My phone will not charge complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited September 2019
    McGyver said:
    TigerAnne said:

During my bodybuilding/biker/leather/mohawk days (age 40-55) 

Now you need to post a picture from that era!

You asked:

Okay that’s why I had the “Road House” image... didn’t picture a BMW though... nice bike. 

Yep, wonderful bike.  I've had a Honda and a Harley but the BMW was by far the best for comfort, reliability, and power.  1995 GS1100 The mother of all dirt bikes.  Center of gravity was a little high but the long travel in the suspension made bumps and dips in any road easily managed.  Halfway across Kansas I caught up with a couple guys on Harleys and stayed with them till they ran out of gas and pulled over at a station.  The road we were on ran parallel to the Interstate but was a very rough, cracked, potholed and weed strewn ancient two lane poor excuse for a road.  When we got off the bikes I heard one guy complain about how sore his butt was.  I snickered to myself because I hadn't noticed a problem at all. 

Yep, loved my bike.  Bought it new three days before I began a trip across the US and Canada and back to Washington, DC.  Ran the first 500 miles as prescribed that weekend, took it back into my dealer for the 500 mile break-in tweak and he said I was OK to start my trip so the next morning I was on my way.  13,000 miles on that trip.  I had it serviced at a BMW dealer in San Francisco and except for scrapes and dings from rocks and having fallen off it's kickstand a couple of times (heavy weight of luggage combined with hot sun on blacktop until I got smart and found a metal plate on a string to stick under the kickstand in hot weather), it survived without any further maintenance.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    TigerAnne said:

You asked:

....nice.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    McGyver said:
    TigerAnne said:

You asked:

Okay that’s why I had the “Road House” image... didn’t picture a BMW though... nice bike. 

Yep, wonderful bike.  I've had a Honda and a Harley but the BMW was by far the best for comfort, reliability, and power.  1995 GS1100 The mother of all dirt bikes.  Center of gravity was a little high but the long travel in the suspension made bumps and dips in any road easily managed.  Halfway across Kansas I caught up with a couple guys on Harleys and stayed with them till they ran out of gas and pulled over at a station.  The road we were on ran parallel to the Interstate but was a very rough, cracked, potholed and weed strewn ancient two lane poor excuse for a road.  When we got off the bikes I heard one guy complain about how sore his butt was.  I snickered to myself because I hadn't noticed a problem at all. 

Yep, loved my bike.  Bought it new three days before I began a trip across the US and Canada and back to Washington, DC.  Ran the first 500 miles as prescribed that weekend, took it back into my dealer for the 500 mile break-in tweak and he said I was OK to start my trip so the next morning I was on my way.  13,000 miles on that trip.  I had it serviced at a BMW dealer in San Francisco and except for scrapes and dings from rocks and having fallen off it's kickstand a couple of times (heavy weight of luggage combined with hot sun on blacktop until I got smart and found a metal plate on a string to stick under the kickstand in hot weather), it survived without any further maintenance.

I’ve always liked BMW bikes, especially the sport-touring and off-road models... the R1100 GS is the kind of bike you can ride to Timbuktu and back... rugged and dependable. 

edited September 2019
    McGyver said:
    McGyver said:
    TigerAnne said:

You asked:

I’ve always liked BMW bikes, especially the sport-touring and off-road models... the R1100 GS is the kind of bike you can ride to Timbuktu and back... rugged and dependable. 

Somewhere in my boxes of chemicals on paper photographs I have a picture of my bike sitting on an overlook of a river in a deep mountain valley (Fraser River north of Vancouver, BC).  I picked that spot because of the similarity it had to the BMW dealer's advertising booklet with the same bike in just such a situation.  But it's just the bike, sans rider.  I was alone in the mountains 200 feet from the road, down a dirt path to the canyon edge, in the days before selfies.

I talk now of mini-adventures but that trip in 1995 was my Grand Adventure, my once in a lifetime experience.  I kept a journal and have many many photos.  I keep threatening to write a book but nobody wants to read yet another book about a bike adventure (Hell, even I was reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" during the trip).  I even had a mantra that I ran through my head in times of stress, to remind me of the true danger.  "Wind is my enemy."  Whether it was fighting 35MPH crosswind gusts that would blow me 8 foot sideways while riding across the unobstructed flat plains of Nebraska on the Interstate, or unexpected gusts from any direction when on steep, twisty, narrow mountain roads, or even the preliminary hurricane winds (hurricane Opal) I endured in Louisianna trying to make it to my pre-arranged stop for the night before the storm hit.  Wind caused me more trouble than anything else in the whole trip.

I stayed in Louisianna a couple of days then followed the trail of the hurricane up Interstates 65 & 85 toward Atlanta, counting the fallen trees (big trees) along the interstate.  Three or four every mile for hundreds of miles.  And even Atlanta was a mess, but not disruptively so, when I got there.  Wind.  frown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Opal

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

trying to watch he-man walk around in his littl outfit  hubba hubba

McGyver said:
    McGyver said:
    TigerAnne said:

You asked:

I’ve always liked BMW bikes, especially the sport-touring and off-road models... the R1100

Somewhere in my boxes of chemicals on paper photographs I have a picture of my bike sitting on an overlook of a river in a deep mountain valley (Fraser River north of Vancouver, BC).  I picked that spot because of the similarity it had to the BMW dealer's advertising booklet with the same bike in just such a situation.  But it's just the bike, sans rider.  I was alone in the mountains 200 feet from the road, down a dirt path to the canyon edge, in the days before selfies.

I talk now of mini-adventures but that trip in 1995 was my Grand Adventure, my once in a lifetime experience.  I kept a journal and have many many photos.  I keep threatening to write a book but nobody wants to read yet another book about a bike adventure (Hell, even I was reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" during the trip).  I even had a mantra that I ran through my head in times of stress, to remind me of the true danger.  "Wind is my enemy."  Whether it was fighting 35MPH crosswind gusts that would blow me 8 foot sideways while riding across the unobstructed flat plains of Nebraska on the Interstate, or unexpected gusts from any direction when on steep, twisty, narrow mountain roads, or even the preliminary hurricane winds (hurricane Opal) I endured in Louisianna trying to make it to my pre-arranged stop for the night before the storm hit.  Wind caused me more trouble than anything else in the whole trip.

I stayed in Louisianna a couple of days then followed the trail of the hurricane up Interstates 65 & 85 toward Atlanta, counting the fallen trees (big trees) along the interstate.  Three or four every mile for hundreds of miles.  And even Atlanta was a mess, but not disruptively so, when I got there.  Wind.  frown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Opal

I don’t think people don’t want to read another motorcycle adventure book... you could always publish it as an ebook or submit it to a motorcycle magazine...

A friend of mine became kinda famous in the BMW community with his YouTube video “A BMW motorcycle story”... (a video chronicle of the restoration of his late father’s 1958 R50)... He’s been in magazines, articles and was invited to BMW headquarters in Germany (an actual invitation, not the old German invitations... “You will come- Now!”)...

Because of the restoration project, he became friends with a well known collector of vintage BMW motorcycles... lately because I’ve come to know that fellow too, I’ve learned the BMW motorcycle community can be a pretty nice bunch of folks... There are lots great stories out there... yours could be one of them too.

Don’t sell yourself short... you’ve got an interesting writing style and a good sense of humor... tell your story. You’ll never know if you don’t give it a shot.

Sorry if that’s preachy, but I found a soap box in the basement and before I throw it out I had to stand on it a bit.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172
    McGyver said:
    DanaTA said:
    McGyver said:

Complaint: It looks like tomato season is winding down... fewer and more mutated looking tomatoes... sigh... Soon it’ll be back to eating those horrible store bought reddish abominations.

The lettuce has gone full ugly and the cucumbers are all dead...

Still have eggplants and some peppers though.

I find the tomatoes still on the vine, usually imported, are pretty good.

Dana

I’ve tried a lot, on the vine, organic, organic on the vine, ugly, heritage, farm stand, different brands... most fall way short.

A year or two ago we stopped by a Trader Joe’s and got some “ugly” tomatoes... they were homegrown delicious... I thought I’d found a source of yummy tomatoes... alas they were a fluke and after going all the way across the island to buy them several times, I gave up.

When I was a kid and I’d visit my father in Italy, they had a small area of their property set aside as a farm... I remember the first time I ate a fresh tomato from the vine... I was like “wait... this is what real tomato’s taste like? How?”  The plum tomato were better than fruit... (if they didn’t have a lizard in them).

I’m tempted to build a small greenhouse to grow them out of season, but the proper materials (primarily the extruded polycarbonate panels) are ridiculously expensive for even a 6’x8’ structure.

I often see small greenhouses for sale at Ocean State Job Lots for not too much money, different sizes.  One is about six feet tall, I think, and maybe four feet wide.  Maybe $50.  I've heard that it's fairly easy to grow tomatoes, you just need the room and some patience, they even grow them from special hanging planters, sometimes only hydroponically.

Dana

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    McGyver said:
    DanaTA said:
    McGyver said:

Complaint: It looks like tomato season is winding down... fewer and more mutated looking tomatoes... sigh... Soon it’ll be back to eating those horrible store bought reddish abominations.

The lettuce has gone full ugly and the cucumbers are all dead...

Still have eggplants and some peppers though.

I find the tomatoes still on the vine, usually imported, are pretty good.

Dana

I’ve tried a lot, on the vine, organic, organic on the vine, ugly, heritage, farm stand, different brands... most fall way short.

A year or two ago we stopped by a Trader Joe’s and got some “ugly” tomatoes... they were homegrown delicious... I thought I’d found a source of yummy tomatoes... alas they were a fluke and after going all the way across the island to buy them several times, I gave up.

When I was a kid and I’d visit my father in Italy, they had a small area of their property set aside as a farm... I remember the first time I ate a fresh tomato from the vine... I was like “wait... this is what real tomato’s taste like? How?”  The plum tomato were better than fruit... (if they didn’t have a lizard in them).

I’m tempted to build a small greenhouse to grow them out of season, but the proper materials (primarily the extruded polycarbonate panels) are ridiculously expensive for even a 6’x8’ structure.

Instead of getting the extruded polycarbonate panels ,just get the heaviest gage clear tarps at Lowes or Home Depot  and staple it to the frame and door ,depending on your winter weather you could use a single layer or do a double layer one outside the frame and one on the inside with an air gap inbetween for a bit of insulation .

• Skiriki said:
    DanaTA said:

Hi!!!

Dana

Hi, hi, hi! So is it true what they say about hotdogs?

I prefer tacos...

I had tacos yesterday.  Prolly will make them at home sometime this week.  I think tacos might be the source of my super power, which is napping.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,872

McGyver said:
    McGyver said:
    TigerAnne said:

You asked:

Danish police and military have used BMW for decades although recently the police have added Yamaha and Honda to the repertoire (apparently they offered some better deals than BMW).  The Germans have always been known for producing top quality tech. 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

My brain is draining.

• Skiriki said:
    DanaTA said:

Hi!!!

Dana

Hi, hi, hi! So is it true what they say about hotdogs?

I prefer tacos...

I had tacos yesterday.  Prolly will make them at home sometime this week.  I think tacos might be the source of my super power, which is napping.

Napping is an admirable super power. I try not to advertise mine because I like that moment of realization when someone discovers them for the first time. The shock and awe of the moment.

I was being metaphorical with my tacos comment.

• Tjohn said:

My brain is draining.

Don't drain it on me! I just fixed my hair...

ok... I haven't actually. I'm still waking up. But I plan to. After I have my shower.

edited September 2019
    Tjohn said:

My brain is draining.

Close your mouth.enlightened

My mother used say: "Be careful when opening your mouth, you're exposing your brains".

Email scammer mess up:

Subject:  Cheapest loans in your country
    Sender:  Two hot girls who love triangles

@DanaTA - I’ve seen those and Harbor Freight has something similar too... they are good for early planting, but too light to survive the winter winds around here since we get nor’easters often and winter winds are very strong due to the proximity to the ocean.

At one point when I first bought our house, I started collecting actual glass windows from home renovations... people would get their old storm windows (the aluminum frame ones) replaced with vinyl... I collected about half of what I needed, but apparently everyone who was going to switch has already done so and I don’t see them around anymore. My stepdad made a small (4’ x 6’) greenhouse using discarded aluminum framed glass and it lasted at least fifteen to twenty years. 

@carrie58 - I’ve considered that, as I’ve made a few small temporary shelters for equipment that way, but the stuff sold in the store is only 6 mil thick and not very UV resistant (I use black, since it has better UV resistance)... those things take a beating in the winter and rarely last more then a year until squirrels, wind and branches destroy them. Squirrels have razor sharp claws and leave little rips in the plastic when they climb on it... they also chew it up to get inside. I once stored a half finished fountain I was working on, under black plastic. I thought I was clever because I made a nice frame because it was a complex shape... what I made was a giant squirrel nest. The fountain body was extruded styrofoam with sculpted cement over it... any areas which I hadn’t covered yet with cement, the furry little beggars chewed to dust... they also chewed up the wires and plumbing. It was a treat opening it up and seeing what was inside.

The thicker stuff 8 mil and up (probably more squirrel and branch-proof) is pricey and some of it is not clearly documented if it can be used outdoors for prolonged exposure... some of the local nurseries use the very thick (12 mil?) clear sheets for roofing... one place gave me the name of a distributor, but they had a crap website and you had to talk to a salesman who didn’t want to sell in small quantities. 

I was also thinking of using corrugated polycarbonate sheet (like on carports) on the outside, and thick (6 mil) plastic on the inside... it would be ugly, but cheaper and probably durable enough... I just hate using that corrugated stuff because it’s fussy to work with.

edited September 2019
    Taoz said:

Email scammer mess up:

How do they feel about trapezoids and rectangles?

Post edited by McGyver on
  • McGyver said:
    Taoz said:

Email scammer mess up:

Rectangles are less than perfect squares.  Because I was a child of the '50s,  I remember that even squares were just not with it, man.

• Non-complaint:  Yay!  My new 4-port USB-3 controller card for my main computer has arrived, been installed and works perfectly.  It even solves the problem of boot failure if my new 4TB hard drive is powered when I turn the computer on.  Yay!smiley

Complaint:  about 3 years ago I bought a nice looking faux black leather swivel desk chair with enough adjustments to accomodate my specific needs of height, angle, twist, and give.  It has served me wonderfully and looked impressive without being cripplingly expensive.  Fast forward three years and in the last 6 months the chair has developed a bad case of eczema.  One arm has lost it's faux leather completely, and now the seat is flaking off at the seams.  Sigh.  Time to look for an appropriate seat pillow or cover, or start saving up for a replacement when the hydraulic support column busts a seal and foops to the bottom never to return again. (the fate of all cheap office chairs)frown

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    McGyver said:

@DanaTA - I’ve seen those and Harbor Freight has something similar too... they are good for early planting, but too light to survive the winter winds around here since we get nor’easters often and winter winds are very strong due to the proximity to the ocean.

At one point when I first bought our house, I started collecting actual glass windows from home renovations... people would get their old storm windows (the aluminum frame ones) replaced with vinyl... I collected about half of what I needed, but apparently everyone who was going to switch has already done so and I don’t see them around anymore. My stepdad made a small (4’ x 6’) greenhouse using discarded aluminum framed glass and it lasted at least fifteen to twenty years. 

@carrie58 - I’ve considered that, as I’ve made a few small temporary shelters for equipment that way, but the stuff sold in the store is only 6 mil thick and not very UV resistant (I use black, since it has better UV resistance)... those things take a beating in the winter and rarely last more then a year until squirrels, wind and branches destroy them. Squirrels have razor sharp claws and leave little rips in the plastic when they climb on it... they also chew it up to get inside. I once stored a half finished fountain I was working on, under black plastic. I thought I was clever because I made a nice frame because it was a complex shape... what I made was a giant squirrel nest. The fountain body was extruded styrofoam with sculpted cement over it... any areas which I hadn’t covered yet with cement, the furry little beggars chewed to dust... they also chewed up the wires and plumbing. It was a treat opening it up and seeing what was inside.

The thicker stuff 8 mil and up (probably more squirrel and branch-proof) is pricey and some of it is not clearly documented if it can be used outdoors for prolonged exposure... some of the local nurseries use the very thick (12 mil?) clear sheets for roofing... one place gave me the name of a distributor, but they had a crap website and you had to talk to a salesman who didn’t want to sell in small quantities. 

I was also thinking of using corrugated polycarbonate sheet (like on carports) on the outside, and thick (6 mil) plastic on the inside... it would be ugly, but cheaper and probably durable enough... I just hate using that corrugated stuff because it’s fussy to work with.

Soooo then are you just thinking aa few tomato plants or more mixed veggies?Do them in pots in the house with plant lights,actually I think you'd need plant lights even if you did the outside plant house ,because of the shorter day light during the winter... otherwise you'll get no fruit ,just alot of stems and leaves ....

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

Just get on a computer to send two emails.  I am checking in to let you know I am okay but annoyed at this computer situation.

• Just get on a computer to send two emails.  I am checking in to let you know I am okay but annoyed at this computer situation.

Hope you get it resolved soon!

McGyver said:
    Taoz said:

Email scammer mess up:

Well if you bring a line that triangle can easily be modified I think.

• I can't find anything in my price range that I want and I have a coupon burning a hole in my pocket... Ok, I don't have any pockets. It is a figure of speech.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104
    Are triangles polygons?
  • Are triangles polygons?

Yes.

edited September 2019
    Are triangles polygons?

Yes.

I thought polygon was when your parrot died.blush  Particularly sad if it was a Norwegian Blue.

• Are triangles polygons?

Yes.

I thought polygon was when your parrot died.blush  Particularly sad if it was a Norwegian Blue.

How about Roman Red?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172
    Tjohn said:

My brain is draining.

Quick...find the plug!!!

Dana

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,635
    edited September 2019

Just get on a computer to send two emails.  I am checking in to let you know I am okay but annoyed at this computer situation.

Hope you get it resolved soon!

Well, if it is like my coupon (a mere 7%) it is so small that it won't burn a very big hole. After spending almost $600 and only getting such a small  coupon "for supporting the PA sale" I am not rushing out to spend any more.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
This discussion has been closed.