Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited March 2022

@Gordig:  I hear you.  Similar to my complaint:  I don't understand why other people can't be as logical (i.e. anal retentive) as I am about being organized.devil

Y'know..., This is a teaching moment.  If a person were to spend a full cycle in the dishwasher with the dishes they would see why organized loading is important.indecision  enlightened?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

One thing that I learned about dishwashers when I was a temporary replacement at an assylum ward, was not to use the dishwashing liquid meant for hand washing in a dishwasherlaughcheekyblush

Complaint; My preferred store says they received more than 25pcs of the 3060 that I've been looking at, none of them sold, but they still don't list them as available... I hate it when someone does that...

The Asus GeForce PH-RTX3060-12G, is priced at 470eur (VAT 24% included) which is about the maximum that I'm willing to pay for the upgrade.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

I'm not a huge fan of reggae/dancehall generally, but for whatever reason, I just can't stop listening to Koffee.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I am probably going to walmart tomorrow, but the charger might have to wait until next month.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    Well it's been a while since I posted.

What time is it?  Is my clock right by saying it is 6:45am?  Or what?

Sfariah said:

What time is it?  Is my clock right by saying it is 6:45am?  Or what?

It's 12:54 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

Complaint: Duke lost the ACC championship game and so Coach K was denied one last championship before he retires.

Charlie Judge said:

Complaint: Duke lost the ACC championship game and so Coach K was denied one last championship before he retires.

is that Duke basketball somehow related to Duke hospital in Raleigh? 

edited March 2022

Complaint:  Six inches of snow again!frown  Just when I was thinking Spring was upon us.sad

Non-complaint:  Having exhausted any more affordable upgrades to my "bear family".  I've turned my attention to my two old Dell WinXP tower machines.  A Dell Dimension 2350 and a Dell Dimension 3000.  Yes, they're old and yes, they run single-core Pentium CPUs of some nature.  But for what they are used for(to play old games) they are quite satisfactory as long as they work.  So far, they've woken up every time I turn them on.  Good old reliable machines.  Yay!yes 

HOWEVER, they are old.  Being XP puts them in the early 2000's, about 20 years old.  (Service manual for the 2300 series published 2002)surprise  That was back in the day when Dell made nicely built, quality machines.  Both machines function quite nicely (although the 2350 is noticeably slower than the 3000) but I'm starting to get a little concerned about age effects.  I should at least examine & test the power supply, if not replace it with a modern low wattage unit.  Unfortunately everything in the case is Molex connectorsangry or Floppy connectors(yes, of course it has a floppy drive), not SATA connectors. So, if I need more than one string of them on the PS I'd need some cable adapters.  I also should remove & replace the thermal-paste on the CPU and other cooled chips.  I should also make a close examination of the motherboard for capacitors about to go boom and spray their guts all over their neighbors.  The fans are probably OK.  Well..., at least they don't make too much noise (for that era). but some them are 20 years old, so maybe I should replace them too.   Perhaps I could go wonky and buy an RBG lighted fan for a 20 year old computer that would only glow out the rear fan port.wink  But they are 80 or 92mm fans and may not be available with RGB.  However, I also suspect that somewhere in China someone's making them.indecision

Another thing that would give a few hours of relatively inexpensive enjoyment would be replacing the hard drive with a small SATA SSD.  Hmmm... let's see... for one computer it would be $40 for a power supply, $40 for a 256GB SSD, and $10 for a case fan, and $10 for cable adapters.  Both computers are already maxed out with RAM.  The RAM and CPU are probably OK for another 10 years but replacements might be hard to find if ever necessary.  No need to upgrade the motherboard or CPU until it fails.  Finding a replacement cooler fan for those old chips could be a problem but for now, they're both working OK.

And the biggest excitement is that I have TWO of those computers.  I could do this again, next time I get bored.

It might be fun to see an XP run with a zippy SSD instead of a slow HD.enlightened

Lots of opportunity for research and shopping.  Wheee...smiley

Our cat is so dumb. He just walked into the room, stepped into the litter box facing the wall, and peed. Then he turns around and starts scratching the baking soda box on the ground. It's like he watched another cat using a litter box once and took entirely the wrong lesson from it.

Gordig said:

Our cat is so dumb. He just walked into the room, stepped into the litter box facing the wall, and peed. Then he turns around and starts scratching the baking soda box on the ground. It's like he watched another cat using a litter box once and took entirely the wrong lesson from it.

Nah!  The instructions were just poorly translated.indecision 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

Gordig said:

I think this problem is fixed with Cat 8.1 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited March 2022

One of the  most "fun" PC's I ever had was a Dell Optiplex with dual Pentium II 400's and onboard SCSI... that was a great little desktop for its day/ The SCSI subsystem was connected to a 4 BAY SCSI disk array (16 GB RAID 5), and a DAT tape library that held 6 DAT tapes.. 2 5 1/4 bays - CD_rom, and a dual 3.5/5 1.4 floppy drive assembly..
     one of the more "interesting" problems I had with it is that the SCSI drive ary would dropp offline, and then mysteriosly reappear.. Turned out on of the leads on one of the treminatio resiostors was broken, and vibration would randomlt make or break the connection.. I still have a bunch of thos resistor packs in my odds and sodds bag.

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Six inches of snow again!frown  Just when I was thinking Spring was upon us.sad

Non-complaint:  Having exhausted any more affordable upgrades to my "bear family".  I've turned my attention to my two old Dell WinXP tower machines.  A Dell Dimension 2350 and a Dell Dimension 3000.  Yes, they're old and yes, they run single-core Pentium CPUs of some nature.  But for what they are used for(to play old games) they are quite satisfactory as long as they work.  So far, they've woken up every time I turn them on.  Good old reliable machines.  Yay!yes 

HOWEVER, they are old.  Being XP puts them in the early 2000's, about 20 years old.  (Service manual for the 2300 series published 2002)surprise  That was back in the day when Dell made nicely built, quality machines.  Both machines function quite nicely (although the 2350 is noticeably slower than the 3000) but I'm starting to get a little concerned about age effects.  I should at least examine & test the power supply, if not replace it with a modern low wattage unit.  Unfortunately everything in the case is Molex connectorsangry or Floppy connectors(yes, of course it has a floppy drive), not SATA connectors. So, if I need more than one string of them on the PS I'd need some cable adapters.  I also should remove & replace the thermal-paste on the CPU and other cooled chips.  I should also make a close examination of the motherboard for capacitors about to go boom and spray their guts all over their neighbors.  The fans are probably OK.  Well..., at least they don't make too much noise (for that era). but some them are 20 years old, so maybe I should replace them too.   Perhaps I could go wonky and buy an RBG lighted fan for a 20 year old computer that would only glow out the rear fan port.wink  But they are 80 or 92mm fans and may not be available with RGB.  However, I also suspect that somewhere in China someone's making them.indecision

Another thing that would give a few hours of relatively inexpensive enjoyment would be replacing the hard drive with a small SATA SSD.  Hmmm... let's see... for one computer it would be $40 for a power supply, $40 for a 256GB SSD, and $10 for a case fan, and $10 for cable adapters.  Both computers are already maxed out with RAM.  The RAM and CPU are probably OK for another 10 years but replacements might be hard to find if ever necessary.  No need to upgrade the motherboard or CPU until it fails.  Finding a replacement cooler fan for those old chips could be a problem but for now, they're both working OK.

And the biggest excitement is that I have TWO of those computers.  I could do this again, next time I get bored.

It might be fun to see an XP run with a zippy SSD instead of a slow HD.enlightened

Lots of opportunity for research and shopping.  Wheee...smiley

Post edited by hacsart on
    edited March 2022

Non-complaint:  Pie!yes  I was invited to a Sunday afternoon lunch and was given a bag of food when I left. (The host was leaving for Florida in a couple of days and was cleaning out her refrigerator).  When I got home all the usual stuff was there, but then I discovered that she'd also packed a big piece of homemade Key Lime pie.  Mmmmmmmm... Key Lime pie!  A whole quarter of a pie!heart  Well, there goes my diet!frown

I need to remove a screen protector from an old iPad, but I don't remember how.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Today is Pi Day!

Mmmmmm...pi!   laugh

Dana

Wow it is Pi day!

• Sfariah said:

Wow it is Pi day!

In the US - elsewhere it is more likely to be 14/3 which doesn't do anything.

edited March 2022

Well, I found my pie last night so it must have been Pi-day Eve.indecision

Complaint:  I opened up the lesser of my WinXP machines today.  I started to replace the 20 year old case fan with a new one and discovered that it is a 3-pin fan not a 4-pin fan.  That in itself is not a problem, the fan plug should fit on the motherboard pins and the fan would run in a voltage controlled mode instead of pulse controlled.  HOWEVER, on this particular motherboard, they left no room for the unused 4th pin.  There's a big (i.e. half-inch tall)capacitor mounted tight to the board, right next to the end of the 3-pin socket.  Arghhh... that means I either have to find a fan with only a 3-pin connector, or perform surgery on the fan plug or motherboard.  (*sigh*)

'Nother complaint:  While I had the XP machine open, I removed the cooler easily, no thermopaste!surprise  I researched the Internet a bit but didn't find any place that advised against using thermopaste so I'm going to go ahead and give it some.  And when I looked at the CPU label information it said "INTEL M © 02", "CELERON®, "1.7GHz/128/400/1.75v", "SL 680 MALAY".  No wonder it's slow.indecision   Also complaining that the power needs for peripherals in that machine require 4 Molex power connectors(CD-rw, DVD-ro, two 80GB HD) and TWOsurprise floppy power connectors.  One for the floppy drive and one for the FireWire daughterboard.frown  This "simple" job is getting ugly. 

Richard Haseltine said:

Sfariah said:

Wow it is Pi day!

In the US - elsewhere it is more likely to be 14/3 which doesn't do anything.

That would make July 22nd Pi day instead. Also, tomorrow is the Ides of March.

I got fish food now!

edited March 2022

Non-complaint:  Yay!  I found a place to put my new 4-pin PWM case fan that wouldn't fit in my old Dell WinXP machine.  I checked the fan in the old HP case that MommaBear is now living in and it is indeed an old(i.e. elegible for replacement) 92mm PWM 4-pin fan.  So, in went my new fan.  Easy peasy.  Wheee...smiley  And I have a new 3-pin fan on order from Amazon for the old Dell WinXP machine.  For me, $10 is easier than surgery on a plug or motherboard.frown

Eye opener:  Ever wonder why good computer cases are so expensive?  Here's a video about what happens when you buy the cheapest one.surprise  Poor guy!   Scratches & blood.  And I fell out of my seat laughing when he finally got the motherboard in and the cooler was too high!devil  Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt.frown

I hate pollen!

edited March 2022

Complaint:  This thread seems to be dying.  I guess everybody's all complained-out.  Everything's going well with y'all?  No frustrations?  No need to vent?  C'mon, you know that's not true, there must be something worth spewing about.  Not that anybody here cares, but this thread is a safe place to get those little irks out in the open so everybody can publicly commiserate or just empathize in silence. (Just steer clear of the DAZ TOS)frown

Yeah, yeah, I know many of my posts are non-complaints, but I'm not going to apologize for being happy.cheeky

Non-complaint:  Wheee... Having delved into the guts of these 20 year old Dell and 12 year old HP computers still littering my house, has opened a few cheap opportunities for improvement.  Yay, busy-work on the cheap!yes  Remember "George"?  Well, he was an old HP Pentium desktop but lost the game of musical computer cases, and his guts had been retired into a box on a shelf.  But desperate for things to do to keep my mind off the world situation, (oops, shouldn't have reminded myself), I looked closely at George's naked motherboard.  George wasn't a really bad computer, he was originally a Win7 machine but recently I'd maxed out his RAM to 8GB and had him configured with Win10 for a while, but his processor is an Intel Pentium-4, 2-core machine running at 2.4GHz and behaved kind'a sluggishly.indecision  So, no more or better memory possible.  I could replace the PATA 80GB Hard Disk with a modern SATA SSD but I don't have one in stock.  To keep costs down, I'm going to skip the SSD upgrade.  But for $25(w/free shipping) on Ebay, I can get an Intel Core2-Q6950 Quad core CPU running at 3.0GHz which HP's documentation says is compatible with the motherboard.  So guess what I did.smiley  Also, going to replace the 92mm case fan in both of my old 20 year old Dell Dimension machines.  And I've replaced the 12 year old case fan still in George's original case that MommaBear is now using.  Wheee... $10 fans, and a $25 CPU.  Cheap thrills.smiley

Yeah, yeah, getting a cheap CPU on Ebay is risky but losing $25 won't kill me, and it would be something to complain about.  Wheee.devil  Now all he needs is a case, and is looking longingly back at the case MommaBear shoved him out of.frown  Which of course means that someday..., someday..., I get to play another game of musical cases.  yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2022

Complaint.  my less than 5 month old laptop freaked out while I was traveling.  Lost wifi ability and any ability to communicate with outside - including the ether cable, and including the bluetooth to the mouse.  The manufacturer still has not allowed me to speak to a person, only internet chat.  Did I mention the part about not being able to get to the internet?  OK, so they have a thing where you can leave your number and they are supposed to call you back.  More than a week later and they still have not called me back.  Meanwhile, I took it to a Micron Center.  They did an initial review, said it would take a significant diagnosis, and that it would be a month before they could even look at it to diagnose it.

Non-complaint.  Spring like weather today after a brief snow storm three days ago.

Post edited by Diomede on

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  This thread seems to be dying.  I guess everybody's all complained-out.  Everything's going well with y'all?  No frustrations?  No need to vent?  C'mon, you know that's not true, there must be something worth spewing about. 

On this side of the pond... There would be a lot to talk about, but against the TOS...  

edited March 2022

Diomede said:

Complaint.  my less than 5 month old laptop freaked out while I was traveling.  Lost wifi ability and any ability to communicate with outside - including the ether cable, and including the bluetooth to the mouse.  The manufacturer still has not allowed me to speak to a person, only internet chat.  Did I mention the part about not being able to get to the internet?  OK, so they have a thing where you can leave your number and they are supposed to call you back.  More than a week later and they still have not called me back.  Meanwhile, I took it to a Micron Center.  They did an initial review, said it would take a significant diagnosis, and that it would be a month before they could even look at it to diagnose it.

Non-complaint.  Spring like weather today after a brief snow storm three days ago.

Bummer!  I hope they've got good service & helpdesk people.indecision

I dealt with a lemon laptop once, many years ago.  Weird, random, show stopping problem.  I had the store's 3-year protection plan for complete replacement if defective but it only kicked in if the problem was certified unfixable three times!  But I had read my fine print and knew the rules so I kept meticulous receipts and agreements for the process of sending it in somewhere, waiting for it to be "fixed", getting it back and shortly discovering that the problem was not fixed, and sending it back again, getting it back and finding it still not fixed, and sending it in again only to have it finally declared "Unfixable" and the store finally gave me the option of getting my money back or getting a new equivalently featured laptop.  But nearly two years had passed since the problem first appeared and laptops had improved considerably in that time.  The original laptop was a really good one selling at that time for about $1000.  But by time I was entitled to a replacement you could get twice the machine for half the price so I asked for my money back.enlightened Revenge is a dish best served cold.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...been preoocupied the last few weeks myself with what perttiA alludes to above. 

This discussion has been closed.