• Mystarra said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius

doesn't say what breed of snake it is 

Perhaps it's an Ophidian?

STNGsnakeOphidian.jpg
    800 x 566 - 160K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited September 2019

Non-complaint:  Wheee...,  My hard drive problem turned out to be an unplugged firewire cable. blush  Sometime in the last few months I apparently had yanked on the bundle of cables that go into the back of my computer and the FW cable had come undone and slipped down out of sight behind the unreachable table and the connector was hidden in the cable bundle where it meets the tie that holds the bundle together, so I saw no obvious loose cable until I got on my hands and knees and crawled under the table and traced the FW cable to the end buried in the center of the cable bunch.frown  It takes a lot to get me on my hands & knees anymore.  The ground is just sooo far away.sad  Then I had to get up off the ground and twist my neck ways that it doesn't go to see behind the computer to find the place where the FW cable plugs into.  Exhausting.  I think I need a drink.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2019
    Mystarra said:

Actually it does Misty if you read down.

"In honor of Asclepius, a particular type of non-venomous snake was often used in healing rituals, and these snakes – the Aesculapian snakes"

Post edited by Chohole on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    Mystarra said:

Complainnnt. Came all the way ti sputino for an irish coffee and dessert

they out of the stuff to make irish coffee. What kind of restaurant is this?

i afraid to see how muxh a bottle of jamieson is. 

...29.95$ here in Portland OR.  You can get it cheaper on the Net.

edited September 2019

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., I've made another step into the 21st century.  I finally broke down and bought a new external hard drive.  4TB.smiley  I almost bought two but the budget monster roared at me.frown  Now perhaps I can retire the three 320GB drives, and the 160GB drive.  Or replace them with a chip or thumb drive. laugh  But by adding the 4TB to my other two 2TB external drives I can now do complete proper backups.  Delivery expected Tuesday.  

Next step... New computer. indecision  

• complaint: random people with no work posted who feel i'm interested in a critique of my work.

secondary complaint: the passive aggressive critique. example: "Great image, but I would have preferred..." gosh... i'll make note of that for when i start to cater to your desires.

angry

from my experience it is only men that do this.

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., I've made another step into the 21st century.  I finally broke down and bought a new external hard drive.  4TB.smiley  I almost bought two but the budget monster roared at me.frown  Now perhaps I can retire the three 320GB drives, and the 160GB drive.  Or replace them with a chip or thumb drive. laugh  But by adding the 4TB to my other two 2TB external drives I can now do complete proper backups.  Delivery expected Tuesday.  

...what kind?.  Also, these he bare drives or fully  enclosed.  Haven't been able to find a good 4 TB for under 100$ that doesn't ship from someplace halfway around the world. 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172

complaint: random people with no work posted who feel i'm interested in a critique of my work.

secondary complaint: the passive aggressive critique. example: "Great image, but I would have preferred..." gosh... i'll make note of that for when i start to cater to your desires.

angry

Not my experience.

Dana

• DanaTA said:

complaint: random people with no work posted who feel i'm interested in a critique of my work.

angry

Not my experience.

Dana

That's good!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Chohole said:
    Mystarra said:

Actually it does Misty if you read down.

"In honor of Asclepius, a particular type of non-venomous snake was often used in healing rituals, and these snakes – the Aesculapian snakes"

thanks   was wpmdering if it was a mythical snake.  so it is real

edited September 2019
    kyoto kid said:

...what kind?.  Also, these he bare drives or fully  enclosed.  Haven't been able to find a good 4 TB for under 100$ that doesn't ship from someplace halfway around the world. 

This kind: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQQHL4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

I've been watching hard drives for a while.   Yeah, one can get them cheaper but somehow that makes me queasy.  And even this one can be gotten for $12 less if you buy a refurbished one (says so right on the catalog page).  I've tried to be smart about getting bang for buck but there always seems to be too many variables so I just made up my mind tonight that I was going to bite at something and this is what I bit.  Determined to not regret it.   Time will tell, and it has a 3 year manufacturer's warranty.  And "no" I didn't buy the "data recovery warranty" option that was offered when I put the drive in my shopping cart.  I'll just trust the mfg's warranty. 

Also had to buy the USB cable because I don't have any of that type.  I also purchased a 4 port USB 3.0 card so I can get rid of my rats nest of USB hubs keeping all my external devices fed.

Shipping is quick because I bought from Amazon and I have "Amazon Prime" so I get free 2-day shipping.

And "yes" I actually wanted a full size drive, not a portable drive.  Call me old fashioned. 

• complaint: random people with no work posted who feel i'm interested in a critique of my work.

angry

Hahaha that's a strange thing to say!

Oh, btw, I visited your gallery...great stuff but I would have preferred some male renders...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:
    Mystarra said:

Complainnnt. Came all the way ti sputino for an irish coffee and dessert

they out of the stuff to make irish coffee. What kind of restaurant is this?

i afraid to see how muxh a bottle of jamieson is. 

...29.95$ here in Portland OR.  You can get it cheaper on the Net.

was more than i wanted to spend, dohh

32  is a dollar equal to a quid?

centimeters are totally meaningless to me. blush wingspan of dragonfly 7 cm. see. no help at all.
    is like the dashes on my insulin.  meaningless units of measure

• Etrigan said:

Why must I want so much stuff? Grumble...

And why when I tell recruiters how much I was making at my old job do they suddenly seem to lose interest in the conversation?

Depending in which State you reside, asking you your previous wage has become illegal. A typical response like: I'd rather not say, at this point in the conversation. but, if the salary range is within my requirements I can be negotiable." would be appropriate and at least get you to an interview where you could shine.  Recruiters are hired to get the best talent for the least payout. If it's any condolence, you're previous salary likely meets/exceeds the upper range of the job's pay range. 

Recruiters are NOT hired to get the best talent for the least payout.  If your place is doing that, then they're probably struggling in all sorts of ways just to keep the lights on.

Our recruiters NEVER ask prior salary.  If you are offered a job at my company, salary is never even discussed.  If an interviewee brings it up, he or she is told that salary is determined based on company standards, skill level of the job, and geographic location.  And it is.  If the interviewee does not bring it up, then it is flat out NEVER DISCUSSED.  If you get an offer, then you'll get an offer letter from HR, and the salary is printed in there and it is based on the job, the level of expertise of the job, and the geographic location.  The hiring manager actually has ZERO input into salary decisions.  This keeps us competitive.

Non-complaint:  I've had an old computer that I'd set aside many many moons ago because it started going flakey on me.  I couldn't get it to finish a Windows10 upgrade.  Tried over and over but the display would freakout partway through the update.  I figured it was the video card.  I didn't need the computer so I just abandoned it.  It's a half decent machine (dual core, 8GB, 3TB).  

For the last couple weeks I've found myself upgrading and doing minor repairs on relative's computers so, when I finished the latest one and set it aside to be picked up I looked around for another computer to fix and remembered my old dual-core machine.  I opened it up, reseated all the memory and cards and plugs.  Hooked it up to monitor, keyboard, mouse & LAN and turned it on.  Ran the boot level diagnostic package.  No problems.  So I booted up, logged in as Administrator and initiated a Win10 upgrade.  It was way behind because of being on the shelf for so long so it took all day to get through.  No problems!  Yay! yes  Re-installed and re-licensed my NortonSecurity and ran a full scan.  No problems.  Re-installed and ran  MalwareBytes.  No Problems.  Maybe it's fixed?frown

Not entirely happy that it's fixed because I was thinking of replacing the motherboard with something more modern and start building a better DAZ machine.  Perhaps I'll just spring for a new chassis and build an entirely new machine.  Maybe not.  Still sort of watching my budget despite not having car expenses anymore.

Norton Security has frequently been the cause of problems.  I recommend just turning on the Windows antivirus.  It's free and has never borked Windows on me.  Malwarebytes is fine, I have that too.

Mystarra said:

at day job, i should do something work related. ... after my starbucks walk. no windows, cant tell if is raining.  ine one of those rooms in the middle of the building, like an old timey computer room, back when an ibm 36 or older, took up a chunk of real estate.

yep.  i remember the old tandy.  was qbasic

my 1st DOS version was 3.3  no edit, it was copycon   oh myyy copy con

my head starting to swim with 9 11 memories.  too many conversations like people saying where they were.  i was working around the corner from united nations.  30 blocks from ground zed.  i never been to the memorial. every day for many days was a hearse on the LIE.  i remember the price gouging. a bottle of water at the delis who stayed open was 5 bux a little bottle poland spring.  i didn't even grudge them the price, was too grateful they were open.
    i need something stronger than a latté

I kept the media mostly turned off all week.  And I worked from home so as to avoid 9/11 discussions.

i overslept again.

i didn't get a sales email this morning but really it is ok. i spent too much already and have less than zero interest in the main deal.

it looks like this week's freebie is something i already got as a freebie.

i need to figure out how to improve the textures on some of the sets i have. they aren't good for anything close up.

what's for breakfast?

Scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast.  Still deciding on hashed browns or grits.

Mystarra said:
    Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Tjohn said:

Chem Lab I worked in had a Trash-80. I wrote a few basic apps for it. surprise I so old...

...I still wrote programmes for a Burroughs B6700 using what today are considered dead languages, but I know LG has me beat.

Used both card punches, and Decwriter terminals (like the one on the left - crikey, what a waste of paper). The only one with a CRT was the Sysop.  .

You win. smileyyes

Yeah, but your's was bigger'n mine. surprise

blast from the past.  lol  remember the ones looked like a washing machine?  lifting the disks out

back ups on reel tape, the special cabinet to store the reels?

We had the IBM 3330 disk drives at my first employer.  Though we never had to pull the HDAs.  I think they were permanent by the time that the 3330s and 3350s came along.  The 3380s were kind of scary looking.  Big 7-foot tall cabinets, with the HDA (Head/Disk Assembly) oriented with the spindle parallel with the floor.

Mystarra said:

watching the memorials coverage in the break room on news12

never thought about it before is a thought that deserves a few sobs,
    they mentioned the thousands of cars sitting months at train stations,
    cuz the commuters whom never came back for them
    next thought was the pets home waiting for their hooman companions
    oh mann i need somethin strong to drink
    stress and sobs messes up my gastro encabulator system

That's a big reason I worked from home last week.

kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:

Non-complaint:  Yay!  I found my headphone replacement earpad set.  It was in the drawer I'd looked in twice before. frown  Probably just out of phase and had slid into the "Phantom Zone" for a while.indecision

'Nother non-complaint:  Yay!  My new smart phone (Samsung J3 "Luna Pro") has arrived.  Now charging battery.  Finally joining the mid-2nd decade of the 21st century.  Phone tech is 2 years old so it's already enfeebled but I hope it will suffice.  The price (~$50) was right.yes  I cannot for the life of me understand paying significant fractions of a thousand dollars for a freakin' phone just for the latest fad bait.surprise

I know.  My sister has the latest iPhone.  What a waste.  Maybe it's not the latest, but it was when she got it.  I read an article about the latest one.  It was touted as the best one yet.  But, tests in an independent lab showed that it was actually slower than the previous model!!!

Dana

...I remember when the iPhone 6 came out and there was the issue with it bending.

That was fake news.  I had one of the first iPhone 6-Plus phones.  I cracked the screen once.  But it never bent.

kyoto kid said:
    Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Tjohn said:

Chem Lab I worked in had a Trash-80. I wrote a few basic apps for it. surprise I so old...

...I still wrote programmes for a Burroughs B6700 using what today are considered dead languages, but I know LG has me beat.

Used both card punches, and Decwriter terminals (like the one on the left - crikey, what a waste of paper). The only one with a CRT was the Sysop.  .

You win. smileyyes

Yeah, but yours was bigger'n mine. surprise

...but isn't yours older? 

Well, it was around the mid-'70s.  I had two machines.  The oldest was a Raytheon 706.  The Computer History Museum lists the manual for the 706 as being published in 1969.  The other computer was also a Raytheon but they'd reorganized as Raytheon Data Systems so it was an RDS-500

The 706 had 16K words of actual core memory (16-bit words).  And the RDS-500 had 32K words of core memory (16-bit words)  The newer (about 1975) RDS-500 had floating point arithmetic and came with disk drives but the older 706 had no floating point features and had no native hard drive.  It had 7-track mag tape (yes, 7-track, and only 200 characters per inchsurprise), a high speed paper tape reader, a snail speed paper tape punch, a card reader, a line printer and an ASR-33 teletype.  I had to write floating point routines for the CPU.  As well as drivers for the hard drive (when we got one) and a driver for the Gould electrostatic graphic printer and the Tektronics storage screen graphic display device. 

The first year or so of programming on the 706 was a bitch because we had to read the FORTRAN compiler from paper tape, read the source code from the card reader, write intermediate compilation data to the magtape, punch out papertape assembly code (at 10 characters per second), then read in the papertape assembly code (thankfully the papertape reader was high speed) for assembly into binary executable code to be punched out as binary to paper tape, then read the papertape binaries and all necessary subroutine binary papertapes into memory for execution.  If lucky I could get through 3 or 4 FORTRAN complilations per day. frown I hated code that borked, it would waste a whole day to fix three errors.angry

The RDS-500 that we got a year or two later was soooo nice, it had a proper disk drive that was used by the FORTRAN compiler and assembler.  Yay!  Yet, neither one had any sort of network capability.  I wanted to synchronize activities between the two machines so I dug out the schematics found some programmable signals on the backplane wirewrap board, devised a serial connection between the two machines and created my own serial protocol for data and event transmission.  By the end of 5 years of development on those ancient machines we were creating topology maps sent to other buildings on the space center and creating video animations of electric field intensity topology maps over the space center grounds during thunderstorms.  Remember, this was about 45 years ago and we had squat for memory.  One had to be creative with one's algorithms and economical with one's code.cool

The 706 was strictly single process at a time computing.  The RDS-500 had a multi-process operating system, but I was one of of the few users in the country who actually used its multi-process features and pushed them to their max and found some problems with it.  I ended up reading the entire source code for the OS, flowcharting it, and discovering where the multi-process separations could be violated.  I devised a patch to fix it and sent it in.  They were very appreciative.  

Note:  The old 7-track mag tape drive data density was so sparse that we could place a clear disk shaped capsule of magnetic fluid on the tape and actually see the individual bits written to the tape.surprise

Fortran is still very popular.  I think Microsoft even has a compliler available for Windows.

Chohole said:
    Mystarra said:

the old 386 or 486sx was hurtin without a math co-processor

if you had a 486dx2/66 you were really cooking.

Aye   my 486dx2/66  went on for years and years, served me, served my Son when I bought my first pentium, served his children when he upgraded, lost track of it after that as he split up with the mother of his older children but left them with the 486 to play with.

So he got even with them, huh?  cheeky

Petercat said:

Non-complaint:  Yay!  I found my headphone replacement earpad set.  It was in the drawer I'd looked in twice before. frown  Probably just out of phase and had slid into the "Phantom Zone" for a while.indecision

'Nother non-complaint:  Yay!  My new smart phone (Samsung J3 "Luna Pro") has arrived.  Now charging battery.  Finally joining the mid-2nd decade of the 21st century.  Phone tech is 2 years old so it's already enfeebled but I hope it will suffice.  The price (~$50) was right.yes  I cannot for the life of me understand paying significant fractions of a thousand dollars for a freakin' phone just for the latest fad bait.surprise

I think cell phones have replaced motorcycles as an integral part of the teenage mating ritual.

I never even wanted a "donorcycle".

Oooh noooo.... And I'm going camping!

A tent collapsing on your head is less bad than a house collapsing on your head.

Waitaminute.  Since when did that become a choice?  surprise

A tent collapsing on your head is less bad than a house collapsing on your head.

Awkward... I read that as "a horse collapsing on your head". My clever response was all geared to the probability of running into a random horse versus a random axe murderer. But houses... those things are everywhere! *cue scary music*

Okay, I'm pretty sure that's not a problem.  Except maybe if you have a house made of mud during a mudslide.

Just don't pitch tent too close the little creek on the flood plain. enlightened

i'm too girlie for tents. i need a toilet that flushes and a hot tub. i think i've escallated the camping idea to a late summer/early fall weekend get away. cabin, castle, or hotel... mmmhmmm...

Castle.  Come on, why would you NOT choose castle?  laugh

TigerAnne said:

i'm too girlie for tents. i need a toilet that flushes and a hot tub. i think i've escallated the camping idea to a late summer/early fall weekend get away. cabin, castle, or hotel...

That's too bad. In a tent you would be relatively safe from axe murderers, because of the extremely small chance they'd actually find you. Axe murderers don't just roam around the woods, looking in random places for victims. They stay around cabins, because they know sooner or later someone will rent it again. Remote mountain lodges are also known to turn random people into axe murderers. The only safe option sounds like a castle.

And if you do go into the woods, make sure that you and all your companions are attached to each other with rope, even when just walking on a path. A lot of people vanish into thin air every year, when the people they're hiking with lose sight of them for as short a time as a second. They're never found!!! And if they are, it's hundreds of miles from where they disappeared, months or years later, and they look just like they did at the moment of their disappearance. Oh, and they're dead, like just recently deceased. Sometimes the bodies are still warm, despite lying in the snow. Usually they'll be missing socks and shoes. I've read about this on Reddit, so I know it's true!!! No one knows what's causing this to happen, but the most popular theories are time-gates and Sashquatch. You have about a 2000% better chance of being killed by a Bigfoot than by a bear. And the most important thing to remember when you go into any place that has trees: If you see random staircases in the woods, you have to pretend you haven't noticed them, and stay as far away as possible. If the path passes by near them, turn back and go hiking another day. Or never again, because that's even safer.

Have a jolly weekend, and enjoy your trip to the great outdoors! laugh

I've decided: we're staying home an playing Yatze.

Yatze in a castle would have been AWESOME.  Really, you passed up a castle!  frowncheeky

DanaTA said:

@LG, be careful of apps you download.  Some of them will try to get a lot of info from you.  Some have a lot of ads in them that you can't get rid of.  It should say in the description "Contains ads", so you're not completely surprised by it.  And remember to turn off location information if you don't want every app to know where you are.  

Dana

The worst is apps that push the subscription model on us.  Hate is a strong word, but I do hate those.  angry

Non-complaint:  Wheee...,  My hard drive problem turned out to be an unplugged firewire cable. blush  Sometime in the last few months I apparently had yanked on the bundle of cables that go into the back of my computer and the FW cable had come undone and slipped down out of sight behind the unreachable table and the connector was hidden in the cable bundle where it meets the tie that holds the bundle together, so I saw no obvious loose cable until I got on my hands and knees and crawled under the table and traced the FW cable to the end buried in the center of the cable bunch.frown  It takes a lot to get me on my hands & knees anymore.  The ground is just sooo far away.sad  Then I had to get up off the ground and twist my neck ways that it doesn't go to see behind the computer to find the place where the FW cable plugs into.  Exhausting.  I think I need a drink.devil

Okay, so first off...you were just taking literary liberty with all that talk about being scared of losing a hard drive, right?  Please say yes or I'll have to enlarge the fonts in my signature even more.  sad

With backups, KEEP IT SIMPLE.  Don't be making things overcomplicated.  Use the 4TB as one backup drive, and buy two more in the next month.

THEN you can go ahead and start thinking about modernizing your disk architecture.

I've done this for years.  Always budget for and buy the backup drives FIRST.  :)

angry

Both genders do it, I assure you.  And they should.  Offer advice and observations, I mean.

"I would have preferred..." may or may not be "passive-aggressive", as you suggest.

I think that for many, it may be merely a verbal attempt on the part of the writer to offer advice without sounding confrontational.  It's a softening of the words, which in some ways is kind.  In other ways, it can come off as self-serving or bossy.  It is what it is.

If I get a phrase like that (might not even be art-related), I ignore the actual words chosen and instead I try to focus on the advice itself.  Just because the language might rub my feathers the wrong way, that doesn't mean that the advice was given maliciously.  Nor does it mean that it's automatically without merit.  Quite to the contrary, it might be VERY valuable.  For example:

"I would have preferred..."

"...that your hero character weren't wearing high heeled sandals with her battle armor."  That's pretty good advice, I would think.  If I ever did that, I would hope that SOMEBODY would tell me to just stop it!

"...that this wasn't your 56th image of a woman with a 36 triple-D bust in a skimpy bikini."  Hah, that wouldn't happen with me, 'cause I'm a leg man anyhow.  But still...it would be kind to tell me that I may be sliding off the road, right?  The prefix, "I would have preferred" is just a throwaway, but the observation has a lot of merit.

"...that your subject have some light."  I don't think YOUR images are too dark, Gina; at least not the ones I've seen.  But this is a bugaboo for me with a lot of artists' work.  With the exception of some striking high-contrast sillouettes and light-and-shadow images, I find dark, low contrast images to be way too hard to see and even harder to understand.  And yet the gallery is full of them.  And these forums are full of avatars with a dark head-shaped thing in a dark thumbnail.  If you're making it hard on your viewer, then what do you expect?  Yes, I will speak up about this.  "Your image is too dark for me to understand it."  Direct.  I like that, and it's not because I'm a man. 

"I would have preferred" might be attached to it, but surely would not have invalidated the actual advice (which the artist could choose to accept or reject).  It's because I genuinely want to be able to see and understand your art better, and if I can't see it, then I'm sure there will be many others struggling the same way.  The difference is, for every one of me, you'll have 9+ other people just move past your image without offering any observations at all.

"...that your hero, supposedly a good guy, wasn't sweeping other people in the image with the muzzle of his firearm.  And he has his finger on the trigger!"  I am a stickler for good guys learning and practicing safe firearm handling.  And because I'm extremely knowledge and safety minded, I feel strongly that this should apply in our art and media too.  Being a man has nothing to do with that.  My sister would have it out with your character for having his/her finger on the trigger too.  Go sis!  cheeky

There are others.  For example, a background image creating confusion with the foreground subject.  A color issue creating confusion with the foreground subject.  Inappropriate/awkward cropping of the image that creates confusion with the foreground subject.  An odd pose or angle of head, face, or body to the light source or camera...yes, creating confusion with the foreground subject.

I don't have time to go look at galleries very often these days, and even less time to post my own work.   But I've been a photographer and have developed some small amount of skill in images.  And I care.  It has nothing to do with me being a man.  And just because I don't have a lot of art posted, that doesn't mean that I'm a hypocrite.  I can still see what is good composition.  And I can still speak up when an image is confusing to my eye, or when an image is just not serving the subject.  Why wouldn't I try to help if I can?  The artist can still reject my suggestions if they're kooky or just plain wrong.

Maybe you don't want or need comments at all (in which case, maybe this entire post is unwelcome).  But if it would help, maybe in some galleries you can turn comments off?  If they're turned off, then you won't have to deal with the phrasing.  You'd also be giving up the opportunity to get valuable input on your skills, but you're smart enought to already be aware of that and what it means.  If you can't turn off comments, then maybe in your image description, just say something like "No comments, please", or maybe "Comments are not desired and will not be read or responded to".  That might get your point across.

edited September 2019
    kyoto kid said:

This kind: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQQHL4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

I've been watching hard drives for a while.   Yeah, one can get them cheaper but somehow that makes me queasy.  And even this one can be gotten for $12 less if you buy a refurbished one (says so right on the catalog page).  I've tried to be smart about getting bang for buck but there always seems to be too many variables so I just made up my mind tonight that I was going to bite at something and this is what I bit.  Determined to not regret it.   Time will tell, and it has a 3 year manufacturer's warranty.  And "no" I didn't buy the "data recovery warranty" option that was offered when I put the drive in my shopping cart.  I'll just trust the mfg's warranty. 

Also had to buy the USB cable because I don't have any of that type.  I also purchased a 4 port USB 3.0 card so I can get rid of my rats nest of USB hubs keeping all my external devices fed.

Shipping is quick because I bought from Amazon and I have "Amazon Prime" so I get free 2-day shipping.

And "yes" I actually wanted a full size drive, not a portable drive.  Call me old fashioned. 

..thanks.  Yeah, Newegg has the same model available at the same price.

From reviews I read it apparently only uses passive instead of active cooling as there were a number of comments that it would run hot. I take it these are from people who likely used it as a secondary system drive rather than backup one. Another regular issue noted was that if it was already connected it interfered with system boot up. I would just like to set it up up to do scheduled backups for both machines. dividing the drive in two 2TB partitions.

The situation is I already have an extra fan cooled enclosure for a full size drive, however, the bare drives to put into it seem to cost more.  

When it comes to storage (particularly for backups), I would only buy new.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:

...I remember when the iPhone 6 came out and there was the issue with it bending.

That was fake news.  I had one of the first iPhone 6-Plus phones.  I cracked the screen once.  But it never bent.

....worked for Sprint (which sold the iPhone 6 when they first came out) it was an issue.

angry

Oh, btw, I visited your gallery...great stuff but I would have preferred some male renders...

LOL... I'm a gal that likes the ladies... That and I've not found a male character I like... AND working with dudes would require stuff for them and that would take away from the stuff for the ladies and... I need to set up a GoFundMe for my DS habits... *twitches in corner*

edited September 2019

Non-complaint:  Sitting here having morning coffee and reading DAZ forums.  Computer radio is playing one of the few operatic arias that I like.  It's usually performed as a vocal and it brings tears to my eyes every time.  However, this version is just the orchestra.  Beautiful in any form.yes

It comes from the Puccini opera "Madama Butterfly".

Giacomo Puccini: "Un Bel Di Vedremo"(Instrumental)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVn0m_NCpGk

Giacomo Puccini: "Un Bel Di Vedremo"(Vocal; Maria Callas)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-r2vu4t9-g

• Non-complaint:  Sitting here having morning coffee and reading DAZ forums.  Computer radio is playing one of the few operatic arias that I like.  It's usually performed as a vocal and it brings tears to my eyes every time.  However, this version is just the orchestra.  Beautiful in any form.yes

Giacomo Puccini: "Un Bel Di Vedremo"(Instrumental)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVn0m_NCpGk

Giacomo Puccini: "Un Bel Di Vedremo"(Vocal; Maria Callas)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-r2vu4t9-g

I always thought one was supposed to listen to the blues on Mondays. I thought opera was for Odin's day.

Maybe opera is a Monday evening thing...

• Non-complaint:  Sitting here having morning coffee and reading DAZ forums.  Computer radio is playing one of the few operatic arias that I like.  It's usually performed as a vocal and it brings tears to my eyes every time.  However, this version is just the orchestra.  Beautiful in any form.yes

I always thought one was supposed to listen to the blues on Mondays. I thought opera was for Odin's day.

Always doing things because one is "supposed to" is not thinking.

So I'm supposed to do things because I'm not supposed to do them? Taking notes... 

angry

LOL... I'm a gal that likes the ladies... That and I've not found a male character I like... AND working with dudes would require stuff for them and that would take away from the stuff for the ladies and... I need to set up a GoFundMe for my DS habits... *twitches in corner*

Well, actually, I'm a dude that also likes the ladies:) And on a more serious note, your renders are lovelysmiley

• chaynawolfsmoonchaynawolfsmoon Posts: 675
    edited September 2019

angry

Well, actually, I'm a dude that also likes the ladies:) And on a more serious note, your renders are lovelysmiley

LOL thank you.

Apparently a daz studio habit isn't sufficient reason to set up a GoFundMe page. I guess I'll have to remove stuff from my cart.

How'd I do that?: I've managed to twist my ankle walking barefoot through the house. I have no idea how. Graceful?

Post edited by chaynawolfsmoon on
    edited September 2019

Non-complaint:  Sitting here having morning coffee and reading DAZ forums.  Computer radio is playing one of the few operatic arias that I like.  It's usually performed as a vocal and it brings tears to my eyes every time.  However, this version is just the orchestra.  Beautiful in any form.yes

So I'm supposed to do things because I'm not supposed to do them? Taking notes... 

[enter pedantic mode]

Still not thinking.devil  Key words are "always" and "supposed to".  The actor has control of his "always", but does not have control of who defined the "supposed to".  Still taking notes?  Governments and Theocracies rely heavily on these imprecisions.indecision

[exit pedantic mode]

• chaynawolfsmoonchaynawolfsmoon Posts: 675
    edited September 2019

[enter pedantic mode]

Still not thinking.devil  Key words are "always" and "supposed to".  The actor has control of his "always", but does not have control of who defined the "supposed to".  Still taking notes?  Governments and Theocracies rely heavily on these imprecisions.indecision

[exit pedantic mode]

Says the squirrel with a mohawk and a whip! cheeky

I don't know why but I suddenly had a memory of a discussion of Candide in one of my classes in college. At least I think it was Candide. I think that's the only book I remember from that class.

And sometimes it takes a bit of pedantic mode to sail the denser seas.

Post edited by chaynawolfsmoon on
  • Complaint: I'm bored so I decided to track down the original complaint thread...got as far as "The Return of the Son of the Complaint Thread". So what was the name of the first one? And when was that? I assume the mountains were invented already?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2019

Complaint: I'm bored so I decided to track down the original complaint thread...got as far as "The Return of the Son of the Complaint Thread". So what was the name of the first one? And when was that? I assume the mountains were invented already?

Good heavens   the first one was back on the old old old original type forum    Are you old enough, forum wise, to remember that one?   

It would have started sometime between October 2003 and May 2012

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Chohole said:

Complaint: I'm bored so I decided to track down the original complaint thread...got as far as "The Return of the Son of the Complaint Thread". So what was the name of the first one? And when was that? I assume the mountains were invented already?

Good heavens   the first one was back on the old old old original type forum    Are you old enough, forum wise, to remember that one?   

Nope just bored;) And interested!

• Chohole said:

It would have started sometime between October 2003 and May 2012

Ok so I seem to have joined in 2012, but pretty sure I was lurking around long before that.

This discussion has been closed.