[Released] dForce Magnet [Commercial]

Comments

• Barbult, Thanks for reminding. I forgot about that file list. David
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

I edited the previous message to ask what version of Daz Studio you are using. Maybe there is a minimum required version. Also, are you using PC or Mac? Maybe that information will give a clue.

• DAZ Studio Ver 4.10 Windows 10 64-bit

4.10.0.123? That is the latest version of 4.10. Every DS update has had dForce improvements, I think. The dForce magnets rely on the dForce Dynamic Surface Add-On feature. If you are not using the latest DS 4.10, maybe your version does not completely support that technology. I have been using DS 4.11.0.236 Beta, but I did try the magnets in DS 4.10.0.123, and they work in that version, too.

• Ok. Thanks. I'll download the latest and install.
  • barbult said:
    barbult said:

I just tried adding a magnet. It let me slide the sliders, but when I clicked accept, Daz Studio crashed to the desktop - no error message and no crash log.

Edit: And now I restarted Daz Studio and the magnet interface crashed to the desktop while moving a slider, just like it used to when I had it installed with Daz Connect. It seems like creating magnets works when the product is first installed, but then the more it is used, the more it crashes.

That makes no sense.  I have sent a debug version to @nicstt.  I have sent the same files to your email address.

Maybe it makes no sense, but it describes what I have experienced. When I first installed it with Daz Connect, it worked fine. Then a day or two later it kept crashing. Suspecting that Daz Connect was at fault, I uninstalled it from Daz Connect and installed with DIM. Again, after just installing, it worked perfectly. Now a couple days later it crashes again. It is just anecdotal evidence; proof of nothing. I thought any clue could be helpful. Maybe some file was getting written to continuously and growing too big over time or something. 

I got your email, and I will try the test version.

Oh, I wasn't complaining about your report.  You have been very helpful.  I just meant that the behavior is very weird.  

• nicstt said:
    barbult said:

I also want to mention, for anyone following the crash discussion: I can still create and use magnets just fine. I just can't adjust the position of the magnet in the dialog. So, I am still happy with this product and am having a lot of fun with it. 

Likewise.

It hasn't put me off the product; it's great. Bug-stomping is not my day job; as a coder, my day-job is creating bug-ridden code. Hope my boss doesn't see this post. cheeky

LOL.  

I am glad it hasn't put you off.  Working with @Barbult, it looks like the crash occurs if the script tries to create too many magnets as you drag around the sliders.  By only creating a magnet when the slider is released, she is not seeing crashes.  However, if she clicks the +/- buttons fast, it can crash.

• Ok. Thanks. I'll download the latest and install.

It should work with 4.10 (that is what I use), though I think Esha told me that one version of DS would have trouble with the universal tool.  Have you tried using the sliders to move the magnet?

• Barbult you are a genius. I installed ver 4.10.0.123 and pForce magnet worked just like Esha's video. Esha!, thankyou, this software is going to be very useful indeed. David
    Barbult you are a genius. I installed ver 4.10.0.123 and pForce magnet worked just like Esha's video. Esha!, thankyou, this software is going to be very useful indeed. David

yes Now you can have some fun!

• eshaesha Posts: 3,230

Awesome!!! laugh

• Barbult you are a genius. I installed ver 4.10.0.123 and pForce magnet worked just like Esha's video. Esha!, thankyou, this software is going to be very useful indeed. David

That is great to hear!

• RainRain Posts: 335

This  has all been useful information, I’m heading home this afternoon so I’ll get to finally try it out.

spuffy said:

This  has all been useful information, I’m heading home this afternoon so I’ll get to finally try it out.

Finally! You must have quite a backlog of new toys to try.
  • RainRain Posts: 335
    barbult said:

barbult said:
    spuffy said:

At least 100 or more products to download, all those Christmas freebies and good deals I couldn’t resist.  And it’s snowing outside so I’m not going anywhere.

• spuffy said:
    barbult said:

barbult said:
    spuffy said:

At least 100 or more products to download, all those Christmas freebies and good deals I couldn’t resist.  And it’s snowing outside so I’m not going anywhere.

LOL. laugh

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Well, I've been trying to reproduce the crash, and I can't.

Neither with the Debug version, or the release version.

I've sent you an example debug output from the debug version.

• nicstt said:

Thanks for looking at it.  

nicstt said:

I hate this; when I'm speaking to clients about issues like this and similar happens, I'm thinking they're an idiot.

I still haven't got it to reproduce.

... So, I'm wondering what I missed as I've obviously been an idiot. blush It happens, has before, will again; hopefully, though, not for the same reason!

• nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

I hate this; when I'm speaking to clients about issues like this and similar happens, I'm thinking they're an idiot.

... So, I'm wondering what I missed as I've obviously been an idiot. blush It happens, has before, will again; hopefully, though, not for the same reason!

No, it is definitely neither your problem nor are you an idiot. smiley My gut feeling is that this is an issue with the user's system and Daz configuration and is probably a combination of things... graphics card with some Daz Studio configuration going wonky or something like that.  Way too many users will have a problem with my scripts and then reinstall DS and things will be fixed.  Something somewhere deep in the Daz configuration gets slightly different and becomes sensitive to how I code my scripts and boom.  I wish I could figure this out and fix it for you. sad

edited February 2019
    nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

No, it is definitely neither your problem nor are you an idiot. smiley My gut feeling is that this is an issue with the user's system and Daz configuration and is probably a combination of things... graphics card with some Daz Studio configuration going wonky or something like that.  Way too many users will have a problem with my scripts and then reinstall DS and things will be fixed.  Something somewhere deep in the Daz configuration gets slightly different and becomes sensitive to how I code my scripts and boom.  I wish I could figure this out and fix it for you. sad

No it is fixed. I can't reproduce the error. I didn't re-install Studio. I didn't change any settings. I haven't let Windows do an update nor have any drivers been installed. The only change is the stallation of a couple of freebies and copy and pasting your debug items.

I'll let you know if it re-occurs.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • nicstt said:
    nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

No it is fixed. I can't reproduce the error. I didn't re-install Studio. I didn't change any settings. I haven't let Windows do an update nor have any drivers been installed. The only change is the stallation of a couple of freebies and copy and pasting your debug items.

I'll let you know if it re-occurs.

Whoops, I meant I wish I could fix it for others smiley

Yes, please let me know if it recurs.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 577

I love this nifty product! I really hope DAZ will add the ability to continue a simulation from where the last one left off or the ability to change the visibility of items in a scene at specific key frames. Either one would be so useful for turning the magnets on and off whenever necessary.

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376
    Quasar said:

I love this nifty product! I really hope DAZ will add the ability to continue a simulation from where the last one left off or the ability to change the visibility of items in a scene at specific key frames. Either one would be so useful for turning the magnets on and off whenever necessary.

Thank you!  I agree.  Unfortunately, I think it is a technical reason.  DS doesn't allow changing ANY dForce properties.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited April 2019

I bought this a couple of days ago and have just got around to trying it. Can't say that I'm very happy with my purchase. I tried a simple drape with Kindred Arts' "Ultimate Duvet" with a magnet lifting one corner away from the mattress. Turns out to be anything but simple. As soon as the magnet was created, DAZ Studio (4.11 October Beta) slowed to a crawl and any movement of the magnet, including the scripts which adjusts the orientation or just moving it with a translate tool causes Windows to start the spinning blue circle and I sit and wait. No crash but practically unuseable.

I have Marvelous Designer and will probably have to export the items to that to achieve what I want to do because doing it in DAZ Studio is proving  to be a nightmare. MD and VWD have real time pinning and dragging while the simulation is active so dForce (and these add-ons) have a long way to go bear comparison. Sure, dForce is free with DS but time and frustration are also costs.

BTW, I have a fairly decent PC with a 1070 GPU and an Intel i7 processor, 32 GB RAM, etc. so I don't think that I'm short of grunt.

Post edited by marble on
    marble said:

I bought this a couple of days ago and have just got around to trying it. Can't say that I'm very happy with my purchase. I tried a simple drape with Kindred Arts' "Ultimate Duvet" with a magnet lifting one corner away from the mattress. Turns out to be anything but simple. As soon as the magnet was created, DAZ Studio (4.11 October Beta) slowed to a crawl and any movement of the magnet, including the scripts which adjusts the orientation or just moving it with a translate tool causes Windows to start the spinning blue circle and I sit and wait. No crash but practically unuseable.

I have Marvelous Designer and will probably have to export the items to that to achieve what I want to do because doing it in DAZ Studio is proving  to be a nightmare. MD and VWD have real time pinning and dragging while the simulation is active so dForce (and these add-ons) have a long way to go bear comparison. Sure, dForce is free with DS but time and frustration are also costs.

BTW, I have a fairly decent PC with a 1070 GPU and an Intel i7 processor, 32 GB RAM, etc. so I don't think that I'm short of grunt.

Hmmm.  I am sorry you are having difficulty.  Are you talking about using the dialog sliders or just moving the magnet as part of the timeline?  Have you tried it on simpler items first?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    marble said:

Hmmm.  I am sorry you are having difficulty.  Are you talking about using the dialog sliders or just moving the magnet as part of the timeline?  Have you tried it on simpler items first?

I am talking about trying to do anything in the viewport as soon as I started the magnet script. Trying the sliders was painfully slow (rotation the magnet, etc.).

As for trying anything more simple, I would have thought that a duvet was pretty simple but granted, it might have a high polygon count. Nevertheless, I bought the magnets for precisely that reason and I can't use it  for that. I'm sure I could prove to myself that it works with a low-poly flat plane but that has limited appeal to me. Clearly this is a shortcoming of the design of dForce rather than your magnets and I'm sure that other people will find a use for it. In the end I was able to achieve what I wanted to do by placing a cylinder primitive in the path of the duvet drape - simple but efferctive.

marble said:
    marble said:

I am talking about trying to do anything in the viewport as soon as I started the magnet script. Trying the sliders was painfully slow (rotation the magnet, etc.).

As for trying anything more simple, I would have thought that a duvet was pretty simple but granted, it might have a high polygon count. Nevertheless, I bought the magnets for precisely that reason and I can't use it  for that. I'm sure I could prove to myself that it works with a low-poly flat plane but that has limited appeal to me. Clearly this is a shortcoming of the design of dForce rather than your magnets and I'm sure that other people will find a use for it. In the end I was able to achieve what I wanted to do by placing a cylinder primitive in the path of the duvet drape - simple but efferctive.

I have definitely used it on higher-poly count items.  I think there is something else going on a few systems.  Unfortunately or fortunately, it does not happen on mine so I have struggled to isolate the cause.  I am sorry the dForce Magnet did not work for you.

I tried the magnets today with DS 4.11.0.335, and they worked fine. The sliders in the interface even worked, but those sliders have been so intermittent for me in the past, I hesitate to even say that. In the past, they would work great one time, and I would think I found the magic, then the next time they would crash DS. So, I just have my fingers crossed now and hope there is some magic in DS 4.11.0.335. Either way, the magnets themselves always have worked as designed and continue to do so for me.

• galiengalien Posts: 136

I also bought this last week and using the interface sliders crashes both the current DS release and the latest Beta (4.11.0.335).  Seems to be ok if I just close the dialog and then use Daz Studio to orient and scale the magnets. .