Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

McGyver said:

hacsart said:

not to sound like a broken record, but its 2C and snowing lightly..

2°C...?  What's that equal to in Dachshunds?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

I think I need to organize my room, but I also need to pack for my upcoming move.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited May 2022

..ugh, the advance forecast here just changed agan and not for the better. Now maybe only two 70° days next week after this weekend (down from 4), followed by 5 days of...you guessed it....clouds and rain   The only bright spot, no more March-like temperatures (I hope, but things may still change as they already have). 

Tired of winter trying to hang on so long this year. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Somebody left cupcakes in the fridge. I want one but they aren't mine.

784F296E-7713-4DE1-BEF8-EFA0ED9D43FE.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

Just saw Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. It is incredibly fun. 

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

So my main desktop machine is sick.  I thought I had a conflict between the motherboard/BIOS and the Samsung SSD firmware, so I bought a new 4TB M.2 drive to install directly to the motherboard and put the OS on that.  I also bought a new 8TB Samsung SSD in the traditional SATA configuration, where I would put my DAZ library, as well as the huge music instrument sample libraries I currently have spread out across 3 other drives.

Well, no go.  After a restore of my OS and App partitions (see my signature on how important backups are!), the machine doesn't seem to want to post; or it posts, but the power gets cut a few seconds later.  With the power cuts, it's possible that the old PSU is getting tired.  Or maybe the PSU was the issue all along; there's no way to know for certain.

I'm ready to build a whole new machine if I must, but I'd rather not do that this summer if I can help it.  I just have so many other fish to fry instead.  So I decided to buy a new power supply (a Thermaltake 1200 Watt PSU), and on a whim I also decided to replace my aging 980 GTX GPUs with a single RTX 3080 TI card.  Ordered and on the way.  I would have liked to get a 3090 TI GPU instead, but that was another 33% more money with a much longer lead-time to delivery, so I went with the 3080 TI at about $1600 (with tax)

For now, I'm planning to keep the old X99 motherboard and its i7 CPU and 64 GB of RAM and maybe upgrade those around the holidays at the end of this year.  The new 3080 card, a PCIe 4.0 card, will have to run in backward compatibility 3.0 mode for as long as I keep this motherboard.  But that's okay; I'm not doing a lot of rendering projects these days and no game as yet requires gen 4.0 from end-to-end.

Sunday, I should receive the new parts and if the weather prevents me from getting stuff done outside, then I'll be messing about in the guts of my desktop machine.  Yay!

I wish I knew where my cleaning wipes are, because I need to clean my touch pad on my computer.  Reason why?  I was using the computer while eating junk food.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

N-RArts said:

There's a little box that has been appearing when I go into DIM. A couple of nights ago, I FINALLY remembered to disable it.

I've just loaded DIM, the box appeared, and (to my horror) I accidentally clicked Install all (or whatever the heck it says), because I didn't expect it to show up. 

Now, I HAVE TO upgrade to 4.20

It might be one box, but when I click on a box to not show something automatically, I expect it to do just that. 

I just hope my system will cope with the latest build. 

That's horrible! Sorry that happened to you. Did you have your previous favorite DS install zips backed up in a separate location? If so, you can go back with little trouble. You can also mark current versions of DS as "hidden" in DIM to avoid accidentally installing them. You would only see them when you select "display hidden" in the DIM install queue.

What am I doing?  I know I am installing a bunch of Daz items via DIM, but that isn't something that needs my complete attention.  Also I am wondering where did I put my computer mouse.  My touchpad likes to change the zoom settings on websites for some reason.

One of the actors in the movie Mobius looks just like Matt Smith.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited May 2022

Bummer... Colin Cantwell died... He's one of the designers responsible for the look of the Death Star, the Imperial Star Destroyers and the TIE and X-wing fighters in the Star Wars films... he had a good run though, I guess... he was 90. 
    https://www.starwars.com/news/colin-cantwell

Apparently he worked for JPL and NASA too.

I was just looking at a Star Wars concept art book the other day on the Internet Archive and some sketches based on his ideas were in there... I actually don't know if they were his sketches or not, because he actually made models of his concepts too, but he did do concept art as well.

If you remember Star Wars stuff, there is a scene with Luke Skywalker playing around with a model of T-16 Skyhopper while he's sitting around talking to the newly acquired droids R2-D2 and that annoying gold dude, the model he's playing with is actually one of the concept models for the film... there was supposed to be a scene similar to the pod racing scene in Phantom Menace, featuring the T-16, but they decided against it very early on, but the model still made it into the movie.

Even though most of the models he made would be changed greatly by the time they filmed the movie, it's still pretty interesting to see the original prototypes.

Cool guy, I respect the diversity of skills and being a life long space flight enthusiast.

Post edited by McGyver on

It is raining and it is pouring.  Did I say "it is raining and pouring!'   I unplugged my notebook.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited May 2022

Non-complaint; 18 hours of daylight today, sun is rising at 04:30 and setting at 22:33 smiley

Post edited by PerttiA on

Sfariah said:

One of the actors in the movie Mobius looks just like Matt Smith.

Loki's friend is Mobius but Morbius is friends with the character played by Matt Smith. 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

for us here its:  

Sunrise 5:36 MDT Sunset 21:30 MDT

PerttiA said:

Non-complaint; 18 hours of daylight today, sun is rising at 04:30 and setting at 22:33 smiley

Jared Leto plays Morbius, but he wasn't in the Joker movie.

On other news, I haven't learn not to eat sticky foods while using a computer.  The sticky food this time is an off brand poptart.

Also I might know tomorrow or wednesday if I get that apartment I want.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

Sfariah said:

Unpopular opinion: Jared Leto was fine as the Joker; it was the way he was characterized and written that was the problem, to say nothing of his behind the scenes bellendery. 

Sfariah said:

On other news, I haven't learn not to eat sticky foods while using a computer.  The sticky food this time is an off brand poptart.

Tomorrow is Wednesday wink 

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

I thought today was Monday.  ooh I just took some sleepy medicine.  Do you know what that means?  Sleepy time is soon. 

Sfariah said:

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

I thought today was Monday.  ooh I just took some sleepy medicine.  Do you know what that means?  Sleepy time is soon. 

I'm leaving for work in 2 hours 

Sfariah said:

...I thought it was Walter Pidgeon 

Oh wait, wrong film and decade. 

Never mind

..yeah even here on the "left coast", tomorrow is Wednesday now. (01:40 here).

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

PerttiA said:

What happens in the Winter when the night is persistent?  Do your happy-batteries run down? indecision

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

What happens in the Winter when the night is persistent?  Do your happy-batteries run down? indecision

Just five hours of daylight here on the southwest coast... You go to work in the dark and by the time you get off (at 3pm) it's already dark again... No wonder the consumption of 'beverages' is pretty high up here.
    Although not everything is depressing, Kimi Räikkönen described the activities in Finland; "In summer there’s fishing and shagging, but in winter the fishing is bad." cheeky

edited May 2022

So for like ever the people around here have been trying to get the town to install a "Wildlife Crossing" sign on the road through the wildlife sanctuary/ protected wetland area... Primarily because of Eastern Box Turtles and some ducks, but mostly the turtles.

So they finally installed one a couple of months ago and I guess I never looked at it until now...

Can you tell what's wrong with the sign?

Maybe the woods are full of Talking Heads or One Republic fans?

Maybe they thought we meant Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?... Still, I don't see a shell on his back.

Well... it's a nice looking sign... and I suppose it's the thought that counts.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,316

McGyver said:

So for like ever the people around here have been trying to get the town to install a "Wildlife Crossing" sign on the road through the wildlife sanctuary/ protected wetland area... Primarily because of Eastern Box Turtles and some ducks, but mostly the turtles.

So they finally installed one a couple of months ago and I guess I never looked at it until now...

Maybe they thought we meant Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?... Still, I don't see a shell on his back.

I'm surprised you are resisting the temptation to add the shell - run out of paint?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

What, you don't consider teenagers Wild Life?   laugh 

Dana 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

What's that reflection in the lower left corner?

Dana 

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

Daz website keeps signing me out of the website.  Maybe I should check the cookie settings for Mozilla Firefox.

DanaTA said:

What's that reflection in the lower left corner?

Dana 

A Fallout 4 Collectible (T-45 Power Armor Helmet)... it's been on my dashboard since Fallout 4 was new... it's slightly faded.

This discussion has been closed.