[Released] dForce Magnet [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376
    barbult said:

I tried the magnets today with DS 4.11.0.335, and they worked fine. The sliders in the interface even worked, but those sliders have been so intermittent for me in the past, I hesitate to even say that. In the past, they would work great one time, and I would think I found the magic, then the next time they would crash DS. So, I just have my fingers crossed now and hope there is some magic in DS 4.11.0.335. Either way, the magnets themselves always have worked as designed and continue to do so for me.

Thanks for the data point.

galien said:

I also bought this last week and using the interface sliders crashes both the current DS release and the latest Beta (4.11.0.335).  Seems to be ok if I just close the dialog and then use Daz Studio to orient and scale the magnets. .

How did you install them?  What were you trying to use the magnets on?

• galiengalien Posts: 136
    barbult said:

I tried the magnets today with DS 4.11.0.335, and they worked fine. The sliders in the interface even worked, but those sliders have been so intermittent for me in the past, I hesitate to even say that. In the past, they would work great one time, and I would think I found the magic, then the next time they would crash DS. So, I just have my fingers crossed now and hope there is some magic in DS 4.11.0.335. Either way, the magnets themselves always have worked as designed and continue to do so for me.

galien said:

I also bought this last week and using the interface sliders crashes both the current DS release and the latest Beta (4.11.0.335).  Seems to be ok if I just close the dialog and then use Daz Studio to orient and scale the magnets. .

I installed using DIM.  I tried using the magnets on a low resolution plane, a dforce clothing item fitted to a character and a dforce clothing item loaded into the scene on it's own.  So each time I tried it, there were only one or two items in the scene.

In each case, moving the orientation sliders caused DS to crash.  Sometimes it crashed the first time I moved a slider.  Other times, I was able to move it 6 or 7 times before it crashed.  Most times, DS quit to the desktop  without any error messages.  On one occasion, an access violation error message was displayed.  This is the same behaviour that others have reported in this thread, but I wanted to point out that the problem is not fixed in the latest beta.

This shouldn't be a big issue.  As far as I can see, using the sliders is optional.  If I just click on "Accept" to close the script dialog, the magnets can subsequently be scaled and rotated using the DS parameters tab.  It does, however, create a bad first impression when using the product.  On the positive side, I think that this is one of the best documented products in the Daz store - esha's video's are excellent.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    galien said:
    barbult said:

galien said:

I installed using DIM.  I tried using the magnets on a low resolution plane, a dforce clothing item fitted to a character and a dforce clothing item loaded into the scene on it's own.  So each time I tried it, there were only one or two items in the scene.

In each case, moving the orientation sliders caused DS to crash.  Sometimes it crashed the first time I moved a slider.  Other times, I was able to move it 6 or 7 times before it crashed.  Most times, DS quit to the desktop  without any error messages.  On one occasion, an access violation error message was displayed.  This is the same behaviour that others have reported in this thread, but I wanted to point out that the problem is not fixed in the latest beta.

This shouldn't be a big issue.  As far as I can see, using the sliders is optional.  If I just click on "Accept" to close the script dialog, the magnets can subsequently be scaled and rotated using the DS parameters tab.  It does, however, create a bad first impression when using the product.  On the positive side, I think that this is one of the best documented products in the Daz store - esha's video's are excellent.

Yup, after success with the sliders yesterday, they crash DS 4.11.0.335 for me today. So, it is the same old story of intermittent behavior for me. No magic in the latest beta. Rats.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I know it is no consolation to anyone but I suspect that particular PC configurations seem to have curious effects on simulation software. I spent months trying to get VWD to work without crashing and couldn't - even with some really sustained help from the developer. He ended up refunding my purchase (I'm not looking for a refund for these dForce Magnets - I'm hoping the problems will be fixed). So my PC seems to be particularly sensitive to cloth sim software. MD8, on the other hand, has so far worked without a glitch so perhaps I need to concentrate on how to best utilise that in my workflow.

galien said:
    barbult said:

galien said:

I am really sorry though.  I hate providing anything with bugs and you shouldn't have to go through issues.  I certainly will not be offended if you return it.

galien said:
    barbult said:

galien said:

barbult said:
    galien said:
    barbult said:

galien said:

Yup, after success with the sliders yesterday, they crash DS 4.11.0.335 for me today. So, it is the same old story of intermittent behavior for me. No magic in the latest beta. Rats.

marble said:

I know it is no consolation to anyone but I suspect that particular PC configurations seem to have curious effects on simulation software. I spent months trying to get VWD to work without crashing and couldn't - even with some really sustained help from the developer. He ended up refunding my purchase (I'm not looking for a refund for these dForce Magnets - I'm hoping the problems will be fixed). So my PC seems to be particularly sensitive to cloth sim software. MD8, on the other hand, has so far worked without a glitch so perhaps I need to concentrate on how to best utilise that in my workflow.

You three make me feel that it must PC configurations somehow.  Is the HD that has your page file full or close to it?  Is DS running alone or are there other applications in the background?

My pagefile and OS are on an SSD. It has quite a bit of free space. I generally have Outlook and Chrome open when running DS to set up a scene. I might also have GPU-Z running some of the time. EVGA PrecisionX 16 is running. I have Avira security software running in the background. I have Synology Cloud Station and DropBox running in the background, along with gobs of other processes, like any Windows 10 PC.

galien said:
    barbult said:

You three make me feel that it must PC configurations somehow.  Is the HD that has your page file full or close to it?  Is DS running alone or are there other applications in the background?

I have plenty of disk space, plenty of RAM (32GB) and I always run DS with nothing else running (other than occasionally a web browser or file system browser). Nothing that would take serious system resources. Dforce runs quite quickly in normal operation, it only slowed to a crawl when I added a magnet. The only other thing that slows my DS Viewport interaction in IRay in interactive mode. For that reason I always use Texture Shaded (OpenGL). Oh, and my system disk is an SSD so pretty quick.

barbult said:

My pagefile and OS are on an SSD. It has quite a bit of free space. I generally have Outlook and Chrome open when running DS to set up a scene. I might also have GPU-Z running some of the time. EVGA PrecisionX 16 is running. I have Avira security software running in the background. I have Synology Cloud Station and DropBox running in the background, along with gobs of other processes, like any Windows 10 PC.

Hmm.   It doesn't sound like the applicaitons are a problem.  Are the Daz temp folders on the SSD?

marble said:
    galien said:
    barbult said:

I have plenty of disk space, plenty of RAM (32GB) and I always run DS with nothing else running (other than occasionally a web browser or file system browser). Nothing that would take serious system resources. Dforce runs quite quickly in normal operation, it only slowed to a crawl when I added a magnet. The only other thing that slows my DS Viewport interaction in IRay in interactive mode. For that reason I always use Texture Shaded (OpenGL). Oh, and my system disk is an SSD so pretty quick.

Same thing as @Barbult then.  I don't know what it could be.  I apologize for the inconvenience.  I don't know how to fix it sad

My Daz Studio temp files and DSON cache are on the SSD. I also have 32 GB of RAM. My graphics card is GTX980 Ti.

marble said:
    galien said:
    barbult said:

Same thing as @Barbult then.  I don't know what it could be.  I apologize for the inconvenience.  I don't know how to fix it sad

The one thing is, if any of you ever reinstall Daz Studio from scratch on the same machine, I would be curious to hear if it still acts up.  I have had one person who had their problems magically get fixed once Daz was reinstalled.  I never recommend it as it is a huge thing to do, but if you ever do it for some other reason, please let us know.

marble said:
    galien said:
    barbult said:

The one thing is, if any of you ever reinstall Daz Studio from scratch on the same machine, I would be curious to hear if it still acts up.  I have had one person who had their problems magically get fixed once Daz was reinstalled.  I never recommend it as it is a huge thing to do, but if you ever do it for some other reason, please let us know.

When I had the problems with VWD (which were never overcome), I did reinstall DAZ Studio - not the content though (nightmare). Made no difference. I'd conclude that my PC has issues with simulation software but, as I said, Marvelous Designer works beautifully. So I'm more inclined to worry more about the DAZ Studio Viewport. I've had other issues with this including mouse control (pointer jumping and sometimes disappearing, selection glitches), fibre hair causing it to slow drastically, incredibly slow when using IRay preview and so on. I've commented in the DAZ Studio Beta thread and have added a few Tech Support reports but, alas, the viewport is my source of frustration.

marble said:
    marble said:
    galien said:
    barbult said:

When I had the problems with VWD (which were never overcome), I did reinstall DAZ Studio - not the content though (nightmare). Made no difference. I'd conclude that my PC has issues with simulation software but, as I said, Marvelous Designer works beautifully. So I'm more inclined to worry more about the DAZ Studio Viewport. I've had other issues with this including mouse control (pointer jumping and sometimes disappearing, selection glitches), fibre hair causing it to slow drastically, incredibly slow when using IRay preview and so on. I've commented in the DAZ Studio Beta thread and have added a few Tech Support reports but, alas, the viewport is my source of frustration.

Ok, that is good to know.  Not what I want to hear, but good to know smiley  Thanks.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

(I'm pretty sure I have the last update, whichever one it may be.)

Although I love the concept of the magnets, I've been too busy to really play with them, but I'm working on a scene now using the Dark Storm Outfit that comes in the G3 Starter Essentials. and those "sleeves" are are not conducive to any sort of action pose! dForcing them doesn't work as well as it should because they have a bend modeled in. So I'm using magnets to control the drape of one sleeve, (along with multi-poly planes to help stop them from twisting into a weird mess.)

I gave up on my first try with the magnets, I had three on the cape and four on just one sleeve. I wasn't getting anything usable with the sleeve and deleted all the magnets to start over, and then realized I could have left those on the cape. Oops.

I finally got something I could accept, with two magnets on the sleeve and two magnets on the cape.

Through it all, not a single crash of DS. I credit this thread for the ease of using the magnets. Because of comments in here, I knew to just load each magnet without using the sliders in the script. I used the Universal Tool to move the magnets into place, and to change the locations on the timeline to control the movement. And I learned a lot from the videos, which I watched when they were posted, (and really should watch again.)

And I did everything in the 4.12.0.33 beta. Not sure if that made any difference, but thought I'd mention it.

I know it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, so I just wanted to say, "Thank you," again. For me, the magnets are just as useful today as when they were released.

L'Adair said:

(I'm pretty sure I have the last update, whichever one it may be.)

Although I love the concept of the magnets, I've been too busy to really play with them, but I'm working on a scene now using the Dark Storm Outfit that comes in the G3 Starter Essentials. and those "sleeves" are are not conducive to any sort of action pose! dForcing them doesn't work as well as it should because they have a bend modeled in. So I'm using magnets to control the drape of one sleeve, (along with multi-poly planes to help stop them from twisting into a weird mess.)

I gave up on my first try with the magnets, I had three on the cape and four on just one sleeve. I wasn't getting anything usable with the sleeve and deleted all the magnets to start over, and then realized I could have left those on the cape. Oops.

I finally got something I could accept, with two magnets on the sleeve and two magnets on the cape.

Through it all, not a single crash of DS. I credit this thread for the ease of using the magnets. Because of comments in here, I knew to just load each magnet without using the sliders in the script. I used the Universal Tool to move the magnets into place, and to change the locations on the timeline to control the movement. And I learned a lot from the videos, which I watched when they were posted, (and really should watch again.)

And I did everything in the 4.12.0.33 beta. Not sure if that made any difference, but thought I'd mention it.

I know it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, so I just wanted to say, "Thank you," again. For me, the magnets are just as useful today as when they were released.

That is so nice to here!  Thank you for taking the time to write smiley

• doorknob22doorknob22 Posts: 52
    edited November 2019

Hi Guys!

I just purchased and installed the magnet but unfortunately, when I run the script the "diamond" shape is not created. I get the dialog and in the Scene pane I can see "dForce Magnet" but since the dimaond thingy is not created I can't drag anything.

Any idea what might be the source for this problem?

============================================================

Update: the "diamond" was created only very far away from the material. Not sure why.

Post edited by doorknob22 on

Hi Guys!

I just purchased and installed the magnet but unfortunately, when I run the script the "diamond" shape is not created. I get the dialog and in the Scene pane I can see "dForce Magnet" but since the dimaond thingy is not created I can't drag anything.

Any idea what might be the source for this problem?

============================================================

Update: the "diamond" was created only very far away from the material. Not sure why.

@doorknob22, The diamond thingy, (the magnet! lol) usually loads very close to the selected vertex. (There should only be one selected.) Also, you should be at Frame 0 and the figure should be in the base pose. I was just testing this, and discovered, (or rediscovered,) that the magnet was applied to the object where it should have been had the figure not already been posed. (I was testing this with a scene I'm currently working on…)

If you're applying the magnet when the figure is already posed, that would explain the magnet not being close to the selected Vertex. (If you can't see it at all, it may be "inside" an object. Select the magnet in the Scene Tab, and then click on the "+" icon in the upper right corner of the viewport. That will focus the view on the magnet so that rotating will keep the magnet in the center of the viewport. You can then zoom in or out to get a better view. You may need hide something to see the magnet, but once you find it, you can use the Universal Tool to rotate it out of what's hiding it, and into view. (Then unhide anything you needed to hide to find the magnet, of course.)

I hope this helps.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,230

Yes, as L'Adair said, it's best to create the magnet when the figure is in zero pose and at 0-0-0 coordinates.

• Joe827Joe827 Posts: 225

Hi.  Is there a setting that allows a user to make the magnet less stretchy (more rigid)?

You could try to use the dForce surface adjuster on the magnet's material and make it stiffer/less stretchy.
    But I've noticed that it tends to get crashy with stiffer settings so that's why we didn't set it up more rigid by default. I just pull up the magnet higher that it needs to go, to compensate for the offset caused by the stretchiness.

• If stiffness ciases the simulation to crash try increasing the number of subframes, or iterations per subframe - stiffer fabric takes longer to distribute the spring energy in the simulation, too little time for that and it builds up catastrophically.

Yes that's true, more frames usually make much more stable simulations yes

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401

Is there a way increase the power of a magnet? I often have to add several magnets to get enough "pull"

• Joe827Joe827 Posts: 225
    Mendoman said:

Is there a way increase the power of a magnet? I often have to add several magnets to get enough "pull"

My question is similar to Mendoman's.  I see the magnet stretch a lot and not pull very much.

esha said:

You could try to use the dForce surface adjuster on the magnet's material and make it stiffer/less stretchy.

Thank you esha.  I will try it out.

If stiffness ciases the simulation to crash try increasing the number of subframes, or iterations per subframe - stiffer fabric takes longer to distribute the spring energy in the simulation, too little time for that and it builds up catastrophically.

Thank you Richard.  That's a very good explanation.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    esha said:
    zpearce08 said:

the magnet is loading in like a half a screen away from the fabric.

The magnet uses the vertex location of the base mesh in default state. When you have a morph applied, a transformation or anything else that changes the object's appearance the Magnet will load with an offset. I recommend creating the magnet before you move or morph anything.

To use the magnet on a morphed dress, for example with a morph that widens the skirt, have the dress in default shape in frame 0, create the magnet there, and then apply the morph in frame 1 and move the magnet to fit the vertex's position.

I struggle with that restriction regullary. Is there no option to use the morphed mesh for the magnet position?

gerster said:
    esha said:
    zpearce08 said:

the magnet is loading in like a half a screen away from the fabric.

The magnet uses the vertex location of the base mesh in default state. When you have a morph applied, a transformation or anything else that changes the object's appearance the Magnet will load with an offset. I recommend creating the magnet before you move or morph anything.

To use the magnet on a morphed dress, for example with a morph that widens the skirt, have the dress in default shape in frame 0, create the magnet there, and then apply the morph in frame 1 and move the magnet to fit the vertex's position.

I struggle with that restriction regullary. Is there no option to use the morphed mesh for the magnet position?

Not right now.

• QuantDQuantD Posts: 0
    nicstt said:

No, happened before the update, as well as since.

Like barbult, no info in the logs; Studio just closes, not even the option to send back crash info to Daz.

It is to do with changing size orientation of the 'gizmo'; it seems to only happen/ or happen much, much more likely once a second has been added to the scene (same dforce item).

Edit:

Happens in release and beta versions.

Thank you for the information.  I wish I could reproduce this so I could fix it. sad 

1. It crashes with the Size slider only for you?
    2. Is it when you reduce or increase the size?
    3. Does it happen with relatively empty scenes or complex scenes?
    4. Does it happen with a certain type of dForce object?

Update 2020: Dforce magnets are still an issue for me. If I add a second magnet to the same dforce item and change the gizmo orientation .. Daz will crash and close (no crash logs). Sometimes while I change the orientation of the gizmo .. but for sure if I press the accept button.

I use Daz Version 4.12.0.84 pro (64bit) on a Windows10 system. 32 GByte memory, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and a Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER. DForce magnets are such a good tool but I cannot use it like this ... @RiverSoftArt: please advice .. thanks.

nicstt said:

Like barbult, no info in the logs; Studio just closes, not even the option to send back crash info to Daz.

It is to do with changing size orientation of the 'gizmo'; it seems to only happen/ or happen much, much more likely once a second has been added to the scene (same dforce item).

Edit:

Thank you for the information.  I wish I could reproduce this so I could fix it. sad 

Update 2020: Dforce magnets are still an issue for me. If I add a second magnet to the same dforce item and change the gizmo orientation .. Daz will crash and close (no crash logs). Sometimes while I change the orientation of the gizmo .. but for sure if I press the accept button.

I use Daz Version 4.12.0.84 pro (64bit) on a Windows10 system. 32 GByte memory, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and a Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER. DForce magnets are such a good tool but I cannot use it like this ... @RiverSoftArt: please advice .. thanks.

Are you using the script dialog to "change the gizmo orientation"? I recommend not doing it that way. I just create the magnet and close the dialog. If i need to translate or rotate the magnet, I select it with the Universal Tool and put it where I need it. I've had 6 or more magnets on one object without causing DS to crash.

L'Adair said:
    nicstt said:

Edit:

Are you using the script dialog to "change the gizmo orientation"? I recommend not doing it that way. I just create the magnet and close the dialog. If i need to translate or rotate the magnet, I select it with the Universal Tool and put it where I need it. I've had 6 or more magnets on one object without causing DS to crash.

As @L'Adiar mentions, unfortunately, this is a known issue.  I am trying to track down why changing the gizmo orientation causes a crash.  Please use her workaround.