New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

I have a very old watcom tablet with a pressure pen. I really haven't used it much in recent years. That ability to see the screen on the tablet is awesome. I'm in the midst of rebuilding my computer, may have to add one of these as that would make it so much more useful.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

After using it for an evening, I reallyl am glad I switched over from the mouse. While I'm extremely good with a mouse, this is just 5,000x EASIER.  I love the calibration depending on where you're sitting. If you work in front of a laptop with the tablet to the right, you calibrate it from the tablet's left. It's cool- an + appears in the upper left corner, you tap the nib in the middle of it. Then one appears upper right, tap, then the bottom two corners. So the pen knows the angle you will be using. Cool! 

What I didn't realize was the laptop screen appears on the tablet, for some reason I was thinking you turned on your graphics program, and clicked a button or something to activate the graphics program there. 

@rgcincy  Just curious- whatcha doing with your computer? 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited May 2021

Novica said:

I just spent a few days researching graphic tablets since I'm working on my book in earnest and using some of the products I own. So I decided on the Wacom Cintiq 16. I researched driver issues, color, calibration, the surface feel (aka what resembles paper), the nibs (hard plastic, felt)  and most importantly lag issues. The Cintiq 16 does NOT disappoint!  I literally said, "Oh my god!" When I did my first stroke. 

So bottom line, the reliability of the business (from Japan) and the great customer service reputation (from what I read) also helped me decide. So did the price for what you get. Here's a video from a former Disney artist, Aaron Blaise, and his reaction too is priceless. The pen has over EIGHT THOUSAND LEVELS of pressure and only comes with the Cintiq 16 up. I got tired of my hand cramping up drawing with a mouse, and so far, I think the $650 ($700 after tax) is SO WORTH IT. I cut back my Daz spending the past two months (even during MM which I mainly got the PC+ for a day items, and picked up a few other things) so it easily helped pay for this, along with my early birthday money (end of June.) 

For me, it was a smart move to get a downright fun tablet and be able to use a pen so it's just like regular drawing. Again, I'm not technical, so for all of you who haven't tried a pen display tablet (where you draw on the tablet, you don't watch the computer screen-aka what you do when using a mouse) this one is so easy to set up and use.  Aaron's video will show you.

What I wasn't sure of, was how it interacted with my Titan laptop. Well, whatever appears on my laptop appears on the Cintiq, so cool!  All I did was calibrate the pen like he shows in the video, and away I went. Then I went back (with a mere bottom click of the pen) into the settings and hardened up the firmness and I was all set. Love this!

I am not buying the gadget which saves hotkeys, I just CTRL Z on the laptop to undo, no big deal. I don't need an 80 dollar gadget to do that. (Can also just bottom click the pen for undo.) I am not getting the stand right now either as the 19 degree tilt which comes with the built in legs is perfect for me. (That's another 80 dollars.)  

So if you use Photoshop or other graphics programs, this is a breeze to work in those (works in Luminar too, and the Corel graphics suites (I used in Corel Photo Paint already.) Very versatile. Whatever you see on your computer, you see on the Wacom. It's neat! 

So for those of you with graphics tablets, what do you use? 

I have an old, circo 2012, Wacom Bamboo. For that hardware you can't see the screen on the tablet but instead on the computer it's connected too. It's not horrible but I'm not a really talented drawer even on pen and paper but I can do well enough with repetition and stubbornness; so then if the Cintiq 16 is as good as you say maybe I'll buy one next year. Or, maybe it will be a Cintiq 17 by next year. I'm really only interested in such hardware for sculpting and texturing in Blender and possible Marvelous Designer. I'm not interested in doing a lot of 2D art in Photoscopt or other such hardware although I'm sure it's quite good at it as they is no doubt Wacom's #1 driver of sales, Photoshop users.

Thanks for the review. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

@nonesuch00  We had a Bamboo too, years ago, and we couldn't find it when we all starting searching. My son took it with him to Connecticut- he thinks-LOL- yeah, so we have multiple household users who may have had it in their possession, who moved several times. I think the 16" is the perfect size, it's about from the tip of my third finger down to where my elbow bends in length, if that gives folks an idea without measuring. (And I have long, thin arms.) 

I like the pen, it has the clickable part running down the pen and if you click the bottom (easy to do, just slide a finger) you get a mini menu which includes Undo. That's all I need. (ALOT he he he)

Aha, just found out in settings you can change what that click on the pen can do. I changed it to UNDO for the top part of the pen so now I am just buzzing along! 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

@rgcincy  Just curious- whatcha doing with your computer? 

I built my desktop from components in 2014 so I could replace parts that failed or upgrade to better parts. I started doing that after a couple of computers my wife and I had suffered early deaths and it turned out they used non-standard sized components so you couldn't replace the broken part (planned obsolescence). I've already replaced the hard drives a couple of times (1TB to 2 TB to 4 TB) and the boot SSD drive to larger capacity as SSD prices dropped. Last year I added more RAM, a new GPU, and a higher watt power unit to run it. Now I'm going to put in a new motherboard and CPU, upgrade to faster USB ports, and go to Win 10 on a new SSD so I'll have two boot drives I can choose between (the older being Win 7). Thinking about what I need for VR too. What I like about building my own computer is once you have the components it only takes an afternoon to put it all together so nice to have the flexibility. I'm also lucky we have a Microcenter in town so prices are cheap and readily accessible and the help is very knowledgeable about the components.. 

• LynnInDenverLynnInDenver Posts: 147

Yeah, in my experience Photoshop doesn't allow you to save JPEG without flattening the image. If it was, then something was clearly wrong, or you were actually saving a Photoshop or TIFF file instead of a JPEG.

LynnInDenver said:

Yeah, in my experience Photoshop doesn't allow you to save JPEG without flattening the image. If it was, then something was clearly wrong, or you were actually saving a Photoshop or TIFF file instead of a JPEG.

Nope, it was a jpeg. I saved the psd, then saved the jpeg and had to literally select jpeg from the list of extensions. 

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    edited May 2021

Novica said:

Aha, just found out in settings you can change what that click on the pen can do. I changed it to UNDO for the top part of the pen so now I am just buzzing along! 

I decided to go with the new ipad pro 12.9 with the M1 and new screen for doing most things art and music. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited May 2021

A thought for you if you haven't used your PC+ coupon yet- the FG Military Barracks is also a DO so you can take $6 off it using the Daz Originals coupon. It goes about 73% off IIRC.  A great price for a set like that. Only $6.23

Post edited by Novica on

Aw, did you guys see this in the gallery?

This is a fun looking vehicle in the main promo. It's not listed, anyone know what it is? I love the rounded corners and overall appearance.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,267
    edited May 2021

Novica said:

This is a fun looking vehicle in the main promo. It's not listed, anyone know what it is? I love the rounded corners and overall appearance.

https://www.daz3d.com/car-edi--tracer

Showing to be $2.99 at the moment

Post edited by Robert Freise on

Robert Freise said:

Novica said:

https://www.daz3d.com/car-edi--tracer

Showing to be $2.99 at the moment

Ah, thanks Robert!!  I have it already, and it looks like a fun vehicle. 

• SkyewolfSkyewolf Posts: 474

Novica said:

LynnInDenver said:

Nope, it was a jpeg. I saved the psd, then saved the jpeg and had to literally select jpeg from the list of extensions. 

I've noticed this in the latest update to photoshop. Now anything besides PS proprietary I have to do a "save as copy" . jpeg, png, whatever. I think it's new. 

@skyewolf  You know, there was an update and that may indeed be it! Thanks for pointing that out.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I couldn't get used to wacom, but I love drawing on my large ipad pro.  I use paperlike as a screen cover and it feels like drawing on paper and makes a huge difference. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Just checking in to see if anyone is buying anything. Although I purchased a discounted gift card, I haven’t been purchasing any products because the deals are so bad and they keep giving unadvertised perks to Season Pass people and I’m not going to pay more or get less freebies than others so I just don’t buy anything. I hate this whole season pass thing. I don’t like G8.1 PBR skin. I don’t like that EVERY DAY the sales are screwed up and they supposedly “fixed” the store. Might just save my store credit for the next $2.99 or $1.99 sale.

I feel like things have drastically changed here starting when they stopped pro-bundles and created dual bundles with the same core character and bundles which included old products, G8.1, NFTs, Season Pass and I think I’m Dazzed out. I have WAY more than enough products anyway but it used to be actually fun to shop here. Now it’s just depressing.

• EtaminEtamin Posts: 126

Yes, I feel the same way.  Season pass was too expensive a gamble for an unknown return - and given the history of recent releases before the SP, I was even less inclined to gamble that the return would be worth it.  I am glad I did not buy in. 

I think I will continue my PC+ membership as it pays for itself with the monthly coupons, and makes the big sales worth looking at.  At least, PC+ has made the big sales worth it up to now - I will monitor this autumn in case they break those as well.

Wonderland said:

Just checking in to see if anyone is buying anything. Although I purchased a discounted gift card, I haven’t been purchasing any products because the deals are so bad and they keep giving unadvertised perks to Season Pass people and I’m not going to pay more or get less freebies than others so I just don’t buy anything. I hate this whole season pass thing. I don’t like G8.1 PBR skin. I don’t like that EVERY DAY the sales are screwed up and they supposedly “fixed” the store. Might just save my store credit for the next $2.99 or $1.99 sale.

I feel like things have drastically changed here starting when they stopped pro-bundles and created dual bundles with the same core character and bundles which included old products, G8.1, NFTs, Season Pass and I think I’m Dazzed out. I have WAY more than enough products anyway but it used to be actually fun to shop here. Now it’s just depressing.

@wonderland   Let's put it this way, I got $150 of store credit when it was something like 35% off, and I still have $90 of it after a month or more has gone by.  I've spent it  mostly on (wait for it) Fast Grab. I have picked up a set or two at 60% off I think. Product Library searches are not working right and ReadMe s don't show up, so I just don't shop because dealing with what I've already got is quite taxing.  I'm not categorizing products because of these failures, I need to be USING the products I have so I'm working on the book. And then rinse, repeat, having to work hard at finding things keeps me out of the store. 

That along with what you mentioned about dual bundles, and having products in bundles we already own, really does make it depressing, agreed. The discount banners don't always make sense (but at least they're making an effort.)  However, the deals without the banners are lackluster to me, aka I am not spending 25.00 to get a 5% stacking discount. If you were going to buy the stuff anyway, it works for you though. But as an incentive, for me it fell flat. 

I think the market is saturated in a lot of topic areas, yet sadly lacking in so many others. That thread asking for suggestions of what buyers want is full of good ideas, but we have bedrooms and bathroom galore (toilet lids, anyone?)  Where are the persian cats? ANY cats?  Toon critters?  Yada yada.

There's always been the issue of QA  failing, but come on- a car that isn't what is shown on the promos? That was a more-than-eye-opening-in-dismay moment.

I've been buying here and there but far less than usual and none of the recent bundles. I also get irrationally irritated when a bundle has older items in it and immediately move on. 

Well they made it worth my time wtih 70 percent off. I needed bugs so it was an easy decision, and I have the toon plane so that was a cheap second item to get the textures. It still didn't use all my store credit- I have two dollars left (had 83.00 not 90 as I previously thought.) Spent 81.00 

Little Friends Insect Bundle

$18.87

37%

Toon Boy and Boyish dForce Outfit for Genesis 8 Male

Toon Boy and Boyish dForce Outfit for Genesis 8 Male

$19.95

$5.99

70%

Toon Girl and Girlish Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Toon Girl and Girlish Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

$19.95

$5.99

70%

The Strange Man Characters and Hair Set for Genesis 8 Male

The Strange Man Characters and Hair Set for Genesis 8 Male

$24.95

$5.24

79%

Indiana Bundle for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Indiana Bundle for Genesis 8 Female(s)

$39.95

$11.99

70%

Aurora for Genesis 8 Female

Aurora for Genesis 8 Female

$18.95

$5.69

70%

Toon Private Plane Iray Textures Add-on

Toon Private Plane Iray Textures Add-on

new

$9.93

$6.26

37%

Romantic Gazebo

Romantic Gazebo

$16.95

$6.78

60%

Amusement Park - Roller Coaster

Amusement Park - Roller Coaster

$19.95

$7.98

60%

Roller Blade for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

Roller Blade for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

$17.95

$7.18

60%

The platinum for a day ($1.99 for Plat members) was pretty awesome too.  I picked up a bunch of new products.  

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I just got some $1.99 items that I passed on for $2.99 and wishing I had waited getting a bunch of stuff for $2.99...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited May 2021

Having fun with previous purchases.

G8M carnivorous plant_002 PS.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    edited May 2021

Apparently, if Daz offers me something for $2 enough times, I will buy it. PCFAD got me too. Picked up maybe 10 items. 

Post edited by Sera on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,267

barbult said:

Seymour didn't run fast enough 

Nicely done

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,779
    edited May 2021

certaintree38 said:

Apparently, if Daz offers me something for $2 enough times, I will buy it. PCFAD got me too. Picked up maybe 10 items. 

LOL. I only got one item (Diana),  but yeah, I had passed her over twice before. Funny how that works.

The character is great, btw. It´s just that I already have several characters with a similar look.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Robert Freise said:

barbult said:

Seymour didn't run fast enough 

Nicely done

And all he was trying to do was water it. laugh

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Hylas said:

certaintree38 said:

LOL. I only got one item (Diana),  but yeah, I had passed her over twice before. Funny how that works.

The character is great, btw. It´s just that I already have several characters with a similar look.

I just recently started experimenting with toon looks, so I picked up a few females with less detailed skin. I also picked up an old item (The Otherworldly) that I really wanted once upon a time. That was more of a nostalgia thing than anything. I got two environments, one (Ispirazione) which I actually really like, and one (Feeling) which has good bones but will need some shader love to suit my style. I got a few outfits, males, and pose sets as well. It was all stuff I had passed over many times before. I've had a chance to load everything up, and I am mostly happy. If the skin isn't good, the morph is nice. If the morphs are meh, the eyebrows and bonus items are worthwhile. 

But I really have to slow down when it comes to picking up ladies. I don't want a 20 minute load time. blush