The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128

No good deed goes unpunished.

I made an online donation with my credit card on "Giving Tuesday."  Was one of those matching programs and the cause was good.

Fraudulent transactions attempted to go through my account shortly thereafter, and my bank has shut down my card.

As stated very clearly in Planet of the Apes, 'Its a Mad House, a Mad House!"

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

Non-complaint:  The blizzard never came.  Oh yes, we got about 6 inches of snow, but the winds never got very high.  We lucked out on this one.  Unlike points only a few tens of miles west and north of us.  I think the hills along the eastern shore of Lake Erie saved us by keeping the warmer air coming from the south on our side and the winds from the northwest on the lake side.  (*End weather analysis*)

'Nother non-complaint:  Wheee... I broke down and ordered a new 10 inch glass frying pan lid for my spiffy new frying pan.  Yay!smiley  It's not the exact lid that matches exactly all the others but the only thing different is that it doesn't have the company name etched into the glass.  Only I will notice.  Not that it really matters because nobody ever visits me anyway.  Much less, wander through my kitchen or watch me cook.  And in the grand scheme of things nothing matters anyway.  The whole Universe is a zero sum game.indecision

Complaint:  My trusty wire cheese slicer that I've had for years and years, finally broke its wire.sad  Ordered a new cheese slicer along with the glass pan lid.  This one is a high quality implement of destruction and this one comes with spare wires (which will probably outlive me, if I don't lose them first).  Yay for Amazon.yes  When I was a kid in the '50s & '60s we ordered all sorts of things from the Sears Roebuck catalog.  Then in the '70s, '80s, '90s, ... we got used to driving everywhere for anything at all.  No matter how small.  Now it's come full circle and we're back to ordering things from catalogs.

Yet another non-complaint:  Along with the cheese slicer and pan lid, I ordered some microwave popcorn for those cold blizzardy nights to come.  Although I may have gone overboard.  I couldn't resist the bargain of 72 mini-bags of Orville Redenbocker lite buttered popcorn.surprise  Oh, well.  I at least I'll have something cheap to gift to others for the season.enlightened And it goes along well with the several 1-pound cans of hot chocolate mix I purchased earlier from the local grocery store.  Mmmm... popcorn and hot chocolate.smiley

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

if you've ever wondered what a double bass is

rethinking the oatmeal.  i'm not a fan of the avocado or guacomole

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

update on my noisy computer fan: I think the ball bearins in my case fan are going bad.  I'm looking for a replacement fan now.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180
    Mystiarra said:
    TJohn said:

Thought oatmeal was mostly fiber. (shrug)

I thought an untruthful person was a fiber.surprise

is undigestible when it doesnt change form during the digestive process

Fiber in amounts at least 5 grams and above help fight sugar!  So, don't knock it!  Try it!  Dave's Killer Breads 21 Whole Grains and Seeds has 5 grams of fiber in one slice!  Hearty, tastes good, and good for you!

Dana

• update on my noisy computer fan: I think the ball bearins in my case fan are going bad.  I'm looking for a replacement fan now.

Always a bad sign when your balls are noisy.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

update on my noisy computer fan: I think the ball bearins in my case fan are going bad.  I'm looking for a replacement fan now.

Always a bad sign when your balls are noisy.

noisy 's a pain, but as long as they're festive...

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    TheKD said:
    Rezca said:

Have my Wacom drivers uninstalled right now while we try further troubleshooting to see if these mystery crashes are related to a recent problem some programs have been having with them.  If it is, then great I can work again - but would need to try and find a driver that doesn't have these problems (or wait for Wacom to update them).  If it isn't, then hnnn more mucking around trying to find the solution.

Do you use virtualbox at all? I ran into a weird issue, if using wacom, at the same time as virtualbox, it just keeps eating more and more and more RAM until it crashed.

Nah, don't have that installed.  The problem's only happening with the latest version of Cinema4D, and Support's said that this has been an issue recently for people that had Wacom drivers installed.  I uninstalled them and "So far, so good"  but I don't want to start betting on it being suddenly solved just yet.  I remember that the original problem was "Program hangs for a few seconds, then closes with no warning or crashlog"  until I disabled the High-Res Tablet option in Cinema's preferences at their Support's suggestion.  Now it hangs indefinitely when it decides to go under, but I can force-quit it with Shift-Shift-Delete which *does* produce a crashlog.   Steps to finding a solution!

It's been narrowed down to likely being the recent Wacom problem, which I may end up needing to take up with them.  But it does mean I'll either be unable to work on drawings for a while or I'll need to go trying older drivers one by one until I find one that doesn't mess with Cinema.

edited December 2020

A Ponderable:  How big would the Amazon catalog be if it were published on paper like the Sears Roebuck catalog was?  Can you imagine trying to thumb through it?  Or even find anything in the index.surprise

But a benefit to such a catalog would be that just one copy would provide enough TP for your outhouse for a lifetime.yes  Just have a forklift drop it off next to the shanty and provide an armhole to reach through to grab the next page.indecision

Postal delivery of it would be a bitch though.

But even the Sears catalog was hefty enough to be used to kill medium sized rodents.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    Diomede said:

I made an online donation with my credit card on "Giving Tuesday."  Was one of those matching programs and the cause was good.

Fraudulent transactions attempted to go through my account shortly thereafter, and my bank has shut down my card.

...this is part of why I never make donations online and why I limit my online shopping as well.   Hackers come out of the woodwork to prey on big events like this and major holidays..

BTW, I received a total of 674 emails yesterday relating to Giving Tuesday (filtered and rerouted them to a different inbox). If I donated just 1$ to each, I'd pretty much be broke, and like yourself, would likely have my account compromised several times over.

edited December 2020
    DanaTA said:
    Mystiarra said:
    TJohn said:

Fiber in amounts at least 5 grams and above help fight sugar!  So, don't knock it!  Try it!  Dave's Killer Breads 21 Whole Grains and Seeds has 5 grams of fiber in one slice!  Hearty, tastes good, and good for you!

Dana

...I usually either have shredded wheat (the unfrosted variety) or rolled oats for brekkie (neither have any added sugars).  Indeed a good means of keeping blood sugar in check as well as maintaining the digestive system.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Mystiarra said:
    TJohn said:

Dana

...I usually either have shredded wheat (the unfrosted variety) or rolled oats for brekkie (neither have any added sugars).  Indeed a good means of keeping blood sugar in check as well as maintaining the digestive system.

My cereal consist of:

1) Grape Nuts (w /honey & just enough hot water to make it malleable*, like oatmeal)

2) Wheaties w/ milk (no honey or sugar)

3) Raisin Bran w/ milk (no honey or sugar)

4) Quaker Instant Oatmeal w/ honey & water.  Microwaved and add dash of milk.

#s 1, 2 & 3 have become hard to find.   I have to go to the big grocery markets to find them.   I've recently taken to getting them from Amazon.  Unfortunately, last time I ordered Grape Nuts, I didn't pay attention to the box size and received a 4 pound box the size & weight of a 500 sheet ream of legal-size paper.frown  I've been eating lots of Grape Nuts lately.

Edited to make it "malleable".  Freudian slips not withstanding.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Unnecessary info: Grape Nuts cereal contains neither grapes nor nuts. 

There are grapes in Raisin Bran though.

kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Mystiarra said:
    TJohn said:

Dana

My cereal consist of:

1) Grape Nuts (w /honey & just enough hot water to make it maleable, like oatmeal)

2) Wheaties w/ milk (no honey or sugar)

3) Raisin Bran w/ milk (no honey or sugar)

4) Quaker Instant Oatmeal w/ honey & water.  Microwaved and add dash of milk.

#s 1, 2 & 3 have become hard to find.   I have to go to the big grocery markets to find them.   I've recently taken to getting them from Amazon.  Unfortunately, last time I ordered Grape Nuts, I didn't pay attention to the box size and received a 4 pound box the size & weight of a 500 sheet ream of legal-size paper.frown  I've been eating lots of Grape Nuts lately.

...had to quit Grape Nuts as they were getting to hard for my aging teeth (actually chipped a tooth on them one morning and that was the end of that). 

Used to love Wheates until the price went up to nearly 5$ for a box (I remember when it was one of the cheaper cereals on the shelf). 

Still like raisin bran, but I usually get the store brand variety as it's about half the price and has less added sugar than the major brands.

Winter of course is time for rolled oats, I get the traditional "old fashioned" kind usually in the organic foods bulk section (I have a 4L container with a lid I keep them in I picked up at the local restraint supply store nearby).  Never liked the instant kind as they seem like watery mush in comparison.

edited December 2020

TJohn said:

Unnecessary info: Grape Nuts cereal contains neither grapes nor nuts. 

There are grapes in Raisin Bran though.

...kind of like Apple Jacks™ which had nothign to do with apples.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 2020

Complaint:  My ride to the dentist this morning called last night and said they were both sick with sore throats.  It's nice that they warned me.  But now I have to take an Uber both ways at about $20 each way. crying  Plus more If I want to do anything while in the city because the dentist is too far for me to walk to anything.  I considered cancelling my appointment but I really need to have my teeth cleaned again.  It's been at least a year.  It's also time (3 years) for a full set of X-Rays ($$$).  (*sigh*) there goes this month's budget.

Edited to add:  Dentist visit went OK.  Uber dropped me off 25 minutes early.  Haven't been to dentist in15 months.  Long time to clean the tartar off.  No new cavities.  X-Ray machine is now digital and is one single 360 degree swing around my head and I don't have to bite on those $@%#$#@#$# X-Ray films in my mouth.  Yay!  Also discovered that the dentist has remodeled his waiting room area to accomodate Covid issues.  New entrance, new furniture, no magazines, no plants, no rugs.  Masks and alcohol hand juice mandatory before you can enter.  Also discovered it's been 6 years (not 3) since my last X-Rays!surprise

Uber trip up was great.  Clean car, personable driver.  Rating & tip yes  But on the way back home not so great.  Car interior was dirty and smelled heavily of cigarette smoke.  His rating and tip reflect my disappointment.no  Probably an ex local taxi driver.  Taxis around here suck royal swamp water.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903
    kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Mystiarra said:
    TJohn said:

Dana

1) Grape Nuts (w /honey & just enough hot water to make it maleable, like oatmeal)

edited December 2020

OK, OK, "malleable"  Simple spelling error, not Freudian slip.cheeky  Although "maleable" could be a useful word.devil  And of course there is "mailable" with no hidden meaning or psychological implications.indecision

...I read it as "malleable", but then, I'm also dyslexic. 

complaint  tater tots ruined the finish on my nonstick pan. was part of a set, cant replace it

the lil drummer boy isnt a bible story afaik, who wrote it?

edited December 2020
    Mystiarra said:

complaint  tater tots ruined the finish on my nonstick pan. was part of a set, cant replace it

Ceramic or Teflon?  If Teflon, throw it away.indecision  If ceramic, then a bit of recovery is possible with light scrubbing with a plastic mesh dish scrubber.enlightened But it will never be the same.  Although, I've sometimes wondered if ceramic pans might be slickified again by using a fine metal polishing paste or polishing paste used for grinding telescope lenses.  Hmmm...

For my pans I never cook without a little bit of vegetable oil in the pan for anything being fried or reheated even with non-stick ceramic pans.  I never use high heat.  But even then, after time, enough microscratches accumulate to make any fry pan lose it's stick.  Burning the pan hurries that up by 1000.  I'm on my third 10 inch ceramic fry pan in my 10 year old set.  All the other pans in the set are either pots containing liquids or small pans that rarely see heavy use, or larger fry pans that get used only infrequently and none of them have ever been burned.  They're all in fine condition and still a joy to work with.

The first time my 10" covered fry pan wore out (#1) I was able to buy another identical pan (#2) and separately purchase the identical glass lid.  I threw away the original pan & lid.  Then a year or two later when I saw that the 2nd pan was starting to wear out I bought another pan just in case the manufacturer stopped making that style, but the lid was no longer available so I kept lid #2.  A few weeks ago I burned my 2nd pan for the 2nd time and that did it in.  But now the pan and glass lid were nearly 4 years old and the glass lid has an interior coating of yellowed baked on grease and rust & debris visible between the glass and the metal rim (ugly).  I dug out my spare pan (#3) yay!  But had to continue to use ugly lid #2.  I looked and looked in stores and on the Internet but I finally found a non-branded glass lid almost exactly identical to the original and it arrives in the mail today.  Yay!smiley

My biggest problem was making salmon patties.  I used to just mix up the mash (can of salmon, 2 eggs, flour) and spread it out along the full bottom of the 10 inch pan, then when half done I'd cut it into chunks and flip the chunks to finish cooking.  I'd put oil on the pan first but the big slab of mash apparently would squoosh the oil out from the center and the patty would stick onto my pan.  It took me 7 years to learn that.  But I've finally learned to use my liquid vegetable oil (never Pam!!!) and put smaller dabs of salmon mash onto the pan to make 3 patties at a time, instead of one big one.  Yeah, it takes longer to make two batches of small patties instead of just the single big one but the oil has an easier time of getting under the smaller patties to keep from sticking onto the pan.

Those commercials where they show an egg being fried without oil on a pan don't tell you that the pan loses that ability after three times!frown

If you absolutely have to have high heat then get a cast iron skillet and become its maintenance slave.

ir's ceramic  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GWNZ77D

i find the inside white lets me see the food in it.  i can see the shape outline.

problem is i cant see when the meat is browned and ready for flip

Diomede said:

i get sucked into the toys for tots every year. smiley

i nneed a new tea cozy for my brown betty

• Mystiarra said:

Katherine Kennicott Davis -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Drummer_Boy

...if you are reasonably careful maintenance of well seasoned Cast Iron cookware is not all that tough  I've had one for over three decades that I never had to strip down to the metal and re-season.  an occasional rubbing in for a bit of oil (usually every week or two depending on amount of use) keeps the surface protected. 

I personally don't like using plastic utensils (which are necessary for coated cookware) when heat, as for safe cooking, is involved.   The rest of my cookware (saucepans & larger pots) is stainless steel and I have a carbon steel Wok. Baking sheets & pans are steel as well, save for a glass dish for baking fish and foods like lasagne in.  No aluminium, no Teflon™, no Silverstone™, or other "wonder" no stick coatings.

Grew up when Teflon™ was the big thing and feel that was enough ingesting toxic chemicals for one lifetime.

Charlie Judge said:

tKatherine Kennicott Davis -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Drummer_Boy

thanks.  read was based on an old czeck carol of the drums. carol of the   bells is real old too

need me some old irish magiic to warm my bones.  shivering is putting aches in my back muscles.  an old irish friend named jameson

This discussion has been closed.