[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 2 Female to Genesis 8 Female [Commercial]

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    Kharma said:

Could someone who has tried this converter post a converted PA character?  All characters in the promo images seemm to be Daz original core figures, I would like to see how some others are handled by the converter.  Thanks if you can ...

I ran the G3F to G8F converter and it worked on all of my Daz baught characters, even Megan who is a stylized toon character.  It worked on most of my free downloaded characters but not all.  The ones that only work with INJ fuctions didn't work.

The cool thing is that after you run the script the converted characters show up in smart content.  The materials are a different story.  The base material are loaded, but I had to navigate to the make up otions with smart filter off.  I only just tried it last night, but I was happy with it..

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2020
    inquire said:

Will there be a male counterpart to this? Going from G2 Male to G8 Male? And, if so, will this work if the G2 Male was brought in using the conveters that allow M4 to Genesis 1, and Genesis 1 to Genesis 2? That is, will it work without messing up the morphs and distorting the resulting G8 Male figure? Just wondering if something like this is planned.

I second this! I would LOVE to see something come out for G2M. I still use that generation quite a bit. Would love to bring the guys forward to G8! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • evacynevacyn Posts: 960

I finally got a chance to test it out, and it's great! My first test subject was Ninive, although it took 58mins (!) to convert, I think she turned out quite well.

The only issue I came across was how long it took to apply UVs using the Legacy UVs product. Typically, it only takes 30 seconds tops, but it was 5+ minutes for me before they appeared. Intitially I thought Daz crashed, but it was just a really long process.

Here's a quick test image - I'm using Legacy UVs with Altern8 (I usually use NGS2, but the manual script doesn't seem to work for me anymore).

• BruganBrugan Posts: 365

Hi RiverSoft!

Just curious, how did you get Callie 6 to transfer so nicely? I've tried 2 times now (once on default tolerance and once on .09 tolerance (took 2 1/2 hours) and both times her eyes stretched vertically. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,372

I had missed that this was in your pipeline and there it was today! I can finally convert my favorite character in Daz by gypsyangel, https://www.daz3d.com/destiny-for-olympia-6 to G8F and utilize all the improvements that are available today for her. 

You are so kind to us.

Thank you RiverSoftArt.

Mary

You're welcome!  Enjoy!

tkdrobert said:

UGH, your killing me.  I just got G3F to G8F on Sunday.  My best characters are G2.  Now I have to get this.  Maybe not today, but I have to get this.

LOL.  Thanks for the support!

Drip said:

I'm quite happy, seeing how many people turn out to have a Genesis 2 character as their favourite. That would suggest there's more people who like the more stylized "non-realistic" figures than some recurring posts on these forums would make us believe. (Given the popularity of Mousso and FWSA figures for G8, that was already obvious, just never really spoken out loud)

tkdrobert said:
    Drip said:

I'm quite happy, seeing how many people turn out to have a Genesis 2 character as their favourite. That would suggest there's more people who like the more stylized "non-realistic" figures than some recurring posts on these forums would make us believe. (Given the popularity of Mousso and FWSA figures for G8, that was already obvious, just never really spoken out loud)

My favorite men and women models are all G2, no contest.

Great!  I think you both will like this then!

Drip said:

tkdrobert said:
    Drip said:

My favorite men and women models are all G2, no contest.

Great!  I think you both will like this then!

edited March 2020
    Hylas said:

Oh, awesome! Looks like this one can handle more extreme morphs as we, which is great!

It does well.  However, something like the Minotaur and the Reptilian do not work (probably because of the significantly less polygons as well as the extreme morphs).

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

I do like this a lot, but V4-G8F is the one I am really looking for. ;)

Maybe someday.  Depending on sales, and depending on if I can figure it out smiley

inquire said:

Will there be a male counterpart to this? Going from G2 Male to G8 Male? And, if so, will this work if the G2 Male was brought in using the conveters that allow M4 to Genesis 1, and Genesis 1 to Genesis 2? That is, will it work without messing up the morphs and distorting the resulting G8 Male figure? Just wondering if something like this is planned.

Yes, there will be a G2M to G8M.  I do not use any of GenX2 so I don't know if it will work.  Theoretically, it should though a copy of a copy is never going to be as good as the original.

Llynara said:
    inquire said:

I second this! I would LOVE to see something come out for G2M. I still use that generation quite a bit. Would love to bring the guys forward to G8! 

Then you should be happy.  It is coming... smiley

edited March 2020
    evacyn said:

I finally got a chance to test it out, and it's great! My first test subject was Ninive, although it took 58mins (!) to convert, I think she turned out quite well.

The only issue I came across was how long it took to apply UVs using the Legacy UVs product. Typically, it only takes 30 seconds tops, but it was 5+ minutes for me before they appeared. Intitially I thought Daz crashed, but it was just a really long process.

Here's a quick test image - I'm using Legacy UVs with Altern8 (I usually use NGS2, but the manual script doesn't seem to work for me anymore).

Thank you so much for sharing!  It looks just like her with the materials!

For comparison, on my system, I7 8700 with 32 GB RAM, 2080TI, it took around 6 minutes.

Brugan said:

Hi RiverSoft!

Just curious, how did you get Callie 6 to transfer so nicely? I've tried 2 times now (once on default tolerance and once on .09 tolerance (took 2 1/2 hours) and both times her eyes stretched vertically. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Huh.  You are using the 2020 method in options?  Make sure Hide Eyes is UNCHECKED.  Close DS, delete the FHM morph, restart DS and the script and immediately convert Callie.  Weirdly, I have gotten different results running twice.

Brugan said:

Hi RiverSoft!

Huh.  You are using the 2020 method in options?  Make sure Hide Eyes is UNCHECKED.  Close DS, delete the FHM morph, restart DS and the script and immediately convert Callie.  Weirdly, I have gotten different results running twice.

Got a much better result with that and turning down tolerance to .045. Will backup this copy of the head morph and try a few more times with the tolerance tweaked just to see if there's any change, but it looks really good :)

Thanks RS! :D

edited March 2020
    Brugan said:
    Brugan said:

Hi RiverSoft!

Got a much better result with that and turning down tolerance to .045. Will backup this copy of the head morph and try a few more times with the tolerance tweaked just to see if there's any change, but it looks really good :)

Thanks RS! :D

Great!  You are welcome!  Please post pics.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

What do the different method options mean? The Legacy, 2019, and 2020, what is the difference? Are there reasons to use the older ones?

What do the different method options mean? The Legacy, 2019, and 2020, what is the difference? Are there reasons to use the older ones?

The Legacy method is the original G3F to G8F process.  The 2019 method was the improved G3F to G8F process.  The 2020 method is the process developed specifically for G2F to G8F.  From the manual:

• The Conversion Process radio group defines which conversion method to use when converting morphs.  It is highly recommended to use the 2020 conversion method, as it gives the best results.  The other two methods are provided for compatibility with the Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 conversion scripts, and for edge cases that might be better served by their processes.
      • Original Method (Legacy) – Turn the Tolerance slider way down (e.g., 0.005 or less) for this method.  The Hide Eyes checkbox should not be checked.
      • 2019 Method - The Hide Eyes checkbox should be checked with this option.  Lower tolerances are helpful.
      • 2020 Method - The Hide Eyes checkbox should not be checked.  Lower tolerances are helpful.
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

I am a bit worried about the compute times people have posted. I have a 1080ti, but my i5 4690 is really starting to show its age these days. I assume the process is all on CPU. I have converted some characters with other methods, but I would like a more accurate one. I have also converted a number of skins to G8 with Texture Transformer, so my textures are ready to go.

BTW you should put a link to the store page in your first post. This way users of the Daz Browser Add On will find the link to this thread directly on the store page without needing to find it.

I am a bit worried about the compute times people have posted. I have a 1080ti, but my i5 4690 is really starting to show its age these days. I assume the process is all on CPU. I have converted some characters with other methods, but I would like a more accurate one. I have also converted a number of skins to G8 with Texture Transformer, so my textures are ready to go.

BTW you should put a link to the store page in your first post. This way users of the Daz Browser Add On will find the link to this thread directly on the store page without needing to find it.

I am surprised at some of the run-times. I do not see those.  There is something interfering with the script.

Thanks for the tip.  I will do that.

I am surprised at some of the run-times. I do not see those.  There is something interfering with the script.

I have twin 1080tis and a Ryzen 5 3600 and the conversion took 58 mins. Not sure if it matters that I have a lot of Gen8 morphs?

evacyn said:

I have twin 1080tis and a Ryzen 5 3600 and the conversion took 58 mins. Not sure if it matters that I have a lot of Gen8 morphs?

Yes, lots of Gen8 morphs matter.  When I am testing, I remove all the conversion morphs I have made from data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs and testing speeds up significantly.  

Here's my second attempt - Belle. 

It worked out much faster - 16 minutes for the full conversion, and it took less than 2 minutes to apply the Legacy UVs.

@Riversoft - I tried converting Aiko 6 using both the 2019 and 2020 methods, and both times the final form is just the Genesis 8 base female. As you can see above, Ninive and Belle had no issues. I'll try another character now to see if there are any other issues.

edited March 2020

No luck with Aiko 6, but I was able to convert Jessaii's Catrina (I used NGS 2 and the eyes are from Maxx HD).

Post edited by evacyn on
    edited March 2020

Callie 6 conversion. (detailed just in case it helps someone else :) )

I re-converted just the head last night at .03 tolerance and it came out really nice, however the eyes wouldn't close completely (I suspected this was to be expected with Callie's huge eyes) and her lacrimals (inner corners of the eyelids) wouldn't close at all, so I thought I'd backup my current conversion files and re-run the whole figure at .2.

(Note: my original full body conversion was at .06 default tolerance)

Fingernails were alos good, but her lower arms were a bit thicker, and torso detail wasn't as sharp as I'd like, so I wanted a tighter conversion pass anyways. :)

(NOTE: deleting or removing the old CONVERTED files makes re-conversion a LOT faster, apparently rewriting the previous files takes a VERY long time, so taking a few minutes to hunt down and delete the files literally saves 1-2 hours of conversion time, a fresh conversion takes about 15 minutes at .2 tolerance on an i5 intel chipset.)

Process:
    Removed and backed-up Callie 8 files (just in case, I've since deleted the old results :) )
    (NOTE: Callie 8 will be found under DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs\3D Universe,DAZ 3D,Heysun Oh\Callie 6, NOT regular DAZ 3D characters)
    Re-ran Callie6 completely at .02 tolerance (15 mins-ish)
    Closed Studio and reopened
    Loaded Callie 8 into a new scene

Results:
    Lower arms and torso detail identical to G2 Callie, fingernails perfect and react well with 3rd party morphs that I tested.
    Face is spot-on. Eyes are nice round globes, no signifigant distortion except a tiny amount of vertical stretch in the iris, but not enough that you'd notice unless you really blew up her eyes and looked for it as I did.
    Body reacts very well to poses.
    Face takes G8F expressions very well, better than I expected especially around the mouth and brow. Eyes are a little tricky as they won't close completely with a normal G8F pose, but you can close them by cranking "eyes closed" to 125% with no trouble.
    Her eyelid shape was greatly improved by the .02 tolerance and her lacrimals now close naturally with the rest of her eyelids (when increasing "eyes closed" slider).
    I'm not positive, but it at least "feels" like the .02 tolerance complete re-conversion improved JCM's.

Material recommendations:
    Callies materials won't work unless you create a custom UV, and I'm not aware of this UV being available here or elsewhere, and I suck at UVs so I tried several different character mats discussed below.

3DU Page looks fantastic, unfortunately there's no make-up options with the figure so you'll have to use a makeup kit. NO eyeliner issue on this mat set at all.

Aiko 8 also looks very good, you will need to create a copy of her face mat and
    alter her "eyeliner" area due to Callie's eyelid shape (discussed below)

Sakura 8 looks good, but it's a lot of extra work to get the eyes working. Expect to spend some time getting her mats to work if you haven't done it before. Will have eyeliner issue.

Tess from Maelwenn also looked REALLY nice on Callie, and as a bonus had no detectable eyeliner issues.

Lara from Thorne looks very nice, very minor eyeliner issue.

Girl 7 for Girl 8: This is probably the closest mat set to Callie's original set, and will work on G8 without issues (you may need to reset the UV to "Base" in the surface tab), however it has a pretty pronounced eyeliner issue that is easy enough to fix. (see below)

Eyeliner issues:
    Callie has unusual eyelids, and the eyelash graft will be far from the edge no matter how many times you try to re-convert her. The original figure has this shape, so you're not getting rid of it without some modeling expertise.
    It's an easy fix though. Simply open the face map you are using in an image editor (SAVE AS AN ALTERNATE NAME so you don't accidentally overwrite the actual map like I did :| ) and black or brown out the tiny gap between the upper and lower "eyeliner" in the image. I did this for the Girl7 for Girl8 mats and it looks perfect.

I'm really excited to finally have a good G8 version of this character, since she came out at the tail end of the G2/pre-iray era. I've run a few test renders with her and think I'm going to have a lot of fun with Callie (finally :D )

Post edited by Brugan on
  • First try with "Belle 6" with 2020 method. Result had basically no neck. Did not alter anything. Ideas?

evacyn said:

Here's my second attempt - Belle. 

It worked out much faster - 16 minutes for the full conversion, and it took less than 2 minutes to apply the Legacy UVs.

Oooo, she came out beautiful!  Thank you for sharing!

evacyn said:

@Riversoft - I tried converting Aiko 6 using both the 2019 and 2020 methods, and both times the final form is just the Genesis 8 base female. As you can see above, Ninive and Belle had no issues. I'll try another character now to see if there are any other issues.

I have a feeling the log will show that the script was unable to update the character file.  If you load Ninive/Belle for G8F and look for the morphs, are they there and can be dialed up?

evacyn said:

No luck with Aiko 6, but I was able to convert Jessaii's Catrina (I used NGS 2 and the eyes are from Maxx HD).

Very beautiful!