The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

yikes, snow is in forcast.  i need to hoard oatmeal

•  Promethius was the brother of Epimethius.  Sons of Iapetus.  Grandsons of Uranus and Gaia.  The names Pro-methius and Epi-methius translate to "forethought" and "afterthought"  or forethinker & afterthinker and figuratively mean clever & foolish respectively.   Promethius is known as the one who stole fire from the gods and gave it to man, but was punished by the gods by being tied to a rock and having his eyes eternally pecked out by an Eagle.  Whereas Epimethius is the one who convinced Pandora to open the secret box given her by Zeus, letting loose the bad things it contained.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    Mystiarra said:

yikes, snow is in forcast.  i need to hoard oatmeal

...no snow here (yet) but lots of cold wet days ahead. I have a 4 litre (dry measure) container for rolled oats (well, about a third of it left). I buy mine in bulk at one of the neighbourhood markets.
  • It's going to be 81 here on Monday.  But the nights are cool and I love my warm waterbed.  When it's chilly in the morning, it's very hard to get out of bed, even if it's to run straight into a warm shower.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

the U.S. postal service is so slow.  My package has been in California for 5 weekdays now.

...I would mention one possibility but it may step beyond TOS bounds.
    edited December 2020

...ugh, more phone frustrations. Seems that while I am entering a post or reply here on the forums or entering a coupon code at checkout in the store, the keypad on the screen simply disappears for no apparent reason. I sometimes have to tap the screen muliltiple times to get it to reappear. At times I can barely get started before it happens again (it's occured about a dozen and a half times just in this post alone).

It doesn't happen when I'm writing emails, during messaging or chat, using form fills, commenting on social media, etc, only here.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

Subtropic Pixel said:

It's going to be 81 here on Monday.  But the nights are cool and I love my warm waterbed.  When it's chilly in the morning, it's very hard to get out of bed, even if it's to run straight into a warm shower.

Complaint:  (*sigh*) I no longer have a waterbed, now that I need one.sad  I had a waterbed from '72 through '02.  Thirty years of luxurious supporting firm softness.  My first waterbed (when I was a poor college student) lay directly on a concrete pad in Florida and in the winter Florida can get cold so there were some nights I had to put 3 blankets under me to not feel like I was bedding a cadaver when I jumped (fell) in.  Later in more prosperous times I got a proper bed raised on a wooden platform and had a heater.yes  Ah, warm bed when needed in the winter.  Cool bed in the summer.smiley

Now I live in an old wooden house in the north and my bedroom floor already sags so a waterbed is out of the question.  Regular mattresses give me pressure point pains on my deteriorating old skin.  But the electric blanket is still a luxury I hope I never have to give it up.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

theres no panic quite like the panic of wifi being down

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I'm looking for a screwdriver so that I can install my new case fan.  The local hardware store doesn't deliver/ship the screwdriver that I want.  Looks like I need to pick another screwdriver.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

starionwolf said:

I'm looking for a screwdriver so that I can install my new case fan.  The local hardware store doesn't deliver/ship the screwdriver that I want.  Looks like I need to pick another screwdriver.

Hopefully you're not permanently screwed

remember the show soap, with chuck and bob?

the series ended abruptly, never found out if Jody (billy crystal) found his daughter.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited December 2020

Now the forum is deleting my drafts.

The other day I was writing something and put my iPad down to answer the phone, when I came back a different window was open (not the text box at the bottom of the thread, an entirely different page where the text box was the only thing there... like how some sites open a different page for a post), and what I wrote was gone... that's happened a couple of times since, especially with quotes and now it happened again.

I guess if I want to write something I should just do it in Notes and paste it into the forum's text box.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Complaint:  Arghhh... Now my wired keyboard on my ailing computer is only partially working.  Luckily I have a 2nd wired keyboard attached (my Russian Cyrillic keyboard) and it works.  

I removed the bad keyboard and tested it on another computer and it works perfectly. (*sigh*)  So, what does that still imply?  Bad USB circuits?  Bad memory?  Bad hard drive or SSD?  Bad motherboard?

For a while I thought that perhaps the bad keyboard was blathering to the computer and causing my spontaneous reboots.  But no, of course not.  Because after I removed it, and started using only the Russian keyboard I got another reboot.  Arghhh...

For a while I thought that perhaps the reboot problem was being triggered by video usage on news websites, but no, of course not because I've now had reboots while not using the web browser or  video.  (*sigh*) 

In summary, I have not whittled down the problem at all.  Arghhh...  And still can't find a new graphics card that will work with my existing 10 year old motherboard.  

I may have to either move all my daily stuff over to my spiffy new DAZ machine or onto one of my ancient underpowered emergency machines, or buy a new motherboard/memory/graphics card and try to shoehorn it in without having to reinstall everything or relicense my Win10-Pro

I guess it's possible that my power supply is the culprit but it's a high quality 500w supply and quite new.

Sigh, 1st world problems.

whine - Fs dropping to 20s tnight.  snow is a 4 letter word.  dont know wheee i put my hat abd gloves last year.  hard to search for anything, eyes foggy

not too early in the day for a nip of fireball

McGyver said:

Now the forum is deleting my drafts.

The other day I was writing something and put my iPad down to answer the phone, when I came back a different window was open (not the text box at the bottom of the thread, an entirely different page where the text box was the only thing there... like how some sites open a different page for a post), and what I wrote was gone... that's happened a couple of times since, especially with quotes and now it happened again.

I guess if I want to write something I should just do it in Notes and paste it into the forum's text box.

was it news of the hamster syndicate? 

are you feelin the christmas mojo yet?  9 days

hearing rumours of another shutdown before new years, in NY
    please say it aint so
    will be miserable without IHOP homefries

is there enough toilet paper for another shutdown?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128

Mystiarra said:

is there enough toilet paper for another shutdown?

Better stock up.  https://sharecg.com/v/95559/gallery/5/3D-Model/Toilet-Paper-in-Daz-Studio-format

tp sharecg.jpg
    437 x 453 - 12K
  • LeatherGryphon said:

Promethius was the brother of Epimethius.  Sons of Iapetus.  Grandsons of Uranus and Gaia.  The names Pro-methius and Epi-methius translate to "forethought" and "afterthought"  or forethinker & afterthinker and figuratively mean clever & foolish respectively.   Promethius is known as the one who stole fire from the gods and gave it to man, but was punished by the gods by being tied to a rock and having his eyes eternally pecked out by an Eagle.  Whereas Epimethius is the one who convinced Pandora to open the secret box given her by Zeus, letting loose the bad things it contained.

It was his liver that was eaten by the eagle.

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh... Now my wired keyboard on my ailing computer is only partially working.  Luckily I have a 2nd wired keyboard attached (my Russian Cyrillic keyboard) and it works.  

I removed the bad keyboard and tested it on another computer and it works perfectly. (*sigh*)  So, what does that still imply?  Bad USB circuits?  Bad memory?  Bad hard drive or SSD?  Bad motherboard?

For a while I thought that perhaps the bad keyboard was blathering to the computer and causing my spontaneous reboots.  But no, of course not.  Because after I removed it, and started using only the Russian keyboard I got another reboot.  Arghhh...

For a while I thought that perhaps the reboot problem was being triggered by video usage on news websites, but no, of course not because I've now had reboots while not using the web browser or  video.  (*sigh*) 

In summary, I have not whittled down the problem at all.  Arghhh...  And still can't find a new graphics card that will work with my existing 10 year old motherboard.  

I may have to either move all my daily stuff over to my spiffy new DAZ machine or onto one of my ancient underpowered emergency machines, or buy a new motherboard/memory/graphics card and try to shoehorn it in without having to reinstall everything or relicense my Win10-Pro

I guess it's possible that my power supply is the culprit but it's a high quality 500w supply and quite new.

Sigh, 1st world problems.

...seems the front panel USB ports on my system are getting flaky.  as the mouse I have plugged into one keeps cutting out.  the cord's too short to reach toe the back of the system so that is why I have to plug it into one of the front ones.  When I insert a USB stick in wither one of these slots there are times it won't read and I have to remove and insert it a couple times to get it to work. Ah the joys of older tech.

Oh yeah, the new PSU arrived yesterday Installed and wired it up, ran a few tests to make sure no other components were affected by the old one failing,  As it is a modular one only had to install the cables I needed, so no Cthulhu-esque mass of cables (a number of which were not used) cluttering up the case interior.  Had to remove one of the 7 fans (only one accessory cable) as well as download a new driver from Nvidia because the GPU wasn't being recognised. 

Feels good to be using a real keyboard again and not being restricted to that tiny screen which took forever to refresh.sh.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Non-Complaint:  A user in the C4D subforums found a solution to the Python script problem, so I can use the Bridge now wheee!
    Complaint:  But most of the products I've exported don't function correctly (In each case, their jaws for some reason)  and none of the DUFF-era content load with Pose Morphs at all.   I can solve the former by re-rigging and the latter by doing a number of exports then setting up the Pose Morphs myself,  but I don't know much about rigging :/

• kyoto kid said:

...I would mention one possibility but it may step beyond TOS bounds.

Just refer to it as an "e-eye-e-eye-oh" and you can write about anything you want.

The first thing I do in the morning is wash my e-eye-e-eye-oh.  Oh, and I never leave house without my e-eye-e-eye-oh.  And before I go to bed at night, I always thank my e-eye-e-eye-oh.  And Bingo was his name-oh.

See, easy!  wink

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Mm just took a look at one of Dinoraul's  critters. Seems the weights on the jaw are extending up onto the head. Simple fix so it just means a little touching up, and then a whole lot of exporting for Pose Morphs xD
    If I could figure out how to get Spline IK's to work properly that'd be great, on a semi-related note.

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Promethius was the brother of Epimethius.  Sons of Iapetus.  Grandsons of Uranus and Gaia.  The names Pro-methius and Epi-methius translate to "forethought" and "afterthought"  or forethinker & afterthinker and figuratively mean clever & foolish respectively.   Promethius is known as the one who stole fire from the gods and gave it to man, but was punished by the gods by being tied to a rock and having his eyes eternally pecked out by an Eagle.  Whereas Epimethius is the one who convinced Pandora to open the secret box given her by Zeus, letting loose the bad things it contained.

seems  a lot of those old names ended in 's'

started binge watching hercules.  ares was a hottie

edited December 2020

LeatherGryphon said:

Yeah, I remember now.  But also, it depends on who's telling the multi-milleniums old tale.  And how old the brain is that's trying to recall the tale.

It's hard to remember all those terrible punishments met out by the old gods and who got which punishment.  So many punishments, so little record keeping.  Why are the gods so sadistically vengeful?  If we're not careful we'll pick up some of their behavior.indecision

edited December 2020

Complaining Non-complaint:  Arghhh... I've got to make a decision about this flaky computer soon.  The crashes are coming more frequently.  I tried running the system diagnostics from boot level but they won't run, and haven't run since I cloned over the system from my original HD to my new SSD.  Apparently something about the recovery partition being absent.frown  Nor can I make a recovery CD or thumbdrive, for the same reason.frown  I've ordered a $10 recovery disk through NewEgg and will try that before commiting more $$$ to this system.

My options are replace the version3 i5, micro-ATX motherboard, graphics card, CPU and Memory with modern version 8 or 9 i5 stuff,  (~$600) or

Buy a new off-the-shelf system. (~$500) ("renewed" version 6 i5 systems), or

Start gathering enough equipment for a full ATX motherboard, big new case, modern version 8 or 9 or 10 i5 or i7 CPU, cooler, memory, powersupply, etc. to build an even bigger DAZzing machine than the one I already have (!$1600+), and move my DAZ stuff to the new machine and relegate my (really nice) current DAZ machine to being my daily personal system.  Yeah, right!  That ain't gonna fit in this year's budget.sad

The problem is I have two internal 5.25 (DVD & Blu-Ray) drives in this system, and I actually use them.  But modern cases don't have internal cages for them.frown

I could probably get away without a new graphics card if I chose my motherboard and CPU properly (I don't use this system for DAZ stuff.)

Or I could bite the bullet and merge my daily personal stuff into my existing DAZ machine but that would require physical changes to my workarea layout, new cables, reorganization of external drive farm, etc.frown

I wish I could find out what is exactly wrong with this sytem and why it keeps rebooting.

Note: The system rebooted twice during the creation of this post.  But apparently non-destructively.  Yay for small miracles.indecision

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

LeatherGryphon said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Yeah, I remember now.  But also, it depends on who's telling the multi-milleniums old tale.  And how old the brain is that's trying to recall the tale.

Also, eating out Prometheus' eyes would be a more thematically appropriate punishment.

It's hard to remember all those terrible punishments met out by the old gods and who got which punishment.  So many punishments, so little record keeping.  Why are the gods so vengeful?  If we're not careful we'll pick up some of their behavior.indecision

Uhh....

i'm a static monster today

zzzzwapppp  its not the volts that kill ya, its the amps

This discussion has been closed.