Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited November 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Back when I was a kid, there were "Five & Dime" stores where the premise was lots of stuff for a nickel or a dime (5 or 10 cents).  So, why, after 65 years of inflation, wouldn't their modern equivalent, the "Dollar Store" evolve into a "Dollar and a Quarter Store".indecision  Sounds like a bargain.  Much better than a "Two Dollar Store"devil

Note:  Our Five & Dime store closed more than 50 years ago, but the building is still there in the city.  You have to look carefully through all the layers of paint but you can still make out the original sign.  Although the building is now a series of surplus military/hunter supply and junk & consignment stores.indecision

...there used to be one one I'd pass by between school an the bus stop which i'd sometimes stop in at on the way home.  It's now a "vintage" store that sells things like clothign and records . 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

...really turned off by the change to daily sales where everything seems to require purchasing one or more if the day's "new releases" that usually cost more than 10$ to get a discount anymore. Guess I'll have to wait until next year for the Spring/Summer Daz+ sale.   Hopefully that one's not cut short like the October one was.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,754

Was a penny candy ever a penny?  I know that type of candy isn't available for a penny anywhere anymore.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,209
    edited November 2022

Yes, I remember penny candy.   Tootsie Rolls were a penny apiece.  But when I was of a single digit age, I remember them tasting better.  Perhaps they used real sugar back then.  But now a Tootsie Roll is almost adequate for window putty.sad

Now, even in bulk bags of 260 half-sized pieces (original ones were at least twice as long as in the photo below) they now cost 7 cents apiece.indecision

Tootsie-Rolls.png
    428 x 318 - 170K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

Yup, even when I was a kid there still was penny candy... one I remember, which I hated, was this small hollow wax* bottle shaped thing filled with what I'm guessing was various fruit flavored floor cleaners or chemical stripping agents... they called it "juice", but even the most artificial Kool-Aid flavors weren't that horrible... seriously awful...

On Halloween my friends were talking about candies you don't really see anymore and that was one we were all like "yeah, and for good reason" (you had to bite through the wax and the wax would stick to your teeth, the stuff tasted like radioactive waste, if you left it anywhere warm it would glue/melt to whatever it was on, etc)... but wouldn't you know it, the next day I saw one in the candy/impulse purchase shelf next to a cash register... $1.99 for five horrible little finger size wax bottles of nostalgia to remind you "the good old days" actually sucked a lot more than your stupid memory reconfigured them to. 
    I'm sure someone out there liked those, no corporation would continue to make something people hate and that's probably bad, if not toxic, and I'm sorry if I'm poo-pooing on something you enjoy... I'm no great judge of snacking standards, I enjoy eating dried squid jerky that's probably harvested from polluted waters (the plutonium gives it a "kick") using squid that fed exclusively off rotting whale carcasses, it's just that stuff was pretty bad and now it's forty cents apiece to remember how bad our decision making was as children.

*Not normal "wax" this was somewhere between soft medieval candle and the stuff on rodent glue traps that the mice get stuck to.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098

Sfariah said:

Was a penny candy ever a penny?  I know that type of candy isn't available for a penny anywhere anymore.

Yes, it was.  When I was young, I used to stop by the corner variety store every day after school and buy some candy.  There were white chocolate cowboy themed candies: boots, hats, sheriff's star, six shooter.  Mini Tootsie Rolls, Red Hots (cinnamon chewable candies), a little box of Boston Baked Beans (peanuts with a hard candy coating), Squirrel Nuts, Mary Janes, coconut in two shapes: watermelon half slice, rectangle with brown pink and white stripes, Sixlets (like M&Ms only spherical, six of them in a sleeve), flying saucers (a wafer like stuff shaped like a UFO flying saucer, with little beads of candy inside), Pirates gold coins (chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil), and many others.  Some would be two pieces for a penny.  Then there were Ice Cubes (thick chocolate that was cool as it melted in your mouth) wrapped in foil - still sold today, but they used to be 3 cents each.  Full sized chocolate bars were usually 3 cents or five cents.  Including things like Zero Bars.  And Sugar Daddy, and Sugar Babies...all for five cents each.

There is a store in No. Conway, NH, that sells a lot of these penny candies.  Jeb's General Store.

Dana

Oh, I forgot Fire Balls!  I loved those!  Still available, though in large containers of them.

Dana

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,355
    edited November 2022

DanaTA said:

Sfariah said:

Yes, it was.  When I was young, I used to stop by the corner variety store every day after school and buy some candy.  There were white chocolate cowboy themed candies: boots, hats, sheriff's star, six shooter.  Mini Tootsie Rolls, Red Hots (cinnamon chewable candies), a little box of Boston Baked Beans (peanuts with a hard candy coating), Squirrel Nuts, Mary Janes, coconut in two shapes: watermelon half slice, rectangle with brown pink and white stripes, Sixlets (like M&Ms only spherical, six of them in a sleeve), flying saucers (a wafer like stuff shaped like a UFO flying saucer, with little beads of candy inside), Pirates gold coins (chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil), and many others.  Some would be two pieces for a penny.  Then there were Ice Cubes (thick chocolate that was cool as it melted in your mouth) wrapped in foil - still sold today, but they used to be 3 cents each.  Full sized chocolate bars were usually 3 cents or five cents.  Including things like Zero Bars.  And Sugar Daddy, and Sugar Babies...all for five cents each.

There is a store in No. Conway, NH, that sells a lot of these penny candies.  Jeb's General Store.

Dana

Are they still a penny?  laugh

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

And, and...remember Lik-Um-Aid?  A straw, filled with colored sugar!  laugh

Dana

• DanaTA said:

Dana

Or little wax figures filled with colored flavored sugar ? 

Charlie Judge said:

DanaTA said:

Sfariah said:

Dana

Are they still a penny?  laugh

Sadly, no, but inexpensive.  They are usually sold in quantities, by the pound, or in pre made bags/packages.  It's just cool to see these things still around.  They do mail order, too.  We go there every year when on vacation.  https://www.zebs.com/penny-candy/ 

Dana

edited November 2022

Yep, I remember the wax bottles with the sweetish mystery liquid inside.  I used to chew the wax.  Similar to those wax vampire teeth that used to be sold around Halloween time.  The wax was sort of like the texture of beeswax.indecision

So many things to remember about the "old" days of the 1950s.smiley  But when I analyse the situation, my current reminisences about the '50s are almost 70 years old and would be comparble to myself as a boy in the 1950s hearing tales of the 1880s.  And I did hear tales of the 1880s.surprise  My great-grandparents and great uncles told stories.  My great-grandfather's family packed camping gear and 4 people into a model-T Ford and drove 1400 miles from near Buffalo, NY to Miami, Florida around 1920 to visit the oldest daughter who had moved there after marriage.  They travelled mostly on dirt roads and camped every night.  Then in 1960 the youngest sister, who was still living in NY, returned to Miami to visit the older sister again, but this time had been gifted a ticket and flew on a Constellation airplane (the one with four propellers & three rudders).  Half day trip instead of a half month.  Big change in her lifetime.yes

Constellation.jpg
    612 x 486 - 45K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,156

Great airplane, seen it a lot when going to the Zurich airport, which was not far off and remember them flying over the house. They came from SO far away - from America that I knew from looking at the world map.

LeatherGryphon said:

Yep, I remember the wax bottles with the sweetish mystery liquid inside.  I used to chew the wax.  Similar to those wax vampire teeth that used to be sold around Halloween time.  The wax was sort of like the texture of beeswax.indecision

So many things to remember about the "old" days of the 1950s.smiley  But when I analyse the situation, my current reminisences about the '50s are almost 70 years old and would be comparble to myself as a boy in the 1950s hearing tales of the 1880s.  And I did hear tales of the 1880s.surprise  My great-grandparents and great uncles told stories.  My grandfather's family packed camping gear and 4 people into a model-T Ford and drove 1400 miles from near Buffalo, NY to Miami, Florida in the '20s to visit the oldest daughter who had moved there after marriage.  They travelled mostly on dirt roads and camped every night.  Then in 1960 the youngest sister, who was still living in NY, returned to Miami to visit the older sister again, but this time had been gifted a ticket and flew on a Constellation airplane (the one with four propellers & three rudders).  Half day trip instead of a half month.  Big change in her lifetime.yes

"But when I analyse the situation, my current reminisences about the '50s are almost 70 years old and would be comparble to myself as a boy in the 1950s hearing tales of the 1880s."...

I love that comparison, and it's so true... my step grandfather was born in a little town outside Rio de Janerio in 1902 and came to the US during WW1 as a kid, his older brother told us how a German submarine stopped the ship in the Atlantic to check it for weapons... They used to talk about how when they first heard about airplanes they thought it wasn't a real thing and how amazing it was to see an automobile for the first time... when they arrived in New York City at that time, it was still full of horse carts, but cars were already all over the place, with actual traffic jams already becoming a thing. 
    The camp I went to as a little kid was owned by a woman who was in her 90s and was a small child when her family traveled by covered wagon across the prairie to a town her relatives settled earlier... her stories were very interesting.

My biological father (as opposed to step-dad, not a cyborg dad) actually had an opportunity to fly a military version of the Constellation (C-121?) halfway across the Atlantic when he was in the Navy... I showed my kids the same aircraft at the Smithsonian and they were only mildly interested... I used to think it was such a cool thing though.

Their kids will probably be equally unimpressed by their tales about their first low orbital flight to Europe or something.

LeatherGryphon said:

I remember those, though I preferred the wax pan flutes.  Which actually worked, until you started to chew them!  They had an orange flavor, and were orange in color.

Dana

Was there ever candy that looked like cigarettes?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,256

There were candy cigarettes that were tubular sticks of gum that, if memory serves, had powdered sugar on them that would puff out like smoke if you exhaled.

Gordig said:

There were candy cigarettes that were tubular sticks of gum that, if memory serves, had powdered sugar on them that would puff out like smoke if you exhaled.

Yup... I'd do a Humphrey Bogart imitation with those... I was such a dysfunctional child.

There were also those weird thin hard chalky ones with the red colored ends that tasted like a combination of plaster, toothpaste and gum wrapper dust.

Those were probably more toxic than actual cigarettes.

edited November 2022

I remember candy cigarettes that were made of compressed sugar of some sort.  White with a little dab of red coloring on the "fire" end.  Sold in a small pack of maybe 20 or so?  They were small, more slender than a real cigarette, about 3 mm in diameter.  Often the "cigarettes" would not separate properly out of the mold before being boxed and you'd have three or four of them bonded next to each other.

What Genesis 8 items work with Genesis 9?

LeatherGryphon said:

I remember candy cigarettes that were made of compressed sugar of some sort.  White with a little dab of red coloring on the "fire" end.  Sold in a small pack of maybe 20 or so?  They were small, more slender than a real cigarette, about 3 mm in diameter.  Often the "cigarettes" would not separate properly out of the mold before being boxed and you'd have three or four of them bonded next to each other.

Thats the ones... they had a very odd taste too.

Complaint: People who make tutorials who haven't actually tested the process, technique or prepared before making the video...

Especially frustrating when there is only that video about a feature that is listed buy the maker of the program, but you can find no other useful information about what it is like or how it works... in this case I was looking for information on UV unwrapping in ArmorPaint...

Finally found a video that lists UV unwrapping but most of it is this...

"Ok, so now we take the model... in this case from turbosquid... let's see... where is it... T...ur... Bo... squid... it's squid... right?... okay so now we search for "free table"... that's not it... hold on... maybe... no... I was sure it was... okay... we'll use this sofa... it's basically the same... okay so we (takes you through the process of downloading and unzipping a file)... uh... hmmm... it's missing one of the obj files... okay... let's find something else... (five minutes later)... okay... so now we have your model... and we can unwrap it (does something on the screen without explaining much) so that's how you unwrap... you can do it different, but we'll cover more on that later..."

Tick-Tock-tick-tick the video starts winding to a close, still no "covering that later"... in fact he added three other things he was going to "cover later in the video" but didn't... the video ended without explaining much more than seemingly that ArmorPaint does do some form of autounwrappping, but is there control of map size, what are the features?... nope... click, click click-nothing... ugh... my guess is it seems to be more refined version of how SketchUp's paint bucket tool works in that it applies an image (or image based PBR material with different channels like normal maps, AO, glossiness etc) to the auto unwrapped mesh and maybe you can somehow specify the tiling size?... who knows... I'm just basing that guess on questions without answers and other comments in the comment area.

Twenty minutes of time I'm never getting back... very misleading because the last comments visible are all thanking the video creator making it seem useful.

Ugh.

If they ever remake the movie "Airplane" they need to do a bit where someone is trying to land the damn plane using a YouTube video and this guy is walking them through it... with the "later in video", commercials and losing focus and it ending with "well that's it, remember to like this video and subscribe if you enjoyed it... I'll probably cover deploying the landing gear in another future video... maybe...  till then... Bye Folks!!"

Desperate Stewardess Trying To Land Plane: "What!?... THATS IT?!... Check for the other one..."

Desperate Passenger Helping To Land Plane: "Nope... it was three years ago... they never made another one... he did one on fixing a lawnmower two months after..."

Desperate Stewardess Trying To Land Plane: "God, I hope he at least died, who doesn't follow up on something like that!?!"

edited November 2022

There was also a candy called lipstick.  It was red (of course), and had an odd texture, a little soft, partially wrapped in a gold foil paper.  I liked the taste, I think it was sort of cherry flavored, but also had an odd chalky texture.  I'd buy it often.  Last time I saw it was in the 1980s.

Found an image.

Dana

candy lipstick.jpg
    500 x 382 - 46K
    Post edited by DanaTA on

DanaTA said:

Dana

..wasn't that Pixy Stix?  I rmemeber Lik•M•Aid came in a small flat package like KoolAid.  

Ah yes the old days.

Not just Atomic Fireballs but Jawbreakers (same but in different  flavours), Candy Raisins (which were 4 for a penny), Red Hot Dollars (which were two for a penny), good ol' Bazooka Bubble Gum, Liquorice records (a flat piece of Liquorice wound around a small hard candy centre that formed a disk), Cinnamon Bears (2 for a penny), Smarties, Liquorice "Snaps" (candy coated hollow liquorice lengths which were 2¢ a box), the aforementioned Ice Cubes, individual Red and Black Vines, and much more. 

Now y'all have me reminiscing about the shelves of penny candy behind the counter at the old corner grocery store our family used to shop at in the days before mega super marts, and where I'd hang out at after finishing my paper route.

THink I'm getting a sugar rush  from all this.

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

I remember those, though I preferred the wax pan flutes.  Which actually worked, until you started to chew them!  They had an orange flavor, and were orange in color.

Dana

..they were called Wowee Whistles 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,256

Simultaneous complaint and non-complaint that borders on humblebrag: I keep learning more and making improvements to my animation project which require me to continually re-render shots.

Here's the first frame of the first shot as I rendered it out a mere three months ago:

And here's the version that I'm rendering now:

edited November 2022

Horo said:

Great airplane, seen it a lot when going to the Zurich airport, which was not far off and remember them flying over the house. They came from SO far away - from America that I knew from looking at the world map.

..yes we used to have them flying out of Milwaukee's ariport for old Capital Airlines (which merged with United in the early 60s), and for a few years on Northwest. The last time I saw one that was still doing scheduled passenger flights was at LaGuardia airport for the Eastern ih the late 60s a year before they were retired.   The most beautiful and stylish passenger aeroplane ever built..

Here's an old pic of one for Capital at the "hometown" airport. 

The sleekest of course was the 1649 Super G which TWA trademarked as the "Jetstream"

Lockheed experimented with fitting turboprops to a C-121 (miltary designation) to extend service life, referring to it as the 1249 Super Constellation, but the impending jet age put that to rest.   Only 6 were built and saw service, all for the military, with 4 going to the the Navy and 2 to the Air Force. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

I broke down and bought a dress that includes Genesis 9 and also Genesis 8/8.1.   I got it last night and got it installed.  Then went to bed as I was tired.

Yeah, Kyoto Kid, those were the ones!  Such memories!  They must have made a lot of money on those Pixy Stix!  It was just flavored sugar in a straw!  No wonder I grew up with such a sweet tooth!  (and later, not so sweet teeth)

Dana

I hope to go home for thanksgiving so I got a canned salmon dinner.  It isn't for me though as I don't like salmon.  Also it looks just like cat food.

006675E6-F908-4C82-ADB5-DBB26C4F6CDA.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
This discussion has been closed.