The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461
    edited January 2021

kyoto kid said:

...well, the Romans did make it all the way to Hadrian's wall in the British Isles.

The Antonine Wall was further north. https://www.antoninewall.org/

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

...well, the Romans did make it all the way to Hadrian's wall in the British Isles.

Well, Antonius Pius was a bit of an overachiever.devil 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,127

I just found out I am eligible for a free audible trial.  Now I can choose one more free book to add to my library.  Now what to choose?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Watched all of Lupin Part 1 yesterday on Netflix.  Enjoyed it a lot, but I missed the "Part 1" thing, and now I have to wait to see how it ends because cliffhanger.  Hope it comes out before civilization ends.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,644

TJohn said:

Are these your furbabies Charlie? How do you stand so much cute? smiley 

Yep. And I am so lucky that they have been good friends from the very first day that we got Katie (the cocker) a couple of years ago. 

• Charlie Judge said:

TJohn said:

Are these your furbabies Charlie? How do you stand so much cute? smiley 

Yep. And I am so lucky that they have been good friends from the very first day that we got Katie (the cocker) a couple of years ago. 

I was always told that the way to get cats and dogs living together happily was to get the cat first and let it settle in.  The cat will then lick the dog into submission, one way or another.

We ended up with a situation that we had cat-dogs  and dog-cats   as they each learned from previous generations.   Made the neighbours laugh when we took 2 dogs and a cat walkies. 

Oops just noticed it was lunch time.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2021

lunch not launch

Post edited by Mistara on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

How did they know it was Hadrian's wall when they found it? indecision

There was a note pinned to it that said, "If found, please return to Hadrian."

• Fixmypcmike said:

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

In Latin? 

LeatherGryphon said:

Fixmypcmike said:

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

In Latin? 

barbarians cant resist a gate, specially if its closed 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited January 2021

Non-complaint:  After replacing the sick power supply in my old HP computer I've just now looked at the power being drawn by that system through my UPS.  Before the replacement, while running the old sick power supply, the idle wattage being drawn was slightly over 100w.  Now, with the new power supply, the idle draw is 64w.  I'm not sure if the improvement is in the efficiency of the new PS or the fact that the old PS was sick and wasting energy running a fever. surprise  Regardless, I'm happy.yes

And with the computer and speakers turned off, the only thing left drawing power through that UPS is the transformers(and indicator lights) for the six, turned off, 3.5 inch external hard drives, for which the UPS is measuring 5w.  And yes indeed, if I switch off the powerstrip that the transformers are attached to, the power draw goes to zero.

Well, I'm not quite comparing apples to apples.  The old sick PS was a 500w CoolMax.  The new PS is a 450w Corsair.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

No snow here?

D6ED4C46-A217-44A9-B19A-2DA9A60B20A5.png
    1536 x 2048 - 4M
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Just placed an online grocery order.  Usually they're missing a whole bunch of stuff, so I ordered extra.  Sure hope it doesn't all show up. surprise

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited January 2021

I've been ordering from Amazon Pantry.  I'm pretty well stocked up 'till March or April.  But I keep an eye on my favorites list.  Right at the moment they're out of EVERYTHING I typically buy.  Mandarin Oranges (for Jello), Sardines, Hormel Compleats (microwave dinners), Hamburger Helper, Campbell's soups, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, packs of individual microwavable mac & cheese, canned carrots, breakfast cereal (Wheaties), Hormel Chili, boxes of Elbow Pasta, cans of baked beans, Carnation Evaporated Milk, Crystal Light drink mix, Quaker Quick oatmeal.  I think I cleaned out the Amazon Pantry last time I ordered.

Actually I heard (a news clip on YouTube) that the big beer companies are buying up all the cans and the little beer companies can't get aluminum cans.  Something similar for steel cans.  And there's a big demand for canned goods so the supply isn't sufficient.  The times they are a'changin'.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

It took two walls to protect the Romans from the Picts (Brythonic Celts, the proto-Scots).  Sad that we don't know what they called themselves then, as that branch of the language has been lost.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

...lucky guess.wink 

Sevrin said:

Just placed an online grocery order.  Usually they're missing a whole bunch of stuff, so I ordered extra.  Sure hope it doesn't all show up. surprise

...got back a while ago from the latest grocery replenishment mission.  Never an issue with missing items or mistakes  which is another reason I don't bother with food delivery . Yeah it takes time and a bit my part to walk there, particularly given my creaky bones and joints, but at least I get what I intended to purchase, unless was is out of stock (but then I can always look for a viable alternative).

i cant rightly tell if red13 is of the kitteh persuation

all your base belong to us

DA did something, i cant grab an image address to show my render.  i put my animaged gifs there.  

red13.JPG
    1280 x 720 - 114K
    edited January 2021

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

...lucky guess.wink 

Atilla never had a wall.  preferred wide open spaces

dont know what to do today.  28f out, no walking today brr brrr.  what i'd really liks is to go to that millers restaurant for a cut of filet mignon and overloaded baked potato,  nnn yuma,  dip on a bit of horseradish 

Sarasota,FL 61F and sunny today.  wonder what condos are going for down there.  if my 401k will survive another shutdown. does the vaccine mean there wont be another shutdown?

edited January 2021

omg  da BUPPIES

mebbe a new bestie friend for me

https://www.animalleague.org/adopt/profile/?id=LA0098

what a face!!  OMG  just shoot me now

https://www.animalleague.org/adopt/profile/?id=TX0099

Good news My stimulus funds got deposited into my account.  Bad news is that I have to give up technology to have access to it.  Even worse, I can't choose not to have the funds just to be able to render another G8F or G8M render.

...is that a rule of the place you live in? 

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited January 2021

Had a few messed up orders from Amazon lately.

Laptop advertised as one thing, but they shipped me a vastly lower spec model instead. (8GB RAM instead of 16GB, 256GB SSD versus 1TB.) I mean... they're shipping me a product that is hundreds of $$ lower than what I ordered? Thanks for trying to ruin Xmas, but I caught the "error" as soon as it arrived at the house.

Bottle of sauce... cap was clearly cut, leaking sauce. The inside of the bubble wrap had sauce all over it... so the sauce bottle was clearly broken before they put it in the bubble wrap. (The cap was clearly cut, with a notch in it, and leaking... but the bubble wrap was not cut/did not have a hole in it.) They just wrapped up a bottle of sauce with a broken, leaking cap. Also, that one was not eligible for a return, for whatever reason... so they shipped me a defective product that was obviously defective at the time they shipped it.

Anyway, I'm going to do my best to find another online ordering thing. Amazon is getting too big and the quality of their product (i.e. service & convenience of ordering) has gone down.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • Don't forget that this is not a normal time because of the pandemic.  Staffing is down, workers are masked and overworked even more than normally.  They're separated and can't work closely, and demand is up, WAY up.  This is a stressful time for everybody.

kyoto kid said:

...is that a rule of the place you live in? 

No not really.  Just a rule from my guardian I guess. 

• LeatherGryphon said:

Don't forget that this is not a normal time because of the pandemic.  Staffing is down, workers are masked and overworked even more than normally.  They're separated and can't work closely, and demand is up, WAY up.  This is a stressful time for everybody.

In my case, Amazon gets plenty of money from me. They are not hurting for business even if 100% of my shopping goes away from their store. There are thousands upon thousands more customers who have only increased their spending at Amazon.

For my own sake, I want to diversify my online shopping options, especially for things that have been less than acceptable (like shipping broken/spoiled food product, which has happened even prior to the pandemic). Shipping customers broken/spoiled food product is not ethical. I've been shipped re-sealed/rotten food by Amazon even prior to the pandemic, but this is the first time I've been denied a return for a problem on their end. That's my problem with them... finding out that they won't process some returns on spoiled food products. Mistakes happen, but if they won't fix a mistake on their end? That's the end of my patience.

It's healthier for the economy if more stores get business, not just the mega-giants who have been rewarded under the lockdown conditions.

...still not good.  Threatening to withhold a payment you are completely entitled to on such grounds sounds a bit extreme if not "extortionist". 

Give up tech? Like how are you to make/receive phone calls, or shop for items not available in your location?  If working with 3D is something you love and make you feel better, what is wrong with that? You've invested a lot in this  from what I've read over the years, yet this person seems to want you to throw it all away. 

I'd speak with someone at your state's Social Services agency about this. 

pulled an all nighter to finish an excel sheet for work.  makes nuts.  cant find a convenient way to copy past formulas without it updating the reference.

next spreadsheet project they want in google sheets.

i earned my paycheq this week.  

too wound up to fall asleep yet.  my eyes are burning, but brain still chugging

brewing a cuppa tea.  dansk cookies all gone.  got nothin to tea dunk.  i wonders if there is a jane austen recipe book out there.  for old,old,ole fairy cakes.angel

kyoto kid said:

...still not good.  Threatening to withhold a payment you are completely entitled to on such grounds sounds a bit extreme if not "extortionist". 

Give up tech? Like how are you to make/receive phone calls, or shop for items not available in your location?  If working with 3D is something you love and make you feel better, what is wrong with that? You've invested a lot in this  from what I've read over the years, yet this person seems to want you to throw it all away. 

I'd speak with someone at your state's Social Services agency about this. 

Thank you!  

This discussion has been closed.