Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,556

N-RArts said:

Richard Haseltine said:

N-RArts said:

I wish I could talk to the animals like Dr. Dolittle. From the amount of conversation I'm getting here, I'd be better off chatting to the woodlice/roly poly in the walls -_-

Does anyone know if it would be possible to rip out an SSD from one laptop (Dell), and install it in another laptop (HP)?

Is the slot accessible in both? If so, probably - but you wouldn't be able to just use the OS, I fear, if that is the intent.

It would be an SSD with Windows 10 installed, put into a HP Pavillion laptop (which should've been reset to factory settiings - or whatever the computer equivalent it).

As for slots, I have no idea. I don't have the Pavilion yet (it's in the second hand store waiting to be picked up), as for the Dell. I know even less about that (not being very helpful am I... sorry ^^' ).

Physically it should fit, and the drive should work, but the computer may complain about it - At least a Thinkpad I changed a disk to, complained about 'unsupported disk' everytime it was started. Otherwise it was fully functional though. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,209
    edited November 2022

I believe that the OS, might work, somewhat.  However, unless you installed a Win10 full license (not an OEM license) the original Win10 OEM license is tied to the original motherboard on which it was installed, and cannot be re-assigned without negotiating (pleading) with Microsoft humans, probably unsuccessfully, and you'll lose some functionality.  Also, the drivers may be wonky for a while until the system catches up as much as it can.  Also, some licensed applications might complain about their new home.  Additionally, if the processor type changes (Intel vs AMD) the transplanted OS might be a bit wonky when running on the unexpected processor type.

The reasonablest approach would be to download Win10 fresh from Microsoft and install it, get a license for it, then set about transfering your personal files and reinstalling software apps.  

Complaint:  I miss my days working with UNIX back in the '80s, '90s, and early '00s. heart Transfering an installed app to another computer was just as easy as moving the files and letting the OS know it was there so it could run the initialization code when invoked.  Licenses, were another matter, but easily solved with a license manager or other simple approach.  But moving a complex, installed application to another computer was "just pick it up and move it".  Sometimes it had two parts, "static & dynamic" that had to be placed in the appropriate storage spots, but still easy-peasy.smiley  However, Microsoft and their infernal "Registry" boogered up that idea.frown  Don't get me started about my perceived evils of the Microsoft Registry.angry

I came from a background of 16-bit mini-computers, various Motorola 680xx CPUs, and even earlier wirewrapped, discrete element motherboards like in the IBM-1130.  So, in the '60s & '70s I was already used to the idea of direct memory addressing with long addresses.yes  Then in the mid-'90s I was forced (i.e. dragged kicking and screaming) to work on 8-bit Microsoft PC, with DOS and early Windows with the obscene memory addressing schemes of the early Intel chips.sad  My job at the time involved writing my own realtime, multiprocess, OS systems for robotic control and advanced, experimental, communication systems using Motorola 680xx based systems. But exposure to the PC world formed my opinion of Intel chips, and that it was a stupid way to design a computer.cheeky  And I saw Win95 & 98 as a consequently, poorly designed mess and as lame as a racing turtle.no

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Winter is definitely coming as the house is again being invaded, but fortunately I have finally found a defensive system that appears to be doing what it is supposed to be doing instead of just being a dinnertable for the invading army...

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

PerttiA said:

Winter is definitely coming as the house is again being invaded, but fortunately I have finally found a defensive system that appears to be doing what it is supposed to be doing instead of just being a dinnertable for the invading army...

The flying reindeer?... That's hard to defend against... I'm assuming you are using some sort of consumer grade ground to air missile defense system... of course, really, really large glue traps on the roof are probably equally effective... and a lot less problematic with the neighbors and commercial air traffic... not as much fun as smoking one of those annoying reindeer as it's coming in for a landing, but generally less messy too.

• PerttiA said:

Relatives or just ants? 

• Non-complaint:  Music to DAZ by:  The serene middle movement of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto.  Performed here by Lang Lang.  Good performance if you ignore the drama laden histrionics of the pianist.

2nd movement: @ 12:20 to 24:34

Today's dumb photo...

In my defense, the caulking was that color to begin with and had to be cleared from the cartridge.

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

Relatives or just ants? 

Furry creatures with hairless tails...

A few years ago everything was easy as one just needed to have a pile of laced grain available until christmas, but then powers that be here in EU, banned selling the stuff to regular people.

McGyver said:

PerttiA said:

The flying reindeer?... That's hard to defend against... I'm assuming you are using some sort of consumer grade ground to air missile defense system... of course, really, really large glue traps on the roof are probably equally effective... and a lot less problematic with the neighbors and commercial air traffic... not as much fun as smoking one of those annoying reindeer as it's coming in for a landing, but generally less messy too.

laugh 

• LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Music to DAZ by:  The serene middle movement of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto.  Performed here by Lang Lang.  Good performance if you ignore the drama laden histrionics of the pianist.

2nd movement: @ 12:20 to 24:34

on the other hand, a few days late, some real Halloween music

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098

McGyver said:

Today's dumb photo...

In my defense, the caulking was that color to begin with and had to be cleared from the cartridge.

You should publish a book...1001 Uses for Googly Eyes!

Dana 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,755

I'm thinking of voting but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,403

DanaTA said:

McGyver said:

Today's dumb photo...

Dana 

Seconded enthusiastically. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,256

DanaTA said:

McGyver said:

Today's dumb photo...

Dana 

There's really only one use for googly eyes.

• Sfariah said:

That is wrong thinking.  Stop it.  Just stop it.angry  Don't be intimidated.  Whatever your opinion, vote, damn it.  Vote.   But be sure what you're voting for.indecision

Sfariah said:

Do it.

It's not just a right, it's a responsibility.

I'd say more but probably TOS. 

You don't want to anger the Turtles Of Sorrow.

Gordig said:

There's really only one use for googly eyes.

There are thousands of good uses for googly eyes... most of them are legal too.

DanaTA said:.

Dana 

One of my goals in life is to have a book I wrote make it to the shelves of Dollar Tree*... that could be the one.

*Technically it should be Dollar Twenty Five Tree now

edited November 2022

Back when I was a kid, there were "Five & Dime" stores where the premise was lots of stuff for a nickel or a dime (5 or 10 cents).  So, why, after 65 years of inflation, wouldn't their modern equivalent, the "Dollar Store" evolve into a "Dollar and a Quarter Store".indecision  Sounds like a bargain.  Much better than a "Two Dollar Store"devil

Note:  Our Five & Dime store closed more than 50 years ago, but the building is still there in the city.  You have to look carefully through all the layers of paint but you can still make out the original sign.  Although the building is now a series of surplus military/hunter supply and junk & consignment stores.indecision

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

transfer speeds for the 2.5 inch SATA hard drive is faster when it is connected via USB 3.0 drive enclosure?  I see read speeds of 200 MB/s instead of 100 MB/s.  I guess the internal SATA interface is old.  The m.2 SSD works fine though with read speeds of 2 GB/s.

Not really a complaint but I keep seeing threads about that Peppa figure and I keep thinking it's about Peppa Pig.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

starionwolf said:

transfer speeds for the 2.5 inch SATA hard drive is faster when it is connected via USB 3.0 drive enclosure?  I see read speeds of 200 MB/s instead of 100 MB/s.  I guess the internal SATA interface is old.

i guess the benchmark program isn't 100% accurate. Now it reports read speeds of 70 MB/s via USB.  Oh well.  At least I can still access my 80 GB runtime library for Daz Studio.

• Google is my friend:  I got curious about "Five and Dime stores".  and found out that the original idea for the first "Five and Dime" was just as a "five", as in a whole store dedicated to the idea of a 5-cent bargain table already in vogue, but quickly evolved to "five and dime".  Who would'a thunk it?surprise  And they originated in Central NY State not too awfully far from me (well, maybe 200 miles), 

https://www.unitedstatesnow.org/what-is-a-five-and-dime.htm#:~:text=The first five and dime,store where he had worked.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952

WoolWorth 5& Dime in Fla back in the 50's and 60's

edited November 2022

carrie58 said:

WoolWorth 5& Dime in Fla back in the 50's and 60's

The one near me was a Ben Franklin Five & Dime.

And I just noticed the address above is "www.unitedstatesnow.org"  and got confused by the "snow" in it.blush

Which reminds me of a building I noticed in Venice, Florida for a women's help organization called "Woman's Exchange" in the sign on the building but Internet address listed was painted as "womensexchange.com".  It was a poor choice to use no capitals.  Careful how you read it.frown  

As far as I know, Internet naming rules still specify that the first part of a URL, preceeding the first slash (/) of the URL are case independent  eg:  "daz3d.com/forums/..." is just as good as DaZ3D.cOM or dAZ3d.coM, etc.  But after the first slash, letter case does, or is permitted to, matter.indecision

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,355
    edited November 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Google is my friend:  I got curious about "Five and Dime stores".  and found out that the original idea for the first "Five and Dime" was just as a "five", as in a whole store dedicated to the idea of a 5-cent bargain table already in vogue, but quickly evolved to "five and dime".  Who would'a thunk it?surprise  And they originated in Central NY State not too awfully far from me (well, maybe 200 miles), 

https://www.unitedstatesnow.org/what-is-a-five-and-dime.htm#:~:text=The first five and dime,store where he had worked.

Hah ! That brings back memories.

I grew up in Clinton, NY (which is just a few miles south of Utica) and as a teenager I could take the bus to shop in Utica. I remember the Woolworth 5 and 10 that was still there in the 1950's. Evidently it was not the very original which failed after only a few months; but was one brought back to Utica.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098
    edited November 2022

There was a Woolworth's in my home city, too.  It was between an S.S. Kresge 5&10, and a J.J. Newberry's.  I used to pass by them (or through them) every day on the way to school, 1st and 2nd grades.  Kresge's later became K-Mart (though not in that location).

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on

I got a new Bluetooth mouse today.  It required a AA battery and I already had two.

edited November 2022

I think I want to go to sleep soon.  I'm already in bed but need to turn the light off.

testing a gif. Which got turned into a still image.

D976BA91-9F96-47EF-9D5A-7B117A6CEE8B.gif
    480 x 480 - 2M
    Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah said:

That is wrong thinking.  Stop it.  Just stop it.angry  Don't be intimidated.  Whatever your opinion, vote, damn it.  Vote.   But be sure what you're voting for.indecision

...agreed. 

This discussion has been closed.