Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited June 2022

Non-complaint:  After my keyboard died a while ago I bought a replacement Keyboard/Mouse combo by Logitech using a single "Unifying Receiver".  The new keyboard is OK, but the mouse in the package isn't comfortable for my hand.  But, meh..., I'll live.indecision

Today, I finally got around to testing my sick keyboard and I started playing around trying to determine if it was the "Transceiver"(a more accurate word than "Receiver") or the keyboard that boogered up.  I wasn't very familiar with Logitech's "Unifying Receiver" technology and had thought that each transceiver only worked for the devices that it came with.  Wrong!  The "Unifying Receivers" work for all Logitech devices that display the logo for the "Unifying Receiver" (black gear in a red background).  But normally it's plug & play, just plug in the transceiver and turn on the devices and they link up.

However, one can also run Logitech's "Unifying Software" download on your PC and it brings up a dialog to switch to or add different but compatible Logitech devices.  As many as six can be managed.enlightened

With this "Unifying Software" tool I was able to reconnect my sick keyboard to its original "Unifying Receiver" and both are working perfectly.  But more importantly, I was able to pair my old favorite mouse to the same transceiver and now I have my favorite keyboard & mouse back, working through just one transceiver.  And I now, also, have a (nearly) brand new, spare, wireless keyboard/mouse set.  Wheee...yes

Edited to add:  Good thing I started fussing with my favorite old mouse again.  I checked the batteries because the mouse status light was blinking red.  The mouse was OK back when I replaced the keyboard set a couple of weeks ago, but now its batteries had just started leaking.  I cleaned up the slight corrosion in the mouse and replaced the batteries.  Now my lab is all green lights again.  Yay! 

As to why the old keyboard stopped working, I don't know.  Gremlins?indecision  But the old favorite mouse had had it's batteries changed just a few months ago, which is the reason I didn't inspect the mouse earlier(they're supposed to last in that mouse for 2 years!)frown.  Duracell batteries again.  I swear I'll never buy another.angry  The Energizer Bunny runs and runs and runs.  But the Duracell Bunny runs, pukes, and poops.  (Yes, there is a Duracell Bunny.surprise  Everywhere outside the USA & Canada.)

Duracell_Bunny2.png
    482 x 574 - 85K
    EnergizerBunny.png
    253 x 199 - 11K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

I took a nap.  Do I need to return it?  If so, how?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited June 2022

...feels more like mid April than June outside today, temperature well below normal (normal high this time of year is 74°) and wet as well.  Good day to just stay inside. 

Even seeing comments on other blogs & forums by people who live here who are tired of it. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Non-complaint:  My critters are back.  Today I spotted a momma groundhog/woodchuck and her three babies browsing in the yard visible out of my kitchen window.  Also, have seen a couple brown bunnies and babies.  No deer or bear yet, but not ulikely.smiley

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Sfariah said:

I took a nap.  Do I need to return it?  If so, how?

No, keep it!

Dana 

Still nothing from Misty?  Anyone?

Dana

...nothing.  I did a number of different of searches I could think of based on her location, her work, her writings, hospital reports, fire and rescue reports, news reports/notices. and came up totally empty.  

Everytme I'm out and about and come accross a cool freindly, doggie I think of her and her "buppies". 

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

so sad.  Thanks for trying to find info on Misty.

Sad.  I'm surprised that nobody knew her well enough.  I guess she's been quite lonely.   sad

Dana

edited June 2022

Non-complaint:  I've been wanting to double my DAZ machine RAM up to 64GB for more intense IRay rendering and I've been watching a particular set of 2x32GB Corsair: "Vengeance LPX" at Amazon, but couldn't justify the expense.  However, today, Amazon dropped the price by about $50 and I also had $34 in "points" at Amazon so I bit the bullet.  Hopefully, on Wednesday I'll have two sticks of 32GB 3200 Corsair: "Vengeance LPX" RAM in PoppaBear.  Wheee...smiley  That means I can remove the four(2 sets of 2) 8GB sticks currently in that machine but only running at 2133 instead of 3200 because of overclocking incompatabilities from slightly mis-matched RAM sets when using 4-slots.  PoppaBear is finally joining the 3rd decade of the 21st century.yes

Complaint:  Now what do I do with four sticks of DDR4 8GB 3200 Corsair: "Vengeance" RAM?  All my other machines are full of RAM.indecision  Well, at least I now have some spares but I am, with much difficulty, trying NOT to build another computer.sad  I have quite enough now and they're now all completed to my original designs.yes 

I did pretty good, I have no motherboards on the shelf, I have a couple of new or slightly used 3.5" hard drives on the shelf, I have a spare wireless keyboard/mouse, I have no unused computer cases, I have one old spare power supply, I have no CPUs looking for a motherboard, I now have some spare DDR4 RAM, I have no unused coolers.  I've pretty much cleaned off my shelves.  I've even integrated all of my computers into my network now.  Both the "modern" ones as well as the "ancient" ones.  None left on the shelf.  So, if I'm careful I won't be tempted to build another computer.  Whew!wink

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

DanaTA said:

Sad.  I'm surprised that nobody knew her well enough.  I guess she's been quite lonely.   sad

Dana

A couple of people did try and mail her cards a few months ago, but none of us ever heard back and none of the cards were returned either... Actually back in October someone found a phone number that was most likely hers and I volunteered to call since I live the closest... it went to generic voicemail and I left a message... I also left a return number for her or whoever might get the number to call back... but nobody every called.

If the address that was found, was accurate (and it seems to be) it's actually not that far from me, in the same town my friend lives in... I've thought about going there and leaving a note or knocking on the door, but that might be too weird... some stranger (and I'm strrrrrrrraaaaaange) knocking on your door... also I'm not sure what the occupancy arrangement was, I think she was a tenant in a separate apartment in a private home.

I was wondering about that too... if she was hospitalized or living with a relative due to poor health, who would be getting her mail?

I really hope she is okay... It really is sad that she vanished from the forums... she used to respond to my squirrel and animal related posts and sometimes when something animal related happens I think "Misty would get a kick out of that"... it's a real bummer. 
    The other day I found the tiny mouse guitar I made for that long Corky The Mouse saga from last year (where I caught a wayward deer mouse and kept her until spring and built her a house to live in when I returned her to the wild)... The little guitar was kind of sad... Misty liked animal stories and it reminded me of her.

I really hope she is okay and just taking a break from 3D.

It's nice to know that someone made a serious effort.  Would knowing her real name help with maybe checking (I know this is morbid) for death notices?  I always go to the worst case and work my way to the mundane from there.  blush

Dana

edited June 2022

We believe we know her real name, although there is a slight chance it's a nom de plume, it most likely is her name because someone found a high school photo and it looks like the person in the photo matches a photo of her from one she had on the forums (or something like that)... accounting for age... the high school info also matches with places she has mentioned living. 
    I also believe someone looked into death notices and obituaries already and it was inconclusive.

Post edited by McGyver on

McGyver said:

We believe we know her real name, although there is a slight chance it's a nom de plume, it most likely is her name because someone found a high school photo and it looks like the person in the photo matches a photo of her from one she had on the forums (or something like that)... accounting for age... the high school info also matches with places she has mentioned living. 
    I also believe someone looked into death notices and obituaries already and it was inconclusive.

All I find when I search her name is ads for her books...and there seem to be quite a few of them.  No biography, no name search results.  So, someone's search-fu is better than mine.

Dana 

edited June 2022

DanaTA said:

All I find when I search her name is ads for her books...and there seem to be quite a few of them.  No biography, no name search results.  So, someone's search-fu is better than mine.

Dana 

I sent you a PM... also a carrier pigeon, but he's a bit slow and stupid so you should probably check the message first because he's probably dead by now... he's really bad at flying too... I'm sure he'll never make it to Massachusetts... he'd probably drown in Long Island Sound if he even made it down the block... He's got a lot of heart though... but yeah, definitely check the PM, and don't wait for him to show up.

edited June 2022

Ugh... never mind the pigeon...  he didn't make it across the street... I guess he decided to walk there...

Well, I'm gonna get a shovel... I've got some asphalt scraping to do...

McGyver said:

Ugh... never mind the pigeon...  he didn't make it across the street... I guess he decided to walk there...

poor stupid pigeon! 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

DanaTA said:

McGyver said:

Dana 

How long has it been now? Seems like a decade has past.

frank0314 said:

DanaTA said:

McGyver said:

Dana 

Probably at least ten months, I think.

Dana 

McGyver said:

Never saw the pigeon, but I got your message and replied.  I did see a Gray Catbird, a Song Sparrow, and a Brown-Headed Cowbird (female), and a few American Robins.  But no pigeon.

Dana 

I want to go to bed, but it is too early I think.

It is too hot outside?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,638

DanaTA said:

frank0314 said:

Dana 

Her last posts were the end of August 2021; but her profile indicates her computer was connected to the DAZ site until about a month later on 21 Sept 

I think it is bed time or at least very close to it.

Charlie Judge said:

DanaTA said:

frank0314 said:

Dana 

Her last posts were the end of August 2021; but her profile indicates her computer was connected to the DAZ site until about a month later on 21 Sept 

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that... that was one of the things that worried me... I really hope she just forgot it in sleep mode before she went to the hospital... I think from her last post she mentioned she was going to check herself into Saint Catherine's hospital in a few days.

What is going on with the forums... I've had a bunch of bad gateway errors all morning... so frickin' annoying.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

only one complanit today - its 9C (48F), wind is blowing a hoolie (50-65 MPH) and there's torrential rain.. Had to put the heat on this am.. Rivers are rising too, and ist snowing west of us..

I went to GameStop and saw this guy.

EDEED987-2EB7-40FB-8A54-246E769F0D96.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    62E9213F-7C55-4FEE-AC5B-3BA9D6BFAA88.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 2M

Is that Suicidal Sam?... I love the way he leaps off of ledges and balconies... he's so cute... unless you are under him when he jumps, I suppose.

hacsart said:

only one complanit today - its 9C (48F), wind is blowing a hoolie (50-65 MPH) and there's torrential rain.. Had to put the heat on this am.. Rivers are rising too, and ist snowing west of us..

...been sort of like that for us here as well. Not quite a cold but still unseasonable for this time of year.  Yeah, we'll be struggling to even make 70 on the first day of summer when the normal high is supposed to be in the mid 70s. At least is now supposed to be partly cloudy, though as I've seen that can change for the worse in a few days. Tomorrow was supposed to be partly sunny but now calls for cloudy all day.  Beginning to feel I'm in Juneau Alaska instead of Portland OR.

Meanwhile, back in the old home country, more extreme heat in Wisconsin. 96°  in downtown Steven's Point (up in the north central area of the state) where I first went to college. 98° at Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee though 102° by Warnimont Park which is on the lake shore near my old high school, and 100° in Bay View where I used to go to grade school.  In Madison where I lived for a bit, 96° on the UW campus and at Dane County Airport. while  90° up north in Park Falls (which in winter is usually the state's coldest spot)

This discussion has been closed.