for around $35. Now the same folks on the know would need to spend $120 for the same thing they used to have while missing out on the special new features in studio which I think stink. So I think the real question for most folks after they have no more Daz+ time left, is when do I stay basic and when do I upgrade to premier for the month? I personally think Daz+ will be a mostly dead tier.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

Torquinox said:

Leana said:

That’s not really an accurate comparison, as it would suggest that people who keep their prepaid membership will lose some of their previous benefits, which they don't.

A more accurate analogy would be a flight which only offered economy and business seats previously, but now introduces first class and increased the price of business seats. People who bought business seats in advance will still get business seats, but there's now a higher tier option available, and upgrade plans may or may not be interesting for them.

Actually, I think it's accurate. Before Premier, when there was 30% off GC, the Daz+ people got it. Now, it seems, we can kind of look forward to 20% and that's it. The 30% is reserved for Premier customers. Also, our actual membership price (knowing many people won't and didn't buy for less than 50% off for the year on a $70 subscription price - Conditioned by Daz to do that) is triple for the same benefit. Similarly, on sales, it's a safe bet the sale prices that used to be for Daz+ will only be for premier and we'll get some lesser sale price. That's already true. There's a certain amount of grey area because we can't say exactly what would have happened if Premier didn't exist, but Daz+ is a lot less shiny than it used to be. Premier is the Big Thing now. Daz+ is second class. Base is a distant third. That's my take.

And yes, there's some analogical overlap, but still... Bottom line is Daz+ is now second class citizenship.

30% off Gift Cards was very, very rare - 20% or thereabouts was quite common, sometimes the offer was a maximum of 15% or 18%. If Premier often  gets 30% then that would definitely be a new, enhanced feature for the new tier.

Blando Calrissian said:

It's the steep increase in Daz+ that sours the milk for me. Because that increase came with nothing.

At least with Premier, it's "sure it's more expensive than Daz+, but look at all of the extras you'll get! Exclusive content, big savings, coupons!" That's sensible. If you want to sell me on a higher, more expensive plane of existence, you've got to make it worth my while. I hope that Premier does that successfully for folks.

But down here in Daz+ land, our coupons are still the same $6 off they always were. The "<> for a Day" sale prices of $1.99 went to $2.99 and are now $3.99. We lost some store products, we hope we won't lose more.

Honestly that's probably just spilt milk by itself. For a year of membership at $45-50 I can live with paying an extra dollar per item during a sale, or even living without Mesh Grabber 4.0.

But for $120 a month? For... tokens that don't expire as quickly? C'mon, that's just plain wrong.

Premier is more than worth it.  I spent a little this weekend and earned a lot more tokens than I would have and now I'm ready to drop them for the bundle being released (hopefully) Thursday.  And now because of the longer timeframe, if I don't like it, I can pass without feeling bitter about deciding whether or not to waste the tokens or let them expire because there'll be another sale or the next week's bundle to look at.

I can't be the only who's strategy was to accumulate tokens at the beginning of the week and prepare to use them for the weekly DO release (when I'm able to financially, anyway).  I've gotten those bundle prices down quite a bit, but I admit at times it's come at a gamble and it's been frustrating at times.  Now if I want to do that I can spend half as much and with so much more flexibility.  That's why I am enjoying Premier right now, and I hope more people do.

We have very a similar mind set on premier. I think Daz made the idea of upgrading to premier for many folks hard because they made daz+ so bad incomparison from a price point. I just don't see the point of Daz+ at $10 a month whrn Premier is so much better for $9 more. I see the benefit of Premier at $19. I understand some folks on limited budgest won't be able to swing $19 a month for it and still have some left over to buy stuff from the store, but this is where saving for 3 months or so and then upgrading to Premier for a month when amazing sales are going on will help those folks out greatly. Some folks might find that they get enough free stuff with Premier and maybe $1 specials that they stick with it and pick their free character basic bundle each month. Time will tell, but I think it is less end of the world as some folks feel like it is. But Daz+ tier is totally lame incomparison to Premier.

Torquinox said:

Leana said:

Actually, I think it's accurate. Before Premier, when there was 30% off GC, the Daz+ people got it. Now, it seems, we can kind of look forward to 20% and that's it. The 30% is reserved for Premier customers. Also, our actual membership price (knowing many people won't and didn't buy for less than 50% off for the year on a $70 subscription price - Conditioned by Daz to do that) is triple for the same benefit. Similarly, on sales, it's a safe bet the sale prices that used to be for Daz+ will only be for premier and we'll get some lesser sale price. That's already true. There's a certain amount of grey area because we can't say exactly what would have happened if Premier didn't exist, but Daz+ is a lot less shiny than it used to be. Premier is the Big Thing now. Daz+ is second class. Base is a distant third. That's my take.

And yes, there's some analogical overlap, but still... Bottom line is Daz+ is now second class citizenship.

30% off Gift Cards was very, very rare - 20% or thereabouts was quite common, sometimes the offer was a maximum of 15% or 18%. If Premier often  gets 30% then that would definitely be a new, enhanced feature for the new tier.

In general I think it is safe to say Premier members can more likely expect to usually get the better gift card discount based on the initial premier release special. 30% off may still be rare, but I could see stuff like 10% off for basic, 15% off for Daz+, and 20% off for Premier as a pretty standard type of special based on sale practices from the last 3 years and based on how they show they want Premier to be worth more than Daz+. I like Premier, but I can fully understand why a lot of folks seem really upset about Daz+.
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,252
    edited October 14

Richard Haseltine said:

Not that rare this year and going forward, I don't see Daz+ being included in that 'cause Daz+ was already excluded. Daz+ is second class now and it's obvious that's how Daz is treating it.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • JumbotronJumbotron Posts: 100

Torquinox said:

Not that rare this year and going forward, I don't see Daz+ being included in that 'cause Daz+ was already excluded. Daz+ is second class now and it's obvious that's how Daz is treating it.

I haven't been here for long. Became a Daz+ customer probably less than a year ago. But what you're saying is also what I've perceived in my rather short time here. I mean, previously, as a Daz+ member, I've been really fortunate with gift card sales, which I've taken advantage of. Few times these got 30% off, even better a couple of times.

It is a pity, but I also feel that now Daz+ has lost much of its former value. It doesn't matter in my case, though. My sub still runs for more than a year from now. I can't waste what I've got now by shifting to Premier at this moment. What I'll do once my Daz+ subscription is about to end remains to be seen.

• jd641jd641 Posts: 457

Maybe I'm missing something here but I got a banner for $20 off from a select category. Death 9 HD is in the selection listed at $15 currently. I put D9 in the cart, apply the coupon and the total is showing up as 6.86...

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,057

Where's the Daz+ shop page at these days?  Not the membership page, the one that shows the weekly Daz+ item and weekly selection of discounted item, as well as the Daz+ freebies?

I AM still Daz+, until sometime in 2026 at least, the sale page should still show up regardless...

It was hidden in dropdowns before Premier showed up, now the said dropdowns have apparently disappeared.

• Write IdeaWrite Idea Posts: 314
    edited October 15

jd641 said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but I got a banner for $20 off from a select category. Death 9 HD is in the selection listed at $15 currently. I put D9 in the cart, apply the coupon and the total is showing up as 6.86...

Having the same issues. Purchased a debut new release, so its $40 off.

Tried getting XI Hell Portal and Death 9 HD Pro Bundle and the bundle is coming out $15, should be $7.

EDIT: And I don't have any tokens attached to the sale.

Post edited by Write Idea on
  • ElorElor Posts: 1,345

joanna said:

It's only worth it if you're a big spender, though, and spend big month in and month out. If someone's Daz budget is, let's say, only $100 per month, it's 1/5 of their spend, and to fully benefit from coupons they need to spend at least $25 on non new items. Given how hard it is sometimes to get a roughly $18 for a Daz+ items (again, unless you're already building a card of $50-100 where that $8 is an easy bonus), it's not that attractive, and the value of tokens depends on what's being released on top of what kind of other discounts are available, so somewhat a lottery.

I'm not sure I would use 'only' as a qualifier to 'spending $100 on virtual 3D goodies monthly' blush but I digress.

It's more like a tenth of that $100 budget, at least if that person is buying Daz Originals (DOs are always cheaper than non Daz Originals so someone with a lower budget is likely to buy DOs each month) and for that $9 from the subscription they can't spend on what they absolutely want, they can get a bundle (it's still one of the big unknown: does the bundles selection change each month or will a bundle stay part of that selection once entered meaning that someone could get Vicky 9 bundle next year ?).

Sure, it's not a big bad Mega Bundle, but a more limited Character Bundle, but it's still 5-6 items and a core character for $9, without any buy-in (so no cart jenga to get the discount from yesterday with the discount from three days ago, while singing the hedgehog song to be sure you didn't miss any discount that smarter cart jenga players didn't miss blush).

The second coupon, in a way, is and was always a trap: with Daz+ previous price, the membership paid itself if you only used the $6 off DOs coupon but Daz got to keep the membership price in their pockets if you used the second one (it's costed you $12 to get two $6 coupons), so someone should only use it if they were already planning a compatible cart (or if a juicy LD appeared out of nowhere laugh).

It's also easier to get tokens (1 per $5) and they last long enough that you could accumulate them on the back of small carts here and there before spending it two weeks after you got your first which is also making them less a gamble than before. Or ignoring them altogether because you only spent $2.5/$5 to get each of them, not $5/$10.

I still don't know if I'll keep my membership active (the price to get one month of Premier was low enough to tempt me but I doubt Daz has a system in place to tempt me like that each month) but I can see myself being happy with the possibility to get a bundle when it's new (which rarely happen outside of bundles that I can get at a low price without too much buy-in) and with $10 to chose DOs for ~$20 a month. Sure, with the temptation to spend much more because 'wahou, a Uber Mega Ultra Bundle for 96% off in my LDs, time to use my other coupon' blush

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,120

https://www.daz3d.com/a97-dforce-phanie-dress-for-genesis-9-females

how do they even come up with these names?

I maybe could autofit it to Candida if I buy it cheeky or just drape it so she can go free and breezy whatever side of the pond she wades

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 790

Coupon issue seems to be fixed.

edited October 15

Elor said:

Sure, it's not a big bad Mega Bundle, but a more limited Character Bundle, but it's still 5-6 items and a core character for $9, without any buy-in (so no cart jenga to get the discount from yesterday with the discount from three days ago, while singing the hedgehog song to be sure you didn't miss any discount that smarter cart jenga players didn't miss blush).

It's also easier to get tokens (1 per $5) and they last long enough that you could accumulate them on the back of small carts here and there before spending it two weeks after you got your first which is also making them less a gamble than before. Or ignoring them altogether because you only spent $2.5/$5 to get each of them, not $5/$10.

Unfortunately that character bundle is only a deal if you like the character bundles. If past is prologue, it'd be $9 for 5-6 items I have zero use for. Once in a great while there's something in a bundle that I'll toss on my wishlist and wait for a sale, but it's never more than an item or two, and the sale I'd wait for, they'd be below $9.

I'll admit that some of my wrinkle-nose on that one comes from the fact that when I signed up for D+ originally, I was all excited by the offered freebies (for the Daz-definition of "freebie" that means "you have to pay to get it, so really it's not free just discounted"), especially since the one that month was Tanglewood Dell... which apparently grinds my CPU to a standstill, so I can't use it. Occasionally there's one that drops that turns out well for me, but... well, Exhibit A: this week's offering. Oh, look. It's ANOTHER POOL. I suppose I could empty the water out and use it as a planter for all the flowers? Or scale down all the little sci-fi vehicles/drones and float them in it like tub toys?

Post edited by SilverGirl on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,917

SilverGirl said:

It's ANOTHER POOL. I suppose I could empty the water out and use it as a planter for all the flowers? Or scale down all the little sci-fi vehicles/drones and float them in it like tub toys?

In my imagination, every single one of those pools have a sinister urban legend attached to them. I'm tempted to create a series of images showing the alleged events that took place there, sometime in the past.

Unfiltered opinion: I'm not crazy about all this toon stuff that's all the rage. This is a 3D program. frown

WinterMoon said:

SilverGirl said:

It's ANOTHER POOL. I suppose I could empty the water out and use it as a planter for all the flowers? Or scale down all the little sci-fi vehicles/drones and float them in it like tub toys?

In my imagination, every single one of those pools have a sinister urban legend attached to them. I'm tempted to create a series of images showing the alleged events that took place there, sometime in the past.

LOL I love it. I hope if you ever get around to it, you share. 

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,917

SilverGirl said: LOL I love it. I hope if you ever get around to it, you share. 

He he, thanks! I definitely will, because I'm all about the attention!

SilverGirl said:

Oh, look. It's ANOTHER POOL. I suppose I could empty the water out and use it as a planter for all the flowers? Or scale down all the little sci-fi vehicles/drones and float them in it like tub toys?

Haha! 3 birds with one stone! laugh At least the pool is compact - 8mb download. Anyway, at least it's not another corridor. cheeky

edited October 15

Also, the hafway to Halloween coupon is awesome! Thanks Daz! Put https://www.daz3d.com/xi-hell-portal in the cart and go wild! I scored https://www.daz3d.com/dain-9-hd-pro-bundle as part of the prize and spent a little over $4.21 for $287.82 of DO stuff. That should be impossible, and yet... Daz math. angel They do stuff like this and... IDK. Just Thanks Daz!  

WinterMoon said:

Unfiltered opinion: I'm not crazy about all this toon stuff that's all the rage. This is a 3D program. frown

I kind of agree, mostly because so many of the samples look so oversaturated and not ot my taste. Yet it solves a long-running DS problem of how to get a cel-shaded look quickly and easily. The last really good cel-shader was PWToon and that's kind of a hassle to use (material setup, etc) and (IIRC) not even available any more. So, as one more tool in the toolbox and maybe as a step forward for much-neglected Filament renderer, it's a good thing.

edited October 15

Elor said:

Unfortunately that character bundle is only a deal if you like the character bundles. If past is prologue, it'd be $9 for 5-6 items I have zero use for. Once in a great while there's something in a bundle that I'll toss on my wishlist and wait for a sale, but it's never more than an item or two, and the sale I'd wait for, they'd be below $9.

I'll admit that some of my wrinkle-nose on that one comes from the fact that when I signed up for D+ originally, I was all excited by the offered freebies (for the Daz-definition of "freebie" that means "you have to pay to get it, so really it's not free just discounted"), especially since the one that month was Tanglewood Dell... which apparently grinds my CPU to a standstill, so I can't use it. Occasionally there's one that drops that turns out well for me, but... well, Exhibit A: this week's offering. Oh, look. It's ANOTHER POOL. I suppose I could empty the water out and use it as a planter for all the flowers? Or scale down all the little sci-fi vehicles/drones and float them in it like tub toys?

I may be misunderstanding what you wrote, but it sounded like you were saying you were excited for the daz freebies associated with Daz+, but that you have found out they are not really free. Did I understand you right, and if yes, are you talking about the weekly and monthly daz+ freeby? If so, you are mistaken. The Daz+ weekly and monthly freebies cost you nothing to buy as a daz+ member. They require no buy in other than the membership. They just are sometimes a pain in the butt to find, because they keep moving around where you see them to add them to your cart. Also as far as free character bundles for premier, from what I read, new characters will be featured with older characters to allow for variety. And, if someone does not like bundles, there is still decent value for someone who mostly just buys the Daz primary characters. Actually, it's probably the least value for the person who likes the full pro bundles, but in either case it is still 1 free primary daz character a month which is pretty nice.
    Post edited by XiousDs on
  • rokkrrokkr Posts: 135

Knowing there's a PW Productions item as Door Buster: "Yay!!!"

Discovering you already own the item: "Boo-hoo..."

• Mid-month coupon code. I was happy when I saw the original Mostly Erroneous selection. Several items I had Wishlisted plus others that I'd consider for $0-3 buy-in, plus some showing lower prices in cart.

Then, the coupon didn't work - because the selection was wrong. Nothing I wishlisted was in Corrected! Selection! And what was left was slim pickings. I think Daz left a lot of horror/dark fantasy DOs out. Torment 8.1 & his theme bundles aren't included, although his base is in 1 of the Creatures of the Night bundles. I have a cart with Anneka 3 base and Spooky Hollow & Damien 3 Pro bundles but undecided between that & Cart 2, which is the smaller G9 Monster Mash -- or option 3, "forget this deal!"

Speaking of "$3 buy in," which is the XI Hell Portal. I'd never use it  (confession, I'm a borderline pyro-phobe) but wouldn't be the first time I grabbed a cheap buy-in I don't care for. 

@SilverGirl I too am tired of pool models, and since it's +/Premier, it doesn't count for Freebie challenge. Might I suggest https://www.daz3d.com/pliable-plastic-iray-shaders for your SF pool toys? It includes hard plastic shaders.

Hmmm, I have the ancient https://www.daz3d.com/sea-dragon. Is anyone interested in a render of a Nessie pool ride-on?  Or should I do something serious like the summoning of a water demon? (If that doesn't step on @WinterMonn's toes) Question: does the pentagram go on the pool bottom or the deck? 

• WinterMoon said:

I'm pretty divided on the new toon style.  It looks great, but I don't like how even when you add the Filatoon shader to non-toon assets, many of them just don't mesh well with the style.  It's understandable that those products weren't made with this in mind, but now you essentially need to obtain a whole new separate set of toon assets, and some have the additional add-on Iray versions-at an extra cost, of course.  Hopefully as time goes on the shaders get better, but for now I'm keeping my toon library limited for now and focusing more on the 3D style for my spending.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,562

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Hmmm, I have the ancient https://www.daz3d.com/sea-dragon. Is anyone interested in a render of a Nessie pool ride-on?  Or should I do something serious like the summoning of a water demon?

Both? wink

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 434

rokkr said:

Knowing there's a PW Productions item as Door Buster: "Yay!!!"

Discovering you already own the item: "Boo-hoo..."

Having had the item bookmarked for nigh a year because it was too expensive to buy until there was a genuine justification for it: OH YEAH BABY SCORE

edited October 15

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Speaking of "$3 buy in," which is the XI Hell Portal. I'd never use it  (confession, I'm a borderline pyro-phobe) but wouldn't be the first time I grabbed a cheap buy-in I don't care for.

Near 500mb download! Hell takes a lot of hard drive space, but still a few hundred mb less than https://www.daz3d.com/decorative-pillows and a bit less than these https://www.daz3d.com/pillows . No idea why pillows require so much disc space. Probably png textures or some such thing.

XiousDs said:

SilverGirl said:

Elor said:

I may be misunderstanding what you wrote, but it sounded like you were saying you were excited for the daz freebies associated with Daz+, but that you have found out they are not really free. Did I understand you right, and if yes, are you talking about the weekly and monthly daz+ freeby? If so, you are mistaken. The Daz+ weekly and monthly freebies cost you nothing to buy as a daz+ member.
    They require no buy in other than the membership. They just are sometimes a pain in the butt to find, because they keep moving around where you see them to add them to your cart. Also as far as free character bundles for premier, from what I read, new characters will be featured with older characters to allow for variety. And, if someone does not like bundles, there is still decent value for someone who mostly just buys the Daz primary characters. Actually, it's probably the least value for the person who likes the full pro bundles, but in either case it is still 1 free primary daz character a month which is pretty nice.

No, I am not mistaken. I've been putting them in my cart for a year now; I think it can be assumed that I'm aware that there isn't a trigger item required. My point is that membership itself is a required (paid) trigger. You said it yourself above, membership is a buy-in. 

The "free" items might not cost more beyond that, but they are part of the lure/compensation for that monetary outlay.  I accept that going in, I just had the idea that they would be things I'd find useful, or at least varied enough that useful would come up in the rotation more often, based on the fantasy offering that month. Not the case. Lesson learned. Now I ignore the offer of "free" things when I'm factoring the value of a Daz subscription and make my decisions based on other criteria. For me, my level/pattern of spending, and item interests, a recurring subscription is only worth it when I can get a good discount on a yearly, especially now that I have nearly all of my foundational stuff. Otherwise, makes more sense to just do the occasional month if the things I want go on a good sale. It's cool if other people consider it a good deal for them. But I've done the math, and it's not for me.

• CortexCortex Posts: 111
    edited October 15

The free $20 (or $40 with a debut new release) coupon for it being mid-way point to Halloween is awesome.

Post edited by Cortex on
  • @Torquinox thanks for the Hell Portal info. If I go for the $40 free, it'll just stay undownloaded then. 

@Columbine I can't resist it. So many smaller environments and I've been wanting an island of my own.