My phone will not charge complaint thread

Comments

• OK, I've bitten the bullet and started my move into the 2nd decade of the 21st century.  I've bought an only slightly outdated smart phone.  Ended up ordering a Samsung J3 Luna Pro (only one camera, so selfies are out.)  for $45 from TracFone.   Unfortunately my monthly cost has doubled to $15 instead of $7+   but I'll see if I can adapt to this technology.  If I'm lucky it may even have better receive capability and let me actually use it from my house.

PS: "Selfies"  Bah, humbug.  Mobile archival narcissism.angry

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Bad kittehs with glowie eyes. Naughty kittehs

think might be another segal

Mystarra said:

taking a brain brake to watch grindelwalds

sure hoping they dont use reverse everything to back before it happened again.

A brain brake is something to slow the brain down.  Brain break is what happens if the brain doesn't slow down by taking a brain break.surprise Don't you just love English?frown

Oh dear. Faux pas is a double negative

replies in iphone imposseebleh

cant tell if faux pas is a double

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited September 2019
    Mystarra said:
    Mystarra said:

taking a brain brake to watch grindelwalds

sure hoping they dont use reverse everything to back before it happened again.

A brain brake is something to slow the brain down.  Brain break is what happens if the brain doesn't slow down by taking a brain break.surprise Don't you just love English?frown

Oh dear. Faux pas is a double negative

replies in iphone imposseebleh

cant tell if faux pas is a double

Ah yes,  French.indecision  The language where only half the letters are sounded.  Almost as bad as English that has borrowed half its words from French and mangled them in the way that only English can.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,170

Just stopping in quickly to say Hi.  I wanted to let everyone know I survived Dorian fine.  All that happened was some difficulty sleeping.  I am doing okay.

Good to know!

Dana

• I had some longwings here and a few other varieties as well.  And massive bumblebees with yellow racing stripes too.

We used to have Monarchs here when I was a kid but I haven't seen a real butterfly around here for nearly 50 years.  Moths, yes, bees, yes, wasp, hornets, mosquitoes, ladybugs, yes.  But no butterflies.  Perhaps I need to get out into the fields more often.  But there is still hope, I recently saw a toad in the yard for the first time in 10 years.  And this summer I regularly see rabbits and a woodchuck in the yard outside my kitchen window.yes

Here's the deal:  Almost all caterpillars have only one or two types of plant that they can feed on.  They're not as advanced as you and I, who can just select spinach for our salad when there's no more leaf lettuce available.

Even some renters can attract butterflies by planting the plants that the caterpillars need, and then by also planting some nectar plants for the butterflies.  If you have a balcony or a small backyard patio that gets some sun, you can plant some things and the butterflies will come.

How do I know?  Momma butterflies can "smell" their host plants as far as 100 miles away.  Males on the hunt can smell the females as far as 100 miles away.  Provide some healthy plants, even in pots, and you'll get the butterflies, really.  They're smarter and tougher than humans give them credit for!  laugh

Mystarra said:

Some strange compulsion made me start to organize and relabel all the renders, scenes, and scene subsets I have spread across three computers. I don't want to admit how long I've been at it and I'm not even done.

If nothing else I'll at least clean out some boring/bad stuff and I'll have backups and I'll have a brand new file naming convention that I'll immediate toss because who can keep track of all this?

a nice usb3 2tb hdd.  just plug it into which puter you using atmo  USB3.oheart

is better than LAN, cuz you don't need the other puters to be on.

need at least 2 of em if rendering to avi files.

the next progression is something like a SAN  or NAS can plug multiple drives in it.

a lot of aggravation with buying a drive more than 2 gbs.  a nightmare really.

You can go the NAS route but it can be very expensive, especially once you add in the cost of additional memory and enough hard drives to get both mirroring and striping.  I've done this, and it's worth it.  But it is VERY time consuming and very expensive.

For those who are price or time sensitive, you may be better off using a portable USB SSD...not a thumb drive, no.  A full blown SSD.  The form factors are getting smaller and so are the prices.

Just stopping in quickly to say Hi.  I wanted to let everyone know I survived Dorian fine.  All that happened was some difficulty sleeping.  I am doing okay.

The post-hurricane stress is a real thing for some folks.  Take the time and be good to yourself.

Welcome back.  No leaky roof or tree in the living room?

Are leaky trees a new thing that I haven't heard about?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    McGyver said:

Apparently last night someone was watching the “Science Channel”, because when I turned on the TV this morning that is what channel it was on... I was treated to (as one is “treated” to bee stings or bad bowl cramps) a program call “Strange Evidence”... It’s a program that erases any hope fro the future of mankind... not for tales of a great calamity, but because the fact that it is on TV just goes to show how stupid, averse to critical thinking and learning people have become.

The show consists of a narrator (who I hope gets a really persistent skin rash on his tender bits) insinuating that various videos of ordinary events are either supernatural monsters, aliens or otherwise unexplainable... for example, they took a video of a low floating helium Mylar balloon gliding along the ground and insinuated it was some sort of space jellyfish looking for victims to feast on... various “experts” whom I suspect are not very highly regarded in their chosen fields, are called upon to comment on the videos... they mostly go out of their way to make whatever it is sound terrifying or mysterious... one lady outright lied about her interpretation when she claimed the space jellyfish was struck by a truck when it was clear that the truck passed by at least two or three hundred feet in the background, nowhere near the balloon. The show also seems to have a few actual experts from other shows, who are apparently tricked into commenting, because their statements seem to be very general and almost off topic... as though they were asked a question that had nothing to do with the video or subject.

I watched one and a half episodes and it’s really disturbing that anyone would sign off on a program like this... it’s deliberately deceptive and misinforming... People are getting dumber every day, we don’t need crap like this accelerating the process or worse yet making kids dumb too.

Shows like that need huge disclaimers that they have nothing to do with reality or science.

Grumblegrumphgrrrmuffmurrgrumblegrrr.... Okay... done... that’s all.

..yeah, a lot of these once decent, educational, and informative networks have degenerated into little more than tabloid television.  Part of the reason why I am glad I no longer have a telly. 

Mystarra said:

his king attitude a bit on the insufferable side

i vaguely remember a movie bout The Madness of King George.  They didn't call it King George III

...and to think years later, he played a transvestite in The Magic Christian

..hi. Leela says hi as well.

Mystarra said:
    Mystarra said:

i vaguely remember a movie bout The Madness of King George.  They didn't call it King George III

Strangely enough it was called "The Madness of King George". surprise https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110428/

I found it to be a good movie.  Maybe not exactly historically accurate but an interesting story and good acting, costumes, etc.  

The actor playing King George was the guy who played Sir Humphrey Applebee in "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister".  (excellent TV shows for thinking people!!! yes)

i remember yes minister

was in the friday night line up with waiting for god and keeping up appearances,
    absolutely fab,
    all topped by are you being served

...I loved all of those programmes, Particularly Waiting for God and Yes Minister (followed by Yes, Prime Minister).

TheKD said:

I am in a hurricane, the wind is being too loud lol. Trying to watch a blender tutorial over here, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hurricanes and tornadoes are nature's blenders.

....but, Will Those Blend?

edited September 2019

I had some longwings here and a few other varieties as well.  And massive bumblebees with yellow racing stripes too.

We used to have Monarchs here when I was a kid but I haven't seen a real butterfly around here for nearly 50 years.  Moths, yes, bees, yes, wasp, hornets, mosquitoes, ladybugs, yes.  But no butterflies.  Perhaps I need to get out into the fields more often.  But there is still hope, I recently saw a toad in the yard for the first time in 10 years.  And this summer I regularly see rabbits and a woodchuck in the yard outside my kitchen window.yes

Here's the deal:  Almost all caterpillars have only one or two types of plant that they can feed on.  They're not as advanced as you and I, who can just select spinach for our salad when there's no more leaf lettuce available.

Even some renters can attract butterflies by planting the plants that the caterpillars need, and then by also planting some nectar plants for the butterflies.  If you have a balcony or a small backyard patio that gets some sun, you can plant some things and the butterflies will come.

How do I know?  Momma butterflies can "smell" their host plants as far as 100 miles away.  Males on the hunt can smell the females as far as 100 miles away.  Provide some healthy plants, even in pots, and you'll get the butterflies, really.  They're smarter and tougher than humans give them credit for!  laugh

Mystarra said:

Some strange compulsion made me start to organize and relabel all the renders, scenes, and scene subsets I have spread across three computers. I don't want to admit how long I've been at it and I'm not even done.

If nothing else I'll at least clean out some boring/bad stuff and I'll have backups and I'll have a brand new file naming convention that I'll immediate toss because who can keep track of all this?

a nice usb3 2tb hdd.  just plug it into which puter you using atmo  USB3.oheart

is better than LAN, cuz you don't need the other puters to be on.

need at least 2 of em if rendering to avi files.

the next progression is something like a SAN  or NAS can plug multiple drives in it.

a lot of aggravation with buying a drive more than 2 gbs.  a nightmare really.

You can go the NAS route but it can be very expensive, especially once you add in the cost of additional memory and enough hard drives to get both mirroring and striping.  I've done this, and it's worth it.  But it is VERY time consuming and very expensive.

For those who are price or time sensitive, you may be better off using a portable USB SSD...not a thumb drive, no.  A full blown SSD.  The form factors are getting smaller and so are the prices.

The post-hurricane stress is a real thing for some folks.  Take the time and be good to yourself.

Are leaky trees a new thing that I haven't heard about?

While I admit that roofs are not technically "in" a living room, leaky trees are not a new thing. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/trees-drip-lot-sap-22380.htmlcheeky  But a leek in a boat is truly scary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbNvPoumEVU

edited September 2019
    kyoto kid said:
    TheKD said:

I am in a hurricane, the wind is being too loud lol. Trying to watch a blender tutorial over here, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hurricane Charlie (Florida 2004) was a small diameter category-4 hurricane that behaved like a 5 mile wide tornado.  Ripped a tight narrow path of destruction 5+  miles wide from Ft. Myers to Orlando.  I drove along and through the destroyed area several times for the next couple of years.  Amazing!  Trees and buildings down like a giant lawn mower had descended on the area, racing northeastward toward Orlando.  Near the tiny cowboy town of Zolfo Springs I particularly remember one of those "AirStream" shiney smooth rounded stainless steel mobile home trailers that had a deep giant "U" shaped dent nearly bisecting it across its mid-section that was laying out in the middle of a cow pasture a quarter mile from the road.  The rumor is that Charlie came ashore near Ft. Myers and devoured a truckload of  "Monster" cafeine drinks and spun himself into a tight ball of destruction like the Warner Brother's Tasmanian Devil. surprise https://www.google.com/search?q=images+hurricane+charley+destruction&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQzIrSl8HkAhUtZN8KHfD3BsUQsAR6BAgDEAE&biw=1920&bih=937

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

My red dog is too hot complaint.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Gratuitous cute.

• on the topic of USB hard drives: I forgot how slow my 1 TB USB 2.0 hard drive is.  I am copying Linux ISO from the USB hard drive to a SATA drive at 22 megabytes per second.  I might move all off my large files from the USB hard drive to the SATA drive.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904
    McGyver said:

I was treated to (as one is “treated” to bee stings or bad bowl cramps) a program call “Strange Evidence”... It’s a program that erases any hope fro the future of mankind... not for tales of a great calamity, but because the fact that it is on TV just goes to show how stupid, averse to critical thinking and learning people have become.

Without any intentions of starting any kind of political or religious discussion that might get me mod-clubbed upside the head... I, personally, feel that programs looking into unexplained - and currently unexplainable - phenomenons actually do have their place on sciencey channels. The main problem is the ass-end quality of many of them. Even if something seems "paranormal" or "supernatural" we shouldn't just write it off as ghost stories, and think that because science cannot prove it yet it cannot possibly exist. To me, that's the opposite of thinking critically. A lot of modern technology, like wireless signals, would be seen as "not of this world" a couple of centuries ago. We can't see those signals, but they're there. You're receiving them via your internet connection right now. Who can tell if there aren't other types of signals and energies floating all around us, that we haven't discovered the right type of receiver for yet.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

Not back full time yet.  The only leak in the ceiling was already there before the storm.  One that has not been fixed yet I fear.

Tjohn said:

Good to hear. smiley

Thanks.  I am glad I am doing well too.

Mystarra said:

Complaint my time at computer is almost over, but non-complaint is that I was able to be at a computer for a bit.

overlords?

I am only on this computer for the weekend.  Long story short, I am trying to spend time without a computer for a bit.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited September 2019

Messed up... fixing post... please stand by

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104
    DanaTA said:

Good to know!

Dana

Right now I am doing videos for work and just checking in at same time.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,170
    kyoto kid said:
    TheKD said:

They actually do blend.  A major hurricane will often spawn several tornadoes.  I can't imagine being in one of those!  Aggggghhhhhh!

Dana

• i forgot it was friday so didn't take the garbage out...

Couldn't put mine out due to high wind conditions.

Non-compliant: Dorian's eye just passed over Cape Hatters (I am a little less than 50 miles to the north) so we about halfway thrrough the storm and so far we have power and only minor damage. Now hoping the soundside flooding we get on the backside doesn't get too bad.

@ Mcgyver: I guess the shipment of Norwegian pineapples must have arrived on tme because the storm has fizziled down from catagory  3 or (or high 2) down to a wimpy catagory 1

I spoke too soon. We got hit pretty hard on the backside of the storm. We lost power and internet for two days and I'm just now getting back online. However, thankfully, we didn't get any major damage just a lot of branches and pine cones all over the yard. Also thankfully no major soundside flooding  The people on Ockracoke and Hatteras just to the south of us didn't far nearly as well; so, I'm definitely not complaining.

same old complaints for today

same old song and daaance

in aerosmith mode.

i think is nearly 40 years since i saw RUSH moving pictures concert tour. i was in high school but cant remember which year exactly
    they like change the timing in middle of a song.  freaky

Tjohn said:

My red dog is too hot complaint.

buppyheart

looks like he(R) saying something,  hard to be sure, but looks like a complaint 

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321
    McGyver said:

Apparently last night someone was watching the “Science Channel”, because when I turned on the TV this morning that is what channel it was on... I was treated to (as one is “treated” to bee stings or bad bowl cramps) a program call “Strange Evidence”... It’s a program that erases any hope fro the future of mankind... not for tales of a great calamity, but because the fact that it is on TV just goes to show how stupid, averse to critical thinking and learning people have become.

The show consists of a narrator (who I hope gets a really persistent skin rash on his tender bits) insinuating that various videos of ordinary events are either supernatural monsters, aliens or otherwise unexplainable... for example, they took a video of a low floating helium Mylar balloon gliding along the ground and insinuated it was some sort of space jellyfish looking for victims to feast on... various “experts” whom I suspect are not very highly regarded in their chosen fields, are called upon to comment on the videos... they mostly go out of their way to make whatever it is sound terrifying or mysterious... one lady outright lied about her interpretation when she claimed the space jellyfish was struck by a truck when it was clear that the truck passed by at least two or three hundred feet in the background, nowhere near the balloon. The show also seems to have a few actual experts from other shows, who are apparently tricked into commenting, because their statements seem to be very general and almost off topic... as though they were asked a question that had nothing to do with the video or subject.

I watched one and a half episodes and it’s really disturbing that anyone would sign off on a program like this... it’s deliberately deceptive and misinforming... People are getting dumber every day, we don’t need crap like this accelerating the process or worse yet making kids dumb too.

Shows like that need huge disclaimers that they have nothing to do with reality or science.

Grumblegrumphgrrrmuffmurrgrumblegrrr.... Okay... done... that’s all.

I used to listen to Art Bell when I was driving cross-country. My "Yeah, nope" moment came when he had a supposedly retired submarine officer on the show describing a panic incident on a Trident, complete with "Pounding of feet down the corridors", "Clattering of teletypes", even repeatedly calling the submarine a "ship".
    I've never served in the navy, but even a ground pounder like me knows how wrong those are. He might have been an Annapolis graduate, though.

• AdreanAdrean Posts: 135

Normally I don't complain that muc but I've been waiting for a decent dress blue uniform for Genesis males for years yet time and time again my anticipation is turned into disappointment (for not getting it). Well at least we've got some nice police uniforms now which is like my only consolation.

edited September 2019

...yeah many of what used to be decent educational channels have pretty much all gone "tabloid" or air (un)reality programming.

I still miss programmes Discovery Wings and WIngs of the Red Star.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited September 2019

I just realized I wrote bowl instead of bowel... or spellcheck changed it on me... since the last iOS update there are some weird prefered spellings...  I still want to know why (spellcheck prefers “Whynniard”) spellcheck insists on “Becca” over any any word starting with “bec”... who or what the hell is a “Becca” that it’s being referred to more than a common word like “because”.

Post edited by McGyver on
    kyoto kid said:

...yeah many of what used to be decent educational channels have pretty much all gone "tabloid" or air (un)reality programming.

I still miss programmes Discovery Wings and WIngs of the Red Star.

Tabloid would be a step up for some of the shows.

• Why must I want so much stuff? Grumble...

And apparently my premium membership to a site that I publish naughty stories on is running out... I didn't even know I had a premium membership. But I really need to get my tush in gear and finish some stories...

And why when I tell recruiters how much I was making at my old job do they suddenly seem to lose interest in the conversation?

And... I want to have one of my models hang upside down with long hair... And not look like her hair is full of glue.

This discussion has been closed.