The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

kyoto kid said:

...if you are reasonably careful maintenance of well seasoned Cast Iron cookware is not all that tough  I've had one for over three decades that I never had to strip down to the metal and re-season.  an occasional rubbing in for a bit of oil (usually every week or two depending on amount of use) keeps the surface protected. 

I personally don't like using plastic utensils (which are necessary for coated cookware) when heat, as for safe cooking, is involved.   The rest of my cookware (saucepans & larger pots) is stainless steel and I have a carbon steel Wok. Baking sheets & pans are steel as well, save for a glass dish for baking fish and foods like lasagne in.  No aluminium, no Teflon™, no Silverstone™, or other "wonder" no stick coatings.

Grew up when Teflon™ was the big thing and feel that was enough ingesting toxic chemicals for one lifetime.

dunno if an iron skillet can work on an electric stove

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

Mystiarra said:

need me some old irish magiic to warm my bones.  shivering is putting aches in my back muscles.  an old irish friend named jameson

You do realize that booze doesn't really warm you, right?  It will actually thin your blood and it certainly doesn't "warm your bones".  It mostly just dulls your senses, so you don't feel the cold as much.  But people have gone to the hospital for exposure because they drank booze and felt warm, but weren't really warm.  Be careful!

Dana

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

Mystiarra said:

ir's ceramic  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GWNZ77D

i find the inside white lets me see the food in it.  i can see the shape outline.

problem is i cant see when the meat is browned and ready for flip

Oh, OK.  I use "Greenpan" too.  I have a set of their "Lima" design

Link below is to their "Valencia" design.

https://www.amazon.com/GreenPan-Paris-Ceramic-Non-Stick-Cookware/dp/B011UMBD3O/ref=sr_1_15_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=greenpan+lima+set&qid=1607116057&s=home-garden&sr=1-15-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNlRDS1JKT0FGWjYyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzE4MzkzMU8wWEVKMVRQQlkzMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTk2NTMxM0c2T09TRzlLU1hFTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

but I bought various pieces of the Lima design separately over a period of a couple of years.  But what I have now very similar to the pieces shown in their "Valencia" set in the link.  The color of my "Lima" set is also gray, likewise the handles are solid metal but slightly different design, except I have the glass lids instead of metal, but its basically the same set pieces.  I use the big pot quite a lot for chili and spaghetti.  I have a 3rd party big deep frying pan for large casseroles, I use the 12 inch fry pan for oven baked casseroles (the all metal handles on the pans and glass lids makes the "Lima" set oven proof). I use the 1 quart pot for canned soup & boiling water, I use the 2 quart pot for bigger things, and I use a 3rd party 3 quart pot for boiling potatoes.  But the 10 inch Greenpan "Lima" fry pan is the most used item and as I said before, I'm on my third one.  I love these pots & pans.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • DanaTA said:

Mystiarra said:

need me some old irish magiic to warm my bones.  shivering is putting aches in my back muscles.  an old irish friend named jameson

You do realize that booze doesn't really warm you, right?  It will actually thin your blood and it certainly doesn't "warm your bones".  It mostly just dulls your senses, so you don't feel the cold as much.  But people have gone to the hospital for exposure because they drank booze and felt warm, but weren't really warm.  Be careful!

Dana

Also, I think old Irish magic is just ordinary magic that only works on old Irish people.indecision

LeatherGryphon said:

DanaTA said:

Mystiarra said:

Dana

Also, I think old Irish magic is just ordinary magic that only works on old Irish people.indecision

laugh

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

Mystiarra said:

kyoto kid said:

...if you are reasonably careful maintenance of well seasoned Cast Iron cookware is not all that tough  I've had one for over three decades that I never had to strip down to the metal and re-season.  an occasional rubbing in for a bit of oil (usually every week or two depending on amount of use) keeps the surface protected. 

I personally don't like using plastic utensils (which are necessary for coated cookware) when heat, as for safe cooking, is involved.   The rest of my cookware (saucepans & larger pots) is stainless steel and I have a carbon steel Wok. Baking sheets & pans are steel as well, save for a glass dish for baking fish and foods like lasagne in.  No aluminium, no Teflon™, no Silverstone™, or other "wonder" no stick coatings.

Grew up when Teflon™ was the big thing and feel that was enough ingesting toxic chemicals for one lifetime.

dunno if an iron skillet can work on an electric stove

..they actually do as I've been using them since the 1980s and most places I lived ( save or one flat) all had electric stoves.  It does take a certain technique, but it does work without burning food to the surface.  

What I do is ahead of time slowly heat the skillet or griddle up on medium low setting then before I actually start adding whatever  I'm going to cook turn it up to medium heat (rarely go beyond that setting) .  Once whatever is cooking begins "sizzling", Then I turn the element down a bit as the pan will retain heat for a while afterwards (one of the nice features about cast iron).   Also, the stove I have where I live has these new "smart burner" elements which have a cast iron surface that heats evenly and stays warm for a while as well after turning them down or even off.. So effectively, my cast iron cookware is sitting on cast iron heating elements.  

For some types of food (like my curries or cooking up a batch of hotcakes) I use a wok ring (inverted) underneath the skillet or griddle which slightly elevates it above the element.  Granted this means using a higher temperature setting than when the skillet directly on the element but then it's closer to how a gas burner works as the pan is heated by the ambient heat in the space between the cookware and the heating element.

barry's tea is a strong cuppa.  bracing.

dunno how i'm gonna buy christmas cards or wrap gifts

is a cold blustery day.

deciding if tnite is a deadpool night or a dc night.  wonderwoman? or mebbe buffy.

edited December 2020

...my usual brand is Taylor & Harrogate's Yorkshire tea.  Their Gold variety nice and strong while not bitter. Comes in a box of 160 bags (which lasts me about half year) for about 16$.  Difficult to find Barry's in Portland for some reason.  We used to have a nice Irish goods shop just across the river thatdsole it, but they closed several years ago, so only Walmart (eww) carries it here. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

a lil spirit stirring

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

the icons in the upper-right corner of the forums display properly now.  ok, time for me to go to bed.

...well looks like Im dead in the water again. While watching the nightly news there was a loud "snap" and my old system went dead. Petty much sounds like it was the power supply. Doesn't look like anything was fried though not sure there was any feedback to the CPU, memory sticks, or drives

Not what I needed with the likelihood of our state going into total lockdown like southern California did. Also going to be tricky trying to order a new one with the system out

Sending this from my phone which is a real bother. All my passwords for various sites like Newegg ar on the system that is now down.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128
    edited December 2020

Bummer, KK.  Seems like 2020 wants to kick us on its way out.  Hope the password part gets sorted out with the least aggracvation possible.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Minor Complaint (compared to what KK's going through wah, sorry to hear that... :<  ) 
    So I'm painting a model in 3DCoat to use as a drawing reference (and just for the fun of it....)  and when it came time to export the textures I realized that 3DCoat - like the last time I did this - is taking all the UV's and cramming them into a single map.  While it doesn't make a difference in 3DC itself, it results in a major mess at export time.  Every individual material is treated as a separate map (Even though I disabled that option on loading the model)  and so it splits it into L_Eye, R_Eye, Head, Mouth, and Body. 

Complicating things further, I can't just select "Unify UVs" like I did with the Digi-I  T.rex paintover, since this model has two separate maps - the Head (Which includes both eyes and the mouth, obviously) and the Body.  Unifying the UV's still has all the UV's crammed into a single image,  and if I try using 3DC's scaling tools it re-arranges the islands, which is changing the UV's the model has and not something I want to happen.  If I scale it by hand it's likely it won't align very well and create seams (or worse).

I'm not really sure if there's a way to work around this or if I screwed myself from the start by picking (or not picking) the right import options when I began.   Definitely not going to paint the Wyvern 2.0 any time soon in this case.  If 3DC's giving me grief over a two-map  model.... xD  (The wyvern's got what, four?  Body, Head, Wings, and Eyes?)

• kyoto kid said:

...well looks like Im dead in the water again. While watching the nightly news there was a loud "snap" and my old system went dead. Petty much sounds like it was the power supply. Doesn't look like anything was fried though not sure there was any feedback to the CPU, memory sticks, or drives

Not what I needed with the likelihood of our state going into total lockdown like southern California did. Also going to be tricky trying to order a new one with the system out

Sending this from my phone which is a real bother. All my passwords for various sites like Newegg ar on the system that is now down.

Perhaps it was the news that did it in.  Too much stress.

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

Perhaps it was the news that did it in.  Too much stress.

34F outside - my biggest complaint for the day

ia a hot oatmeal morning. bloo berries on top for xtra majik

kyoto kid said:

That's why I use a password manager.  I can log in anywhere on any device that has it.  I had a power supply go dead a couple of weeks ago.  Thankfully, I had the manager plugin on the laptop and was able to continue logging in to sites I normally visit.

Dana

...have one with my AV, but to get to it I have to sign in on the system first so sort of a catch 22.

• Ah yes.  Password management.  Like backups, it's never enough.  For years I have kept a master list of passwords and software keys in an encrypted Excel spreadsheet.  Everytime I assign a new password or change a password or get a new key I enter it at the bottom of the list.  When I need to look it up I start at the bottom and do a scan upwards for the first match which should be the newest.  I keep copies of the encrypted list on each active computer in my stable.  I also use the password manager that comes with my security software.  I use the same security software on my Android phone as I do on my computers so it's able to look up my passwords from the phone too.  Google keeps a few of my less critical passwords for things like logins to news sites.  Then, in addition I have the master master list of bazillions of scraps of paper where I first jotted down the new password.  All carefully saved in a cigar box on my desk.frown  And of course there are the critical ones that I use every day that are on tiny yellow Post-It notes stuck inside my computer desk's cabinet door and on the side of my computer.  However, I have found that many of them are obsolete and inaccurate anymore.no  And of course the final, most critical password of all, is the password to my computer login pasted to the bottom of each keyboard in my employ.surprise  This is not to say that my memory is unreliable anymore but at least I remember where I have squirreled away my passwords and can usually find one when I need it.  EXCEPT for the encryption password to 20 years of email that I need to re-access just because I want to revive my archive of 20 years of email and to find the receipts for some things. (*sigh*)  I never jotted it down because I used it for so many years that I thought I would never forget it, until 6 months after I changed it for some reason.crying

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Mmm still no update on if the C4D Bridge will support R23 :(

freakin 30F.  jack frost crazyness

was tryin to learn somethin about the japanese language.  seems like it has an extra verb conjugation tense, past, present, future, and prbably

there a separate alphabeta for men and women.  doesnt mention the rules.  if a man writes to a woman, which alphabet?  hirogana or kata

does any language have gender nuetral pronouns?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Mystiarra said:

freakin 30F.  jack frost crazyness

was tryin to learn somethin about the japanese language.  seems like it has an extra verb conjugation tense, past, present, future, and prbably

there a separate alphabeta for men and women.  doesnt mention the rules.  if a man writes to a woman, which alphabet?  hirogana or kata

does any language have gender nuetral pronouns?

Japanese doesn't conjugate verbs in a typical European sense, and tenses are applied very loosely. There is no "alphabet", but rather syllabaries, and they're not gender-based, but rather used for different purposes. Hiragana, in conjunction with kanji, is used for native Japanese (including "Sino-Japanese" or Chinese-derived words), while katakana is used mainly for other foreign words and onomatopoeia.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 2020

DanaTA said:

kyoto kid said:

That's why I use a password manager.  I can log in anywhere on any device that has it.  I had a power supply go dead a couple of weeks ago.  Thankfully, I had the manager plugin on the laptop and was able to continue logging in to sites I normally visit.

Dana

Me too.  I have used eWallet for years.  Runs on PC, iOS, and Android.

Edit: Also, it uses Dropbox to stay updated between devices, so it's always current.
    Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • Getting hungry for something and thinking about firing up the broiler.  Steak or chicken?

edited December 2020

Non-complaint:  Yay!  My DAZ Product List is now being sorted by purchase date properly.yes

Complaint:  Arghhh..., my 10 year old primary computer that I recently upgraded with a new CPU, 1TB SSD and completely new installation of Win10Pro is again crashing without warning. crying  Usually when I'm playing a youtube video.  It often (but not always) happens when I expand the video to full screen (1080 HD).  I've checked error logs and I see bunches of errors that are complete gobbledygook to me and nothing that definitely points me to a particular piece of hardware.  I've run sucessful diagnostics on the two storage drives (a 2TB HD, and a 1TB SSD) Almost all of the hardware in this machine is newer than the motherboard and the graphic card.

Unfortunately, the graphics card is the original and I've discovered (over the years) that when I've tried substituting a newer graphics card, it simply doesn't work.  Research on the Internet indicates that the motherboard was manufactured right at the point in time when PCIe standards for graphic cards were changing subtly and the old standard on the motherboard is no longer compatible with newer more powerful graphics cards.  So, I've been nursing this one along.  But now it looks like if I want a newer graphics card (which is where I suspect my problem lies, because that's where it has been in the past and was the reason I upgraded hardware and software to begin with) that I'll have to either abandon this old machine (*sobcrying*) or bite the bullet and replace it with one of my lesser machines in my stable (they're older), or buy a new off-the-shelf machine on sale that has enough oomph to handle everything modern except my DAZ stuff (which is on my super machine dedicated for DAZ stuff).  Or I have an opportunity to upgrade yet another old machine by replacing the motherboard and CPU.  Cool yes  Unfortunately I had already recently replaced the original 2-core i5 CPU with a newer generation, compatable 4-core i5 CPU which I thought had solved all my crashing problems. (*sigh*)​  I guess not.sad

Upgrading this machine again will cost me about $500 (motherboard & CPU & memory) + a new graphics card ($200) + a new copy of Win10-Pro ($130) even if I keep all my existing HD, SSD, and expansion cards, case, and power supply.

edited December 2020

Slightly interesting story:  Yesterday 12/8/2020 was the 40th anniversary of the shooting of John Lennon outside his apartment in NYC.  It turns out that my best friend in high school (and one of the very few people that I stay in touch with all these decades) was working the front desk at the YMCA in mid-town Manhattan (across the avenue from Lincoln Center) where the shooter had been staying just a couple of days before, and he was the one who checked him out of the "Y" two days before the shooting.  Right after the shooting my friend was again at the desk of the "Y" and was all of a sudden inundated with paparazzi wanting details.  Of course, as a seasoned, NYC resident he brushed them off forthwith saying truthfully, he knew nothing about the guy except that "yes, he was there.  No, he caused no obvious trouble. I only checked him out.  End of story.  Go away!"

This is my same friend who told me that when walking the side streets of NYC at night and when eyed by someone of dubious character, just turn and face the wall and yell at it and act crazy.  They don't bother the crazies.

edited December 2020

...that wouldn't work in Portland, as odd folks are all over the place here.

Remember the "Expose Yourself to Art" poster? That was one of our mayors. We have a fellow who rides around on a unicycle wearing a Darth Vader mask who plays bagpipes that emit flames from the drones. This and more is perfectly avcepted as "normal" here.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    ...oh, on the PSU front, have a new unit on the way, an 850w modular one. One thing this does afford me is an opportunity to perform some minor upgrades to,as well as some minor maintenance,and a thorough cleaning of my "Daz super system".
  • I've been thinking about building a new system or possibly getting a MacBook Pro.  Thinking of waiting for the ARM chips to be available in the 16" model.

This discussion has been closed.