Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

If one edge of the cube is x, the diameter of the ball is sqrt(sqrt(x^2+x^2)+x^2) => 1.733 if x=1

The distance between two farthest corners of the cube is the same as the diameter of the ball.

Couldn't sleep...

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

Okay cool!

I think I left my tv remote near the TV so either way I need to get up to turn off the Tv and check my render status.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457

There's a little box that has been appearing when I go into DIM. A couple of nights ago, I FINALLY remembered to disable it.

I've just loaded DIM, the box appeared, and (to my horror) I accidentally clicked Install all (or whatever the heck it says), because I didn't expect it to show up. 

Now, I HAVE TO upgrade to 4.20

It might be one box, but when I click on a box to not show something automatically, I expect it to do just that. 

I just hope my system will cope with the latest build. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...I got a popup recently which appeared when I opened the Daz programme that asked if I wanted to upgrade to the "latest and greatest."  I'm perfectly satisfied with the 4.16 beta I'm currently using as it's nice and stable as well as works fine with my decade old hardware. 

Fortunately there was a box on the popup to click to not have the reminder pop up anymore..  On the DIM, I just ignore anything that says ver. 4.20.

About the only real advance I can see is volumetrics which would seriusly bog my system down.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i can't log into the online course website because the system won't send me my personal idententification number to log in.  Grr.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

starionwolf said:

i can't log into the online course website because the system won't send me my personal idententification number to log in.  Grr.

Did you check your spam/junk folder?

Dana 

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

PerttiA said:

Starting to develop my own conspiracy theory, the signs have been there for quite sometime, but is there such a thing as chemical lobotomy and have they been feeding the kids such a substance at school since the 90's...

It's not from food and it's not from illicit surgeries done in dark places like those they sell in the DAZ store.  But I think you're right and I think it's real.  It's also a self-inflicted societal thing, as far as I can tell.  However, for me to go into more detail here would get me spanked by the mods, so I'll just have to let you guess.  But it's not Dave from Wendy's; he's been dead for years, it's not Tim from Apple; he's still lost in somebody's cubicle over there at Endless Loop, and it's not Elon from .. well, wherever he's from, because he's just way too busy space travelling or just doing anything while NOT watching television!  Elon is a good example what happens when you free up the brain to do "brainy" things.

Maybe another brave soul can venture an answer.  cheeky

I don't see any difference between these two test renders.

test render 1.png
    989 x 921 - 2M
    test render 2.png
    989 x 921 - 2M
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457

I've tried out 4.20, and the program alone is making my system run sloooooooooooow. Loading a model is even slower, and Volumetrics will kill it for sure. Plus, it's also thrown out all of my skin settings, again. 

I don't know what to do anymore. It's doing my head in. 

Hopefully, I'll still be able to use Reality in 4.20 

I've finally got a part of my 3D project finished. Hopefully, I'll be able to use Glow in the Dark paint on acrylic. Although I think I'm going to need another bottle of GitD paint.

I want to do something but I am getting sleepy.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

CATKINS!... Aaaaaaargh!

I'm so sick of CATKINS!

People call them different things in different places, but the word catkin (a word borrowed from Old Dutch, "Katteken", meaning kitten) refers to a type of long cylindrical flower cluster, typically with very small flowers... in this case it's red oak catkins which are all over everything... a lot of people refer to these as "stingies", probably because of a lack of a better word.

They are everywhere on everything, dropping vast quantities of pollen everywhere on everything... I cleaned my driveway and front steps, collecting a huge ball of the stuff, enough to fill a 45 gallon trash can, and within a half hour the driveway was covered again.

It is McGyver not MacGyver?

DanaTA said:

starionwolf said:

Did you check your spam/junk folder?

Dana 

I finally saw the email with the PIN in my inbox.

edited May 2022

Sfariah said:

The TV show was called "MacGyver".

Its been a nickname of mine for ages.

I spell it McGyver because the first website I used it at there already was a "MacGyver"... I guess I wanted it to be the same wherever I used it which is why I spell it "McGyver"... like "McDonald's"

McGyver's Burgers... That could be an interesting theme for a burger joint... you assemble your meal out of random food parts in a bin. 

People have been calling me "MacGyver" since the TV show was new... mostly because I'm always fixing stuff with random junk, or cobbling together something out of weird stuff you wouldn't expect... 

I actually never liked the nickname because I didn't watch the show... I was confusing it with a show where the character was a model/undercover spy... I thought people were being sarcastic... at some point I finally watched an episode and got part about MacGyver making stuff out random junk... I realized it was actually meant to be a compliment, so then I was okay with it.

But yes, I spell it differently... as a real last named it's usually spelled "MacGyver".

The funny thing is one of my daughters has been dubbed "MacGyver" too by a couple of teachers... At this point I doubt that will stick because nobody under 30 really knows the character and the recent reboot bombed, so no chance anyone will really know it anymore.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited May 2022

What am I doing?

Edit: forgot to post the flyer I made.

test render 3.png
    989 x 921 - 2M
    WhatamIdoing.png
    2550 x 3300 - 4M
    Post edited by Sfariah D on

McGyver said:

Sfariah said:

The TV show was called "MacGyver".

Its been a nickname of mine for ages.

I spell it McGyver because the first website I used it at there already was a "MacGyver"... I guess I wanted it to be the same wherever I used it which is why I spell it "McGyver"... like "McDonald's"

McGyver's Burgers... That could be an interesting theme for a burger joint... you assemble your meal out of random food parts in a bin. 

People have been calling me "MacGyver" since the TV show was new... mostly because I'm always fixing stuff with random junk, or cobbling together something out of weird stuff you wouldn't expect... 

I actually never liked the nickname because I didn't watch the show... I was confusing it with a show where the character was a model/undercover spy... I thought people were being sarcastic... at some point I finally watched an episode and got part about MacGyver making stuff out random junk... I realized it was actually meant to be a compliment, so then I was okay with it.

But yes, I spell it differently... as a real last named it's usually spelled "MacGyver".

The funny thing is one of my daughters has been dubbed "MacGyver" too by a couple of teachers... At this point I doubt that will stick because nobody under 30 really knows the character and the recent reboot bombed, so no chance anyone will really know it anymore.

I don't think that's true.   I watched the new show and I thought it was very good, and it was on for at least three seasons, if I'm remembering correctly.  I wouldn't call that bombing.  A show that doesn't even make a complete first season, that's bombing.

I only watched the original occasionally.  

Dana

edited May 2022

I never watched the new show, I was just going by what critics said... honestly, the old show wasn't all that great (then again I've only watched a handful of those)... To me it was on the same level as the A-Team...
    Which is okay, I suppose when you gauge it against contemporary over the top action shows of the time. 
    I don't necessarily believe critics either, shows I've liked they've panned and ones they've praised, I've hated... it's a personal thing I suppose.

Now I'm going to have to check out the newer one, since I threw shade at it without actually seeing it... I'll see if it's on any of the streaming services I'm currently using.

Edited to add...

Rats... Ain't gonna happen... it's a Paramount+ show... maybe I'll watch it at some future point... if the new pre-Kirk Star Trek is any good... I was tempted to pick it up for a while for Discovery, but then they started in on the time travel stuff and I passed... 

Also... apparently they redid Magnum P.I. too...?   Where the hell have I been?

I'm betting the A-Team is next.

Re-edited to add... Apparently there was an A-team movie? WTH?... Which version of earth is this?... it better not be the one where the Statue Of Liberty is a penguin or that even worse one where that stupid reality show guy became pr... 

What!!??!!

F***!... it's that one?!

Really!?

You make one frickin' miscalculation in settings and this is what happens... #$&*%¥@+!!!

Well... Apparently the A-team movie in this reality didn't make enough money, so they canceled the proposed TV series.

Okay... now I'm going to spend the next half hour googling "(fill in the blank) reboot" to see how many 80s shows they rebooted or began to reboot... and shocking myself with the knowledge.

Sigh.

My glasses are dirty and I forgot where I put my eye glass cleaner bottle.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

McGyver said:

I never watched the new show, I was just going by what critics said... honestly, the old show wasn't all that great (then again I've only watched a handful of those)... To me it was on the same level as the A-Team...
    Which is okay, I suppose when you gauge it against contemporary over the top action shows of the time... I don't necessarily believe critics either, shows I've liked they've panned and ones they've praised, I've hated... it's a personal thing I suppose.

Now I'm going to have to check out the newer one, since I threw shade at it without actually seeing it... I'll see if it's on any of the streaming services I'm currently using.

Not a fan of the new show either, it has gone with the flow and turned more into relationship pron and less about the MacGyverism, getting (back) to spies and wars has also been a turnoff for me

edited May 2022

PerttiA said:

McGyver said:

Which is okay, I suppose when you gauge it against contemporary over the top action shows of the time... I don't necessarily believe critics either, shows I've liked they've panned and ones they've praised, I've hated... it's a personal thing I suppose.

Not a fan of the new show either, it has gone with the flow and turned more into relationship pron and less about the MacGyverism, getting (back) to spies and wars has also been a turnoff for me

I felt the same way about that reboot of The Golden Girls where the roommates were all drug and sex crazed high school kids.

Edited to correct...

My bad... I was confusing that with Euphoria... 

My mistake... confusing, but understandable.

Sfariah said:

My glasses are dirty and I forgot where I put my eye glass cleaner bottle.

that reminds me: I should buy some eye glass cleaners and wipes.

McGyver said:

Which is okay, I suppose when you gauge it against contemporary over the top action shows of the time. 
    I don't necessarily believe critics either, shows I've liked they've panned and ones they've praised, I've hated... it's a personal thing I suppose.

Edited to add...

Rats... Ain't gonna happen... it's a Paramount+ show... maybe I'll watch it at some future point... if the new pre-Kirk Star Trek is any good... I was tempted to pick it up for a while for Discovery, but then they started in on the time travel stuff and I passed... 

Also... apparently they redid Magnum P.I. too...?   Where the hell have I been?

I'm betting the A-Team is next.

Re-edited to add... Apparently there was an A-team movie? WTH?... Which version of earth is this?... it better not be the one where the Statue Of Liberty is a penguin or that even worse one where that stupid reality show guy became pr... 

What!!??!!

F***!... it's that one?!

Really!?

You make one frickin' miscalculation in settings and this is what happens... #$&*%¥@+!!!

Well... Apparently the A-team movie in this reality didn't make enough money, so they canceled the proposed TV series.

Okay... now I'm going to spend the next half hour googling "(fill in the blank) reboot" to see how many 80s shows they rebooted or began to reboot... and shocking myself with the knowledge.

Sigh.

The new Magnum P.I. is actually pretty good.  They changed a few things, though.  But it's really good, good stories, good character development.  We watch it every week.   Never saw the A-Team movie.  I did see the 21 Jump Street movie.  I wondered why they made it a comedy.  I thought of 21 Jump Street as a more modern Mod Squad.

By the way, what's wrong with time travel stories, if they're done well?

I, too, am sad that all the Star Trek stuff in on a pay streaming service.  Can't afford that stuff.  Bloody greedy, that's what they are!  I guess they've decided not to put any more seasons on CBS broadcast TV.  I was hoping they'd bring earliear seasons of Star Trek: Picard to broadcast, like they started to do with Star Trek: Discovery.

Dana

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited May 2022

okay quick update ,my daughter is still in ICU ,she still has a feeding tube and drainage tubes in her but she is doing much better ,my brother drove down to help her son out and stay with her .Before any body asks or wonders why I haven't gone yet ,I don't do well in hospitals ,I have sever moblity issues ,so I am waiting until she gets out and will go stay with her at home so she is not alone . Her husband has been charged at this time with attempted 2nd degree murder, my personal opinion is it should be "attempted 1st degree murder" because it was preplanned ,it wasn't a spur of the moment /crime of passion,he has threatened to kill her a few times ,hence the restraining order ,which the police and DA ignored when he violated ......

Post edited by carrie58 on
    edited May 2022

DanaTA said:

By the way, what's wrong with time travel stories, if they're done well?

Nothing is wrong with time travel... technically there wouldn't be a penguin Statue of Liberty without it (well, in that other parallel universe), but with the pre Paramount+ Star Treks they kinda muddied up stuff a bit with time traveling... it just messes up a story line for me because ultimately it leaves me feeling uninvested in the story or characters if I feel that's not ultimately what happened because they managed to change the past or future... you too free to play with the audience if you mess with time travel too much... it's kinda what Rick from Rick and Morty complains about... "Ultimately none of this matters"... It's not necessarily bad if that is the whole premise, Doctor Who pulls it off because that's the whole idea of the show. 
    Maybe I don't get attached to those storylines because I'm still bummed out about there being no penguin Statute of Liberty in this reality... it's actually kind of whimsical and pretty... but whatever... it's just me.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited May 2022

I finally finished the latest season of "ST Discovery".  It was a struggle to force myself to keep watching and I'm happy to say that I've completely forgotten what it was about.  But at least the last episode tied up a bunch of loose ends of character stories, but the rest of the whole season was eminently forgetable.  I think it was all the characters with character flaws that were prattled about incessently.  It was like the Federation had turned into a space faring mental health organization.indecision  So, in the end, all the mental issues are resolved and everybody will live happily everafter as fixed human (or other) beings.indecision

On the other hand, the 2nd season of "Picard", although a little yawny did resolve the alternate-timeline (yes, yet another time plotfrown) dilemma.  And in the end, the story was overall, OK.  The baddies got what was coming to them and the goodies had hope again and I'd be up for another season of "Picard" if Patrick Stewart doesn't drop out.yes  However, I will not let myself get stuck in another ST Discovery season.cheeky

And regarding time plots....   They're overdone, we're saturated, it's a cop-out plot trick.  It's become the goto when the writers are out of ideas.  It's the 21st century version of "jumping the shark".  

I like good time travel stories.  These weren't. no

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

...I'd be up for another season of "Picard" if Patrick Stewart doesn't drop out.yes 

Is it even possible to have another season of Picard if Patrick Stewart isn't there?... Actually... dumb question, I forgot Hollywood existed for a moment.

edited May 2022

carrie58 said:

okay quick update ,my daughter is still in ICU ,she still has a feeding tube and drainage tubes in her but she is doing much better ,my brother drove down to help her son out and stay with her .Before any body asks or wonders why I haven't gone yet ,I don't do well in hospitals ,I have sever moblity issues ,so I am waiting until she gets out and will go stay with her at home so she is not alone . Her husband has been charged at this time with attempted 2nd degree murder, my personal opinion is it should be "attempted 1st degree murder" because it was preplanned ,it wasn't a spur of the moment /crime of passion,he has threatened to kill her a few times ,hence the restraining order ,which the police and DA ignored when he violated ......

I didn't question the part about not going down there right away, I figured you had a good reason... Also, sorry to hear you have mobility issues... and also sorry if it was mentioned before and I either forgot or missed that.

Second degree feels like a cop out, it's generally harder to prove intent, but it always seems lazy to me when it's the default in domestic violence cases, especially when you have restraining order based on death threats.

I'm going to leave it at that because I'm liable to say something unTOSie, as my feeling about this subject are very strong.

Take care and I hope her condition improves quickly.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

McGyver said:

carrie58 said:

I didn't question the part about not going down there right away, I figured you had a good reason... Also, sorry to hear you have mobility issues... and also sorry if it was mentioned before and I either forgot or missed that.

Second degree feels like a cop out, it's generally harder to prove intent, but it always seems lazy to me when it's the default in domestic violence cases, especially when you have restraining order based on death threats.

I'm going to leave it at that because I'm liable to say something unTOSie, as my feeling about this subject are very strong.

Take care and I hope her condition improves quickly.

Thank you McGyver ,never bothered to mention the disability thing cause it doesn't matter so much on the computer if ya know what I mean . Yeah I struggle with not violating the TOS ,on occasion . She is a survivior thank God .

I will meantion that  yeah "intent" kinda hard to mistake that when he had a knife on him while returning the kids from his time with them ....... that doesn't seem quite normal to me any way ...okay going back to packing things .

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited May 2022

McGyver said:

LeatherGryphon said:

...I'd be up for another season of "Picard" if Patrick Stewart doesn't drop out.yes 

Is it even possible to have another season of Picard if Patrick Stewart isn't there?... Actually... dumb question, I forgot Hollywood existed for a moment.

Hmmm, "drop out" works but my original wording was more precise.  I changed it to be less morbid.surprise 

Or maybe he's old enough now that he could be after the role that George Burns and Morgan Freeman have had.wink 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I think my clock is wrong?  it says it is 20:04 ish which is 8:04 ish pm.  or is it really getting that late?

This discussion has been closed.