Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

Non-complaint:  Progress on the MommaBear & George hardware updates.  George has been set aside for the moment and the new motherboard (Asus B560M-A) is naked (no case) on my workbench, populated with a CPU(Intel i5-11400), its stock Intel cooler(until I transfer the big BeQuiet cooler from Momma), 32GB of RAM(Corsair Vengeance (2x8 LPX & 2x8 Pro) and powered up, and has POSTed!  Yay!  I've installed the proper Asus TPM module for secure operations. I've even turned on XPM memory overclocking to run the RAM at their rated speed of 3200.  I've also adjusted the couple of BIOS settings to assure that when I install the OS, it will use the TPM module and be Win11 capable.  Yay!  This board will be Momma's new motherboard and for the first time she will have 32GB of 3200 speed RAM.  Happy, happy, joy, joy!  Wheee...smiley

Note:  When I finally start operating on Momma herself she may be down for a while.indecision  MommaBear is my primary daily use computer, from which I normally visit y'all.  While she's down I may be absent until I get enough of her ported onto the new board.  Yeah, I could (and may) use another computer to post my annoying, overly long, diary entries about this project's progress, but I'll probably be too busy rearranging bits and testing.  Wish me luck that nothing major goes ba-fluie while I ramble around inside the guts of Momma and George.indecision  

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

Can there be pollen in air but not be seen?  I think there is pollen in air but my housemate hasn't seen any?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

I don't usually see pollen until it has built up on my car overnight.

Dana

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

DanaTA said:

I don't usually see pollen until it has built up on my car overnight.

Dana

Or in the rainwater barrels 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Progress on the MommaBear & George hardware updates.  George has been set aside for the moment and the new motherboard (Asus B560M-A) is naked (no case) on my workbench, populated with a CPU(Intel i5-11400), its stock Intel cooler(until I transfer the big BeQuiet cooler from Momma), 32GB of RAM(Corsair Vengeance (2x8 LPX & 2x8 Pro) and powered up, and has POSTed!  Yay!  I've installed the proper Asus TPM module for secure operations. I've even turned on XPM memory overclocking to run the RAM at their rated speed of 3200.  I've also adjusted the couple of BIOS settings to assure that when I install the OS, it will use the TPM module and be Win11 capable.  Yay!  This board will be Momma's new motherboard and for the first time she will have 32GB of 3200 speed RAM.  Happy, happy, joy, joy!  Wheee...smiley

Note:  When I finally start operating on Momma herself she may be down for a while.indecision  MommaBear is my primary daily use computer, from which I normally visit y'all.  While she's down I may be absent until I get enough of her ported onto the new board.  Yeah, I could (and may) use another computer to post my annoying, overly long, diary entries about this project's progress, but I'll probably be too busy rearranging bits and testing.  Wish me luck that nothing major goes ba-fluie while I ramble around inside the guts of Momma and George.indecision  

Ah, you have enough experience you could probably do it with you eyes closed on a stopwatch.

Kara in Jungle Book sounds just like Scarlett Johansson.

edited March 2022

frank0314 said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Progress on the MommaBear & George hardware updates.  ...

Wish me luck that nothing major goes ba-fluie while I ramble around inside the guts of Momma and George.indecision  

Ah, you have enough experience you could probably do it with you eyes closed on a stopwatch.

For a moment I was afraid that I had a ba-fluie on my hands.  The motherboard wouldn't recognize my new, completely empty, NVMe SSD(Samsung 1TB SSD-970Plus).frown  Tried it in both M.2 slots on the board.  No cigar.sad  System would start to POST then simply freeze with a blank screen if the SSD was installed at power up and then nothing would unfreeze it except a power cycle.crying  I finally checked the BIOS version and it was several behind.surprise  After fumbling with some USB thumbdrive issues, the final result is that I now have the newest BIOS installed and now the board recognizes my SSD.  Yay!smiley

At the moment, a brand-new Win10-Pro is being installed.   I decided to install fresh and copy system and personal files and reinstall applications.  Momma had been exhibiting some weird anomolies that I think were related to mistakes I made during the original setup and ongoing maintenance of Momma over the last year.  It's time to do it right this time.yes

A few minutes later:  Win10 is installed, but I ran into a problem with the LAN port.  Apparently the Windows10 installation does not have the driver for the LAN on this board.frown  And to my shame, when the board first came up something asked me if I wanted to install the driver (this was before Win10 was alive), and I'd never seen that before and just assumed that would all be taken care of when Win10 was up, so I declined.  NOPE!  No LAN.  Device manager reports it as "Unknown".  The driver is on the ASUS CD that came with the motherboard but I don't have a portable CD/DVD drive to plug into the board.frown  However, I finally solved the problem by grabbing a cheap USB WiFi transceiver.  The basic WiFi driver in  Win10 was enough to let it access the Internet. Yay!yes  The new board is now updating its Win10 via WiFi.  Wheee...cool

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

Well at least you got it figured out fairly quick. On to the next step.

edited March 2022

The next step:  Discovered that access to the WiFi didn't fix the LAN driver problem during updates.  Perhaps Microsoft isn't yet aware of this LAN hardware?indecision

So, I used another computer to copy the ASUS Utilities DVD to a USB thumbdrive and then to the Win10 Desktop.  No problems.  I executed the "Setup.exe" file from Asus utilities and it installed drivers and Chrome Browser for me.  The WiFi transceiver has been removed and the system is now networking via the wired LAN.  Yay!yes  And the WindowsPC_HealthCheck utility has pronounced this board compatible with Win11.   Wheee...smiley

Time for supper and to quit for the day.  My knees and back are killing me.  Tomorrow will be a down day for MommaBear.   Tasks to be done are:

0) Disconnect and move the new motherboard test rig off my lab bench to make room for MommaBear.

1) Remove and transfer the big BeQuiet cooler from Momma's existing board to the new board.  

2) Disconnect and remove MommaBear's old motherboard.

3) Install my other (adequate but not as impressive, although it does have lights) socket 1151 cooler onto Momma's old board.

4) Install Momma's old board into George's case.  

5) Move Momma's system 500GB M.2 NVMe system drive onto the new motherboard's 2nd M.2 slot so that I can copy user data (mass quantities) quickly to the new 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD serving as the new board's system drive.

6) Remove the old 500 GB SSD from the new board and return it to Momma's board now living in George's case.

7) Install the new motherboard into Momma's case.  Apply the new Win10 license.

8) Make sure that all of Momma's peripherals work properly and that any links to the old system drive have been resolved.

9) Start installing applications & configuring on the new Momma then testing, testing, testing.

10) Start testing currently installed applications & configuring on the new George, then testing, testing, testing.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited March 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2022

Well wishes greatly accepted.yes

I'm still pondering the best sequence of events for todays debac..., er, activities. 

I dug out my camera, charged up the battery and took a couple of photos.  The first is MommaBear as she exists now(Yes, her real name is "JANUS"**.  All that you see clearly will remain, the drives, fans, lights, cooler, powersupply and the graphics card (GTX-1660).   And the second photo is her new motherboard being setup and tested on my lab bench.  She will get the new 500 series motherboard, CPU, 3200 RAM, TPM & 1TB SSD System drive.

George will receive MommaBear's old 300 series motherboard, CPU, 2666 RAM and 500GB SSD system drive.  George's old motherboard, etc. has been boxed and shelved.

(Must make mental note to not use flash on closeup photos in my lab.  It exposes my hoard of dust that I forget about under the desk.)blush

**Note: JANUS is a moon of SATURN(PoppaBear).  BabyBear is MIMAS.  And GEORGE is just George.  Yeah, the "I will hug him and squeeze him" George.laugh

Another Note:  SATURN himself can be partially seen in the lower right corner of the 2nd photo.

OK, time to go.  MommaBear's being shut down.  Nighty night!   If you don't see me for a while, you can assume the gremlins got loose.frown

DSCN3829.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 371K
    DSCN3830.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 355K
  • VolvoB10MVolvoB10M Posts: 133

DanaTA said:

Some of them are quite new, like one for G8F!

• Ade for Genesis 8 Male
    • Liberty Hair For Genesis 8 Female(s)
    • EJ Lorcan Deluxe Pack For Genesis 8 Male: Character, Outfit, and Poses
    • Jackie Hair For Genesis 8 Female(s)
    • Antonia for Genesis 8 Female
    • Valkiria for Genesis 8 Female
    • Hotrod
    • Myrna HD for Genesis 8 Female
    • Valhalla Hair for Genesis 8
    • City Building Facade Shader Collection
    • Allison for Genesis 8.1 Female  !!!

And a couple others.  Something for G8.1 F already gone???

Dana 

I had Allison on my wishlint as it was one I wanted to get but I was waiting for a sale. Where is that one currently available to buy at the moment since it was released a few weeks ago? Also, what happens with products that are already owned but then removed from the store as they will no longer download on a new installation?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

VolvoB10M said:

DanaTA said:

• Ade for Genesis 8 Male
    • Hotrod

Dana 

I had Allison on my wishlint as it was one I wanted to get but I was waiting for a sale. Where is that one currently available to buy at the moment since it was released a few weeks ago? Also, what happens with products that are already owned but then removed from the store as they will no longer download on a new installation?

I found their site at Gumroad, but Allison is not in the store.  sad  You have to keep scrolling until you reach the end, then you can use the Ctrl+F to search for specific text in your browser.  Allison was not found.  Maybe they're still adding products, I don't know.

Dana 

Greetings from the beyond.  I am coming to you via MommaBear who at the moment is naked, disembodied, stripped of most of her storage and peripheralsand laid out on my work bench.  Just the original MommaBear motherboard, CPU, RAM & System drive.  She has had her fancy BeQuiet cooler removed and it's been replaced with something less effective & impressive but still adequate.  I'm still calling this motherboard "MommaBear" for the moment until its installed in George's case and I change it's name to "George".

Momma's case and the new motherboard have been set aside to make room on my lab bench for her old board to be reconfigured & tested.    Picture below is Momma's old motherboard, soon to be George's new motherboard.

MommasOldBoard.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 360K

I want a Cookie for G8.1F!  on other news I burnt some of my popcorn because I broke a cardinal rule.  Never leave popcorn in the microwave unwatched.  I left the kitchen while the popcorn was popping.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Transposing a complex piece of music onto a very complicated instrument is costing me more of my sanity than I should be allowing. 

@Gordig sounds like it

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Having spent a lot of time online for the past week, digging for hard to find information, stumbled on a fitting quote by Abraham Lincoln;

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Remains to be seen if he was right...

...agh getting hit with the foums "logoff" bug lately.

kyoto kid said:

...agh getting hit with the foums "logoff" bug lately.

Sometimes I do too. 

edited March 2022

A very tired non-complaint:  wheee.., newMommaBear and newGeorge, are assembled, functional, back in the network, lookin' spiffy!  wheee...

Many gremlins.sad  Lost an "M.2" screw, (rare, tiny little piece of unobtainium).frown  Finding a spare meant digging deeper into my boxes than ever(but I knew I had one).  New motherboard in Momma's case required extensive cable rerouting and management.  wheee...frown  Transfering the BeQuiet cooler to the new motherboard was held up for hours while I searched for a non-empty tube of thermal compound.frown There were several other things that I needed desperately and knew that I had one but they had been organized into oblivion.  Opened boxes all over my apartment.  Then there were the scratches on the hand, aching back, hip & knees.  Getting boxes was an physical effort itself.  Many of the smaller boxes are piled high on the top shelf of my food pantry.  Some of them are quite heavy, so my muscle ache too.  Damn, I'm glad I don't do this for a living.cheeky

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

Complaint: I keep hearing the PO "I've been everywhere, man" ad on TV and now I can't get the song out of my head.

edited March 2022

I'm still finishing up my game of musical computers.  It seems that "George" has lost.surprise  After all the hardware changes and re-assigned software duties, I decided that the new motherboard in Momma's old case is in effect a new computer so it deserves a new name.  New official name for MommaBear is "TITAN" (yes, another moon of Saturn).  Momma's old motherboard name was JANUS and she has the original System drive, so that motherboard will retain the name JANUS but now live in George's old case.  George on the other hand has been pushed out of his case like a aging Hermit Crab and is now retired.  He's in a box, waiting for a little bit of love again someday.indecision

Lots of software to install on the new TITAN but colloquially it will still be "MommaBear" .  Whereas JANUS (old MommaBear) will sit idle for a few weeks, retaining a valid copy of all the applications that were on that machine and their settings, or manually loaded apps, etc.  Until I feel everything's been ported over properly.  Wheee... busy, busy, busy!smiley   And it's kept me away from the world new.yes

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Charlie Judge said:

Complaint: I keep hearing the PO "I've been everywhere, man" ad on TV and now I can't get the song out of my head.

eww brainworm ...... actually I like that song........oh and King of the road too

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited March 2022

carrie58 said:

Charlie Judge said:

eww brainworm ...... actually I like that song........oh and King of the road too

Yeh, I really like the song too. That's probably why it is stuck in my head. 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Charlie Judge said:

Johnny Cash. Love his version of Nine Inch Nails "Hurt".

• KCMustangKCMustang Posts: 113

DanaTA said:

VolvoB10M said:

DanaTA said:

• Ade for Genesis 8 Male
    • Hotrod

Dana 

I found their site at Gumroad, but Allison is not in the store.  sad  You have to keep scrolling until you reach the end, then you can use the Ctrl+F to search for specific text in your browser.  Allison was not found.  Maybe they're still adding products, I don't know.

Dana 

Antonia and Valkiria are Marcius who has moved to Renderhub and Allison is Cinnabar who is still here Daz3d. Allison has just gone from the store.

...complaint: 

Ugh still struggling with clothing fits on thinner, petite and less "well endowed" female characters. My modelling skills are nowhere near up to making custom character and projection morphs.

Almost feel like I'm still back in the Gen3/4 days. 

Yeah I know certain aspects "sell", but for those who want more variation in our characters, it's a royal pain.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Our beloved old golden retriever, Oakley passed away today. We are burying him next to the pond he loved so well.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

TJohn said:

Our beloved old golden retriever, Oakley passed away today. We are burying him next to the pond he loved so well.

I'm sorry for your loss ,they are with us such a short time but teach us so much ...........

This discussion has been closed.