Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited June 2022

Amidst the recent reigning and poreing here, I received my 64GB(2x32) of 3200 speed RAM for PoppaBear.  After inserting it and testing it (while on my test bench it's connected to the display via the motherboard's integrated HDMI port), I couldn't get the big (2K, i.e. 2560x1440) monitor to work, and had to fall back to a HD(i.e. 1920x1080) monitor to be able to boot into the BIOS.  After digging out a longer HDMI cable and twiddling with BIOS and graphic card settings I finally achieved my goal of having both monitors attached (1440 and 1080) and displaying stuff at their appropriate times (i.e. boot time, vs run time) and still permit duplicating the 1440 image onto the 1080 monitor (with minor artifacts).  I hadn't previously quite had all those three features simultaneously.  Yay!    So, one graphics issue resolved!yes And I now have my DAZing machine equipped with a completely adequate and satisfactory supply of RAM.  Ooh, memory!smiley 

It turns out that PoppaBear had 32GB but it was in two 16GB sticks instead of 4 8GB sticks and it was actually running at 3200 speed, but I wanted the 64 anyway.  The removed 32GB has been put back safely into its original box and stored in one of my "parts" boxes.  I don't need 96GB in Poppa, and he's previously had trouble overclocking RAM when using all four slots.indecision

So, Poppa has his new RAM, and I've solved one monitor problem, but I'm still left with my old MommaBear motherboard, not outputting via her HDMI output anymore.  Boogers!no

Oh well, as long as I have a half dozen boxes open and spread out on shelves and floors and have access to various video cables and adapters, I might as well dig into MommaBear's old motherboard and see how bad this issue is.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited June 2022

Complaint: Acronyms

I love acronyms, especially butchering them because I know so many that sound similar I often screw them up...
    Mostly I don't bother with anything over three letters as it becomes more cumbersome to remember "TGEEDI" for example, than "The Guild of Evil Endeavors & Dreadful Intentions"... 

But I do sincerely hate when people throw unexplained acronyms at you like expired tofu (which itself sounds like an acronym)... Fine if it's very clear you are both on the same page, if me and someone are having a verbal conversation about rapid prototyping and both have existing knowledge of the process it's fine for the other guy to say "FCF is a great FDM option", because I might know CF stands for "Carbon Fiber" and "Fused Deposition Modeling is "FDM", so the unexplained "F" in the FCF might be a new material or company name... in this sort of conversation that "F" would be exposed a few sentences later when the other person says "the Fortus series Carbon Fiber printers come in four models"... Boom... explained and even if it wasn't, I'm standing slapping distance away from the other person in case their acronyms get out of control or I feel I'm being gaslighted.

But it’s a totally different thing when you write an article that's not specificly aimed at someone knowledgeable or industry insiders who use unexplained acronyms.

One- Because it’s just bad writing and there’s a Bad Writers Guild (BWG) for that and you have to pay dues or we’ll beat you in your sleep.

And Two- Because if you are trying to write an article that regular people might read, it makes you sound like a DN... (Shower Nozzle) or "Douche Buse" as the French say... (Yes, they don't say that and the French version is different from the English acronym, but if wrote out the English abbreviation correctly it might be considered inappropriate or anti-TOS)... (Tons Of Sardines)… 

Some people do it on purpose because they are inherently DNs and throwing around acronyms like FINRA, CDP, HTLC, DAO or EIPIP gives them an opportunity to appear knowledgeable and therefore someone to unquestionably throw bags of money at.

Because if they were to take a breath and explain that FINRA, CDP, HTLC, DAO and EIPIP stand for “Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Collateralized Debt Position, Hashed Timelock Contract, Decentralized Autonomous Organization and Ethereum Improvement Proposal Improvement Proposal” (the last of which I did not make up and is a completely redundant and stupid acronym), but if they were to explain those acronyms, it would empower the reader or listener slightly and be counterproductive to sounding smarter than one is and having piles of cash thrown at them without questioning.

If I’m having a text chat with my friend Bill (he’s real and absolutely not imaginary) about electric cars, I don’t have to explain that a ICE vehicle is an Internal Combustion Engine vehicle, a PHEV is a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle or that EREVs are Extended Range electric vehicles, because I know Bill (and didn’t invent him) and I know Bill knows cars (because I gave him a backstory when I first dreamt him up)… 

But, if I’m writing an article about how electric vehicles are becoming more popular, I should maybe tip off individuals who might not be accustomed to such acronyms.

How much better is it to write “many BEV (Battery Electric Vehicles) are gaining features that allow greater range through different charging options” than to just throw out “BEV” and having the reader look it up or search back through the article trying to figure out what the “B” stands for.

It’s just courtesy to either explain it right there, or the first time you write it out use capital letters to accentuate it and then abbreviate it thereafter… not use acronyms and then one sentence before you end, write it out as “battery powered electric vehicles” because by then it’s pointless and nobody likes you anymore.

This is especially important when people seeking information respond to people on forums… you see a person who clearly is a novice and you start throwing acronyms at them… 

Are you trying to confuse them, teach them or just be a DN? 
    I’m not talking about the DAZ forums, though I have seen it here a couple of times, but recently looking at various internet forums, I’ve seen so many threads where someone who is obviously a novice is getting acronyms and technical jargon tossed at them left and right...
    I get that some people feel you should do your own research (DYOR) and that each keystroke is money (EKSIM), but what are you even doing (WTF)… it’s like when you see someone asking for an affordable option to something and the first guy to respond is like “don’t waste your money, throw the whole thing out and buy the most expensive, it’s the best choice you can make”… you see that on home improvement sites, there is alway that Original Poster (OP) who has a leaking pipe and the jerk who is like “Replace the whole system with brand new copper pipe, it’s only a quazillion dollars and you’ll never worry again” ignoring that the OP clearly stated they were a pensioner with very limited income… if I owned the internet, I’d immediately have drones dispatched to tazer shock the hell out of the “replace everything” guy to the point where he soiled himself.

I know that I’d immediately get out of hand with that power, but thankfully I’m a few years away from achieving it at this point anyway.

Where did this complaint come from?

Why do you question my motivations?… Drones have been dispatched to deal with your insolence… FEEL MY WRATH!!… 

Oh yeah, I’m not at that point yet…

Anyway…

I was reading a few articles this morning and I’m seeing people use acronyms willy-nilly without explanation any of them and even though I get them, it just peeves the hell out of me for people who don’t because it’s just endemic and effing annoyingly bad writing.

I hate when people get paid to write worse than me… I do it for free and I still pay my BWG dues, and if you aren’t going to join the Bad Writers Guild like the rest of us bad writers who hone our craft to a razor’s edge, don’t waddle around in our garden like a sick penguin with diarrhea…

Egh… that’s all. 

Well... Just remember kiddies, “Sharing is caring, so share what the hell your acronyms mean” or drones will be dispatched immediately!

(Well, “eventually-immediately”)… (ugh… that’s like Ethereum Improvement Proposal Improvement Proposal, I read that like two years ago and it still bugs me)

C&B,YLP (Cheers & Beers, You Lovely People) 

Or if you don’t like that…

H&P, YSB (Hugs & Puppies, You Silly Bastar… can I say Bastards?… It’s a type of “hand and a half” long-sword, and that’s not controversial term… Whatever, it’s at the end of this tirade, so I doubt anyone is reading at this point, so it’s hardly worth editing, but if it really matters, substitute “Beavers” for the “B” part)

Bye.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited June 2022

My early (1970s) career was as a solitary computer guy for a small department of NASA in Florida and I rarely had to write anything for anybody.  My job was to keep our two mini-computers running and make them do their tasks.  But once I made the jump to The Mitre Corporation (a technology government think-tank in Washington, DC) and had to work with people smarter, and much more professional than I, I wrote a couple of papers for internal information in the department and I got called into the office to "discuss" my writing skills.frown  The first thing at the top of the list was "acronyms".  The discussion could be summarized as "know your audience", and "don't leave 'em guessing".  All acronyms in the paper were to be identified on their first occurance.  The full acronym with capitalized initial letters first, then the acronym in parenthesis.  After which the acronym may be used in place of the full expression.  The Glossary was to contain the acronym again and a brief description of what it meant.

I also was "encouraged" to attend grammar and writing skills class presented by the head techwriter for the department.  My skills improved dramatically.  Over the 10 years that I was at Mitre I did produce a few large documents and nobody called me back into the office for acronym problems again.  I guess it helped.

Note:  I also had had a problem with run-on sentences and changes of tense, although I still have a little trouble remembering to match my tenses.   (What's the deal with "had had"?)devil

Non-complaint:  Yay... I think I've resolved my keyboard problem!  My old favorite wireless keyboard was behaving weirdly.  I wasn't sure if it was the keyboard itself or the transceiver.  The keyboard is of the Logitech "Unifying" type using the "Unifying Receiver", supposedly any Unifying Receiver.  So, I tested the keyboard's original transceiver by using Logitech's "UnifyingSoftware" and linking my wireless mouse to the suspected transceiver.  Lo and behold, now the mouse behaves weirdly.surprise  Now to try linking my old wireless keyboard through a known good transceiver.yes

If this works, then all I have to do is order a new Logitech "Unifying Receiver" and my favorite keyboard should be good to go.indecision  

Stay tuned, this channel.  News at 11:00.devil

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

LeatherGryphon said:

My early (1970s) career was as a solitary computer guy for a small department of NASA in Florida and I rarely had to write anything for anybody.  My job was to keep our two mini-computers running and make them do their tasks.  But once I made the jump to The Mitre Corporation (a technology government think-tank in Washington, DC) and had to work with people smarter, and much more professional than I, I wrote a couple of papers for internal information in the department and I got called into the office to "discuss" my writing skills.frown  The first thing at the top of the list was "acronyms".  The discussion could be summarized as "know your audience", and "don't leave 'em guessing".  All acronyms in the paper were to be identified on their first occurance.  The full acronym with capitalized initial letters first, then the acronym in parenthesis.  After which the acronym may be used in place of the full expression.  The Glossary was to contain the acronym again and a brief description of what it meant.

I also was "encouraged" to attend grammar and writing skills class presented by the head techwriter for the department.  My skills improved dramatically.  Over the 10 years that I was at Mitre I did produce a few large documents and nobody called me back into the office for acronym problems again.  I guess it helped.

Note:  I also had had a problem with run-on sentences and changes of tense, although I still have a little trouble remembering to match my tenses.   (What's the deal with "had had"?)devil

Thats exactly why you should join the Bad Writers Guild... you can write as bad as you like, punctuation, grammar, tense and spelling are all optional and you get 60% off your annual dues with an AARP (Angry Accumulation of Retired People) membership.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,730

So close to my new apartment.  And it might be real close to the mall where I used to work.  Maybe I can go back to work there?

I am using my laptop as a usb plug to charge up my FitBit watch.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,022

I'm as okay as I've ever been, thanks for not asking. smiley (waves at all you loverly people, or loverly sentient beings if you aren't actually people)

Here is a very surprised fish.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited June 2022

Sfariah said:

So close to my new apartment.  And it might be real close to the mall where I used to work.  Maybe I can go back to work there?

...that would be nice.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,511

TJohn said:

or loverly sentient beings if you aren't actually people

*waves back* 

...ah Acronyms.  It's become worse with the advent of texting as to save "thumbstrokes" people have devised all sorts of new acronyms, and unlike in a proper essay or scientific  article, they don't first spell the words out so you know what it means later. 

Google Translate needs to add a "Texting to English" translation.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092

TJohn said:

I'm as okay as I've ever been, thanks for not asking. smiley (waves at all you loverly people, or loverly sentient beings if you aren't actually people)

Was the fish surprised that you're OK, or that nobody asked?    (Glad you're OK, by the way!)

Dana 

edited June 2022

..lastly ( been busy today over 200 emails which is unusal for a Friday (woke up 140 i in the inbox):

I love waffles, who doesn't?

Been looking for a good waffle iron but just about every one I was able to find is either 1) a Belgian style waffle maker (as opposed to the old fashioned brekkie type) and 2) have Teflon™ or other toxic coatings on the plates.  Crikey having grown up in the 60s, I wonder how much I've already been poisoned all these years as Teflon™ and other coatings that flaked off were all the rage well into the next decade. Now they're realising just how bad the chemicals in those non-stick coatings are. (there have been warnings that if you have birds, not to use Teflon™ cookware)

"Better living through chemistry".

This leaves only a few that have ceramic coated plates (again mostly Belgian style waffles) along with only a couple "standard" waffle types (that are very expensive, like 120$ - 385$ expensive) and cast iron stovetop ones. (even a few of those have Teflon™ coating).  The one downside to he latter is not so much the seasoning (a couple come pre-seasoned) but that they get hot and you have to flip them to get both sides of the waffle properly baked. Not a trick I ffeel I could safely accomplish with my arthritis when dragging about like a zombie in the morning before my first cup of coffee.  

Getting tired of frozen waffles.  

edited June 2022

If I got 200 emails a day, I'd abandon that email address.indecision  Or automatically forward it to someone I hate.enlightened

I worked the first half of my life to become known.  I've spent the last half of my life trying to become anonymous again.  If successful, then when I die I'll be invisible.yes

Non-complaint:  My keyboard problem seems to have been resolved.  Yay!yes  I checked around my lab, my storage, and the rest of the house, and took inventory of my wireless keyboards.  I had three of Logitech's Unifying Receivers (UR) but yesterday identified that the one that came with the keyboard appeared to be bad (i.e. a known functional device started behaving wonkily when paired with the suspect UR).  But I still wasn't sure the keyboard itself was OK.  Today I shuffled my remaining two UR devices around and was able to pair one with my old favorite keyboard and my old favorite mouse, so now, again, both keyboard and mouse are working through one UR.  The problem historically had been intermittent, so I need to watch this configuration carefully for the next few days, but right now everything seems hunky-dory!  Wheee... my favorite keyboard & mouse are playing together again.smiley  And that means that the cheap, brand-new, wireless keyboard/mouse combo(without UR technologyno) that I bought to replace my bad keyboard can go back into its box and be stocked on the shelf.yes

I want to make lunch, but I don't know what to make.  Maybe an ice cream sandwich for now?

TJohn said:

Oh no!  Hi how are you?  I hope that you are still well.

Did I say I moved yesterday?

LeatherGryphon said:

If I got 200 emails a day, I'd abandon that email address.indecision  Or automatically forward it to someone I hate.enlightened

I worked the first half of my life to become known.  I've spent the last half of my life trying to become anonymous again.  If successful, then when I die I'll be invisible.yes

Non-complaint:  My keyboard problem seems to have been resolved.  Yay!yes  I checked around my lab, my storage, and the rest of the house, and took inventory of my wireless keyboards.  I had three of Logitech's Unifying Receivers (UR) but yesterday identified that the one that came with the keyboard appeared to be bad (i.e. a known functional device started behaving wonkily when paired with the suspect UR).  But I still wasn't sure the keyboard itself was OK.  Today I shuffled my remaining two UR devices around and was able to pair one with my old favorite keyboard and my old favorite mouse, so now, again, both keyboard and mouse are working through one UR.  The problem historically had been intermittent, so I need to watch this configuration carefully for the next few days, but right now everything seems hunky-dory!  Wheee... my favorite keyboard & mouse are playing together again.smiley  And that means that the cheap, brand-new, wireless keyboard/mouse combo(without UR technologyno) that I bought to replace my bad keyboard can go back into its box and be stocked on the shelf.yes

...as to the former, it comes with the job of being a "concerned citizen".  Spam emails already get routed to a separate inbox automatically. Emails that beg for donations likewise, however I've been trying to figure out how they have been evading my filters lately.  I also routinely unsubscribe from ones I have no recollection of signing up for nor want, only to have more from the same sources reappear a few weeks later.

As to the latter, this is why I continue using hardwired peripherals. I've dealt with wireless ones before and sometimes it was more a bother than a convenience.

Sfariah said:

...after all these years, hopefully this will be a more positive environment.

edited June 2022

...the tendrils of winter are trying to continue clutching on to us.  Only the upper 50s again today with more wet and more of the same tomorrow (yesterday's high was 16° below normal somethign we've seen a lot of over the last couple months). Feels more like mid  April than mid June. Finally (maybe) it will begin to act more like a more normal late spring/early summer for here after Sunday. 

We've had the wettest April on record and the wettest spring in over 84 years, and that is saying something given the popular reputation of the region. 

Really need that Megabucks Lotto to come through so I can move toe Hilo Hawai'i where it's 75° - 85° all year long.

Yeah, most of my keyboards are wired, not wireless.  I have a storage box full of them.  Both PS2 and USB.  And the same for mice.  But my primary position in my lab layout isn't convenient for wired keyboard & mouse.  I hate yanking a cord around when I have to move the keyboard to make room for stuff on my limited table space.indecision 

However, I'm not adverse to wired keyboards.  When I'm sitting in my comfy chair while gaming I use a wired keyboard & mouse on long cables because I'm always holding the navigation keys for long periods of time and I found that it would suck the juice from the batteries of a wireless keyboard or mouse.frown  And since my chair is a little far from the wireless receiver the connection sometimes drops too.  So, wireless or wired, each have their time & place.yes

edited June 2022

...my workplace is pretty compact, two desks at 90° to each other with a cube table (filling the space in empty corner) on which both "boxes" stand.  As I have a difficult time bending down or kneeling (as well as crawling underneath furniture) because of my arthritis, neither of them goes on the floor under the desks. So it was fairly easy to have everything hardwired together.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,022

Sfariah said:

I thought about moving today, but decided to continue sitting very still.

As to one of your earlier posts, I am indeed very OK. Hope you are happy in you new abode. Cheers to you and one and all!

I found this entertaining:

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,348

TJohn said:

Sfariah said:

As to one of your earlier posts, I am indeed very OK. Hope you are happy in you new abode. Cheers to you and one and all!

cute but the wall plugs are pretty much a giveaway (or else they are very high on the wall). 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092

TJohn said:

Sfariah said:

laugh   laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  

Dana

...we had Helium Cat, Pink Floyd had a Helium Pig, and now we have Helium Dog.  

Waiting for Helium Rhinoceros myself.

kyoto kid said:

or a helium megalodon? 

edited June 2022

kyoto kid said:

or a helium giant sloth?

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited June 2022

Oops I didn't think I double posted.  I need encouragement to get up and make breakfast.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited June 2022

Such a waste of the limited supply of Helium.crying  A noble gas, the 2nd most abundant gas in the Universe, but extremely rare on Earth.  It floats away out of the atmosphere, remember?  Unlike Hydrogen, it doesn't react with other atoms so it doesn't form compounds to trap it on Earth.  The only reason there's any at all is as a by-product of radioactive decay of Uranium atoms one-by-one over billions of years mined out of the ground from deep oil & gas wells where we capture it and pump it back into underground caverns(supposedly helium proof) for storage.  Yet we discard tons of it every day for f'n balloons and flying dogs.angry  There's lots of it in space if we wanted to suck it out of places like Jupiter or Saturn, but still kind'a hard to get our hands on.  We need it for superconducting magnets, medical scan machines, inert atmospheres for manufacturing processes and   Yet millions of us try inhaling it to sound like donald duck, and otherwise treat it like it will never run out.  Monkeys are so bad at planning for the future.cheeky  And don't hold your breath waiting for nuclear fusion to make Helium from Hydrogen.  It was 50 years away when I was a kid 70 years ago.  It's still 50 years away.  And the amount of Helium produced probably wouldn't fill a single balloon in a day.indecision

This discussion has been closed.