New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

Nath said:

Maybe I'm becoming an old sourpuss, but I'd have liked https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-cb-rye-croft-clothing-set-for-genesis-8-and-81-females a lot more with more rounded neckline that doesn't run down to the belly button.

When I dForced it, I held my breath that the breasts wouldn't be exposed. All good, but I think those under 'skinz' products might be needed depending on what you need it for. 

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,650

I have a question for anyone who has https://www.daz3d.com/sobek-hd-crocodile-for-genesis-8-male, in the product description it says: "Standard and heroic proportions add more versatility", but I can't tell from the promos what the difference is exactly beteen these versions of it. Is one taller, shorter, more/less buff? Wouls someone be so kind as to do a render of the differences and let me know what the gpu load is since it has 8K textures?

Thanks so much.

edited May 2021

My eyesight has cleared up a bit and I have been trying to render characters a bit. Still very hard to see DS's tiny writing. As I was working on a render of Jaqueline 8.1 HD, I put her in the Lola outfit you highlighted before @Novica, along with Neroli Hair which I love, and Pearls and pumps from a PC+ outfit that I can't find now! Novica, I am glad you put me onto the dress, the cream option makes a perfect mature second wedding dress for a lady. I took the bow off.  

As the render formed, I started to think I recognized her, finally it clicked, Jackie Kennedy when she was First Lady. The nose is different but still... I didn't go back and change the hair color, I liked the fun preset that Changling Chick provided. 

Mary

Jacqueline 81 HD.png
    800 x 1295 - 2M
    jackiekennedy.jpeg
    4500 x 3000 - 1M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
    edited May 2021

zombietaggerung said:

I have a question for anyone who has https://www.daz3d.com/sobek-hd-crocodile-for-genesis-8-male, in the product description it says: "Standard and heroic proportions add more versatility", but I can't tell from the promos what the difference is exactly beteen these versions of it. Is one taller, shorter, more/less buff? Wouls someone be so kind as to do a render of the differences and let me know what the gpu load is since it has 8K textures?

Thanks so much.

I have him, and the computer is up. Just started the load for the standard character, then will trigger the 'Heroic' figure. Two separate characters. Be back with render comparison. Okay, I have no clue how to tell where the gpu load would be. I know that my 1080 laptop had no problem with both characters and rendered with just the HDRI really fast. The character does have four different material skins to choose from. 

Mary 

Post edited by memcneil70 on

Here is a simple side by side comparison @zombietaggerung. The green guy is the Heroic size, the grey is the standard size.

Sobek and Sobek Heroic.png
    800 x 494 - 339K

memcneil70 said:

Here is a simple side by side comparison @zombietaggerung. The green guy is the Heroic size, the grey is the standard size.

Oh ok. that's relatively signifigant. Thank you for the example. laugh

You are welcome. Just wish I knew how to get you the gpu data. I can be an idiot on some things.

edited May 2021

memcneil70 said:

You are welcome. Just wish I knew how to get you the gpu data. I can be an idiot on some things.

Oh, after the render is finished, you'd have to check the log (Help--Troubleshooting--View Log File...), scroll down to the bottom and it usually tells you how much geometry and texture RAM the scene used.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

memcneil70 said:

Well, it goes without saying I didn't know either LOL.  I don't have that product so thanks for helping out, as usual. :)  

I like the look of these shaders, they are in Fast Grab (only about 15 minutes left until store changeover, but thought I'd mention them. I just remembered to check out!)  Serious Business Mix and Match Shaders look quite versatile.

Heads up on a product which is totally misleading.   I know several of you have already seen it, but just in case...you REALLY don't get what you pay for with that one. Two totally different vehicles!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,268

Novica said:

Heads up on a product which is totally misleading.   I know several of you have already seen it, but just in case...you REALLY don't get what you pay for with that one. Two totally different vehicles!

DAZ needs to do something about that 

zombietaggerung said:

memcneil70 said:

Oh, after the render is finished, you'd have to check the log (Help--Troubleshooting--View Log File...), scroll down to the bottom and it usually tells you how much geometry and texture RAM the scene used.

I am up now and fired up that machine. Thank you for the information, always wanted to know where to look for it.

2021-05-12 17:42:33.942 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.5   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080): Processing scene...
    2021-05-12 17:42:33.977 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.9   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 126.379 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)
    2021-05-12 17:42:42.008 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.9   IRAY   rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 1.131 GiB for 22 bitmaps (device 0)

It took a minute or two to find. I have been cleaning out my Daz Connect files and thought I was done on Drake, but on Dragon found a stash under Poser files. I had some on Drake too. Today, I get to fix their thumbnails. Thankfully I have the file folder from the other computer, just moved it and can select and drop what I need and just create the ones I didn't have messed up already.

Mary

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    edited May 2021

Ended up getting Jada and both bundles - the character is pretty cool and I like the 70s vibe (as long as I don't have to wear most of it myself LOL)

Here she is with some older items...

jada test 2.jpg
    717 x 893 - 294K
    Post edited by Nath on

@Nath, She is a lovely character and I love your pose and lights. The outfit is one I enjoy working with too and looks great on her. I can't place her hair, I think I have it but... with my DS files a mess right now, I can't find it. But it is so right for the elegance of her total look.

Mary

Thanks!

The pose is from one of Jepe's Cinematic Props and Poses sets for M8. The hair is https://www.daz3d.com/artisan-hair-for-genesis-8-females, and I've used an HDRI from https://www.daz3d.com/color-shock-2 with a ghost light to get some more light on her face.

I didn't have the hair nor the lights, so both on wishlist now. Thanks!

Checked and I have all of the prop and pose sets for Michael 8, and found the pose in #3. Those sets are excellent.

@nath  She looks really good! 

Thanks!

I buy very few characters anymore, but she's good enough that I don't regret making an exception  :-) So this month, DAZ gets a bit more of my money...

@nath  She looks really good! 

Here's something to give you a smile this morning. What a great trooper the weather gal was!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

That was funny!

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Loved that weather report blooper!

Oh I loved that report! She wore the perfect dress for it too.

edited May 2021

I just spent a few days researching graphic tablets since I'm working on my book in earnest and using some of the products I own. So I decided on the Wacom Cintiq 16. I researched driver issues, color, calibration, the surface feel (aka what resembles paper), the nibs (hard plastic, felt)  and most importantly lag issues. The Cintiq 16 does NOT disappoint!  I literally said, "Oh my god!" When I did my first stroke. 

So bottom line, the reliability of the business (from Japan) and the great customer service reputation (from what I read) also helped me decide. So did the price for what you get. Here's a video from a former Disney artist, Aaron Blaise, and his reaction too is priceless. The pen has over EIGHT THOUSAND LEVELS of pressure and only comes with the Cintiq 16 up. I got tired of my hand cramping up drawing with a mouse, and so far, I think the $650 ($700 after tax) is SO WORTH IT. I cut back my Daz spending the past two months (even during MM which I mainly got the PC+ for a day items, and picked up a few other things) so it easily helped pay for this, along with my early birthday money (end of June.) 

For me, it was a smart move to get a downright fun tablet and be able to use a pen so it's just like regular drawing. Again, I'm not technical, so for all of you who haven't tried a pen display tablet (where you draw on the tablet, you don't watch the computer screen-aka what you do when using a mouse) this one is so easy to set up and use.  Aaron's video will show you.

What I wasn't sure of, was how it interacted with my Titan laptop. Well, whatever appears on my laptop appears on the Cintiq, so cool!  All I did was calibrate the pen like he shows in the video, and away I went. Then I went back (with a mere bottom click of the pen) into the settings and hardened up the firmness and I was all set. Love this!

I am not buying the gadget which saves hotkeys, I just CTRL Z on the laptop to undo, no big deal. I don't need an 80 dollar gadget to do that. (Can also just bottom click the pen for undo.) I am not getting the stand right now either as the 19 degree tilt which comes with the built in legs is perfect for me. (That's another 80 dollars.)  

So if you use Photoshop or other graphics programs, this is a breeze to work in those (works in Luminar too, and the Corel graphics suites (I used in Corel Photo Paint already.) Very versatile. Whatever you see on your computer, you see on the Wacom. It's neat! 

So for those of you with graphics tablets, what do you use? 

Post edited by Novica on

I have a 13 inch Huion - also great fun to use, and so much more accurate than the pen on my touchscreen laptop.

Nath said:

I have a 13 inch Huion - also great fun to use, and so much more accurate than the pen on my touchscreen laptop.

I read good things about the Huion too. :) 

I've come up against something annoying. And it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Wacom because I totally  disconnected it, shut down the computer, and still having issues. Suddenly it won't save anything as a jpeg, and the settings are all the same (8 bit, RGB) and the file size isn't massive. So I saved as TIFF then in Corel Photo Paint switched it to JPEG (for the book.)  Reading up on TIFFS, apparently I should be using those when saving changes, and only do the final as JPEG. Every time you save a JPEG apparently you lose some of the quality, while TIFFS are lossless compression. Huh. 

• LynnInDenverLynnInDenver Posts: 147

TIFFs can do more than JPG... does the software you use do layers? I know in Photoshop, you can save layers in a TIFF file, you literally can't do that with JPEG, so it won't let you save it that way. TIFF also lets you do lossless compression, but I never use that feature because I work in printing, and that did break being able to print a file using a TIFF back over 20 years ago, so the ability to compress TIFF internally is something I stopped using as a feature and never really reevaluated.

The puzzling thing is I was working between Photoshop and Corel Photo Paint, and it was letting me bring in JPEGs and create new layers/do additional work, then Save As a JPEG again on the way out. Then it suddenly stopped letting me do that, even with the correct RGB and 8 bit setting.