Brooke 8.1... Yes, finally ! ! !

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,452
    edited April 2021

maybe my eyes are terrible, but she looks like a digital character to me. 3D graphics. What's interesting about that, she can be anyone we want her to be? What a concept, isn't it? Don't need to stick with the script written or implied. 
    The promo renders have the bump way overblown. A couple of the later renders look really nice, and now I'm inclined to buy her a bit more. 

Is the next character Brock 8.1? 

Post edited by daveso on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

The thing is, although I don’t like Brooke, I do like the rest of the bundle and back in the day, I often purchased bundles even when I didn’t like the core character because the deals were good. There were more items in the bundle and you usually got a substantial amount of freebies and/or old bundles with it. There seems to be no incentives to buy bundles anymore at release time. I will most likely purchase this bundle at some point in the future when heavily discounted (or cherry pick the items, whichever is cheaper.) But it seems Daz has drastically changed their marketing and the excitement over bundles and deals is sadly over.

• jimmyzpopjimmyzpop Posts: 116

Wolfwood said:

Pros: Shape

Cons: Everything else

This! I love her shape and very glad she is a base model. Not much of a fan of the skin like others are saying. Victora 8.1 skin is so well done and life like that it makes alot of the other 8.1 skins look fake / cartoonish and unaplealing to me.    

• Vyusur said:

Here is Brooke with Noemi skin.

I like this render, but can't use the figure. However I love the skirt texture. Is it available someplace? 

• EnvixerEnvixer Posts: 58

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Vyusur said:

I like this render, but can't use the figure. However I love the skirt texture. Is it available someplace? 

That's from the Pastel Goth outfit for G8. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,708
    edited April 2021

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Vyusur said:

@Envixer https://www.daz3d.com/pastel-goth-outfit-for-genesis-8-female-s 

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • ParallaxCreatesParallaxCreates Posts: 391
    edited April 2021

Post edited by Chohole on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Vyusur said:

Now, THIS looks great ;).

Laurie 

• sidsid Posts: 400

Some tests renders I dropped in the Blender thread with the default Iray shader (first two Blender, last Daz). I think she'll be useful and I always have to adjust the shaders once in Blender anyhow. (Rendered unadjusted here).

brooketest.jpg
    6937 x 3000 - 5M
  • vwrangler said:

Jabba said:

Finally somebody who isn't all muscles and tight skin - this is the realism I've been wanting - a step closer to my Frazetta ideal.

I would imagine the "problem" with too much realism is that perfection sells, but I really hope Brooke is a success and we get more characters along these lines.

But what's Zak doing in the bundle?  Maybe her boyfriend, so Brooke might be a bit of a cougar, hehehe.

Looks like they've finally put a character somewhere near where Bethany 7 was aimed -- although she is shorter and looks a bit older. (I'd swear that face is modeled after someone famous; it looks really familiar somehow.)

I think she looks a bit like Sherry Stringfield from "ER" - except she had blonde hair.  I just can't see a use for her in my art. 

See the source image

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

Wonderland said:

The thing is, although I don’t like Brooke, I do like the rest of the bundle and back in the day, I often purchased bundles even when I didn’t like the core character because the deals were good. There were more items in the bundle and you usually got a substantial amount of freebies and/or old bundles with it. There seems to be no incentives to buy bundles anymore at release time. I will most likely purchase this bundle at some point in the future when heavily discounted (or cherry pick the items, whichever is cheaper.) But it seems Daz has drastically changed their marketing and the excitement over bundles and deals is sadly over.

Yeah, whether they know it or not, DAZ's marketing people have been increasingly making the purchase of a bundle a much worse deal than simply waiting for the inevitable point where they start giving all the contents away.  Top that off with the fact that the entire Gen 8.1 rollout has been sadly lacking, with the majority of "8.1" releases lacking all of the 8.1 features, skin shaders that are more difficult to make look attractive than the older Gen 3 and 8 skins, and requiring the latest and still buggy version of DS.  Up until 8.1 I'd bought every single base figure that DAZ has ever released, but after buying V8.1 and M8.1 as a test base, I only grudgingly picked up Cleopatra and have subsequently passed on the rest of the G8.1s completely because the figures haven't been all that interesting and the bundle deals have been terrible.    

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

This sure seems like a very strange way to start off the big Daz season pass. LOL.

I like the concept of variety of body shapes, but not so much the execution. The biggest problem is the skin looks so very bad on her in many of her shots. The pic of Brook with BJ Naomi skin should be embarrassing to every single person in the building (or working remotely) for Daz. Just imagine if Brook looked something like that, she would sell so much better. People would be celebrating their season passes. You guys need to figure this out. Victoria 8.1 had OK skin and appeared to signal a tiny step forward in that regard. But after that we have had cartoonish skins and sand paper. I mean, I can look at my own skin, the skin of a man, and see that my skin is FAR more smooth than poor Brook's. Why is Brook's skin so bumpy? I know this sounds harsh, but for crying out loud this is really getting bad. Stop it. Instead of trying to pump out content for the sake of content you seriously need to focus on the quality of the content. This is getting out of hand.

Daz core characters should be setting the standard for what Daz Genesis can be. If you guys want me to buy core characters, you need to make good core characters. It really should not be that hard. I don't know if it is time restraints pushing people to get these out the door or what, but the end result is not good. Core characters are becoming a joke.

Quality products will sell. I believe quality products will sell better than marketing a season pass for less than stellar products. Is such an idea crazy talk?

Is what I am saying wrong? Am I wrong in this assessment? While some people seem to like Brook, there are a lot of comments regarding some element of questionable quality in this bundle, even from people that like her.

And that doesn't even touch the completely wack backstory on this character and how her bundle makes no logical sense whatsoever, or the pricing of everything.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited April 2021

outrider42 said:

This sure seems like a very strange way to start off the big Daz season pass. LOL.

I like the concept of variety of body shapes, but not so much the execution. The biggest problem is the skin looks so very bad on her in many of her shots. The pic of Brook with BJ Naomi skin should be embarrassing to every single person in the building (or working remotely) for Daz. Just imagine if Brook looked something like that, she would sell so much better. People would be celebrating their season passes. You guys need to figure this out. Victoria 8.1 had OK skin and appeared to signal a tiny step forward in that regard. But after that we have had cartoonish skins and sand paper. I mean, I can look at my own skin, the skin of a man, and see that my skin is FAR more smooth than poor Brook's. Why is Brook's skin so bumpy? I know this sounds harsh, but for crying out loud this is really getting bad. Stop it. Instead of trying to pump out content for the sake of content you seriously need to focus on the quality of the content. This is getting out of hand.

Daz core characters should be setting the standard for what Daz Genesis can be. If you guys want me to buy core characters, you need to make good core characters. It really should not be that hard. I don't know if it is time restraints pushing people to get these out the door or what, but the end result is not good. Core characters are becoming a joke.

Quality products will sell. I believe quality products will sell better than marketing a season pass for less than stellar products. Is such an idea crazy talk?

Is what I am saying wrong? Am I wrong in this assessment? While some people seem to like Brook, there are a lot of comments regarding some element of questionable quality in this bundle, even from people that like her.

And that doesn't even touch the completely wack backstory on this character and how her bundle makes no logical sense whatsoever, or the pricing of everything.

I was quite impressed with Brook but now that you have pointed this out I have gone back and looked at all of the promo pics and, yes, that skin is a moon map after an asteroid shower. Nevertheless, I commonly switch between skins on characters so I'm sure people will be repeating the Naomi switch (and other very nice skins available). I rarely buy new products, even with the New discount, because I'm happy to wait for later sales and bigger discounts but Brook will join my select band of characters at some point.

Post edited by marble on
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited April 2021

This is 100% Brooke 8.1, no HD dialed in.
    I then added 35% 3du's Toon Gen 4, with TG4 Age set to 41.

(I'm in a "Toon" figure mood these days.)

For the skin, I turned down the Normal map to 0.25 and dialed out Detail Weight to 0.00 so that none of the detail maps were on... so you can see what the skin looks like with fewer of the annoying details.

Lights are HDRI from PTF Party Lights.

brooke toon.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 675K
    Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • Now that's adorable.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited April 2021

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think she's gosh darn cute

gdc.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 673K
    Post edited by j cade on
  • Calliope23Calliope23 Posts: 454

I think some of the promo pictures were not necessarily the most flattering to the character, and renders in this thread portray her in a better light. I apologize if I made anyone feel "dumb" for buying the season pass. Nice renders in this thread. yessmiley

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,636

The Blurst of Times said:

This is 100% Brooke 8.1, no HD dialed in.
    I then added 35% 3du's Toon Gen 4, with TG4 Age set to 41.

(I'm in a "Toon" figure mood these days.)

For the skin, I turned down the Normal map to 0.25 and dialed out Detail Weight to 0.00 so that none of the detail maps were on... so you can see what the skin looks like with fewer of the annoying details.

Lights are HDRI from PTF Party Lights.

Cute - with dark hair she could be a toon Amy Lee

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Is Daz trolling us?! 

I like girls with some chub. I think they are really cute.

But the theme for Brooke's next bundle is "Survive your own hunger games."

BROOKE DOES NOT LOOK HUNGRY.  

If she lived in that world she would be a straight-up villain, with all those starving people around her and her hoarding all the goods. There's no way she can hunt enough for an entire district and still feed herself that much. 

Some people will say "why are you paying attention to the flavor text?" But if Daz doesn't want us to read it, they shouldn't put it on the page. 

It's really.... laughable and offensive at this point. They really must be trolling us. 

ParallaxCreates said:

BRILLIANT! 

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited April 2021

I'm glad people like the slightly toonified version of Brooke, anyway. I do like the figure, although I also do tend towards the younger/pinup look myself.

As a pass holder, the new Marksman bundle is $27.43 (after the Season Pass banner discount). I don't know that it makes any more sense than the original bundle, but I can use the fantasy pieces.

One more toonified render. Nothing fancy. Again, I reduced the Normal map to 0.25 and zeroed out the Details Weight, so that's why the skin isn't totally bumpy. (Mostly trying to show the skin rather than the morph since I toonified her...)

brooke toon phone.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 647K
    Post edited by The Blurst of Times on

sid said:

Some tests renders I dropped in the Blender thread with the default Iray shader (first two Blender, last Daz). I think she'll be useful and I always have to adjust the shaders once in Blender anyhow. (Rendered unadjusted here).

Great job! Thanks for the comparison too. Thanks to you and @AZDigitalArtist's Sherry Stringfield comment, I can see that I like Brooke 8.1 with hair framing her face.

Thanks to The Blurst of Times for the perfect renders and for sharing the parameter details. 

• Thanks to those who ID'd the Pastel Goth outfit, going to wishlist it as I like it all. 

I keep coming back to this thread for the renders. Just because I'm not into doing some styles/genres doesn't mean I don't enjoy looking at them.

• sidsid Posts: 400

Thanks, xyer0. I like her face framed too.

I think I want to put her in a bonnet or habit and do a sort of creepy Handmaiden's Tale inspired piece. I don't know if she's the villian, but she's definitely complict in something.

Taking her to the other end of the spectrum, she looks young and adorable in the product images here: https://www.daz3d.com/brooke-and-beautiful-poses-for-brooke-81

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

Spike high heels, not just on a fighting outfit, but a winter outfit for walking in the snow and ice! PAs, I am respectively asking you to think through reality. I woke up this morning to four inches of snow and put on my snow boots just to walk the dog first thing. I had to deal with snow on top of slush on a sidewalk and kept the dog off the 'decorative' rocks that are replacing the grassy areas. I can't imagine how that outfit would survive a fall into the snow and slush. And the fighting outfit, bared legs so she will get sticks stuck into her legs, ankles twisted, fall on her butt... 

I am a pass holder who is passing on the second bundle offered again. If I get anything it may be the hair. Just as I did on the first, by getting Zak, the Tenements, and Natty Hair. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

sid said:

Thanks, xyer0. I like her face framed too.

I think I want to put her in a bonnet or habit and do a sort of creepy Handmaiden's Tale inspired piece. I don't know if she's the villian, but she's definitely complict in something.

Taking her to the other end of the spectrum, she looks young and adorable in the product images here: https://www.daz3d.com/brooke-and-beautiful-poses-for-brooke-81

What I noticed in the renders is that the white top is mostly blown out, while the skin has barely enough light.  She does look nice in the poses, though. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,790

"Hunger Games"...

I like Brooke but the marketing for her is truly deranged laugh

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

memcneil70 said:

Spike high heels, not just on a fighting outfit, but a winter outfit for walking in the snow and ice! PAs, I am respectively asking you to think through reality.

I often wear high heels in the snow and ice. The spikes act as crampons, allowing for easier negotiation through rough terrain.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Hylas said:

"Hunger Games"...

I like Brooke but the marketing for her is truly deranged laugh

I agree since the archery poses clearly depict Merida from Brave.  This seems like a bundle of cobbled-together non-Brooke content.  What would've been nice is additional figures for Brooke. 

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited April 2021

I like her very much, but the promos for the character truly did the best at the model not looking good. No interest in any of the bundles, great as a standalone character, though.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on