Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

McGyver said:

This is excitement I can absolutely live without... I remember when you'd just go out to vote like "laa-laa-laaah... off to go do my civic duty"... now it's like if you tick the wrong box Gondor falls and Sauron gets to eat your cookies...

I can't deal with this... I've been avoiding the news for several days because in two seconds I go from "laa-laa-laaah, let's see what's going on" to wanting to project laser doom rays out of my eyes at all that alarms me...

I've been avoiding the mailbox too because it's been filled/stuffed with large (expensive) glossy heavyweight paper flyers that just instantly light my fuse...

I chose my words carefully there... I shouldn't have violated any Therapeutic Otter Sock protocols.

I long for a time where this is just a boring exercise in civic responsibility again and not anything more.

...just since the 1at of this month I've received 2,612 emails soliciting donations. That number doesn't include reminders to vote check your registration. or participate in a rally, knock on doors, or text/phone banking  to get out the vote.

Since the beginning of October there total number of donation emails I've received is 10,920 and counting.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098

kyoto kid said:

McGyver said:

This is excitement I can absolutely live without... I remember when you'd just go out to vote like "laa-laa-laaah... off to go do my civic duty"... now it's like if you tick the wrong box Gondor falls and Sauron gets to eat your cookies...

I can't deal with this... I've been avoiding the news for several days because in two seconds I go from "laa-laa-laaah, let's see what's going on" to wanting to project laser doom rays out of my eyes at all that alarms me...

I've been avoiding the mailbox too because it's been filled/stuffed with large (expensive) glossy heavyweight paper flyers that just instantly light my fuse...

I chose my words carefully there... I shouldn't have violated any Therapeutic Otter Sock protocols.

I long for a time where this is just a boring exercise in civic responsibility again and not anything more.

...just since the 1at of this month I've received 2,612 emails soliciting donations. That number doesn't include reminders to vote check your registration. or participate in a rally, knock on doors, or text/phone banking  to get out the vote.

Since the beginning of October there total number of donation emails I've received is 10,920 and counting.

Why don't you simply opt out of those emails?

Dana 

edited November 2022

...unsubscribing is a futile gesture. as given how the net works today,  Igo to a site to read about say climate or issues or voice a concern, sign/endorse a petition, and *bang* I'm on theirs and a number of other mailing lists, some i never heard of. There has been one I keep unsubscribing to and returns like a bad penny a week so later.

This is why the term "web" is often very appropriate. 

I still need to figure out how so many of them have been evading my array of filters lately.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,755

Two dollars used to get one something, but now?

• Non-Complaint: Somebody won the Powerball lottery.

Complaint: It wasn't me. 

Charlie Judge said:

Non-Complaint: Somebody won the Powerball lottery.

Complaint: It wasn't me. 

Oops!  It wasn't me either as I forgot to buy a ticket? 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

Sfariah said:

It will still get you eight quarters or twenty dimes or forty nickels or two hundred pennies... probably at least two pennies will be Canadian though... actually scratch that, it probably won't get you any of that, because apparently everywhere I go I see signs that say "due to a national coin shortage, please give exact change"... apparently Covid killed off all the coin trees and while they plant new ones we ain't getting any coins unless we murder our piggy banks and spend their guts.

Yes... I said it kiddies... coins are ceramic pig guts.

It's time you knew.

Life is hard and then someone beats you with a hammer to buy a lottery ticket with you entrails.

...I heard they had trouble with the drawing last night. 

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

i saw a cloudflare gateway timeout error message when I tried to visit the forums.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Not Canadian pennies - we phased them out in 2012-13.. I still have a few somewhere as "souvenirs"

McGyver said:

Sfariah said:

It will still get you eight quarters or twenty dimes or forty nickels or two hundred pennies... probably at least two pennies will be Canadian though... actually scratch that, it probably won't get you any of that, because apparently everywhere I go I see signs that say "due to a national coin shortage, please give exact change"... apparently Covid killed off all the coin trees and while they plant new ones we ain't getting any coins unless we murder our piggy banks and spend their guts.

Yes... I said it kiddies... coins are ceramic pig guts.

It's time you knew.

Life is hard and then someone beats you with a hammer to buy a lottery ticket with you entrails.

...I have a few really old ones with King George on them.

The oldest coin I have is a  bronze  Roman coin of Constantine the Great.

kyoto kid said:

...I have a few really old ones with King George on them.

...nothing that old but I have a German Thaler coin from 1685 (the year Bach was born).

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,209
    edited November 2022

Non-complaint:  Finally, animations that give me an inkling about how to think about a "Wave Function" and how it behaves and how it can end up on the other side of a barrier.  Not so much the first demo, but starting at 1:08, the evolution of the wave is most illustrative for both transmission and tunneling.  Wheee... I'm beginning to grok!yes 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

hacsart said:

I didn't think Canadia was that old...

I was pretty sure it only went back as far as 404 AD when Murong Xi of the Later Han Solo Dynasty established Quebec as the seat of the Really Far Off, We Basically Got Lost Exploring And Gave Up Trying To Get Back Home province of Quebecia (as it was known at the time)... just a couple of years before Xi was accidentally beheaded while shaving and being accused of treason, thus ending the Later Han Solo Dynasty's claim to Quebecia and Proto-Canadia in general.

Technically I did know there were already a lot of Roman SVP (Siculae Vetus Pullum) Thermopoliums in Quebecia (ancient Roman versions of Kentucky Fried Chicken, or more accurately "Sicilian Sun Dried Chicken") when Xi arrived, but I thought they were just trying out new franchise locations, I didn't realize they started out that early... unless the coin was from a very early Canadianese parking meter found in the ruins of the ancient metropolis of Winnipegia.

Even though Winnipegia is more or less just a fable and was rumored to have been destroyed by a volcano while it was being simultaneously devastated by a Giant Goose Kaiju during an earthquake and flood, right before it burst into flames and sank into the sea, it was supposed to have held many fine Roman fast food restaurants like SVP, Little Caesar's Pizza, Caligula Burger and Gladiator Donuts, but unfortunately parking lots were not invented yet, so everyone had to park at meters... which wasn't really that big a deal because not a lot of people had cars yet... but for some reason apparently they still put coins in the meter, perhaps as an offering to Bacchus the Roman god of Alcoholism and Vending Machines.

I'm still not convinced Winnipegia even existed as it seems just as far fetched as Torontopia, Calgary-gri-La, and The (Other) Lost City of Saskatoon.

I realize my extensive knowledge of Canadianese history is a little unusual for someone supposedly from Long Island, but I've been fascinated with your majestic empire ever since I discovered that much of this sandy glacial moraine I live on is made from Canadianese sand brought down south by the giant prehistoric woolly ice gophers that came down this way during the Ice Age (some time after the first movie, but probably not too far into the third one)...

It's sad we try to pass this off as an island and some argue its technically a peninsula more akin to Monster Island in Japan as opposed to a real island like Atlantis or California (well, not at the moment, but give it some time)... but alas it's just made out gritty bits of Canadia that the giant gophers didn't want.

Despite Canadia having burned down the White House during The War of 1813, according to some famous historian guy who was also a natural born scientist, entrepreneur, part time space general and gourmet ketchup critic, I still have a great appreciation for the long and storied history of both the Ancient Canadianese Empire and the modern one, whatever they call it.

If I've been inaccurate or slightly blatantly insanely wrong to any degree, please forgive me as I did research most of this using assorted trustworthy sources such as various alien conspiracy websites, bigfootisreal.com, psychotropic drugs and the talking Canadianese goose down by the lake. 

Greg is a great goose and even though he seems to be invisible to most people, he's really smart and trustworthy.

Anyway, keep that coin safe and don't stick it in any little kid's ears playing silly magic tricks, I lost a subway token that way once trying to amuse a little kid... who knew you aren't actually supposed to stuff it into their ear...? My grandfather used to do that and the coin would roll right out the other side.

Whatever.

Take care and hold on to that coin, you never know when you might randomly time travel to ancient Winnipegia and need to ask Bacchus for a favor.

kyoto kid said:

...nothing that old but I have a German Thaler coin from 1685 (the year Bach was born).

I found an oatmeal raisin cookie under the radiator... it's probably been there for at least thirty years.

McGyver said:

kyoto kid said:

I found an oatmeal raisin cookie under the radiator... it's probably been there for at least thirty years.

Don't eat it!

edited November 2022

Well played sirrah!    and by the way , Winnipegia exists, but you really don;t want to go there.. (although the area around the Forks is sort of nice..)

McGyver said:

If I've been inaccurate or slightly blatantly insanely wrong to any degree, please forgive me as I did research most of this using assorted trustworthy sources such as various alien conspiracy websites, bigfootisreal.com, psychotropic drugs and the talking Canadianese goose down by the lake.

citizen_kane_gif.gif
    400 x 300 - 541K
    Post edited by hacsart on
  • ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

Sfariah said:

McGyver said:

kyoto kid said:

Don't eat it!

It sounds like it's well preserved to me. I am sure I heard somewhere that oatmeal keeps forever.

McGyver, I really appreciate your history lessons. They are so informative.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,532

kyoto kid said:

...unsubscribing is a futile gesture. as given how the net works today,  Igo to a site to read about say climate or issues or voice a concern, sign/endorse a petition, and *bang* I'm on theirs and a number of other mailing lists, some i never heard of. There has been one I keep unsubscribing to and returns like a bad penny a week so later.

I still need to figure out how so many of them have been evading my array of filters lately.

I think you should set it to block everything by default, and create filters for mail you want to get through.\

Or just start with a new email address, if possible. Maybe everybody should do that peridocally, like checking their smoke detectors. 

...I did, and very detailed ones which screen out emails that just beg for money but not ones form the same senders that for more "legitimate" actions such as contacting representatives or signing petitions (which took me a fair amount of time to set up given the complexity involved,  Somehow the senders must have some sort of routines they use that lets these emails get around such filters., sort of like sites that block your advert blockers and won't let you do anything until you turn your blocker off.  

McGyver said:

hacsart said:

I didn't think Canadia was that old...

I was pretty sure it only went back as far as 404 AD when Murong Xi of the Later Han Solo Dynasty established Quebec as the seat of the Really Far Off, We Basically Got Lost Exploring And Gave Up Trying To Get Back Home province of Quebecia (as it was known at the time)... just a couple of years before Xi was accidentally beheaded while shaving and being accused of treason, thus ending the Later Han Solo Dynasty's claim to Quebecia and Proto-Canadia in general.

Technically I did know there were already a lot of Roman SVP (Siculae Vetus Pullum) Thermopoliums in Quebecia (ancient Roman versions of Kentucky Fried Chicken, or more accurately "Sicilian Sun Dried Chicken") when Xi arrived, but I thought they were just trying out new franchise locations, I didn't realize they started out that early... unless the coin was from a very early Canadianese parking meter found in the ruins of the ancient metropolis of Winnipegia.

Even though Winnipegia is more or less just a fable and was rumored to have been destroyed by a volcano while it was being simultaneously devastated by a Giant Goose Kaiju during an earthquake and flood, right before it burst into flames and sank into the sea, it was supposed to have held many fine Roman fast food restaurants like SVP, Little Caesar's Pizza, Caligula Burger and Gladiator Donuts, but unfortunately parking lots were not invented yet, so everyone had to park at meters... which wasn't really that big a deal because not a lot of people had cars yet... but for some reason apparently they still put coins in the meter, perhaps as an offering to Bacchus the Roman god of Alcoholism and Vending Machines.

I'm still not convinced Winnipegia even existed as it seems just as far fetched as Torontopia, Calgary-gri-La, and The (Other) Lost City of Saskatoon.

I realize my extensive knowledge of Canadianese history is a little unusual for someone supposedly from Long Island, but I've been fascinated with your majestic empire ever since I discovered that much of this sandy glacial moraine I live on is made from Canadianese sand brought down south by the giant prehistoric woolly ice gophers that came down this way during the Ice Age (some time after the first movie, but probably not too far into the third one)...

It's sad we try to pass this off as an island and some argue its technically a peninsula more akin to Monster Island in Japan as opposed to a real island like Atlantis or California (well, not at the moment, but give it some time)... but alas it's just made out gritty bits of Canadia that the giant gophers didn't want.

Despite Canadia having burned down the White House during The War of 1813, according to some famous historian guy who was also a natural born scientist, entrepreneur, part time space general and gourmet ketchup critic, I still have a great appreciation for the long and storied history of both the Ancient Canadianese Empire and the modern one, whatever they call it.

Greg is a great goose and even though he seems to be invisible to most people, he's really smart and trustworthy.

Anyway, keep that coin safe and don't stick it in any little kid's ears playing silly magic tricks, I lost a subway token that way once trying to amuse a little kid... who knew you aren't actually supposed to stuff it into their ear...? My grandfather used to do that and the coin would roll right out the other side.

Whatever.

Take care and hold on to that coin, you never know when you might randomly time travel to ancient Winnipegia and need to ask Bacchus for a favor.

laugh   laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  

Always so amusing!

Dana

NylonGirl said:

kyoto kid said:

I think you should set it to block everything by default, and create filters for mail you want to get through.\

That may not be a bad idea!  laugh  Certainly would be easier!

Dana

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,445

Oof! I thought I got the blue-screen of death then. I think "The Tabby Terror's" butt is killing my laptop.

Got rid of the Dell Laptop. I hope my Auntie has remembered at least some of what I've told her about it (like how to turn it on and off). 

Looks like my football team are going to be out of another cup competition. Oh well... :/

edited November 2022

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I got a friend to drive me uptown today.smiley  No bus or Uber needed.  She went to a doctor appointment, while I went to the CVS drugstore, and used up my $10 coupon before it expired.yes  Then we stopped at the Chinese restaurant and got take-out (had to, they still haven't opened their dining room again).  Also, while up there, we dropped by the UPS store so I could send my empty shipping bag back to Amazon, so that they can verify that the bag left their facilities unsealed causing it to arrive here empty, before they'll refund my money or send me a replacement tube of silicon caulking.frown  Me getting to the UPS store is a real problem by bus and very expensive via Uber.no

Complaint:  The UPS store was unable to verify the return shipping arrangement, and Amazon had never sent me any official authorization, and there's only a couple days before the return grace period expires.frown  I gave up, threw the bag away, and just ate the cost.sad  The loss of my $7 isn't going to bankrupt me, but I'm pissed at Amazon for dropping the ball on this purchase.  They're usually very on-the-ball regarding customer complaints.indecision

What is Mono?  I just took a mono test today.

edited November 2022

Sfariah said:

What is Mono?  I just took a mono test today.

Probably this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis

UP here we consider the Canada goose pretty nigh onto vermin at times..  

Have lived in Torontopia, Calgary-gri-La, and  been toThe (Other) Lost City of Saskatoon. as well as originally being from Montreal.. Have been to Vancouver, Victoria, Banff (an hours drive, nice outing for lunch and a walkabout) and Jasper.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,445

I really don't think it's meant for me to get back into working with Daz Studio.

I haven't been able to render, and Daz has been awful at loading. I think I may have figured out why. My RAM is supposed to be 16GB 

Daz can only find:

Disk Total: 681. 7GB

Disk Available: 545.0GB

Although Task Manager/Resource Monitor says that there's 12.4GB available. With 3.4GB Cached.

Which is right? How do I solve this? Any advice welcome.

'Plaint. I hate virtual reception bots.

...ran across a billing discrepancy yesterday with my Xfinity account so I needed to call them.

Of course once I received a reply it's a very annoying bot not a real person that can't think it's way out of a wet rice paper bag.  The thing I real dislike is having to talk to a virtual fake person that is programmed to be "helpful, and is anything but.  Fortunately I still know the old key sequences to use to navigate through and around this digital roadblock to get a real live person on the other end.

A few minutes after it couldn't comprehend what I wanted, it relented and put me in a wait queue for the next agent.  Severla minutds into the hold it came back and triedto get me to use their virtual Assistant (another bot) via text (it tried to get me to do that earlier).  Now I'm not about to explain a rather difficult situation having to enter my responses in on a phone keypad to another programme of about equal dumbness, so I entered "2" for "no".  Instead of taking back to the hold queue I was in, the bot says "goodbye" and ends the call.

The issue I have needs to be dealt with by a live person not a synthesised digital one that usually ends up going around in circles as it's not programmed to handle anything more complex than the basic spiel it was programmed with.  In face, this particular one is so cheesy that when it says "let me look at your account" there is a fake recording of someone typing on a keyboard (I wonder if anyone actually falls for that). 

It used to be so much easier when the there was an actual person on the other end instead of an "artificially dumb" facsimile of one.  Going to have to try again tomorrow as just got so disgusted. 

This discussion has been closed.