• Mystarra said:

to flash... or not to flash?

that is the question.

flash  ahh ahhhh

very competitive ice dancing lol

Well played...

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,875
    edited September 2019

I can't believe how stupid and terrible Superman's costume looked in Justice League. It almost looks like it was intended to create the illusion that Henry Cavill has muscles, which would be ridiculous, because he is thoroughly ripped.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

Complaint:  Got up about a half-hour early this morning, and apparently I was not the only groggy thing in the apartment.  Turned on my computer and it sat at the manufacturer's flash screen (big blue HP) screen for many minutes with no indication of activity.  Tried pressing the 'ESC' key to break out of it into a BIOS mode but zilch.  Nothing changed.  Waited a few more minutes.  Nothing.  Pressed power button, and machine instantly powered down. Waited a few moments for capacitors to drain and then powered back on.  Same thing, just sits at the flash screen longer than expected.  Powered down again and unplugged my bank of external hard drives from the tower's front USB connectors and powered on agan.  Same problem.  However, this time when I pressed the 'ESC' key I held it for a couple seconds and it did eventually break the spell.  So, I then selected a diagnostic mode.  All diagnostics passed OK and I rebooted.  Voilà!  It worked.  Go figure. frown

Wondering whether my new 4TB hard drive being connected and live had anything to do with the problem.  I've plugged my bank of external drives into their connectors again.  Will test tomorrow.  I think it's time to make sure my data backup is current and complete.enlightened

...boot up issues with the drive connected was a complaint I noticed in several reviews.  

Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    TigerAnne said:
    DanaTA said:

Rember?  Did he mean Render?  What's a horber?

Make America Smart Again!

Thing is, the guy's probably on the older side, since he's still passionate about Pearl Harbour. So, he's been dumb for a long time when it comes to spelling. Or he could have dyslexia, but that would mean we're sorta cruel for thinking his typos are funny, so I prefer to think he just can't splel. Alternatively, maybe he didn't buy enough adhesive letters at the store. By the time he noticed, it was almost dinner time and he was hungry, so he was like "Well crap. Ain't goin' back to da store now!" Then, he just arranged the stickers in a way that sort of conveyed the message.

I have legit mistyped remember as "rember" several times, but at least I don't make typos when I write by hand.

I used the word "hopely" for years on the internet, until I realized it spells "hopefully".  Generally I've always been quite good at grammar though, I even had to correct my teachers at school a couple of times.  English speaking people often tell me that I speak better english than most people from their own countries, I think that's common if english is not your first language because you learn it by the book rather than from the environment.  I recall one of my english teachers blaming me for using the word "ain't" which I'd picked up from movies and songs, he said it was slang.   So I'm always careful with my spelling and grammar to avoid others picking up bad language habits from me.  

...careful you might have summoned a new type of pokeman. 

?

..."hopely:" sounds like the name of a pokeman.

Skiriki said:
    Tjohn said:

Hi Skiriki! (waves vigorously)

Hiiiiiiiiii!

..hey.  been a while..

Thought for a moment I was still looking at that old complaint thread from 2012.

edited September 2019

that is the question.

BTW that is one of the former mayors of Portland, OR., Bud Clark.  Yeah, we were weird even before the phrase was coined. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172
    Skiriki said:

I feel like a song coming on!

Hi!!!

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172

Non-complaint(ish):  Yay, my new 4TB hard drive works.  And it actually did come with the weird proper USB cable, but it was only 3 foot long.yes  The disk just plugged and played and currently shows 3.6TB of useable storage for Win7.smiley  However, it's definitely bare bones.  It has no power switch nor any lights.frown, at all.  It's a black box into which one pours bits and they come out again as needed.indecision  I'm also still waiting for my 4-port USB-3 interface board.  I don't know if it will actually help, speedwise, in this old USB-2 machine with DDR3 memory but it should at least work, and will give me enough USB ports so that I don't have to have cables hanging out the front of my computer (I hate that).

My longer (6 foot) USB cable came today so I've now gotten my new drive in the line-up of external drives for my system and properly cabled.  No problem other than I had to find an extension cord with a power switch to be able to turn the drive off for the long sleeps that it will be taking.  So far, I haven't seen it self-powerdown when unused.sad  But I haven't given up checking.

Edited to add:  Yay, the hard drive does turn itself off after about 15 minutes.

Wait, is this a 2.5" drive or a 3.5" drive?  You're talking power switches, so that makes me think you bought a big sized 4TB drive.

And yes, Windows will power off the drive after non use.  Check your power settings for the configurations on that.

So how many gigs was your first backup? 

Hint hint!  cheeky

Yes, full size drive.  ("Big is good" ... makes Tim The Toolman monkey sounds)

Still planning new storage & backup philosophy and testing new drive.  Current backups are sufficient for now.

Photo below is my corner showing my main CPU and my bank of hard drives & other storage devices (new drive is on extreme left).  Very bad photo.  No excuses, I was lazy and used new smartphone camera for the first time instead of digging out my real camera.  Hoping this is not indicative of photo quality from this camera. frown

You win!  I have one 2TB Free Agent GoFlex drive on my desk.  And one 4TB WD My Cloud drive downstairs next to the router.

Dana

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904

kyoto kid said:

A "pokeman" sounds like someone who's going to get reported for his behaviour. surprise (They're called Pokémon, because they're "pocket monsters.")

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,875
    TigerAnne said:

kyoto kid said:

A "pokeman" sounds like someone who's going to get reported for his behaviour. surprise (They're called Pokémon, because they're "pocket monsters.")

Zat's vhat I said: a wowie.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:

that is the question.

BTW that is one of the former mayors of Portland, OR., Bud Clark.  Yeah, we were weird even before the phrase was coined. 

wiener tots ? smiley

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited September 2019
    kyoto kid said:

Complaint:  Got up about a half-hour early this morning, and apparently I was not the only groggy thing in the apartment.  Turned on my computer and it sat at the manufacturer's flash screen (big blue HP) screen for many minutes with no indication of activity.  Tried pressing the 'ESC' key to break out of it into a BIOS mode but zilch.  Nothing changed.  Waited a few more minutes.  Nothing.  Pressed power button, and machine instantly powered down. Waited a few moments for capacitors to drain and then powered back on.  Same thing, just sits at the flash screen longer than expected.  Powered down again and unplugged my bank of external hard drives from the tower's front USB connectors and powered on agan.  Same problem.  However, this time when I pressed the 'ESC' key I held it for a couple seconds and it did eventually break the spell.  So, I then selected a diagnostic mode.  All diagnostics passed OK and I rebooted.  Voilà!  It worked.  Go figure. frown

Wondering whether my new 4TB hard drive being connected and live had anything to do with the problem.  I've plugged my bank of external drives into their connectors again.  Will test tomorrow.  I think it's time to make sure my data backup is current and complete.enlightened

...boot up issues with the drive connected was a complaint I noticed in several reviews.  

surprise Hmmm, then maybe I won't get another one just like it. frown  Perhaps when my USB-3 interface card gets here and installed, the problem will be resolved. 

I'm currently copying 500MB of archived data onto the disk from an external USB-2 disk.  Freaked myself out when I realized that that 500GB had no copy.surprise  This will give the new drive a good workout so if it's going to suffer infant mortality I'm at least giving it the opportunity.  So far, so good.  The new drive isn't even warm.  The old drive was getting hot and I had to move a fan near to it to keep it cool.  It's OK now.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

...whatever floats your flying saucer I guess. 

6 hours on a plane to get there...yikes.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

he man has a man at arms  kinda sounds like a real thing

ships have a stewart.

edited September 2019

...was just on the ESPN site to check baseball scores and saw that pre season hockey is already underway  Crikey, it's September, the first day of Autumn.  That is something like a 10 month season until the Stanley Cup finals are over in the middle of June.

...and people complain about baseball season being too long.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited September 2019
    kyoto kid said:

..hey.  been a while..

Thought for a moment I was still looking at that old complaint thread from 2012.

Oh dear! Flashbacking seven years! That's rough. You need some kitty treatment for that.

carisma_and_kitten.jpg
    680 x 470 - 90K
    Post edited by Skiriki on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    DanaTA said:

Hi!!!

Dana

Hi, hi, hi! So is it true what they say about hotdogs?

edited September 2019

Semi-complaint:  Additional testing has demonstrated that my new external 4TB hard drive does seem to be the source of boot problems if it is connected and powered on before the computer is turned on. sad  But this is not really a big problem if I make sure that I have the master power switch for my bank of external hard drives turned off when powering up the computer.  I don't know the actual reason for the problem.  The symptom is that the computer will show the computer manufacturer's boot-up flash screen but that's as far as it gets.  I suspect that it's some incompatability between the new drive's USB-3 electronics and the old computer's USB-2 chipset electronics, causing the boot process search for USB devices to go wonky.  It might also be attributed to the manufacturer's boot-up program and may explain why not everybody reports this problem.   I have a new USB-3 interface board arriving soon and am hoping that once the new drive is connected to a proper USB-3 interface, that the problem will go away.  However, in the big picture, this is not a show stopper, I just keep the drive powered off until the computer is up.  The drive seems to otherwise function quite nicely.yes

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,872
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    TigerAnne said:
    DanaTA said:

Thing is, the guy's probably on the older side, since he's still passionate about Pearl Harbour. So, he's been dumb for a long time when it comes to spelling. Or he could have dyslexia, but that would mean we're sorta cruel for thinking his typos are funny, so I prefer to think he just can't splel. Alternatively, maybe he didn't buy enough adhesive letters at the store. By the time he noticed, it was almost dinner time and he was hungry, so he was like "Well crap. Ain't goin' back to da store now!" Then, he just arranged the stickers in a way that sort of conveyed the message.

I have legit mistyped remember as "rember" several times, but at least I don't make typos when I write by hand.

I used the word "hopely" for years on the internet, until I realized it spells "hopefully".  Generally I've always been quite good at grammar though, I even had to correct my teachers at school a couple of times.  English speaking people often tell me that I speak better english than most people from their own countries, I think that's common if english is not your first language because you learn it by the book rather than from the environment.  I recall one of my english teachers blaming me for using the word "ain't" which I'd picked up from movies and songs, he said it was slang.   So I'm always careful with my spelling and grammar to avoid others picking up bad language habits from me.  

?

Oh, Ok.  Don't you mean pokemon?

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,872
    Mystarra said:
    kyoto kid said:

that is the question.

wiener tots ?  

Dog eat dog?  That's caninebalism!

• Skiriki said:
    DanaTA said:

Hi!!!

Dana

Hi, hi, hi! So is it true what they say about hotdogs?

I prefer tacos...

edited September 2019

Complaint:  Arghhh...  My secondary computer is Windows10 and I've forgotten the administrator's password. blush  I had stuck a nice neat label on the back of the computer identifying the "Admin" password but it doesn't work.  And the password hint is too cryptic or my brain is too porous.frown  I have a standard user account "User" that I use for my personal stuff and I have the password and PIN for that account.  And, luckily, I have the PIN for the "Admin" account so I CAN get logged into the Admin account but even then there are some things that one can not do without knowing the actual text password.

While logged in as Admin I've tried to change the password for the Admin account but the dialog doesn't give me the option of changing the Admin password while I'm logged in as Admin.frown

OK, getting smartenlightened, from the Admin account I've been able to create a second administrative account "Admin2", then log out of Admin and then login as Admin2 and go to the user account dialog and select "Modify another account" to try to change the password of the Admin account now that it's not logged in.  Yay, now there's an option to change Admin's password but as soon as I press it I get challenged with a "need permission" dialog that wants the original "Admin" password.  Arghhhhh... crying

Skiriki said:
    kyoto kid said:

..hey.  been a while..

Oh dear! Flashbacking seven years! That's rough. You need some kitty treatment for that.

...oooh pretty kitties.

Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    TigerAnne said:
    DanaTA said:

?

Oh, Ok.  Don't you mean pokemon?

...dyslexia strikes deep.

• Old complaint thread from 2012?  Oh, lord.  That was back in my grump period.surprise   I'm not really a grump, I just play one on-line.indecision

edited September 2019

Non-complaint:  Yay!  I've sucessfully reset my administrative password on my other computer.  Yay! smiley Not difficult, but the web suggestions were a bit outdated and I had to fly a little by the seat of my pants. It involved a little booting at low levels and some "cmd" work renaming files and a magic spell.   Never did find out what the old password was but it's moot point now.

This discussion has been closed.