Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited March 2022

Complaint:  Arghhh... I broke one of my two 20 year old Dell WinXP machines.crying  I don't know how.  I took it apart and put it together and now it doesn't work.surprise  And there weren't even any left-over screws.frown  It's my oldest machine, the Dell Dimension 2350.  It doesn't even begin to POST anymore. (*Poo.  I've probably zapped the motherboard or CPU*)sad   I took the cooler off and examined the CPU.  I put it back in carefully after cleaning, then put some thermo-paste on it, reattached the cooler & fans but now it does nothing, nada, zip, bupkis.no

'Nother Complaint:  I've also been working on the innards of "George".  Yes, I've pulled him out of his cardboard box on the shelf and laid his guts on my workbench, gave him power, a hard drive, monitor/keyboard/mouse, and a LAN connection, and tried to experiment with using an adapter to convert an old PATA DVD drive to SATA.  It doesn't work, it locks up the POST process just when it's getting started.  (*Boogers!*)sad  A dozen variations of BIOS settings, power cables, data cables, alternate DVD drives, and it still doesn't get past recognizing storage drives when the DVD is connected.  Even if I use a modern SATA DVD, it gets past POST but never finishes booting into Windows10.  It used to work before I stripped George out of his case and away from his original SATA DVD drive. (*Mumble-Grumble*)angry  Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.indecision

Non-complaint:  Who needs a DVD drive anyway?  George's motherboard is new enough to be able to boot the Win10 installation media from a thumbdrive, so who needs a DVD!cheeky  Problem solved.yes  And besides, I recently bought a USB portable DVD drive, just in case.enlightenedcool

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Non complaint; Tomorrow we will have 12 hours of daylight smiley

PerttiA said:

Don't hog it all.  We need some down here too.indecision 

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

Just 7 hours more wink 

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

Just 7 hours more wink 

Y'know..., that's what Amazon does to me to get me to buy something they offer for a good price.  They put those little red letters saying "Only 2 left, hurry!".  The temptation is mighty and my resistance is weak.  That's why I never go grocery shopping while hungry.   So if you still have those 7 hours I'll take 5 of them.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I dressed up for st Patrick's day but have no where to go.

1B87F356-8C9B-46AC-8C8E-E2FB7AE6F3EC.jpeg
    3088 x 2316 - 2M
    262E5314-E3AF-4F9C-B8C1-8C1441C6F100.jpeg
    3088 x 2316 - 2M
    8AAB3E2F-B3D5-4712-A4B7-8672FC8B37D0.jpeg
    3088 x 2316 - 2M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...too tired to go out and celebrate. Besides, it will be a bunch of rowdy drunks anyway. I'll just head to the mini mart across the street and get a pub draught can of Guinness (the one with the little nitrous widget in it to make it pour properly).

kyoto kid said:

...been preoocupied the last few weeks myself with what perttiA alludes to above. 

One should not make fun of serious things, but as the manufacturer of Botox and related fillers stopped delivering their products to our neighbour, it may have serious concequences laugh

Non-Complaint:  Wheee... Spring is back in my kitchen.smiley  The prisms and glass baubles in my kitchen window are again being struck by the morning sun as it now rises between the trees & buildings east of me, and cast their colorful beams on my walls and white appliances.  Wheee, my own private  light show is back!yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Go ahead and laugh.

One should make fun of serious things.  It is important to do so.  Coping.

health care is serious.  fraud is serious

Danny Kaye makes fun of both of these serious things.

https://youtu.be/m1yM2babqZs

edited March 2022

Complaint:  Yep, I killed my oldest computer.crying  

We rejoin our intrepid adventurer after he has packed "George" (a homeless 14 year old HP Pavilion) back into his cardboard box while waiting for new parts, and has resumed working on Promethius (yes, yet another moon of Saturn) the ancient 20 year old Dell Dimension 2350 that was working fine but then failing to POST after having been taken apart and reassembled.frown

Another hour or so of poking and prodding I finally noticed the four diagnostic lights on the back panel next to the PS2 kbd & mouse sockets.  I finally found the manual online and of course the pattern shown by my lights is not one of the ones identified in the manual. Grrrr...angry  But is similar to other light configurations that indicate various types of memory trouble.  So I started swapping RAM around and finally got the system to run well enough to give me a defined error code that says "Your onboard Video is kaput" but not so bluntly.  It actually says "Contact Dell.  VGA problems".  Now normally (in a modern machine) this wouldn't be a problem just insert a graphics card, right?  But this ancient motherboard only has PCI slots, not PCIe.  It doesn't even have an AGP slot for an old type video card.surprise  I have couple of old PCIe graphics cards and a few ancient AGP Video cards in my hoard boxes but none for an original PCI slot.(*sigh*)  I used to, but threw them away years ago.sad

So, what am I going to do with this now dead machine?  I think I'll just button it back up and put it back where it belongs in the room because it, along with the other old Dell machine, and two small spare old flat monitors, serves as a small narrow table and partial wall to the back of my lab bench to hide the rats nest of wires back there.  It's not really worth fixing, even if I had the equipment to diagnose and fix a motherboard.  Not to mention the knowlege.  I ain't a hardware person.  I couldn't design a circut to punch my way out of a paper bag.  (yeah, I know, I mixed my metaphores, but I have a lot of them that just need airing once in a while.)

Non-complaint:  Wheee... more spare parts.smiley  Anybody need two 80GB hard drives?  Or a PCI Firewire card?  Or a Floppy drive?  Or a PCI Modem card?  Or a 250w 20 year old power supply?  Or two 512MB DDR PC2100U RAM modules(one possibly sick)?  Or an Intel Celeron CPU from 2002?  Or two relatively modern, PATA, multi-format, DVDrw drives?  Good stuff for someone who needs it.yes

Complaint:  Hmmm... just now had a thought that perhaps the power supply is giving out and is actually responsible for the memory and/or VGA issues.  Hmmm...  now I have to test that out.  I do have another power supply that I could use.  Sigh, is it worth it? indecision

--- A half hour later. ---

Non-complaint:  Wow, I'm a miracle worker!devil  All I did was put the other RAM module back in and now not only does it finish POST, but it also loads all the way into WinXP and lets me log in again.surprise  Wheee...​yes  So, is't all OK again?  Could still be a weak power supply, but for now I'm ignoring it.  It works now.  Later is another adventure.devil  

I figured out why Floppy drives and disks went away.

edited March 2022

Sfariah said:

I figured out why Floppy drives and disks went away.

It got too hot in the kitchen?  Or...

They couldn't stand up to the pressure?  Or...

They have an inferiority complex?  Or...

Wide, flat cables in a small box is a bad idea?  Or...

Modern drive standards are too "stiff" (in the literal sense of the word)?  

"Enquiring people want to know."

edited March 2022

Complaint:  "Star Trek Discovery" 4th season.  What a collection of completely irritating, unlikable and one-dimensional characters.no  How did this happen?  Yes, the people are mostly the same as previous seasons but the show was new and we were getting used to them but this 4th season's writing is ruining the show.  Everything is a morality play and not even cleverly hidden as such.  These writer's attempts to recapture the original "Star Trek" feeling has gone sideways.  They can't seem to get out of preaching mode.

However, the 2nd season of "Picard" is better.  But I'll ditch "Paramount+" streaming service as soon as I finish the "Picard" season.  There's nothing else on CBS that I feel is worth watching, now or in its archives, except old Star Trek seasons & movies and I've seen them all for decades.  Bye, bye CBS.cheeky

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited March 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  "Start Trek Discovery" 4th season.  What a collection of completely irritating, unlikable and one-dimensional characters.no  How did this happen?  Yes, the people are mostly the same as previous seasons but the show was new and we were getting used to them but this 4th season's writing is ruining the show.  Everything is a morality play and not even cleverly hidden as such.  These writer's attempts to recapture the original "Star Trek" feeling has gone sideways.  They can't seem to get out of preaching mode.

Oddly the original Star Trek series was also largely morality plays.

However, the 2nd season of "Picard" is better.  But I'll ditch "Paramount+" streaming service as soon as I finish the "Picard" season.  There's nothing else on CBS that I feel is worth watching, now or in its archives, except old Star Trek seasons & movies and I've seen them all for decades.  Bye, bye CBS.cheeky

But, but, but the NCAA tournament is on CBS smiley 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  "Start Trek Discovery" 4th season.  What a collection of completely irritating, unlikable and one-dimensional characters.no  How did this happen?  Yes, the people are mostly the same as previous seasons but the show was new and we were getting used to them but this 4th season's writing is ruining the show.  Everything is a morality play and not even cleverly hidden as such.  These writer's attempts to recapture the original "Star Trek" feeling has gone sideways.  They can't seem to get out of preaching mode.

And incredibly hamfisted, at that.

I figured out why Floppy drives and disks went away.  They aren't big enough to hold all or at least most Daz Studio or poser zip files.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

I love the feeling when I go to a scene and will "just make a few little tweaks" but it ends up being an all-day thing.   Pic is rendering now finally!

edited March 2022

Gordig said:

Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

And incredibly hamfisted, at that.

Yeah, I'd heard that they were deliberately trying to recapture the spirit of the original Star Trek.  And yes, I know that the original was morality plays, but in the '60s we ignored that because everything on TV was morality plays sanitized for our healthy consumption.  But it was different enough and had good SciFi so we ancient ones liked it and didn't know how sloppy it really was until the movies and big budgets came along.  I still watch Trek shows, but I'm not entirely thrilled about the direction that the plethora of modern Trek series have taken.  I've sort of lost the thread, or perhaps more accurately, the thread has frayed and lost me.  Or I'm just too damn old to hang on to the fabric.  Regardless,  So far I've watched three episodes of  "ST: Discovery" season 4 and find myself cringing each time I have to listen to another sermon.  Am I watching a space western or am I at bible-school?frown  Please, somebody, tell me it gets better.indecision

edited March 2022

Rezca said:

I love the feeling when I go to a scene and will "just make a few little tweaks" but it ends up being an all-day thing.   Pic is rendering now finally!

You are Sisyphus triumphant!  You finally pushed that rock up over the top and now it's rolling down the other side.yes  Take that, Zeus!cheeky

edited March 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Rezca said:

You are Sisyphus triumphant!  You finally pushed that rock up over the top and now it's rolling down the other side.yes  Take that, Zeus!cheeky

And then it landed in a catapault and was launched back up to the top of the hill  -  had to cancel the render because I realized I never turned the volumetrics back on while I was adjusting some materials earlier xD  Then opted to tweak the scene even further 'while I'm at it'  cheeky

Gotta say working with dragon wings is a real big pain;  'wings in general'  +  the way the Bridges export them with problems all over means they're no fun at all to pose. Need to go in and re-orient the joints by hand every time and with wings it's like "Is this right? Is this right???"  ahahah.... I think I did a decent job though all things considered, but THIS TIME it's rendering for real.  laugh

Post edited by Rezca on
  • Charlie Judge said:

Sfariah said:

I want pi

3.1415926535 8979323846 2643383279 5028841971 6939937510 5820974944 5923078164 0628620899 8628034825 3421170679 ...

Close enough ?

I want real pie, with cherries inside it and a dollop of vanilla ice cream next to it.

• Been away for several weeks.  I bought a MacBook Pro!  Got the 16" one with the M1 chip.  Have been bringing my audio software up to date on it, and will likely be doing that for another couple weeks.  Outdoors, I've been planting flowers galore.  Might be finished with one side this weekend, but then there's the "big side" and also the vegetable garden waiting for me.  Lots of work.  But I need to have most outdoor stuff done by early-mid May because Florida gets hotter than Satan's hot tub round about June thru August!

Indoors, I've been watching Perry Mason shows from 1958. Some good acting from that time, and the personalities and subtle interractions between the characters are to be appreciated.  And if you want to see some amazing mid-to-late 50s cars, that's a great show to see them in.  The show is in black and white, but then wasn't everything in black and white back then anyway?  I mean, pretty much the whole world didn't really get color until 1961 unless you had access to Picasso or Rembrandt paintings, right?  wink

Hope you're all doing fine!

Three hours of 'small tweaks' later it's rendering again!

edited March 2022

And it's done!  Looking at it, I spent a lot of time positioning vines that ended up barely being visible - oh well!

Post edited by Rezca on

I sometimes in a mostly dream/sleep state but partly awake but thinking that something invaded my nose and ears.  Maybe pollen for this time of the year here?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

LeatherGryphon said:

However, the 2nd season of "Picard" is better.  But I'll ditch "Paramount+" streaming service as soon as I finish the "Picard" season.  There's nothing else on CBS that I feel is worth watching, now or in its archives, except old Star Trek seasons & movies and I've seen them all for decades.  Bye, bye CBS.cheeky

I found a YouTube video that tells of a new effort to recapture the old fan-approved feeling.  It will be called Strange New Worlds.   I'm sure it will be on the pay service, so I'll miss out on that. I'm hoping that they'll continue putting past seasons of Star Trek Discovery on broadcast.  I want to see the rest of the seasons, anyway.  And I'm hoping that they follow suit and put the first season of Picard on broadcast soon.  We'll see.

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Rezca said:

And it's done!  Looking at it, I spent a lot of time positioning vines that ended up barely being visible - oh well!

Nice work!

Dana 

edited March 2022

Subtropic Pixel said:

Been away for several weeks.  I bought a MacBook Pro!  Got the 16" one with the M1 chip.  Have been bringing my audio software up to date on it, and will likely be doing that for another couple weeks.  Outdoors, I've been planting flowers galore.  Might be finished with one side this weekend, but then there's the "big side" and also the vegetable garden waiting for me.  Lots of work.  But I need to have most outdoor stuff done by early-mid May because Florida gets hotter than Satan's hot tub round about June thru August!

Indoors, I've been watching Perry Mason shows from 1958. Some good acting from that time, and the personalities and subtle interractions between the characters are to be appreciated.  And if you want to see some amazing mid-to-late 50s cars, that's a great show to see them in.  The show is in black and white, but then wasn't everything in black and white back then anyway?  I mean, pretty much the whole world didn't really get color until 1961 unless you had access to Picasso or Rembrandt paintings, right?  wink

Hope you're all doing fine!

Perry Mason from the '50s is one of my favorite shows.  Saw them as a kid and they are still good.  Yes, very good acting.    And I too watch it for scenes of street activity that remind me so much of my childhood.  Lumbering Cadillacs, winged Buicks,  rocket-nosed Studebakers, bulky Hudsons,   Watch the cars change from the rounded mid '50s through the sharp angled, & winged, early to mid '60s.  

And there was one, just one, episode filmed in color.  Although, I don't know if it was broadcast in color.  Look it up.  And yes, I've seen it in color a few years ago, but can't remember which episode it was.  It was near the end of the series when they were considering converting to color. Personally I think B&W suits the show more than the color versions did in subsequent decades.   Also, Perry did not win all of his court cases.surprise  I know, and saw, that he lost one (at the beginning of an episode) but I also seem to remember seeing an interview with Raymond Burr where he said that he'd lost two.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  This thread seems to be dying.  I guess everybody's all complained-out.  Everything's going well with y'all?  No frustrations?  No need to vent?  C'mon, you know that's not true, there must be something worth spewing about.  Not that anybody here cares, but this thread is a safe place to get those little irks out in the open so everybody can publicly commiserate or just empathize in silence. (Just steer clear of the DAZ TOS)frown

I think I started posting a lot less in this particular thread because I felt like a lot of my posts got no response. And it's no fun talking to a void. Plus sometimes you get sucked into the void.

For similar reasons I stopped posting images because it seemed like a lot of people would only comment on images from certain people they always respond to, and the same people only had something to say to me if they had criticism of my hard work.

Also, particularly in this thread, one of my favorites was WendyLuvsCats and after that person left, there was yet one less person responding to me and one less person making things interesting to me. Also the comments in this thread seemed to be dominated by one particular person and I genuinely don't know how to respond to that person. Maybe I am that person to those people who don't respond to me.

Complaint: I hit the Reply button last night and it took me 12 hours to finish the post.

This discussion has been closed.