The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• Computer ever flake out on you, do you sometimes get in frustrating situations that need quick resolution?  You're not alone.laugh

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-56039699

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

there no way to embed a font in access or excel?
    for my barode proj, rather not need to install barcode font on work pcs
    been on and off with the bracode roj for a few years.  day job wont buy me a brother ql thermal barcode printer.  gave me a ptouch .  costs a fortune to buy those label cartridges

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited February 2021

Apparently cats started their campaign to beguil humans with funny pictures as far back as 1911... just in case anyone thought it was more of an internet thing...

If you don't have access to a time machine or Temporal Touristry Service, and are curious about what passed for LOLcats before the Great War (which is kinda false advertising, because it actually pretty much sucked for everyone involved) you could check this out... https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/kittens-and-cats-a-first-reader-1911-cats-and-captions-before-the-internet-age

The website itself is a great source of fascinating publications and imagery from the 15th to 20th century that has come into the public domain.

https://publicdomainreview.org/

Post edited by McGyver on

non complaint  chixn biryani for dinner. giving doordash another try. Curry express.

does pigeon taste like chicken?  dunno if i'd be fooled.

yaknow the carrara challenge offers a nice gc prize.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,236
    edited February 2021

Non-complaint:  Wheee, all sorts of fun.  I'm still moving data around to suit my new computer setup.  Cataloging what's where and where I want it to be and figuring out the minimal and fastest way to get it there.  When dealing with terabytes of data, from a USB2 drive and through a 10/100 LAN port just doesn't do.indecision  OK, so without ripping out the old drives and rehosting them, or relocating external drives (why put an old USB2 drive on a spiffy new USB3.1 machine?) cheeky  I've managed to find enough and long enough USB cables to temporarily connect old external drives in-situ to the new machine.  Not super fast but faster than squeezing it out through an ancient LAN port. yes  I wanted only USB3 internal and external drives on my new machine but gave in and moved the data cable from one USB2 external drive to the new machine because the data on the drive is huge but rarely accessed and relocating the drive wasn't logictically practical.  I just permanently moved the data cable.  However, I did finally have to rip out one external USB2 drive and untangle its power cable to move it to my other new computer temporarily to copy the data directly from external disk to internal SSD.  Another 30 minutes to go.indecision

When all done, the old USB2 drives will either be retired or remain on the 10 year old machine and be repurposed or remain as a last hope archive of the data it holds.

I avoided this phase of my system upgrade till last because despite having cleaned up and managed the cables behind two of the sides of my "U" shaped workarea, the third side is tight against the wall and guarded by extremely heavy furniture that I can't move by myself anymore.  So, getting to the data and power cables crammed behind the furniture is a sweat producing feat.  The equipment in that furniture has been accumulating there, piece by piece, for almost 12 years.  A lot of time to become spaghettified as I drop each new cable over the top and behind the furniture.sad

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,630

LeatherGryphon said:

Computer ever flake out on you, do you sometimes get in frustrating situations that need quick resolution?  You're not alone.laugh

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-56039699

...computer is fine, the Daz programme for some reason has been flaking out lately.   In the last week or so I've been seeing a lot of lag in programme operations, not just when loading a scene or scene subset, but loading also loading content from the Content tab and even expanding a folder in the tab's tree (I don't bother with Smart Content as I'm no longer paid to be a database manager)..  I've been running the 4.12.0.47 beta since it came out in 2019 as it's been nice and stable (better than the 4,12 and 4.14 general releases), that is until just recently.  I also don't use Daz Connect just teh Install mAnager as i have done for years. It has nothing to do with my custom Runtime/Library structure either.  The programme has also been crashing now and then as well, not sure why as it rarely if ever did so over the last year-plus that I've been using it.    It's not the hardware or AV as I don't have these issues with any other software though evne with12 GB and over 3,000 cores on the GPU I am gstill getting that white flicker as the programme is doing things like setting up for rendering and a few other operations.   

Since moving from the Comcast provided Norton AV to a new verion locally on my system along with cleaning a bunch of junk from old unistaleld software from the registry, Chrome has been behaving extremely well (no more bouts of frequent "not responding" messages and freeze ups) and pages open almost instantly even with VPN active. The system also boots up much quicker than it used to.

So not sure what's happening and why only the Daz programme is acting up like this.

zomg spiceyyyy  i see dead people

its even colder in Cs  -5°C

....--3°C here with snow and ice as well as winds gusting to about 51 kmh ("real feel" is -12°C).  been snowing all day occasionally mixed with a bit of sleet and ice so not a large accumulation as originally predicted, but fairly slick out there.  A number of bus routes in hilly areas were cancelled and the street tram stopped running earlier.  

Meanwhile sunny with a balmy 26°C in HIlo 

• galattgalatt Posts: 219

Today I learned the even with 64GB of RAM Daz and Zoom can't run at the same time and Daz will crash mid-render. Of course I didn't save before hand. That would  have been smart

edited February 2021

Mystiarra said:

non complaint  chixn biryani for dinner. giving doordash another try. Curry express.

Apparently it probably does... This is the average size of a "Chicken" drumstick at KFP... a small (actual) chicken drumstick from the grocery store is three times the size... a "fryer" drumstick is even larger.

So yeah... either they be using super small chickens or very slow pigeons.

Also it's very dangerous to do this... your motto is "Finger Lickin' Good" and you sell chicken drumsticks barely the size of a human thumb... it's just a matter of time till someone bites a thumb off.

I can tell you it's really easy to make that mistake when you are in a feeding frenzy.

Also... Sorry to not crop out the rest of my weird scarred up hand... especially if anyone was eating when they looked at this.

• McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

Apparently it probably does... This is the average size of a "Chicken" drumstick at KFP... a small (actual) chicken drumstick from the grocery store is three times the size... a "fryer" drumstick is even larger.

So yeah... either they be using super small chickens or very slow pigeons.

Or unsold colored Easter chicks. 

Peeps?... 

I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone remembered that a long time ago I wrote some dumb humor challenged post about Toilet Paper Cartels and then like a years or two later I posted that apparently what I thought was a joke was actually a thing... that actually just one of many incidents, especially over the last four years where (elsewhere not here for obvious reasons) I'd make a "current affairs" related joke that would either turn out to be true or come to pass... 
    Well, add my "cat poking" Readme (some of my readmes have "bonus features") to the list... I actually posted that here too, years ago, but I doubt anyone would remember. 
    Basically the joke was that as a form of community service fine I had to print some sort of public service announcement along with the read me...

The PSA was from the animal rights group PAPCWS (People Against Poking Cats With Stuff)... 

Since it's only a copy and paste, I'll just paste it instead of trying to describe it... (hey, I spent 45 minutes looking for this on two computers)...

A message from PAPCWS... (People Against Poking Cats With Stuff):

Poking a cat with a readme is not nice, nor is it a valid form of entertainment. 

Cat poking has tragically reached epidemic proportions in recent years due to it's relative low cost, the availability of poke-able cats and much underlying frustration and lingering resentment over "The Cat In The Hat" movie* starring Mike Myers and Kelly Preston.

Despite the horrible nature of this movie, it is vital that people know actual feline cats did not produce it. 
    Granted it was so bad a cat (or even blind ferret) could have produced it, but I must stress that in actuality real cats had nothing to do with it. 
    As a matter of fact Mike Myers is not even a real cat. 
    For the movie his DNA was purposely altered to make him appear to be a large cat and also to cut down on make-up costs. 
    This has greatly effected his career as the amount of makeup now needed to make him appear "normal" again, has greatly increased, as well as the need for CGI effects to remove his tail(It can be briefly seen in "Love Guru). 

Kelly Preston was not affected by this and continues to correspond with George Clooney's pet pig "Max" despite Max's objection to her role in the film. 

Where was I?...

Oh yeah...

CAT POKING: While once known as the "Sport of Kings" in preindustrial Europe, cat poking can trace it's origins back to the ancient isle of Choiros off the coast of Greece. 
    The island, made famous for its tasty roast pork products in the 1967 production "Gladiators of Pork" was once the home of the Gata Saki or "cat poke" in which hundreds of cats where placed in tiny wicker baskets and rhythmically poked with palm fronds to produce music. 
    Eventually the island was conquered by the Romans and the event devolved into cat swinging and feline gladiatorial games leading to a revolution by the famous "Catacus". 

Under the brilliant military leadership of Catacus the felines drove out their human tormentors. 
    Many years of peace and prosperity followed and the island was renamed “Meow” and as such grew into a vibrant and technologically advanced feline society. 
    The works of Meow were known to all and the inhabitants of Meow lived happily ever after until the island was obliterated in a cataclysmic volcanic explosion in 62 AD. 

No one survived... But sadly cat poking did... 

Today cat poking persists and globally upwards of 10 million cats are are being poked at any given moment. 

Right now...

In China giant industrial Cat Pokers poke dozens of cats at once for no apparent reason while across the globe on the back streets of Lima Peru, ragged vendors offer to poke innocent kitties with day old empanadas for as little as 5 centimos. 

In Calcutta and Mumbai India, cat poking dens have sprung up everywhere while local authorities turn their backs. 

In Singapore elicit "Poke Parlors" cater to curious tourists eager to poke exotic felines with illegal ivory pokers. 

Western nations are not immune to this epidemic. 

In London less then one block from the former home of Lord Tickleywhiskers, Police raided a poking den believed to be run by Russian Catnip traffickers. 

In the United States the FBI and Homeland Security have traced dozens of drive-by cat pokings in LA to terrorist cells working for Mexican drug lords under the employ of North Korean arms smugglers working in conjunctions with Iranian hat makers partly funded by EVIL-SANTA. 

Even in kindly and somewhat misunderstood Canada, the RCMP has found evidence of beer fueled poking festivals in cities as large as Greenwood BC.

Cat poking is everywhere these days and no place is immune to its allure. It may start out innocently enough with a poke to a feline's tummy with it's squeaky mouse, sure the cat may purr and seem to enjoy when you poke its ribs, but before you know it, you'll have dozens of strung out cats in your home and all you'll think about is poking. 

Poking kills. 

Recently in suburban Boston MA a 102 year old man died while poking his cat. 

Think before you poke. 

If you are walking down a dark street on the wrong end of town searching for god knows what in some urine soaked alley and a pretty and scantily dressed young woman approaches you and offers to "let you poke her kitty"...

REMEMBER- say:"No thank you! Cat poking is wrong!" and then go on your way and buy illegal fireworks, drugs or whatever it was you went there for.

Only you can prevent cat poking.

This message was sponsored by the Max Clooney fund and PAPCWS.

To keep things fair and balanced I must also include this statement from ESATIHMG...(Evil Santa And The Iranian Hat Makers Guild).

Cat poking is fun.

Those cheap bastards... Really, they didn't even pay me for that.

Okay, so that was it...not very funny, but that wasn't the point... I'm not really sure what the point was, (I hardly ever am)... But at the moment the thing that spurred me reposting that is the Cat Poking to make music... apparently that was a thing...

I totally made that up, but yesterday I found out that apparently there were these things called "Cat Pianos" where cats were arranged by pitch or tone on a musical instrument and poked to produce an intended note... the first mention of it is in the 1500s and one of the Spanish kings was rumored to have owned one (Louis XI is believed to have had a pig version made for him)... technically it is debated as to whether any were actually made, because none of the devices were ever found to have survived over time, and they may have been meant satirically (the pig piano probably was the most real, as it was mentioned by several individuals), but I'm surprised again that one of my random dumb joke may have had a basis in reality.

You should all be deeply disturbed when anything I say has a basis in reality, or even comes close.

Seriously, in a text among some friends, I made a joke about the Giant Hornets and two weeks later they found Murder Hornets on the west coast.

Aside from that, I collected a large number of old TextEdit writings of old nonsense I posted... (actually a lot of it I probably never posted) from back when DAZ had the big forum software change (2012?)... back then the forum used to flake out and it was nearly impossible for me to post anything for like a year, and even two years later it was unpredictable enough that I would write out in TextEdit (I was still a Mac user then) anything I wanted to post and then try and quickly post before the page crashed or froze... (ah, the good old days).

One of these days maybe I'll make my own thread over on the Art Studio forums where I'll post my stupid cartoons, Photoshopped images, and dumb writings... it seems narcissistic though... also pointless... at the beginning of the pandemic I thought about it because maybe some folks might get a few chuckles out of my nonsense and everything was pretty grim back then... not that it's all sunshine and puppies now, but there is so much more stuff out there to cheer ones self up with I hardly think it's worth wasting server space... not to mention previously WIP threads of mine went by virtually unnoticed, so I figured why waste space.

I dunno maybe in a drunken lark I'll do that.

I'm unpredictable that way... to me... totally predictable to others though.

Well... over and out.

* The Cat In The Hat Movie... totally dates that... if it was written today it would definitely be the CATS movie.

• McGyver said:

Peeps?... 

No, not marshmallow Peeps, but the slightly older, live, dyed-in-the-shell, baby chickens that used to be frequently given as presents to young children for Easter who would hugs them and squeeze them and call them George until they were no longer novel, or lost their colored baby feathers, or died from the unsupervised attention.surprise  The survivors of that horrific practice would shortly have legs about the size you showed in your picture.  Perhaps there was an underground business of reclaiming the survivors for the food industry rather than letting them escape into the neighborhood as the cats watched.indecision

edited February 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

McGyver said:

Peeps?... 

No, not marshmallow Peeps, but the slightly older, live, dyed-in-the-shell, baby chickens that used to be frequently given as presents to young children for Easter who would hugs them and squeeze them and call them George until they were no longer novel, or lost their colored baby feathers, or died from the unsupervised attention.surprise  The survivors of that horrific practice would shortly have legs about the size you showed in your picture.  Perhaps there was an underground business of reclaiming the survivors for the food industry rather than letting them escape into the neighborhood as the cats watched.indecision

Yeah, I'm actually familiar with that (also ducklings too, but not dyed) as a child, my mother helped circulate a petition to stop that in the area we lived at the time... she and my aunt used to tell people about how bad that and baby bunnies as gifts were... 

Love the J. Steinbeck/ Looney Tunes reference... I've used that so many times in the past, but nobody ever gets that.

**Note- While I am against baby chicks as gifts, I'm fully for baby Velociraptors (raptorlings?) as Easter gifts.**

been sittin too long, wore out both cheeks, only got 2.   cant get comfy.

lost my padding, too bony

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,550

McGyver said:

I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone remembered that a long time ago I wrote some dumb humor challenged post about Toilet Paper Cartels and then like a years or two later I posted that apparently what I thought was a joke was actually a thing... that actually just one of many incidents, especially over the last four years where (elsewhere not here for obvious reasons) I'd make a "current affairs" related joke that would either turn out to be true or come to pass... 

So when I was in junior high school, or middle school, or whatever they call it now, I used to imagine things happening to myself and others. As those things are even more disturbing than poking animals, I will refrain from saying what they are. But then I read a book called The Religions of Man. And it talked about people actually doing those things to other people. At that point, I concluded that if you can imagine somebody doing something to someone, no matter how unlikely it is, there are probably people somewhere actually doing it. 

edited February 2021

...happy Caturday.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,033

kyoto kid said:

...happy Caturday.

Larson's companion piece (at least they recognize their names).

gurgly noises from my stomach woke me up.  ate a bite of birthday carrot cake a few hours ago.

page 84

The Polar Vortex Complaint Thread
    The WYSINWYG  Complaint Thread
    The Broke Butt Complaint Thread
    The Mouse Ate my Cheese Complaint Thread
    The Cat Poked Me Complaint Thread
    The Boss is too Bossy Complaint Thread

remember grape ape.  magilla gorilla gor ill ill ill la

complaint  william shatner rip hoax,  friend sent me a text will shatner passed away.  felt really awaful for a few minutes.

non-complaint this morning.  fresh pan cooked grape tomato deelish, so much better and healthier than tomato sauce.

what do you put in your ultimate omelette?

is it possible to grow greenbeans in a big flowaer pot?  was checking out kentucky pole beans
    i grew julie tomatoes in a big flower pot last year.   would like to grow greenbeans and strawberries
    all the strawaberries are white and bitter inside, they pick before they ripe.
    and impossible to find fresh uncut greenbeans.  they precut the ends off, the edges browning,yuck.  fresh greebeans yummi crispy snack.  heard the vit B can help the nueropathy in my legs.
    they told me ise leaking protein.  they didnt explain it tho

is there a way for someone with vision problems to safely grate a potato without endangering grating my fingers?

edited February 2021

Mystiarra said:

is there a way for someone with vision problems to safely grate a potato without endangering grating my fingers?

Strap it to a chair and read it Vogon poetry, or tell it terrible jokes.indecision 

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

Strap it to a chair and read it Vogon poetry, or tell it terrible jokes.indecision 

would andrew dice clay limmericks work?
    little boy blue, ayy
    lilltle miss muffet ... ohhh

edited February 2021

Oh a more serious note..., I wonder if blanching a potato would work.  Hmmm...  Boiling water + potato for 1 minute?  Would the skin slide off?enlightened  It certainly works for tomatoes and there's only two letters difference betwen 'potato' and 'tomato'.indecision

Edited to add:  No, I guess not.  On second thought,  I boil potatoes for 25 minutes and the skin only then starts to slide off.  Never mind.sad   Good idea, but the chemistry doesn't work.  I guess those two letters do make a difference.  Who knew?surprise

Perhaps a blast of high pressure super-heated steam?  

A good rub with that gritty part of an Eberhard Faber pencil eraser?

Oh, wait a minute, you wanted to "GRATE" a potato, not skin it.  Nevermind. 

How about a grinding wheel?

How about abrasive gloves?  Just rub the potato between your hands.

Or how about simply wearing tough gloves while you grate?enlightened

mebbe a specialty dalek for grating potatoes

This discussion has been closed.