[Released] dForce Magnet [Commercial]

Comments

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

barbult said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Hemi426 said:

Have these issues ever been resolved? I am looking for a tool like set.

I must sincerely apologize.  I went to look and the latest update was never submitted to Daz.  blush  I just submitted it right now.  This update (v1.3) fixes

• Fixed error in dFM User Guide Video.dsa where it would not work from Smart Content pane
    • Added sVersionNum constant and display in dialog 
    • Fixed slider error where remembering last slider value would give incorrect results the next time dForce Magnet was used

Will you please ask Daz to add this information to the online readme file?

They did not angry, as usual. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

barbult said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Hemi426 said:

I must sincerely apologize.  I went to look and the latest update was never submitted to Daz.  blush  I just submitted it right now.  This update (v1.3) fixes

• Fixed error in dFM User Guide Video.dsa where it would not work from Smart Content pane
    • Fixed slider error where remembering last slider value would give incorrect results the next time dForce Magnet was used

I know; that's why I made this request. I think for PA items, PAs have to supply the information. Daz wouldn't know what RiverSoftArt and esha modified unless they  tell them. 

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376

barbult said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

barbult said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Hemi426 said:

I know; that's why I made this request. I think for PA items, PAs have to supply the information. Daz wouldn't know what RiverSoftArt and esha modified unless they  tell them. 

I did supply the information and they are supposed to add it to the readme.  I will put in a request to fix it.

RiverSoftArt said:

barbult said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

barbult said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Hemi426 said:

I did supply the information and they are supposed to add it to the readme.  I will put in a request to fix it.

Thank you!

• Hemi426Hemi426 Posts: 210

I bought it today. I have some questions.

My script shows Version 1.3. Is this the latest? I install all my products manually. How do I see if there's an update?

When I create the magnet according to the manual, the tip is bit offset from the selected vertex. Is this a problem?

When I execute the dforce Magnet Script, it always creates two magnets. Is this intended?

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Version number is 1.3.  The only way I know if there is an update is it shows up in DIM.  The Readme onsite should show updates also but thats not always the case. 

I can't help you with the other two mine load right in the center as far as I can tell and it doesn't create two magnets (not even if I select more than one vertices).

Hemi426 said:

My script shows Version 1.3. Is this the latest? I install all my products manually. How do I see if there's an update?

When I create the magnet according to the manual, the tip is bit offset from the selected vertex. Is this a problem?

When I execute the dforce Magnet Script, it always creates two magnets. Is this intended?

@Daventaki (thanks!) answered most of them.  For the 2 magnets, it is definitely not intended.  What are your steps?  Can you post the log?

RiverSoftArt said:

Hemi426 said:

@Daventaki (thanks!) answered most of them.  For the 2 magnets, it is definitely not intended.  What are your steps?  Can you post the log?

I had a problem with multiple magnets getting created back in May 2020. It was intermittent and I never figured out what caused it.

edited August 2021

It seems that when the script is executed for the first time, it creates two magnets. When I delete both and execute again, it creates only one. The magnets now seem to be positioned right over the vertice (as intended/expected). What can I do when the magnets do not reach the intended final position when simulating but are offset? I will try to create screenshots and post a clean log next time.

Here are the steps (from my memory):
    - start with clean scene
    - frame 0: add G8F
    - change total frames to 60
    - go to frame 60
    - apply pose to G8F
    - go to frame 0
    - load dforce compatible cloth (fiona dress)
    - select dress
    - switch to geometry editor, pick a vertice
    - execute script "create Magnet"

Post edited by Hemi426 on

Hemi426 said:

It seems that when the script is executed for the first time, it creates two magnets. When I delete both and execute again, it creates only one. The magnets now seem to be positioned right over the vertice (as intended/expected). What can I do when the magnets do not reach the intended final position when simulating but are offset? I will try to create screenshots and post a clean log next time.

Here are the steps (from my memory):
    - start with clean scene
    - frame 0: add G8F
    - change total frames to 60
    - go to frame 60
    - apply pose to G8F
    - go to frame 0
    - load dforce compatible cloth (fiona dress)
    - select dress
    - switch to geometry editor, pick a vertice
    - execute script "create Magnet"

I am unsure what the steps are trying to reproduce?  I neither see 2 magnets nor a magnet not reach its intended position (this later would be a Daz Studio bug, not a dForce Magnet bug)

edited August 2021

RiverSoftArt said:

I am unsure what the steps are trying to reproduce?  I neither see 2 magnets nor a magnet not reach its intended position (this later would be a Daz Studio bug, not a dForce Magnet bug)

You are right, I could not reproduce the effect of creating 2 magnets with 1 execution of the script. Maybe it was me...but I have attached two screenshots of the other effect I described. The pic expectedposition.jpg shows where I hoped the cloth would end after 61 frames.  Simresult.jpg show the result after running the simulation. It looks as if the magnets markers itself have deformed during simulation.

simresult.jpg
    3840 x 1560 - 724K
    expectedposition.jpg
    3840 x 1560 - 668K
  • eshaesha Posts: 3,230

Hemi426 said:

It looks as if the magnets markers itself have deformed during simulation.

Yes, that can happen. The dress you are using has a dense mesh, that means a lot of "weight". You could try several things:

• Adjust the position of the magnets.
    • Lower the density of the dress fabric (in the surface settings).
    • Select the magnet, go to the surface settings and use the dForce Surface Adjuster to reduce the stretch.

esha said:

Hemi426 said:

It looks as if the magnets markers itself have deformed during simulation.

Yes, that can happen. The dress you are using has a dense mesh, that means a lot of "weight". You could try several things:

• Adjust the position of the magnets.
    • Lower the density of the dress fabric (in the surface settings).
    • Select the magnet, go to the surface settings and use the dForce Surface Adjuster to reduce the stretch.
    Thank you! I tried your hints and adjusting the position of the magnets worked best in that case.
    edited August 2021

Another issue:

I selected the vertice of the dress (yellow dot) and executed the script. It placed the magnet way off. Any idea what might be causing this?

2021-08-08 11:27:20.194 Loading script: C:/Users/xxxxx/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Scripts/RiverSoft Art/dForce Magnet/dFM dForce Magnet.dse
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.197 DEBUG: Found: C:/Users/xxxxx/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSConstants.dsa
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.198 DEBUG: Found: C:/Users/xxxxx/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSMagnetConstants.dsa
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.200 DEBUG: Found: C:/Users/xxxxx/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSBuildPanels.dsa
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.201 DEBUG: Found: C:/Users/xxxxx/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSMagnetFunctions.dse
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.253 DEBUG: Starting creation of dForce Magnet
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.253 DEBUG: Selected vertex of Fiona Dress G8_61317 is [4.33743,81.0297,15.6735]
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.275 DEBUG: CreateMagnetAndMove(oParentNode, sName, sTitle, nGraftPoint, nOrigin, nDirection, nSize, isFinal, undoable)
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.275 DEBUG: [object Object] dForce Magnet Create dForce Magnet [4.33743,81.0297,15.6735] [-14.4928,71.8191,3.24856] [0,0,0] 10 false false
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.275 DEBUG: Creating the dForce Magnet
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.338 DEBUG: Created Magnet 3D object [object Object]
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.338 DEBUG: dForce Magnet
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.338 DEBUG: Setting the dForce Magnet visibility so it can be animated
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.338 DEBUG: Adding Magnet to Scene
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.339 DEBUG: Adding Magnet to Parent
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.339 DEBUG: is this final creation? false
    2021-08-08 11:27:20.339 DEBUG: dForce Magnet creation is complete
    2021-08-08 11:31:54.084 Script executed successfully: C:/Users/xxxxx/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Scripts/RiverSoft Art/dForce Magnet/dFM dForce Magnet.dse
    pinplacement.jpg
    2123 x 1194 - 604K
    edited August 2021

Hemi426 said:

Another issue:

I selected the vertice of the dress (yellow dot) and executed the script. It placed the magnet way off. Any idea what might be causing this?

There could be several reasons for this. The magnet attaches itself to the vertex's position of the default shape. If it shows an offset that means the current shape is not quite identical with the base shape. It might be caused by a morph, or the dress has already been simulated, or it's the SubD that has softened the folds and moved the vertex away from its original position. Seeing that you have SubD on the dress I'm leaning towards the 3rd possibility but it might also be one of the others, or a combination.

Post edited by esha on
  • esha said:

Hemi426 said:

Another issue:

There could be several reasons for this. The magnet attaches itself to the vertex's position of the default shape. If it shows an offset that means the current shape is not quite identical with the base shape. It might be caused by a morph, or the dress has already been simulated, or it's the SubD that has softened the folds and moved the vertex away from its original position. Seeing that you have SubD on the dress I'm leaning towards the 3rd possibility but it might also be one of the others, or a combination.

I had this problem with two different garments. I set up a pose then intended to use the magnet to drag the garmet to the right place. I was able to move the magnet to the general area of the vertex and it mostly worked. I was setting it up with a different garment, hoping it might work more as intended and it did not. When I loaded the magnet, it was way off again. I didn't bother doing the work around I came up with. After an hour of messing around with it, I needed a break.

But is it accurate to say that the magnet needs to be used in a fully default state? And then you would set it up with the pose as it goes? That seems like a lot of work to play with the time line so intensely. But great results require that I suppose.

edited September 2021

The magnet uses the default shape to determine where it is created. You can then adjust it to any pose or morph.

Yes, it is a bit fiddly, but AFAIK there's no better method. I wish the dForce engine worked like the Marvelous Designer simulation, where you can simply pick up the fabric with your mouse and drag it around during the sim, but that's a different technology and we have to work with what we've got :)

That said, I found that it doesn't always need to be 100% precise. If the first test run shows that the magnet or the fabric stretch, just position it a bit further up to compensate, maybe rotate the figure's hand by a few degrees, and it will look fine.

Post edited by esha on
  • dustinmeyer1234dustinmeyer1234 Posts: 120
    edited June 2022

I am still confused on this product I am NOT doing animation I have a posed figure and need to move the physis of how the skirt falls but all I see is for animation so I have no idea if my setup is right and it not working. when I select the vert and then add the magnet and its in some random location not at the point I selected. what do I do the simuilation doesnt work plus I need the skirt to simulate as it resting on other object.

Post edited by dustinmeyer1234 on

Of course you can use the dForce Magnet also for still renders, by rendering just one frame of the animation (usually the last one).
    But you will need to set up an animation so the software can calculate the draping.

Did you follow the tutorials and the steps in the user guide?
    You said "the simulation doesnt work", could you please be more specific about that? What exactly doesn't work?

• Even if you don't do realistic animations, some kind of movement in time is likely to be needed to get the best results from dForce.

• alot of the tutorials where for character movement not just to setup a single frame, after much investaging my main issues where as follows. you have to setup a timeline from t pose or netural pose to the pose you wanted the problem then lies with me is I am trying to simulate a lot of different things and having the constant animation is annoying to time. for instance I wanted to use the a fulid simulator ontop of my character and use that as a object to interact with but sense it in a animation time line if I parent it to other object or mark as a group the whole scene started to move. when I delete the starter keyframes I want ot be able to make the last keyframe the first keyframe but everything start to fall apart. even after ungroup and deleting key frames some how objects in my scene where still moving. I was hopeing to use a method where fine if I need to some animation to get the simulation to work right I can do that but if I need to do other things for like simulation or other kinds of clothing and hair having parts of the timeline allready keyframed makes things more compleicated.

• While starting from a zeroed pose will likely give you the best results as far as animating something into a properly draped still frame, it's not necessary. If you've already set up your scene at frame zero and worked on it, the only thing you really need to animate is the magnet's movement, which you can set at frame zero and then simulate over a few frames (15 usually can do the trick, with about 5 frames without motion to let the drape "rest"). Just freeze the simulation on anything you already have up to your standards, and you won't need to bother redoing anything, even if you may want to change your approach the next time you decide you have some use for the tool.

Yeah, I admit that the timeline has some quirks and can give you grey hairs sometimes. But that is a separate issue and has nothing to do with the dForce Magnet.

• esha said:

Yeah, I admit that the timeline has some quirks and can give you grey hairs sometimes. But that is a separate issue and has nothing to do with the dForce Magnet.

well deforce magnets work pretty much with just the time line so yes and no  

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    edited October 2022

I'm not sure if this might have been adressed in this context before, I tried to combine the magnets with a wind node but they don't seem to play nicely together which is a pity. might be I don't have the setting smoothes out, I will try around a bit more but if one of you have a quick tio on that , I would appreciate very much

Screenshot 2022-10-20 15.43.32.png
    1678 x 969 - 290K
    Post edited by Linwelly on

oh, I had the initialisation time too low, it's much better with a bit more time there

• You deleted the attachment and now the inline image isn't showing - you will see the cached copy, newcomers won't have that.

Richard Haseltine said:

You deleted the attachment and now the inline image isn't showing - you will see the cached copy, newcomers won't have that.

Thanks Richard, I will load it again, was a weird glitch were the attachment showed still up in the second post I made so I removed it there, seems that was the wrong thing to do

Linwelly said:

oh, I had the initialisation time too low, it's much better with a bit more time there

I played with magnets and wind a long time ago, but not recently. It worked OK back then, so I think you'll get it worked out.

• The magnets actually pin one or more points, so the wind node's extra energy in the system might well cause an explosion. usually theya re safe as they largely folow the path the simulation would take anyway, so there isn't the same fighting.