Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Although Daz is a global company, I somehow feel the need to link to a resource for US fair use laws. Note, as it says at the link, the copyright office cannot give legal advice to individuals.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Just to get this thread back on the first page.

Just in case anyone isn't aware, you need to be a bit careful when using/reproducing commercial characters without permission. Characters such as the one posted are covered by copyright law which limits, quite strictly, how others can use the characters and what permissions are required.

Also I believe that Universal Studios is working on trademarks for some aspects of those characters. And with very high profile and lucrative characters, companies can get very strict about limiting usage by others.

And outside of the law, it is important to respect the professional work of others, since they might feel bad if people take their work and show it in a way that might minimize the wonderful aspects of those characters. It's a bit like someone here taking someone's render and modifying it and then re-posting it. It might ruin the artist's original intent.

I'm not criticizing anyone, or trying to offend anyone, or trying to be negative. I'm just suggesting folks be aware of the importance of respecting others' work.

And a good rule of thumb: when given the choice between working a commercial, copyrighted or trademarked character without permission and your own character, choose to design your own character.

Sorry if this is seen as offensive to anyone. It isn't meant to be. To many, this is an important issue.

You should see the SuperHero and Star Trek render threads in the commons!

I believe this falls under the category of "Fan Art" and so long as no profit is being made, and as you so rightly point out - the material is treated respectfully, it is generally tolerated.

The worst that could happen is a take-down notice unless the work is shown to slander or otherwise hurt the image of the characters used.

Once again - if only they would release The Millennium Cow there would be no need for anybody to ever go down this path again!!

At this stage, I think I have to agree as well that the Millennium Cow is what we all need.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I believe this falls under the category of "Fan Art" and so long as no profit is being made, and as you so rightly point out - the material is treated respectfully, it is generally tolerated.

Keep in mind that "tolerated" is up to the creators, and not us, to decide. They own it. And if the work IS copyright infringement, as much "fan art" is, it's totally up to the creators to decide whether they will tolerate it, if at all.

And as I also pointed out, it's like you spending a lot of time on, and posting a render you're very proud of, and somebody modifies it and re-posts it. Does it make you feel better if they say "oh, this is fan art, so it's okay?" :) :)

Don't presume on others' behalfs...

It is a VERY sticky legal issue, and often a case-by-case basis. Hence my suggestion that if you have the choice, it's best to choose to design your own stuff.

But decide for yourself. I'm just presenting the information.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind that "tolerated" is up to the creators, and not us, to decide. They own it. And if the work IS copyright infringement, as much "fan art" is, it's totally up to the creators to decide whether they will tolerate it, if at all.

And as I also pointed out, it's like you spending a lot of time on, and posting a render you're very proud of, and somebody modifies it and re-posts it. Does it make you feel better if they say "oh, this is fan art, so it's okay?" :) :)

Don't presume on others' behalfs...

It is a VERY sticky legal issue, and often a case-by-case basis. Hence my suggestion that if you have the choice, it's best to choose to design your own stuff.

But decide for yourself. I'm just presenting the information.

That is exactly what I said!

Of course "generally tolerated" implies that is is sometimes not tolerated, and that is up to the copyright holder.

The difference between modifying another person's render and "fan art" in general is that the subjects of fan art are most often used in such high profile public settings, like movies and tv and comic books, that they can become part of "pop culture" and often creators like fan art.

DC Comics has made it clear that they tolerate fan art within specific guidelines.

Others have not.

I agree it is a slippery slope, but it is certainly common to use popular characters in this way and that sets a legal precedent. Failure to protect copyrights can lead to losing them, so many times take down notices are indeed sent out!

But real prosecution can only happen if they can prove harm. Often more trouble than it's worth for fan art.

As for modifying other people's renders from here - that is already forbidden in the TOS, so I would recommend against it.

edited December 1969

Similarly, don't presume that you are legally allowed to surf the web for an image and integrate it into your own render, as has often been recommended. Again, issues of fair use, etc. come into play. In any case, for US copyright at least, see the link I posted above, although the U.S. does not rule the world, YET.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

Tim_A - that's a good start to an interesting scene. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

It might seem strange to some but I like clay renders. I first saw them on the special features of the 'Monsters Inc.' DVD where scenes were shown as animatics (I think that's the term) compared to the end results. It demonstrated a workflow that was fascinating to someone who knew nothing of all this. Ahem ... I'm reminiscing again.

3dAge, great work and interesting to see.

Joe and others: Yes, fair warning and an appropriate reminder. Much as I like the work and would love to see it animated in a scene, I would hate to see trouble brew over it.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Similarly, don't presume that you are legally allowed to surf the web for an image and integrate it into your own render, as has often been recommended. Again, issues of fair use, etc. come into play. .

If you're referring to my rare use of downloaded images from public domain sources in my tutorials, I would never recommend, nor have I ever, that others do the same. The only reason I've done it is in the context of training/learning/teaching, and never using commercial images. Also, I have quite a bit of experience over the years with copyright issues in the vfx biz, so I'm fairly sure I'm avoiding copyright issues.

I do recommend that others integrate real world images in their work, either those you've photographed yourself or you're sure are public domain. But never would I recommend people do copyright infringement.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

...Failure to protect copyrights can lead to losing them...

Little bit of a nitpick here but I'm not actually sure that is true for copyrights, at least in the US. It is definitely true for trademarks and I believe it it true for patents, but copyrights don't have to be enforced this way - if you have a copyright on something you can defend it or not as you please without weakening it. IANAL but a quick google search seems to support the idea that copyright is never lost unless given away or it expires.

Also, here's a render. :)

It's a WIP of a small magical idol for a D&D game I'm running - the head was made in Sculptris Alpha, which I've had forever and am just now starting to play around with.

LostIdol_Render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 53K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    ...Failure to protect copyrights can lead to losing them...

Little bit of a nitpick here but I'm not actually sure that is true for copyrights, at least in the US. It is definitely true for trademarks and I believe it it true for patents, but copyrights don't have to be enforced this way - if you have a copyright on something you can defend it or not as you please without weakening it. IANAL but a quick google search seems to support the idea that copyright is never lost unless given away or it expires.

Also, here's a render. :)

It's a WIP of a small magical idol for a D&D game I'm running - the head was made in Sculptris Alpha, which I've had forever and am just now starting to play around with.

cool start

edited July 2015

diomede64 said:
    Similarly, don't presume that you are legally allowed to surf the web for an image and integrate it into your own render, as has often been recommended. Again, issues of fair use, etc. come into play. .

If you're referring to my rare use of downloaded images from public domain sources in my tutorials, I would never recommend, nor have I ever, that others do the same. The only reason I've done it is in the context of training/learning/teaching, and never using commercial images. Also, I have quite a bit of experience over the years with copyright issues in the vfx biz, so I'm fairly sure I'm avoiding copyright issues.

I do recommend that others integrate real world images in their work, either those you've photographed yourself or you're sure are public domain. But never would I recommend people do copyright infringement.

I personally would not give someone legal advice in regards to compliance with copyright law. Rather, I simply point to some (US) resources related to fair use and remind everyone that integrating images that they find on the web can raise similar issues as fan art. People have mentioned factors such as whether the use is for-profit, etc. Even something not for profit can run into trouble under some circumstances. You will find yet more information related to various factors (from the US perspective) here.

http://copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

For those who think they have mastered a formula for feeling secure regarding such issues, there is this to consider (US situation).

"Courts evaluate fair use claims on a case-by-case basis, and the outcome of any given case depends on a fact-specific inquiry. This means that there is no formula to ensure that a predetermined percentage or amount of a work—or specific number of words, lines, pages, copies—may be used without permission."

Anyway, I am not offering legal advice of either condemnation, nor am I offering comfort such as "don't worry-about-it." I am pointing everyone to resources for (US) copyright law. Make of it what you will.

On the other hand, sites such as Daz and others host render challenges to recreate scenes from movies, recreate album covers, etc., all the time. Again, make of it what you will. I know that one of the things I enjoy the most is modeling my own version of ET, etc. (see some of the challenges). But I make no statement about whether Mr. Speilberg has a right of action against me that he simply has not yet exercised.

To the extent I am going to refer to personal information, I do have legal training and the US copyright office is literally right on the other side of the ceiling of my office. Please respect the copyright laws because authors, artists, and other creative people deserve to have their rights upheld. On the other hand, much art is created in the category of tribute, and thus helps keep authors and artists in the mind of the public, to the benefit of the authors and artists. I don't know how the law applies to any given case, and the copyright office says it doesn't know either, but instead the courts must look at it case by case. To the extent the copyright office has offered public guidance, I have pointed to some of it. (EDIT: again, my pointers are to the US situation)

Post edited by Diomede on
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

I just discovered, I know I’m late to the party, a great Carrara product – Music Stage by Sadot. It is very light on resources and renders quickly, even at high quality settings. It is very easy to tweak and customize.

Other products in this image are:

Rama Drums – DAZ Original
    Guitar and Props – Merlin Studios
    Organ – Included Carrara content

I have tweaked/ customized most of the shaders of the last three. The only changes made to the Music Stage were some of spot lights and the “screens” content.

Milwaukee_-_May_2015,_Music_Stage_Copy.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 648K
    edited December 1969

Sadot does great work.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

a more original character model this time,

Cowrarra_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    a more original character model this time,

cute animation you did :-)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Just a little WIP update :)

Jacksons_WIP3.jpg
    1280 x 600 - 261K
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969
    YSABEAUTEST10BB.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 592K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Ouch, Ringo...
    That's a killer render! Love it!
    I'm busy rendering some of your DP shaders as we speak! ;)

Kakman, love that stage! Looks a lot like my drum kit up there. I, too, bought the Rama Drum kit. Now I just need to buy that stage! Looks awesome!

Tim_A, your scene is looking really nice! Can't wait to see more!

Andy Man, Moooo! :) He's pretty cool! Modeled and rigged via Carrara, I presume?

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Kakman, love that stage! Looks a lot like my drum kit up there. I, too, bought the Rama Drum kit. Now I just need to buy that stage! Looks awesome!

Thanks Dart, I WAS thinking of you when I did the drum kit.

Here's a render I made over the weekend.  Actually it is three renders because my system slows to a crawl with three fully clothed G2M's, some detailed props and a bit of dynamic hair in the scene, so I rendered each character separately and composited them.  It worked nicely except for the fact that while setting up the second character I somehow managed to nudge the camera so my first render didn't match the second two and I had to redo it.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990

just want to see if I can insert images from my FB page ...

Whoa - my attachment on my last post looks tiny!  Why do attachments on older posts look normal size but new ones are shrunk?  Is there a setting somewhere to fix that?

edited July 2015

it seems any uploaded image from now on gets a thumbnail which needs to be clicked to see full size..

images from the old forum are linked to like my FB image I think

that's why I linked to an image from my FB page to see what happens..

sux at the moment having to use thumbnails hey no

Post edited by Stezza on

kupow

edited July 2015

OK then - I shall cheat and link to my DeviantArt page!

TA DA!  Giant render attack!  Look at the size of that sucker! smiley

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited July 2015

Actually, I just tried it and you can link straight to an image in your DAZ3D gallery and it shows up right in the post!  Neat. :)

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

hmmm... my gallery isn't loading my images... only a ghost image with which I can do nothing with!!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited July 2015

Nothing new.

Just itching to try posting in the new forum.

Edit: Well that's not good.sad

Thumbnail size definitely needs to be increased. 

Post edited by de3an on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited July 2015

An Image from my DAZ Gallery.

Edit: So if we want to post an image that displays larger in the forum (without having to click on it) we have to first post it elsewhere, and link to it.

Not really liking that.

Post edited by de3an on

switched browsers... working now yes

not the best is it.. hopefully they will change it to something more suitable..  

de3an said:

Edit: So if we want to post an image that displays larger in the forum (without having to click on it) we have to first post it elsewhere, and link to it.

Not really liking that.

This discussion has been closed.