My phone will not charge complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited November 2019

...so wondering if Google had some difficulties this evening.  Nothing of theirs would work, Gmail wouldn't close emails that were read, then it started displaying connection errors when it tried to open it again even though I had a solid connection from my end through my service provider and the Net. I tried to open Gmail through my FF backup but it returned a "File not Found" error which is what made me think the ball was in their court.

Spent most of the evening in frustration thinking it may have been on my end, checking my connections (which were fine), running a lot of diagnostics, doing away with programmes and utilities I either rarely use or feel might have been causing the issues (constantly switching between user and Admin mode), as well as did a number of shutdowns/restarts. Trying to access any other site through Chrome was like wading through waist deep molasses.  Also ran an AV rescan, updated protections and suddenly after a slow start it seemed everything cleared up. However, I don't think it had to do so much with what I did as I am still getting  these annoying bouts of "Not Responding" and it still seems whenever I click on the desktop "Computer" icon, or a drive letter on the Desktop tree, Explorer goes into an extended search mode which makes absolutely no sense.  I also still get an ongoing swirly when I right click to get the options menu for a file or folder.  Not sure what is causing this behaviour (more of a hardware than software geek).

Also had to proof this in Word as the TamperMonkey browser spell check script broke and I can't seem t to get it to restart. 

Ugh!  Been a so not enjoyable Caturday evening on the Double K Ranch.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I've spent over $1000 at daz within the last six weeks, so am doing some renders with the new stuff. I go to find the space ship that was to be the middle of the scene - I have all of the accessories .... and it is the one thing I failed to purchase!!!!!

• I've spent over $1000 at daz within the last six weeks, so am doing some renders with the new stuff. I go to find the space ship that was to be the middle of the scene - I have all of the accessories .... and it is the one thing I failed to purchase!!!!!

DOH!

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited November 2019

Complaint:  I like peanut butter.  Once in a while I make one slice of wheat bread toast with a thin layer of creamy peanut butter as a mid-evening snack.  A little peanut butter is tasty, too much is gummy & blech.  But a few days ago while getting groceries I picked up a jar but didn't notice that it was the crunchy style. indecision  Whoever thought up the idea of crunchy peanut butter was evil.angry  There is no way that one can be conservative about the quantity of crunchy peanut butter on a slice of bread.  The presence of the peanut crumbs necessitates that one lay out thick slabs of product.  It cannot be spread thin.  One goes through a jar of crunchy peanut butter several times faster than the creamy style. frown  But the kids love it and it gets used up quickly.  Good marketing job! surprise

I know there are people out there that like crunchy style, but I'm not one of them... it's like eating a peanut butter and gravel sandwich (don't get me started on Grape Nuts).  My kids eat peanut butter sandwiches so we usually have that in cupboard and I occasionally will make myself one or three of those thin layer of creamy PB on white bread sandwiches... as healthy as other breads like whole grain ones may be, it's not the same... it's like making a whole grain brownie or cupcake. 
    A while ago my wife who tries to get us to eat healthily, purchased some "all natural peanut butter", instead of Skippy. I'm not sure what the point of that stuff was, and I'd venture a guess not all natural peanut butters are like that, but that stuff failed at everything "peanut butter"... first off, you needed to stir it every time you used it (it settles/separates out by the next day), which is no easy task it's like fresh set plaster covered by a layer of oil and if you aren't ready for a fight, the stirring utensil will slip out of the hole in the set "peanut butter" and splash peanut oil everywhere... you literally have to hack and stab at the sediment to dislodge and detach enough peanut funk to allow you to begin the process of mixing (which I suppose is the healthy part because it's quite a cardio workout)... you have to throughly mix the peanut goo... if you don't break it up completely, it'll be oily, lumpy peanut slop. If you mix it completely you'll still have an oily mess not the consistency of normal peanut butter, but it'll allow you to apply it and only partly soak the bread... but then you can enjoy the pleasure of it's texture... which is like sawdust soaked in peanuts a llama spit out (probably... I've only had Brazil nuts a llama spit out).

Needless to say my kids were like "No... just no"...  I can honestly say there are tons of totally disgusting things I'll eat, but that was not one I want to experience again... and they make you work for it too. Yeesh.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,441
    edited November 2019

Complaint:  Arghhh...  I have mice again! angry  This morning I found a half-bananna that I'd saved from yesterday with the cut end chewed down a quarter-inch below the skin and mouse poop all around it, and on my stove and in my tableware drawer.  New neighbors are raising rabbits in their enclosed back porch/laundry area.  I'm having to wash all my tableware and disinfect all surfaces in the kitchen.  I've set a couple of traps baited with crunchy peanut butter (good use for it).  This rodential issue must be nipped in the bud before they raise a family.  Grrrrr....

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    McGyver said:

Complaint:  I like peanut butter.  Once in a while I make one slice of wheat bread toast with a thin layer of creamy peanut butter as a mid-evening snack.  A little peanut butter is tasty, too much is gummy & blech.  But a few days ago while getting groceries I picked up a jar but didn't notice that it was the crunchy style. indecision  Whoever thought up the idea of crunchy peanut butter was evil.angry  There is no way that one can be conservative about the quantity of crunchy peanut butter on a slice of bread.  The presence of the peanut crumbs necessitates that one lay out thick slabs of product.  It cannot be spread thin.  One goes through a jar of crunchy peanut butter several times faster than the creamy style. frown  But the kids love it and it gets used up quickly.  Good marketing job! surprise

I know there are people out there that like crunchy style, but I'm not one of them... it's like eating a peanut butter and gravel sandwich (don't get me started on Grape Nuts).  My kids eat peanut butter sandwiches so we usually have that in cupboard and I occasionally will make myself one or three of those thin layer of creamy PB on white bread sandwiches... as healthy as other breads like whole grain ones may be, it's not the same... it's like making a whole grain brownie or cupcake. 
    A while ago my wife who tries to get us to eat healthily, purchased some "all natural peanut butter", instead of Skippy. I'm not sure what the point of that stuff was, and I'd venture a guess not all natural peanut butters are like that, but that stuff failed at everything "peanut butter"... first off, you needed to stir it every time you used it (it settles/separates out by the next day), which is no easy task it's like fresh set plaster covered by a layer of oil and if you aren't ready for a fight, the stirring utensil will slip out of the hole in the set "peanut butter" and splash peanut oil everywhere... you literally have to hack and stab at the sediment to dislodge and detach enough peanut funk to allow you to begin the process of mixing (which I suppose is the healthy part because it's quite a cardio workout)... you have to throughly mix the peanut goo... if you don't break it up completely, it'll be oily, lumpy peanut slop. If you mix it completely you'll still have an oily mess not the consistency of normal peanut butter, but it'll allow you to apply it and only partly soak the bread... but then you can enjoy the pleasure of it's texture... which is like sawdust soaked in peanuts a llama spit out (probably... I've only had Brazil nuts a llama spit out).

Needless to say my kids were like "No... just no"...  I can honestly say there are tons of totally disgusting things I'll eat, but that was not one I want to experience again... and they make you work for it too. Yeesh.

Ah  but if you spread it on nice seeded whole meal bread and cut it up into tiny wee sandwiches you should see how the birds queue up at the feeders.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited November 2019

Complaint:  Arghhh...  I have mice again! angry  This morning I found a half-bananna that I'd saved from yesterday with the cut end chewed down a quarter-inch below the skin and mouse poop all around it, and on my stove and in my tableware drawer.  New neighbors are raising rabbits in their enclosed back porch/laundry area.  I'm having to wash all my tableware and disinfect all surfaces in the kitchen.  I've set a couple of traps baited with crunchy peanut butter (good use for it).  This rodential issue must be nipped in the bud before they raise a family.  Grrrrr....

I haven't seen evidence of mice yet ,but I spent most of the summer when able cleaning up their trails from last winter ,still finding hiding spots ,but haven't found where they are getting in ..... and I have 2 dogs in the house that don't notice them ....

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • carrie58 said:

I haven't seen evidence of mice yet ,but I spent most of the summer when able cleaning up their trails from last winter ,still finding hiding spots ,but haven't found where they are getting in ..... and I have 2 dogs in the house that don't notice them ....

Perhaps if you had smaller, more agile dogs.enlightened  You know, the ones with soft fluffy hair and make a sound like "meow".indecision

McGyver said:

....one thing I do is before opening the jar the first time, is to store it upside down for a day or two so the oil seeps upwards to the "bottom." This makes it easier to stir in without the oil glopping down the side of the jar.  I stay away from the major brand commercial PBs because they use rapeseed oil which many years ago was deemed unhealthy to consume (don't know why that changed as it still is not all that good for you).  The alternative some companies use in their "no stir" natural PBs is palm oil, but that has "other" drawbacks.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,364
    kyoto kid said:
    McGyver said:

....one thing I do is before opening the jar the first time, is to store it upside down for a day or two so the oil seeps upwards to the "bottom." This makes it easier to stir in without the oil glopping down the side of the jar.  I stay away from the major brand commercial PBs because they use rapeseed oil which many years ago was deemed unhealthy to consume (don't know why that changed as it still is not all that good for you).  The alternative some companies use in their "no stir" natural PBs is palm oil, but that has "other" drawbacks.

Since when was Rapeseed oil bad for you?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    Chohole said:
    McGyver said:

Ah  but if you spread it on nice seeded whole meal bread and cut it up into tiny wee sandwiches you should see how the birds queue up at the feeders.

I'd love to feed birds, only that instantly turns into feeding squirrels... My aunt has a bird feeder that is squirrel-proof, which I have to look into getting. I wouldn't be so cruel as to feed the sawdust and llama spit to even squirrels.

edited November 2019

...used to have that issue in both the cellar falt I lived in and the shared home I stayed at before I finally clearing the waitlist for my current place.  Definitely not fun to deal with. 

In the shared house, it was odd as the owners had four cats (obviously none of them good mousers) and two dogs, as I'd often find mouse droppings downstairs and upstairs during the winter.  As it was an old house that the owners really didn't take very good care of,  likely the mice would get into the walls as it got colder, and would venture out at night to forage and poop all over.  On top of this, during the summer there was a serious ant issue as well.  Hence I had to keep everything either pest could get at in tightly closed containers.  Again this was likely due to the fact the kitchen was a mess most of the time with dirty dishes often piled in the sink and stacked on counters often with food left on/in them (in spite of the fact they had a dishwasher).

So glad I have my own place again, in a new, secure, and well maintained building, with no rodents, spiders, water (the latter two being major issues in the cellar flat I rented), and ants, with my own kitchen and loo (no having to wait 20 - 30 min for someone in the shower anymore). 

edited November 2019
    scorpio said:
    kyoto kid said:
    McGyver said:

Since when was Rapeseed oil bad for you?

In the US and some other countries, the term 'rapeseed oil' is used to refer to the oil for industrial use, whereas 'Canola oil' is used to refer to the edible cooking oil. However, in the UK, 'rapeseed oil' is usually used interchangeably for both and the term 'Canola oil' is not really used at all.

I personally don't care if it's good for me or not,  I cannot stand the flavour of it.   I can also detect the twang  coming from rape when honey from hives placed to fertilise the rape is added to blended cheap honey.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited November 2019
    McGyver said:
    Chohole said:
    McGyver said:

I'd love to feed birds, only that instantly turns into feeding squirrels... My aunt has a bird feeder that is squirrel-proof, which I have to look into getting. I wouldn't be so cruel as to feed the sawdust and llama spit to even squirrels.

It's quite strange actually, since we moved up here to these Welsh mountains I haven't seen more than 1 or two squirrels.  Maybe its the raptors that fly a patrol over the area which keeps them away.   I often say that with the hoards of sparrows which come to visit that I feed the sparrows so that the Sparrowhawks get nice plump food. 

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited November 2019

...indeed .the ingredients list often included both rapeseed and canola as separate entries.

"Canola" oil sold here in the states is actually a highly processed and modified version of the rapeseed plant first developed in a lab in Canada in the late 1970s (hence the name "canola", which is a trade name for low-erucic acid rapeseed oil).  I tend to avoid using canola as well due to it being highly processed (using chemical bleaches and deodorizers to counter the fact it turns rancid during the extraction process which employs a high heat treatment) and has an overbalance of Omega 6 fatty acids to Omega 3s which can cause/aggravate inflammation.

Two of the best oils to use are avocado oil and Olive oil but the downside is they are much more expensive (and olive oil has a lower smoke point as well as distinctive flavour which may not sit well with some foods). 

I use Safflower oil which is a little more expensive than soy or canola (though not as much as avocado or olive oil), has a high smoke point (making it good for stir frys) as well as a very light taste.  It is also high in monounsaturated fats and low in saturated fats r as well as promotes improved insulin sensitivity, "good" HDL cholesterol levels and has a lower, C-reactive protein, a marker for inflammation.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,364
    kyoto kid said:

...indeed .the ingredients list often included both rapeseed and canola as separate entries.

"Canola" oil sold here in the states is actually a genetically modified version of rapeseed oil developed in a lab in Canada in the 1970s (hence the name, "Can-ola").  I tend to avoid that as well due to it being highly processed here which reduces the nutrient value.and is high in Omega-6 fatty acids which can contribute to, or further aggravate, inflammation (as in the case of arthritis which I have).

I see not really the same stuff that we call Rapeseed, which I'm pretty sure here in the UK comes from the plant; they grow enough of it, I'm usually surrounded by it where I live.

edited November 2019

Non-complaint:  Wheee... while pondering over the Amazon catalog site I started looking at DDR3 memory for my old desktops, despite knowing that my old primary machine was maxed out at 8GB and my previous primary had been maxed out at 4GB I wondered why I was even looking at DDR3 memory.frown  After all, my new spiffy primary machine (a gutted and completely upgraded system) now uses DDR4 memory and has the capability of quadrupling to 64GB, so why was I looking at DDR3 memory?  

Then in a flash of brain activity I remembered the history of my 3rd machine (an old Vista machine) that had been maxed out at 4GB was when it was an off the shelf HP system.  But, several years ago it's motherboard had died and I'd searched carefully for a replacement motherboard, but HP wanted both my legs and an arm for a replacement board, so I made my first venture into customizing a system and found an MSI motherboard that would accept the existing and still functioning CPU and 4GB of RAM.  The motherboard transplant had worked and I used that machine through another several of Microsoft upgrades from the original Vista through Win7, to Win8 to Win8.1 and  finally to Win10 where it ran out of horsepower and was relegated to being a temporary computer for my brother to use at a local airport.  He returned it a few months ago.  Then a couple weeks ago I had the idea, ambition and cash to replace the hard drive with an SSD.enlightened  Now it runs like a real machine again.smiley Except that the 4GB of RAM hampers it when doing big Photoshop or DAZ projects.indecision  But somewhere in the back of my mind I was dimly aware that I should be able to get more memory into it.  So, I looked up the specs for the MSI motherboard and sure enough it will handle a total of 8GB of DDR3 RAM in the two slots.  So I ordered what should be compatible memory and it's winging its way to me to be here next weeks sometime.  Yay!  Another Win10 machine that will have enough memory to be useful.yes  Not the fastest horse in the race but despite its age I've pumped new life into it, yet again.smiley  One cannot have too many computers.devil

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172
    McGyver said:
    Chohole said:
    McGyver said:

Squirrel-proof feeders are only that sometimes.  Squirrels are very inventive and figure things out.  The other thing to help is to give the squirrels their own food.  Peanuts.  There is an item called a Squirrel Munch Box.  A good one is made my Feathered Friend.  You fill it with peanuts.  It has a clear glass front, and a lid on a slant.  The squirrels lift the lid with their head and grab the peanuts from inside.  I have also seen chipmunks go right inside the box.  A couple minutes later, they come out with their cheeks all puffy!  laugh  I've even seen a Blue Jay lift the lid and grab some peanuts.  I was amazed, because I didn't think they'd be able to lift it.  When I bought my first munch box, I had a lot of fun watching the squirrels eating at the box.  And it did seem to take away the incentive for them to raid the bird feeder.  Until it runs out of peanuts, then they try for the bird seed again.   Always use shelled peanuts from a farm supply or bird seed supply.  If you use salted peanuts, that's not good for the squirrels.

Dana

kyoto kid said:

"Canola" oil sold here in the states is actually a genetically modified version of rapeseed oil developed in a lab in Canada in the 1970s (hence the name, "Can-ola").  I tend to avoid that as well due to it being highly processed here which reduces the nutrient value.and is high in Omega-6 fatty acids which can contribute to, or further aggravate, inflammation (as in the case of arthritis which I have).

Canola is a cultivar of rapeseed.  A cultivar is defined asa plant variety that has been produced in cultivation by selective breeding.  The plant was not created in a lab.  It was, however, developed in Canada.  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-is-canola_n_58d13dfde4b0be71dcf81b08  

As for it being bad for you, I don't know.  it reduces the intake of cholesterol.  Which is a good thing.

Dana

...revised the post a bit.  However the breeding with the cultivars still needed to be developed in controlled conditions (at the University of Manitoba) before being released for field use.  A "laboratory" doesn't necessarily need to have four walls and a roof.

edited November 2019
    DanaTA said:
    McGyver said:
    Chohole said:
    McGyver said:

Squirrel-proof feeders are only that sometimes.  Squirrels are very inventive and figure things out.  The other thing to help is to give the squirrels their own food.  Peanuts.  There is an item called a Squirrel Munch Box.  A good one is made my Feathered Friend.  You fill it with peanuts.  It has a clear glass front, and a lid on a slant.  The squirrels lift the lid with their head and grab the peanuts from inside.  I have also seen chipmunks go right inside the box.  A couple minutes later, they come out with their cheeks all puffy!  laugh  I've even seen a Blue Jay lift the lid and grab some peanuts.  I was amazed, because I didn't think they'd be able to lift it.  When I bought my first munch box, I had a lot of fun watching the squirrels eating at the box.  And it did seem to take away the incentive for them to raid the bird feeder.  Until it runs out of peanuts, then they try for the bird seed again.   Always use shelled peanuts from a farm supply or bird seed supply.  If you use salted peanuts, that's not good for the squirrels.

Dana

If you're not too concerned about the squirrels, the salted peanuts are just fine.devil  Or you can set up a feeding station for a Great Horned Owl or some eagles or some large hawks then let them deal with your squirrel issue.enlighteneddevil

LG, I don't have a squirrel issue.  I don't feed them or the birds lately.  I try to during the winter, when I can afford it.  Peanuts got much too expensive.  I have a new munch box, but haven't put it up because I can't afford the peanuts.  

Dana

• I had a squirrel problem once.  And therein lies a tale for another day.  (actually I've related it here before.  Long story, lots of squrrels, squirrels in house, frantic gaggle of women, and there was even an eagle in the story.  Someday when my typing fingers are itchy I'll spew it forth again.)

• i've reached the point where my 3rd party assets have become annoying to scroll through... how does anyone maintain their sanity?

• i've reached the point where my 3rd party assets have become annoying to scroll through... how does anyone maintain their sanity?

You're supposed to maintain it?  I thought sanity was like chickens, heathier when free ranged.  Perhaps not as safe though...frown

You're supposed to maintain it?  I thought sanity was like chickens, heathier when free ranged.  Perhaps not as safe though...frown

Imagine chickens... herding cats... blindfolded... in traffic... where the drivers are blindfolded as well... and steering with their knees... and reciting War and Peace using sign language...

this might approximate the level of sanity i think i have at the moment... which is likely a delusion...

• Chohole said:
    McGyver said:
    Chohole said:
    McGyver said:

It's quite strange actually, since we moved up here to these Welsh mountains I haven't seen more than 1 or two squirrels.  Maybe its the raptors that fly a patrol over the area which keeps them away.   I often say that with the hoards of sparrows which come to visit that I feed the sparrows so that the Sparrowhawks get nice plump food. 

It's probably the predator birds.  Especially if there's little tree and undergrowth cover, they have the advantage over squirrels, and the squirrels become tasty morsels for baby birds.

...depressing, it gets dark earlier now making the days feel even shorter. The sun now sets before 17:00 and is so low in the sky during the day that little sunlight it reaches the streets in my area of town because of all the high rises.  At least it was clear, mild, and calm today, good afternoon to make a grocery run to the market that is further away to stock up on bulk spices and other items the Safeway just down the street doesn't sell. Pretty much got the same amount of each spice I needed for a mere fraction of what it costs to buy it in those little bottles and a 12 oz bottle of pure maple syrup on sale for 4.99$ (instead of 7$ - 9$). 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

i've reached the point where my 3rd party assets have become annoying to scroll through... how does anyone maintain their sanity?

We  don't.

"We're all mad here..."

This discussion has been closed.