New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Novica said:

Well, I'm back. That second Covid shot is a witch. Chills, fever, nausea, dizzy, and major headache. So my body is definitely a fighter! It's 3:45pm and I am just now getting out of bed. (Got the shot 1pm yesterday. Felt fine all last night.)   However, I'm a great weathergal because of barometric pressure headaches so not sure how much is the shot and how much is this nonstop rain we've got.

I think we're going on 5 inches now. I feel so bad for the folks trying to rescue the crew in that overturned boat in Louisiana. I shudder to think of being underwater in an air pocket in the hull in the dark for days on end. 

I wanted to feel better so my remedy?  I ordered Pizza Hut! cheeky It's on it's way. I'd share if you were here. 

I noticed in that Zilpha thread, some folks mentioned other characters getting dialed in too. That's just great. I actually liked how Faerwyn looked with her though! 

Congratulations!

I got my 1st covid-19 shot on Apr 2 and will get my follow up on Apr 30. It is a Moderna brand covid-19 shot. It's a rdna type of vaccine. I had not even a needlke stick pain or any symptoms after the 1st one. Woman tend to have side effects more than men after vaccines and such because they have more hyper immune systems given to them by nature as the primary care givers and child bearers of children. You really can't surpress that extra immune system hyperactivity safely either.

I finally got a smiley face avatar I like so I'm gonna keep this one a while.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

So I got more sleep and up at 4am, no headache, nausea, aches. Not quite normal but we still have rain so I think what's leftover is the barometric pressure in my sinuses. So for those of you getting the second shot, it may just be a "next day" thing which is certainly tolerable. :)  The average is a day to two days, from what I've read.

I'm doing some renders of Amity and will have those within the hour hopefully. Just curious- how long does it take you to render a character, hair, outfit in a closeup?  Such as an OOT hair?  Mine ranges from 20 minutes to about an hour fifteen minutes. I keep render quality on 1 (we tested that and didn't see a difference in 1, 2, 3 and it just increased render times.)  I have it at 99% for the getting finished percent, I use Mitchell not Gaussian (Overall, it seems Gaussian is blurred, Mitchell is sharper.) 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

I got my second Pfizer vaccine shot Friday also.  So far my issue has been fatigue, swelling & pain at the site (mild) and then muscle aches mainly in my shoulders/back/arms.  No fever or anything. 

OOT hairs seem to take longer to render than some of the other vendors.  I can't remember off the top of my head how long my last one took.  I don't even use those settings anymore I set Max Samples and then I have the time set to like 4 hours (I have never let one go that long).  Usually I am awake and can stop it when I am happy with the result.  My computer is in the bedroom so it gets shut off when we go to bed. If for some reason I plan to go somewhere while its rendering I will set the hours to 2-3, 99% of the time and that works just fine.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

Something I noticed recently was a slowdown of load times or times for my laptop to react to commands if I am using an 8.1 figure, then add clothing, hair (OOT anytime, dForce), have added a scene or prop to pose with, then I have to wait while a pose takes effect (and remember to turn on the timeline before that!). I have taken to closing the eyes on eyelashes, tears, eyebrows, and any clothing that is not going to be simulated or effected by clothing movement, but still, from load to render test, retest, again and again to choose lighting, it may be three or four hours for one render. Or I put it all away for the night, pick it up the next day. But I am my own worse problem, forgetting to make sure I have gone through all the steps first. But PowerPose is my life saver.

Before my content got scrambled, I could tell which poses were released after dForce came about, but now, I will accidentally get a pose I want to use, and find I have a body part moving through the body on the timeline. That means more searching, clearing out, testing. I wish it was easier to clear what you find is a total mistake from the simulation pane.

And that is using 4.15 in the Beta which I have found to be more reliable than the main release.

edited April 2021

Amity HD for Honni 8       Autumn Bloom Outfit (G8F)   and textures      2021-01 Hair (G8F) 

The Autumn Bloom Outfit simulates nicely just using the default settings, although this wasn't a complicated pose. If you want the shoulder strap to fit more snugly, you'll need to use the cog and undo the limits for collar zone. I did it to 49.5% and it got it where it should be. 

I went with the Metallic options for skin materials, I like the skin but the lips were ULTRA gooey.  Here's my settings to get this moist look, adjusted some and kept some of the vendor's settings. There are a few other settings but these are your main ones: 
    Dual Lobe Specular Weight .65 / Reflectivity 1.00
    Specular Lobe 1 Roughness 0.11 / Lobe 2 .036
    Dual Lobe Specular Ratio .85
    Glossy Layered Weight  .18
    Glossy Reflectivity .95 / Roughness .28
    Refraction Index 2.45
    I changed all the metallic flakes settings IIRC
    Metallic Flakes Weight (was 1.00) I put to .50   /  Size .0010  / Strength .20  / Density .17
    Metallic Flakes Thin Film IOR 1.26
    Reflectivity .27    (I remember taking this way down too)

Wanted to give you a different impression of Amity so here's her softer side :) 

dForce Lola Outfit (G8F)        Ingrid Hair (G3F / G8F)       FWSA Soft Light Probes (Christmas Freebie) 

amity.png
    650 x 780 - 898K
    amity 2.png
    568 x 892 - 698K
    amity 3.png
    650 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Okay, anyone have Lexi Hair?  This hair loads above the character and even Y translation won't bring the hair down. And yes, I have the character selected in scene and am in node like always. The character is Carolina. Edit-  I just loaded other hairs onto her. Lexi Hair just doesn't like her.

Post edited by Novica on

I put it on wishlist.

memcneil70 said:

I put it on wishlist.

Well I can't get it to load onto Carolina. I'll try someone else later and let you know. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,267

memcneil70 said:

I put it on wishlist.

Ditto 

Well, Lexi Hair loads just fine on Bess. So to recap- other hair load fine on Caroline. Lexi doesn't. Lexi Hair loads fine on other characters. So it's just Lexi Hair onto Caroline (without extensive testing.) 

I'm sick and tired of this. How do you get the stupid hair to show in Iray mode in the studio? There's no tessalation (I know you can increase that) so what can I do? 

What mode is your cursor in? I just looked at this thread on Lexi's hair and someone had that problem, barbult suggested this fix. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

memcneil70 said:

What mode is your cursor in? I just looked at this thread on Lexi's hair and someone had that problem, barbult suggested this fix. 

Yes, having Geometry editor tool, Joint Editor tool or Mesh Grabber selected would cause hair not to render.

I already saw that thread. Up above, when I first mentioned Lexi Hair, I mentioned I was in Node mode. :)  So it's not that. But thanks for mentioning it. When I googled Lexi Hair, that thread was the only one to come up, and isn't my issue. 

I am back at the computer and I looked up my most recent Lady Littlefox hair, dForce Thorin Hair and checked what is available in the Parameters. First it has a variety of adjustments and Head options, but what I want you to check is the Display settings. I have occasionally found some off or on. 

Of course, you probably have already checked these out @Novica, but when I haven't found a thumbnail in Smart Content to turn a hair on or off, I have to remember to look here. 

Thorin Hair Display Settings.PNG
    388 x 750 - 46K

@memneil70   I think I did that, I'll have to check. Am doing a render at the moment. I may have checked it for one hair and not the other, I can't remember. Between a floating hair and several not showing up, it's been a less than stellar rendering day. 

Yeah, I have too many of them. Between being sick for two weeks, then my eye getting something in it and going blurry for three days... I have had no creative impulses and I am just cleaning the Daz Connect mess on my desktop and sending help requests to Emma at Tech Support. She has been great and responding within a few hours of a report on a business day. 

When I have tried to render, it seems to be one fight after another. That is when I take Bugsy for a walk, and get fresh air, wind, snow, and rain! And get to meet the new puppies that have been adopted around the apartment complex and let them scent me so I am not a threat. Especially the Pit Bulls mixes. They are so much fun and lovely dogs.

edited April 2021

Carolina HD (G8F)        dForce Corduroy Jumper Outfit (G8F)       Adeline Hair and Circlets (G8F) 

I like this combination for the mouth. It's relaxed and as you can see from the settings, slightly asymmetrical. 

Mouth Smile Simple left 32.7
    Lip Bottom Up Down -15.6
    Lip Top Up Down 21.9
    Lips Part 36.5
    Part Center 5.3
    Rosalind Pout  44.1

carolina Corduroy Jumpr AdelineHR.png
    650 x 900 - 995K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Bess HD (G8F)           Taylor Hair (G8F)          Wool Tartan Cloth Iray Shaders        IDG Kinetic Lighting

With the lights, the dome rotation was 45 and I added my typical  Dome Orientation Y at 270
    This was 70% at 40 minutes, done an hour 15 minutes. 

The skin is really reflective, so I had to change a lot of settings. Shown is before and after. 

Bess Taylor Hair.png
    650 x 900 - 677K
    Bess Taylor Hair Reflect Reduced.png
    650 x 900 - 678K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jewels99jewels99 Posts: 30

@Novica could you please render  Amity HD without Honni?  I don't have Honni and would like to see what Amity looks like without Honni.  Thanks so much! Julie

jewels99 said:

@Novica could you please render  Amity HD without Honni?  I don't have Honni and would like to see what Amity looks like without Honni.  Thanks so much! Julie

Sure, coming right up. I loaded up Genesis 8 then did Amity, then went into Shaping and took out all Honni. Even without Honni, Amity is a cutie. 

edited April 2021

Here's Amity without any Honni. This is only 38% rendered, so there would be more detail, but for some reason it's taking a long time (48 minutes so far.)  This gives you a good idea though. :) 

Okay folks, going to get some sleep as I'm way off schedule due to that second shot. Today was a good day :)  so only one day of UGH. I still think that pizza did the trick for a faster recovery.  cheeky

Amity No Honni.png
    650 x 900 - 812K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jewels99jewels99 Posts: 30

@Novica Thank you for rendering her.  She is a cutie!

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Has anyone done anything along the lines of this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29605/solved-uninstalling-or-deleting-morphs-i-dont-use?

Like Serene Night, I don't need or use alot of the actual characters morphs, but keeping the materials available would be nice.

@jewels99 My pleasure :) 

Heads up on the flash sale. If you haven't used your PC+ coupon and don't have this product, it goes down to a great price.

Mr Banks Hair Layers for Genesis 8 Male

Mr Banks Hair Layers for Genesis 8 Male

$24.95

$3.17

87%

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

gitika1 said:

Has anyone done anything along the lines of this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29605/solved-uninstalling-or-deleting-morphs-i-dont-use?

Like Serene Night, I don't need or use alot of the actual characters morphs, but keeping the materials available would be nice.

If you've used DIM or manually installed your characters, you just go into the data directory and remove the morphs. They're usually listed under the generation, then the PA name, then the character. So, for example, FWSA Quinton for Michael 8 is under your content directory in
    \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\FWSA\Quinton (PC directory paths; I don't know if they're any different for a Mac.)

It's best to back them up somewhere. Also, be aware that if you have deliberately or inadvertently used one of a given character's morphs, Studio will flag that and suggest reinstalling via Connect. You don't want to do that; just click cancel and see what happens.

Doing it this way will leave the shaping presets and the materials presets intact in the Content Library. Depending on your preferences, you may want to remove the shaping presets as well so that you don't unintentionally try to use them, but the materials will stay there for you to use as desired.

If you installed using Connect, the process is likely more complicated, because it uses a very different directory structure, and I can't really give any guidance for that process.

@vwrangler  thanks for helping out, as always :) 

Want to give a heads up to a thread I started waaaaay back in 2016. I had forgotten about it (!!!) so no wonder everyone else had, too. I've been working hard on a couple different books, refining what I wanted, and won't be published for awhile yet. But as I mentioned in the first posts in this thread, I want to highlight/ help other authors in the meantime. Please visit this post in the Commons if you would consider helping authors or are an author. We want to know what books we can support!

While I'll be honest and tell you I'm going to primarily focus on free or greatly discounted books to support, I'm not totally against buying books if they appeal to me and the writing sample is well done in my opinion.  I am not leaving fake five star reviews to mislead people, nor would I want anyone to do that with my books when they are released. That said, I am not leaving a star rating if I can't give you a good one of 4 or 5, preferably a 5. I won't contribute to sinking a book's ratings, but that's just me- I want to support and if I can't, I don't want to hinder. 

@ladair  There's a link to your thread about bookcovers, and in that thread, it links back to my DAWG (Daz Artists Writers Group) thread. I shortened the title so your old link to it won't work. Can you change it in your Book Cover thread?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

gitika1 said:

i have no issues since removing the morphs and expressions that are morphs. I have a much faster machine now. I also still have the skins. I just pruned out the data folder. When I need a figure I just reinstall it. 

this is largely caused by daz studio loading everything everytime you load a figure. This creates unnecessary bloat.just back up the data folder before you begin.

Folks, something wonky was going on with that thread, even when I posted, it didn't show up on the front page of Commons. The moderators had to do a hard bump. The funkiness should be resolved. I've posted a question asking what you think of Vella, Kindle's new platform. If you have an opinion, feel free to weigh in. If you aren't sure what Vella is, just Google. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

vwrangler said:

gitika1 said:

If you've used DIM or manually installed your characters, you just go into the data directory and remove the morphs. They're usually listed under the generation, then the PA name, then the character. So, for example, FWSA Quinton for Michael 8 is under your content directory in
    \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\FWSA\Quinton (PC directory paths; I don't know if they're any different for a Mac.)

It's best to back them up somewhere. Also, be aware that if you have deliberately or inadvertently used one of a given character's morphs, Studio will flag that and suggest reinstalling via Connect. You don't want to do that; just click cancel and see what happens.

Doing it this way will leave the shaping presets and the materials presets intact in the Content Library. Depending on your preferences, you may want to remove the shaping presets as well so that you don't unintentionally try to use them, but the materials will stay there for you to use as desired.

If you installed using Connect, the process is likely more complicated, because it uses a very different directory structure, and I can't really give any guidance for that process.

Thanks for the additional details.  I install content with DIM and am comfortable navigating through the studio directories.  I also have a complete back up of my Daz installed content on an external drive, just in case.