My phone will not charge complaint thread

Comments

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904

[Summary: 7-elevens in Florida were gross in the 60s.]

When I was a pre-school kid, a good couple of decades later (and across the pond), every household in the area would get their tap-water from this open pressure basin located on one of the hilltops. There was literally nothing between the water meant for drinking (because Norway) and all the stuff that might fall into a huge concrete tray located right next to a convenience store. One summer it played host to a giant germ-festival, because of course it did. My family had been out of town for weeks, visiting some family in another part of the country, and my parents hadn't read the note in the local paper about how it was a good idea to boil water before using it for well, anything. So after a long, sweltering car ride, we all had a few glasses of it. Yum! I was 4 years old, so I don't remember the aftermath (just that our lawn had become a jungle while we were away, and I begged Dad to leave it like that for a while), but according to Mom both my Aunt and me were laid up for a couple of days.

When they drained the basin, they found dead birds (we're talking sea-gulls and crows), at least one dead cat, bicycles, bags full of household trash, cigarette butts and several pounds of chewed gum. After that it got a lid, but our drinking water (which we still consume right from the tap, because Norway) still comes from this lake nearby that you're allowed to go swimming in. There used to be signs (maybe they're still there) asking bathers to please not go to the toilet in the water. I know the conditions are similar and much worse in other places, which is why bottled water is a thing. But here's the fun fact: You know Voss water, which is sold in several countries, including the US, and comes in posh little glass bottles? Um yeah, that water's not from Voss, and it's not from an artesian spring. It's from a municipal well, and according to a news report a few years back, "the same water people in Iveland flush their toilets with." Now you know. It's still perfectly safe to drink, though. yes

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited November 2019

One thing nice about where I live now is that we get well water.  There is no public water system in this tiny town.  People in the town proper have to consider how close their wells are to their (or their neighbor's) septic tanks (everybody has septic tanks, there is no public sewer system).  But where I grew up (4 blocks away) and here, there is a hill behind us, unpopulated by people or domestic animals.  The well is uphill of the septic tank.  Both houses are on an edge of the town so there are no other neighbor's septic tanks to worry about.  The hill is now, and has been, wooded and unused for the last 200+ years since it was originally logged when this town was founded.  Water percolates down through the ground, runs along the rock layers and comes out in our well, about as fresh and clean as one would want it.  I drink tap water all the time, and did for 18 years when I was growing up in this same town.  I ain't been sick from the water and I'm not dead yet.  So, yeah, I have no water problems.  And it's plentiful and free (except for the expense of drilling the well 80 years ago and a new pump every 30 years.  In the house that I grew up in (4 blocks from here) we even had another separate well just outside the back door of the house that had a tall old fashioned hand-pump with a long lever and curved spout with a hook on it for hanging a bucket on it.  Great fun to use for a little quick exercise but I would have hated to have to draw & carry enough water for a bath with it.  The water was (and still is, 70 years later) cold and clear.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Non-complaint... we recently purchased an electric pressure cooker. It has the worst instructions, but it works really well... I made beef stew in 30 minutes... I probably should have set it for 38 minutes, but I'll do that next time. Yum... I love beef stew. And the potatoes are saturated with beefy goodness. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

yummy beef stew.  droolicious dreams of beef stew abd taters.  sodium free .  heart

edited November 2019

I've been wanting to try my hand at making a "Boiled Dinner" (cabbage, carrots, ham, onions, etc).  But every recipe that I look at says use a "Dutch Oven" (large, thick walled, tight cover) pot, which I don't have.  So, the idea of "boiled dinner" gets put on the back burner.frown  (semi-pun intended)

As for beef stew... I still rely on Dinty Moore.indecision  Not as good as homemade but I get 5 meals out their big can.yes

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited November 2019

...just returned from a transit adventure (felt I waited and walked for more time than I was actually on the bus).  Needed to get new shoes before the real rainy season started as my old ones have been falling apart and wet feet in 40° weather is no fun. Also needed a new web belt. as it seems whoever engineers standard buckle belts never gets the eyelets placed just right so it is either too loose or too tight.  For shoes I prefer slip-ons because it has become difficult to tie laces tightly with my stiff arthritic hands and lack of grip.

So I went to the store where I bought both items the last time.

Much to my dismay, for belts, all they had were ones made by the big name brand companies that were way too expensive (25$ - 35$) even for the few web belts I saw (I'm used to spending under 10$ for one there, sometimes as little as 7$).

For the shoes I ended up shelling out far more than I wanted (I budgeted for around 40$) for a pair of Sketchers extra wide moccasin slip-ons, that surprisingly don;'t look like gaudy "moon boot" sport shoes.  The rub, they were 65$, and that was on sale. However, they fit perfectly, were made of soft leather like my old ones, and have excellent arch support.  The less expensive brands I tried on were too tight in the toe area (even a size 12 Wide which is one size larger than I normally wear) and were terribly uncomfortable (to the point of being painful) in comparison. When I put the Sketchers on for the very first time, they felt like I had already been wearing them for a couple months.

So looks like a lean month for the rest of November as I still have my power and phone to pay, but at least I'll have dry, warm, and comfortable feet when the winter rains return. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

I've been wanting to try my hand at making a "Boiled Dinner" (cabbage, carrots, beef, onions, etc).  But every recipe that I look at says use a "Dutch Oven" (large, thick walled, tight cover) pot, which I don't have.  So, the idea of "boiled dinner" gets put on the back burner.frown  (semi-pun intended)

As for beef stew... I still rely on Dinty Moore.indecision  Not as good as homemade but I get 5 meals out their big can.yes

I've never used the Dutch oven for my boiled dinner ,I either use a crock pot or just slow cook the meat in a pot on the stove ,then about an hour before I want to eat I add the carrots potatoes and cabbage wedges , though sometimes I cheat and just cook a big beef brisket in the crock pot or on the stove let it cool divide it into portions and freeze it  ,that way later I can add the veggies at a later time ,so I can make saute cabbage and carrot slices and a nuked potato  hmmm sounds like a plan!!

I've been wanting to try my hand at making a "Boiled Dinner" (cabbage, carrots, beef, onions, etc).  But every recipe that I look at says use a "Dutch Oven" (large, thick walled, tight cover) pot, which I don't have.  So, the idea of "boiled dinner" gets put on the back burner.frown  (semi-pun intended)

my cousin's Polish grandma made a stuffed cabbage,  could smell it cooking around the block, we'd be drooling.  recipe straight from the old country.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172
    kyoto kid said:

...just returned from a transit adventure (felt I waited and walked for more time than I was actually on the bus).  Needed to get new shoes before the real rainy season started as my old ones have been falling apart and wet feet in 40° weather is no fun. Also needed a new web belt. as it seems whoever engineers standard buckle belts never gets the eyelets placed just right so it is either too loose or too tight.  For shoes I prefer slip-ons because it has become difficult to tie laces tightly with my stiff arthritic hands and lack of grip.

So I went to the store where I bought both items the last time.

Much to my dismay, for belts, all they had were ones made by the big name brand companies that were way too expensive (25$ - 35$) even for the few web belts I saw (I'm used to spending under 10$ for one there, sometimes as little as 7$).

For the shoes I ended up shelling out far more than I wanted (I budgeted for around 40$) for a pair of Sketchers extra wide moccasin slip-ons, that surprisingly don;'t look like gaudy "moon boot" sport shoes.  The rub, they were 65$, and that was on sale. However, they fit perfectly, were made of soft leather like my old ones, and have excellent arch support.  The less expensive brands I tried on were too tight in the toe area (even a size 12 Wide which is one size larger than I normally wear) and were terribly uncomfortable (to the point of being painful) in comparison. When I put the Sketchers on for the very first time, they felt like I had already been wearing them for a couple months.

So looks like a lean month for the rest of November as I still have my power and phone to pay, but at least I'll have dry, warm, and comfortable feet when the winter rains return. 

Are you sure?  I've found that real leather tends to stretch a little as you break them in.  If they're already that comfy, they may end up loose in a while.

Dana

edited November 2019

...yes I realise that..  

The less expensive brands (which I never heard of) that I tried on were narrower in the toe area (even the pairs that specified "wide fit") than my old ones were when I first bought them, and seemed to be cut a bit more like a dress shoe than casual one.  With one brand, I couldn't even get my foot into it and it was my size..  They  also didn't have near as much cushioning for the bottom of the feet as the ones I bought do (which have a conforming memory foam insole as well as better arch support). 

They still do need a little breaking in, but just felt better out of the box than the cheaper pairs I tried on, and I really needed something I can wear now on a daily basis that doesn't pinch or feel like it is crushing the tops of my feet and toes whenever I take a step.

Also being a diabetic I need to be careful as even slightly tight fitting shoes can cause other issues. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904

sadsadsad

My cousin's 7-year-old Labrador retriever has taken ill, and it doesn't look like he's going to make it. He's never been a very healthy pupper, poor guy.

edited November 2019

Yeah, what is it about belts that make them cost so much in a store?sad  I gave up looking for affordable belts in a store.  Last belt I bought was from a temporary mall kiosk around Christmas time about 3 or 4 years ago from a local guy who makes leather goods.  He had piles of long, plain or variously embossed, leather belts that were uncut and un-holed.  I picked out a buckle, he installed it with a couple of rivets, then cut and stained the other end.  I  put the belt in my loops and he punched the holes where they needed to be.  $20yes  Wheee... custom made belt!   It's like shooting the arrow into a fence then drawing the target circles around it.  Bullseye every time!smiley

news in the break room this morning, you wanna see non-domestic moose

the meeses hanging out at Moose Ally in Maine

and we know where there's a moose, a flying squirrel isn't far behind.

kyoto kid said:

I hate that... what the hell is worth $35 in a damned belt? It's a dollar buckle and a (not even) dollar's worth of leather... All stores sell are name brand belts... I don't want that... I just need a plain black leather belt to keep my pants up, hang my phone, mini mag light and Leatherman multi tool on.

If I go to an "outlet" store, surprise, surprise, it's the same price maybe $30... Walmart used to have $12-$15 belts, but now they carry the same brands as every other store... there is literally no variety or competition.  Forget getting a plain belt somewhere that sells uniforms or work gear, you might as well be purchasing medical or aerospace grade leather... (it's probably because most people just write the purchase off on taxes or charge the company)...

The hell I'll buy one on Amazon, you basically have the same choices for pretty much the same price... Prime is a ripoff because if I find a $35 item in a store, it's gonna be $40 in Prime... $35 in non-Prime plus $5 shipping, so no savings 90% of the time... oh but I'll get it next day if it's one of the millions of items that are next day prime... I'm pretty sure they are considering individual grains of sand in hourglasses into that equation, because nothing ever comes one day or two days when that was their big deal. 

TigerAnne said:

sadsadsad

My cousin's 7-year-old Labrador retriever has taken ill, and it doesn't look like he's going to make it. He's never been a very healthy pupper, poor guy.

Aw... that sucks. Sorry to hear this... Sick doggies are so sad.

soant yoo know that you're a shooting star, doanyaknow  - jonny be good

turned the heat on lasty night, shilly willy

heard the great lakes area hassing some snow

rock block THor's day.  

nice lady held the door for me and my walker at starbucks.  she said 'cold eh'  i was like, you must be Canadian. smiley  she laughed. lol

complaint, people who leave their used k cup in les machina

which came first,  car parks or parking lots?

i dont understand why men dont rebel against wearing ties?

i beg your pardon, never promised you a rose garden

Yeah, what is it about belts that make them cost so much in a store?sad  I gave up looking for affordable belts in a store.  Last belt I bought was from a temporary mall kiosk around Christmas time about 3 or 4 years ago from a local guy who makes leather goods.  He had piles of long, plain or variously embossed, leather belts that were uncut and un-holed.  I picked out a buckle, he installed it with a couple of rivets, then cut and stained the other end.  I  put the belt in my loops and he punched the holes where they needed to be.  $20yes  Wheee... custom made belt!   It's like shooting the arrow into a fence then drawing the target circles around it.  Bullseye every time!smiley

$20 and it's a custom handmade belt and probably thicker, better quality leather too... and you got to choose a buckle. 

McGyver said:

$20 and it's a custom handmade belt and probably thicker, better quality leather too... and you got to choose a buckle. 

last belt i bought, bought at the paddles club on 26th street,  one end was cut into 3 strips.  don't know what animal it was made from.

edited November 2019

Music to DAZ by:  Poking around my classical music collection again this morning.  Picked out the L'Arlesienne Suite by Georges Bizet.  Some good tunes in the 8 pieces (Suite #1 and Suite#2)  The one I remember and twitch to the most is the finale (#4: "Farandole") of Suite #2.  Three minutes of quick march/dance/twirl/jump exhaustion.

Georges Bizet: "Farandole" from L'Arlesienne Suite #2   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7p74wVffpI  (Caution: earworm bait)surprise

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

(Sigh)

starts slow  waaiit for iiit laugh

edited November 2019

Thanks for that.  I've seen movies about Beethoven ("Immortal Beloved"), Chopin("Impromptu"), Liszt("Song Without End"), Grieg("Song Of Norway"), Mozart("Amedeus"), Wagner("Wagner"), Strauss("The Great Waltz"), Rachmaninoff("Harvest Of Sorrow"), but never heard of this one about Paganini("The Devil's Violinist").yes

All these composers with lofty sounding names get a movie made about them.  But they even did a multi-episode TV series about the great composer Joe Green. wink

edited November 2019

Complaint:  Arghhh... I sit down at the computer for a few minutes finish my quick list of composer movies and when done I look out the window and see that it's snowing hard outside and accumulating already.  Arghhh...surprise

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172
    Tjohn said:

(Sigh)

What's wrong?   frown

Dana

• I removed DS from all the other computers I had it installed on. They were just too slow to be worthwhile. So I'm down to rendering images on this computer and I feel fairly certain I'm ok with that. For now.

..yeah I'll have to check the mall for of those next time.  If I  can get the a good leather one with the holes where they are supposed to be, 20$ is worth it. May have to wait until next month though.. 

TigerAnne said:

sadsadsad

...sad

Mystarra said:
    McGyver said:

last belt i bought, bought at the paddles club on 26th street,  one end was cut into 3 strips.  don't know what animal it was made from.

..the wild Nauga?

• IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655
    edited November 2019

Daz is slow. Even on a high end machine daz can't handle high pologon counts like blender or even iclone.

There needs to be a complete overhaul on daz instead of dropping in more features that make daz even more slow.

Post edited by Illidanstorm on
This discussion has been closed.