Brooke 8.1... Yes, finally ! ! !

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,790
    edited April 2021

Not sure if she's going to be useful to me, but I think she looks high quality. I think she's inspired by Lena Dunham.

But I don't understand the marketing at all. I think a "socialite" in 2021 would have a more botoxed face and possibly a different body. Not a value judgement either way, I just don't think her look and the marketing sync up. And why is Zak in that bundle?

Post edited by Hylas on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited April 2021

jakiblue said:

I really like her body (except the upper arms/elbow look weird to me), but her lips just look waaay too thin. Her skin - which is mainly the reason I buy a core character - looks...odd. Bump too high maybe? It looks like she’s slathered on the foundation. The bundle is ridiculous. Over priced for what it is. 

This is the end of Genesis 8, isn’t it? It’s 8.1 from here on in. Sigh.

...so G8 lasted 3 years and 9 months  Well that definitely is the end of the road for my purchasing of any new figures as at least, G8 can be converted to G3 and I don't need to update my version of the Daz programme to one with bugs in it which doesn't work as well with older hardware as the version I have.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962
    edited April 2021

ArgleSW said:

Toenails look like they have fungus, skin texture looks like popcorn ceiling, and the eyes look like glassy marbles. I think these issues can be solved by tweaking the character a bit. The artists just need to calm down with the "subtle" details a bit. 

Oh God, is that her toes?

Post edited by ALLIEKATBLUE on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

That is my problem, I have already purchased more than 600 Genesis 8 Female characters so far,

because I thought I will kitbash them at some point.

That is totally wrong thinking on my side, because I will never have enough time to really use them.

The only bright side is, that I have probably helped a little Daz 3D and the other Published Artists to reach their goal:

sell something here.

• blazblaz Posts: 261
    edited April 2021

It seems I'm the only one that likes the textures.

Here's Brooke reporting undercover.

Brooke.11.jpg
    3840 x 2560 - 5M
    Post edited by blaz on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

I guess I will focus on what I DO like in the bundle. I like Zak and the lingerie a lot. I like the hair and tenements but have enough similar to it. For now, all four go in my wishlist. I won’t mention what I don’t like... 

I was going to say Zak’s skin looks great for G8.1, then realized it was iRay, not PBR....

Just realized I could maybe use the poses too, but can G8.1 poses be used on G8?

I’m beginning to realize that I actually like everything in the bundle EXCEPT Brooke, but that’s not unusual for me, I’m not a big fan of core characters which is why I didn’t opt in to the new offer. 

edited April 2021

https://www.daz3d.com/zak-hd-for-genesis-81-male

"Zak HD uses the Genesis 8.1 UV and the Iray PBR skin shader."

What is the difference? Does it exist only PBR and not Iray skin shader?

Post edited by Artini on
    edited April 2021

Artini said:

https://www.daz3d.com/zak-hd-for-genesis-81-male

"Zak HD uses the Genesis 8.1 UV and the Iray PBR skin shader."

Oh, I just saw this at the bottom:  

• Daz Studio Iray Material Presets (.DUF)

If that’s PBR, it’s the first time I’ve seen it look good, so I guess there’s hope for it! 

I rarely use males, but I really like Zak! If there was any other character but Brooke as the core character, I may have purchased the bundle for everything else, but Brooke, ugh, just can’t...

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • Chou-VertChou-Vert Posts: 122

I'm wondering, is Zak HD, pool-boy-toy or GBF?

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Artini said:

All Iray skin shaders are PBR materials, since they come with albedo, roughness, and normal maps (among others). For whatever reason, Daz decided to name their new skin shader the "PBR" skin shader, even though all the old ones were already PBR materials. AFAICT, it just adds more microfacets to the skin. So it's basically a super-duper bump map you apply over the regular bump map.

Ok, thanks for confirmation. I have also thought, that PBR skin shader is just a version of the iray one.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

blaz said:

Here's Brooke reporting undercover.

Her skin looks great there! I wonder if anyone can get it to look that good in low light? 

I actually really like her body, and I loved the promos of her in a slinky dress and belly dancing outfit. Those outfits are sexy and flatter her. But the dress in the bundle doesn't flatter her so much. At least her BF, Zak, is pretty good-looking. The NY tenements seem kinda redundant. We already have tenements like that in the store, by the same PA. But W/E.

The marketing does seem all over the place. On the Season Pass page, where they give the details of the contest, it says she is in the business industry. On her product page, she is described as being a News Anchor. And the marketing for her bundle calls her "Famous for being famous." When someone is in the News industry, you might call it communications, but I've never heard it referred to as the "business industry." Those are two separate things. Business people run businesses. People in communications write or talk for the masses. Additionally, when someone is "Famous for being famous," you are saying that they have no actual talents or merits. It's a term used on reality television stars like The Real Housewives, or the Kardashians, or The Girls Next Door. I can see how they might have confused "Being famous" for "Being Famous for Being Famous," but if the woman is famous for being a News Anchor, or a savvy business woman, then she's not "famous for being famous." 

If I were going to enter the contest, I might wonder which story I was supposed to tell, with so many narratives going on at once. Probably safest to stick to the business thing. 

I wishlisted Zak and the hair. I will probably wait longer to get Brooke, since I only want her for her body and mixing. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,702
    edited April 2021

Novica said:

@benniewoodell   As Leana said, but to put it as a certainty- you CAN open a support ticket to get the badge hidden. Richard said so a couple days ago in the season pass thread.

Theoretically.... But I put in a ticket for this last Wednesday, and I still have a badge; so, it doesn't seem like removing it is a real thing. 

EDIT: Posting here worked. It was removed an hour and a half after this post.

Post edited by xyer0 on

Artini said:

Ok, thanks for confirmation. I have also thought, that PBR skin shader is just a version of the iray one.

But it’s different. It removes some capabilities of the original iRay shaders like scatter/transmit I believe and so far has looked less realistic IMO until Zak.  

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

margrave said:

Artini said:

All Iray skin shaders are PBR materials, since they come with albedo, roughness, and normal maps (among others). For whatever reason, Daz decided to name their new skin shader the "PBR" skin shader, even though all the old ones were already PBR materials. AFAICT, it just adds more microfacets to the skin. So it's basically a super-duper bump map you apply over the regular bump map.

Haha don't get me started on the name of the new shader. It's so misleading for those who don't know otherwise. 

And I also don't understand the current obsession with the micronormal details. As I said in the other thread...it's just adding a repeating, tiled pattern all over the body. That's not how skin works. Our skin has different patterns and textures depending on what part of the body we're looking at. The back of your hand doesn't have the same texture as the palm...or your cheek or your shoulder. Hell, your cheek has a different texture than your nose or your forehead. They're all different. Repeating the same tiled texture over and over is not the way to go to. I'll keep sticking to my guns in that a well-built and detailed normal, specular, and bump is all you need (texture-wise...so not counting an hd add-on). 

Zak is very handsome, but I feel his face is lighter than his body in the promos and it feels just a little off to me... Anybody else get that impression? Maybe I'm seeing things.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Wonderland said:

But it’s different. It removes some capabilities of the original iRay shaders like scatter/transmit I believe and so far has looked less realistic IMO until Zak.  

It does make some changes, yes. But the old skin shaders were still PBR shaders, so the "Iray shader vs. PBR shader" doesn't exist. The new skin shader is just a different kind of PBR shader which Daz's marketing has decided to treat as if it's the first PBR shader ever.

• shadem980shadem980 Posts: 48
    edited April 2021

I just tried out a quick test regarding the skin and the normals. I still have the HD version applied. Pretty much I doubled the tiling number for the micro normal in both, but one I turned off the base normal and then put it to 1 for the other. In general, I am thinking it is just better to play with the surface settings to find what kind of look you are after than just using the default.

brooke hd no normal with micro normal x2 tiling.jpg
    2472 x 4000 - 1M
    brooke hd with normal with micro normal x2 tiling.jpg
    2472 x 4000 - 1M
    Post edited by shadem980 on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Hylas said:

Zak is very handsome, but I feel his face is lighter than his body in the promos and it feels just a little off to me... Anybody else get that impression? Maybe I'm seeing things.

His head seemed a touch large in the promos. But I wasn't sure if that was foreshortening. 

edited April 2021

Serene Night said:

Hylas said:

His head seemed a touch large in the promos. But I wasn't sure if that was foreshortening. 

I mean his skin tone, though. I feel the complexion of his head and body don't quite match.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Hylas said:

Serene Night said:

Hylas said:

I mean his skin tone, though. I feel the complexion of his head and body don't quite match.

Zak's head does seem paler, and bigger to me than would be my personal taste. 

• Jabba said:

Finally somebody who isn't all muscles and tight skin - this is the realism I've been wanting - a step closer to my Frazetta ideal.

I would imagine the "problem" with too much realism is that perfection sells, but I really hope Brooke is a success and we get more characters along these lines.

But what's Zak doing in the bundle?  Maybe her boyfriend, so Brooke might be a bit of a cougar, hehehe.

She's great! I contributed to the bundle with that Breaking News Props and Poses product and pose products are not my niche. It's just she is such a great character I was easily inspired to want to bring her to life via some kind of animated outlet. I treated her with the proper care a unique character as herself deserves.

She has a certain individualism about her and it was infectous. What's great is that Daz is making strides in delivering these type of unique characters and the best part is, the end result is amazing.

I'm glad you like her and just like you I hope to see more like her in the future and it seems Daz knows that too!

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    A less than stellar launch for the season pass. I skipped Micheal 8.1 because I had little use for any more 18 to 22 yo characters. The bundle prices were a joke. Eventually they'll end up on sale for a decent price or as a giveaway. If the Brooke bundle were a true pro bundle and had a decent price with decent discounts, I might have considered it. A piddly little 15%, and only 4 add-on products? That's it? I don't bother with HD. I have a couple only because they were free with the bundle. Tried them, wasn't impressed so I don't put the money into them. I want an HD character, I have plenty by PA's and didn't pay any where near what DAZ is asking. They think 8.1 textures are the first PBR. Think they ought to check with Catherine at Mech4d. I've been buying PBR textures from her all the way back to Gen4/Genesis.
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

ParallaxCreates said:

Jabba said:

Finally somebody who isn't all muscles and tight skin - this is the realism I've been wanting - a step closer to my Frazetta ideal.

I would imagine the "problem" with too much realism is that perfection sells, but I really hope Brooke is a success and we get more characters along these lines.

But what's Zak doing in the bundle?  Maybe her boyfriend, so Brooke might be a bit of a cougar, hehehe.

She's great! I contributed to the bundle with that Breaking News Props and Poses product and pose products are not my niche. It's just she is such a great character I was easily inspired to want to bring her to life via some kind of animated outlet. I treated her with the proper care a unique character as herself deserves.

She has a certain individualism about her and it was infectous. What's great is that Daz is making strides in delivering these type of unique characters and the best part is, the end result is amazing.

I'm glad you like her and just like you I hope to see more like her in the future and it seems Daz knows that too!

The camera positioning is completely wrong I am afraid. The camera has a rest for the shoulder but the cameraman in the promos are holding the cameras in the air :) The whole idea for a big TV camera is that you can have the camera rest on your shoulder and produce steady shots... maybe you can update that?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Hylas said:

And why is Zak in that bundle?

Brooke is famous, and Zak is her stalker?

ParallaxCreates said:

So this is the shape of things to come?

ParallaxCreates said:

Jabba said:

I would have purchased the bundle if a Mousso type character was the core character and this would have made more sense as far as the marketing. I am definitely NOT interested in more characters like Brooke and hope Daz knows that...  

• blazblaz Posts: 261

certaintree38 said:

blaz said:

Here's Brooke reporting undercover

Her skin looks great there! I wonder if anyone can get it to look that good in low light? 

I actually really like her body, and I loved the promos of her in a slinky dress and belly dancing outfit. Those outfits are sexy and flatter her. But the dress in the bundle doesn't flatter her so much. At least her BF, Zak, is pretty good-looking. The NY tenements seem kinda redundant. We already have tenements like that in the store, by the same PA. But W/E.

The marketing does seem all over the place. On the Season Pass page, where they give the details of the contest, it says she is in the business industry. On her product page, she is described as being a News Anchor. And the marketing for her bundle calls her "Famous for being famous." When someone is in the News industry, you might call it communications, but I've never heard it referred to as the "business industry." Those are two separate things. Business people run businesses. People in communications write or talk for the masses. Additionally, when someone is "Famous for being famous," you are saying that they have no actual talents or merits. It's a term used on reality television stars like The Real Housewives, or the Kardashians, or The Girls Next Door. I can see how they might have confused "Being famous" for "Being Famous for Being Famous," but if the woman is famous for being a News Anchor, or a savvy business woman, then she's not "famous for being famous." 

If I were going to enter the contest, I might wonder which story I was supposed to tell, with so many narratives going on at once. Probably safest to stick to the business thing. 

I wishlisted Zak and the hair. I will probably wait longer to get Brooke, since I only want her for her body and mixing. 

I find a lot of DAZ originals (that look Caucasian to me), to be too dark. Most of them I can brighten up with shader settings. Victoria 8.1 is great at that. You can make her really pale and still natural. Brooke though, is giving me some trouble.

I still haven't decided about the bundle. I like most of it, but I'm kind of ticked that the HD (that i paid for) does not account for discount for the add-ons. And that i would have to buy 2 add-ons to get the extra 50% of the Famous Highlights.

If I do decide to enter the contest, I have an idea for which it wont really matter if she is a reporter or a fashion consultant.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

...that is why I rely on Zev0's Skin Builder plugin.  Even with G3, what was supposed to be a "fair" complexion turned out darker than in RL.  Adjusting the tone map render settings to compensate tends to "overexpose" the surroundings and messing with the gamma isn't a good alternative. 

Some skin textures even tended to look a bit "orange".

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,591

Wonderland said:

ParallaxCreates said:

Jabba said:

I would have purchased the bundle if a Mousso type character was the core character and this would have made more sense as far as the marketing. I am definitely NOT interested in more characters like Brooke and hope Daz knows that...  

that is probably a tough call. While I agree with you, it seems that anytime a hot, young, model type female character is released, the forum erupts with displeasure over yet another one, lack of variety, or lacking in details, yet they are still released regularly which probably means they are selling and the vocal minority in the forums are not the target audience. Kinda makes me wonder, when a niche, mature, outside the box character is released a few on the forums praise her, but are they really selliing well or do the majority of users just pass on them.