The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728
    edited November 2022

I thought of going back to Windows 10, but I couldn't find anyway to keep all my files and software already installed.  Also I don't want to get back into the habbit of reformating my computer every other month.  I need to learn how to trouble shoot it without going extreme measures.

edit: I want to install Bryce again.  I also have too many chrome windows open (translate more than one.  Actually 4 or 5 windows open!)

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

I've been helping my Mum get on top of her "admin". She hasn't been well for a few weeks (suspected Covid - she wouldn't do a test). She's coming out of the other side it now though. 

Everything got lax while she was out of it. I'm trying to help her get back to normal. But I've got to put more effort into helping her, because my father won't. His attitude stinks. He doesn't do anything to help her out. I do what I can instead, but Mum thinks that I'm making life too easy for him. When, in truth, I do things for my Mum, and not for him. 

Oh well, back to admin. Hopefully I can get everything sorted tonight. 

I bought my first ever "Black Friday" item this evening. Although it'll probably be cheaper on the actual day. ^^'

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092

Sfariah said:

I thought of going back to Windows 10, but I couldn't find anyway to keep all my files and software already installed.  Also I don't want to get back into the habbit of reformating my computer every other month.  I need to learn how to trouble shoot it without going extreme measures.

edit: I want to install Bryce again.  I also have too many chrome windows open (translate more than one.  Actually 4 or 5 windows open!)

I usually have two or three tabs open in Chrome.  When I'm doing shopping here at DAZ3D, I open another for the store, another for my account - opened to My Library, and sometimes one opened to my Wishlist.  That way I can find what I want that may be on sale, or when I'm using the DAZ+ coupon(s).  Sometimes I look up an item that is interesting and find out I already have it!    blush

I wonder if Bryce will install on Windows 11.  Or even Windows 10.  It's pretty old.

Dana 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Bryce 7.1 installs and runs fine on Win 11.

So far it seems that it works in Windows 11.  It wants a serial number.  I thought of making it up, but decided to look it up.    Why is it called a serial number when it has a bunch of letters in it?

I did a quick render in Bryce.  It is a lone tree in a flooded area.  I don't know what I am doing basically.

Lonetreeinflood.jpg
    1754 x 867 - 180K
  • Sfariah said:

So far it seems that it works in Windows 11.  It wants a serial number.  I thought of making it up, but decided to look it up.    Why is it called a serial number when it has a bunch of letters in it?

It's not decimal and it's not base 16(hexadecimal 0-9 & A-F), Think of it like a very large numberbase.indecision

Either that or it all works out when you pour the milk on it.devil

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited November 2022

Complaint:  Arghhhh..., of course after announcing that I'm not going to break down and buy a new cell phone just yet, things go wonky.sad  After charging my phone yesterday, I checked it this morning and it was at 4% and screaming to be put to sleep and recharged.  This phone's battery has passed it's eat-by date, and is not user replaceable.crying   On the Inernet I found a place that has the tools to replace the battery in a "Moto G7 Optimo" but decided against it for now.  I'd have to ship my phone to them at a cost of about half a new phone, and I can't be without a phone for a week.frown  Ghaaaa... what has this world done to us?angry

So, I'm just going to keep it charged as best as possible until I replace it.  And to that end, I have just ordered from TracFone, a new (not reconditioned) "Moto G Stylus 2022". The phone itself is a bit bigger than the Optimo, so I need to also order a new rubber case and perhaps a bigger micro SD card for extra storage.  I ordered the new phone from from TracFone, the cost was $99 plus shipping and I opted for the 1-day shipping of $4.95.  My number and all my old accumulated minutes and data plans will be transfered to the new phone.  Yeah, I didn't want to spend for a new phone right now, but I NEED my phone, the old battery is on its deathbed.sad 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,020

The mention of Bryce made me think of Chohole. 

My 3D work began with Poser and Bryce when they were both products of MetaCreations.

That led to me finding the Bryce community at Rendo where Chohole was. As Bryce was later purchased by DAZ, I came here and found that Chohole was an Admin in the Commons and reconnected.

I miss Chohole.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...+1

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah said:

It's not decimal and it's not base 16(hexadecimal 0-9 & A-F), Think of it like a very large numberbase.indecision

....in the latter just make sure you use it as soon as possible, for if it sits around for any length of time, it will get all soggy and may not work.

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah said:

....in the latter just make sure you use it as soon as possible, for if it sits around for any length of time, it will get all soggy and may not work.

I get it now!  I consider myself a cereal killer.  I need more cereal though. 

• TJohn said:

The mention of Bryce made me think of Chohole. 

My 3D work began with Poser and Bryce when they were both products of MetaCreations.

That led to me finding the Bryce community at Rendo where Chohole was. As Bryce was later purchased by DAZ, I came here and found that Chohole was an Admin in the Commons and reconnected.

I miss Chohole.

Yep, Bryce, an early Bryce, pre-2000.  I made lots of little islands.  I have almost the most recent version but haven't installed it in years. 

Yep, I miss Chohole too. 

• Non-complaint:  Wheee..., a mini-adventure.  Got an invitation to Thansgiving dinner,yes and then then I mentioned that I needed to do laundry, and she gave me a ride to the laundromat and picked me up on her way back from her doctor's appointment.  So, that's done again.  Yay.indecision  And then she continued on to the Indian Reservation to buy cheap gasoline, and while there I popped into the "smoke house" to stock up on some smokable for the long winter nights approaching   And she stopped at my local grocery so I could pick up a few bulky items like a bag of potatoes.smiley  Some useful chores accomplished today.  Yay!

I am tired but it is too early to go to bed.  I ordered a poster.  When I got home with it, I noticed they forgot to cut it.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

And things were starting to look better.... My Mum's in hospital. Exhaustion. I'm so lost. Who knows how long she's going to be in there. I'm just scared that I'm not going to see her again. crying

N-RArts said:

And things were starting to look better.... My Mum's in hospital. Exhaustion. I'm so lost. Who knows how long she's going to be in there. I'm just scared that I'm not going to see her again. crying

I hope your mum gets better soon and continue to get better. 

edited November 2022

Complaint:  Arghhh..., I realized today that I received no email or paperwork from TracFone about my new phone order.  So, I called their help desk to determine the status of my order and they couldn't help me without an order number.  Which exists on none of the emails I received from PayPal.frown  I did receive a receipt from PayPal indicating that they've transfered money from my account to TracFone, but TracFone can't find my order.  The help desk created a ticket number and has promised to call back by 2:30 this afternoon (eastern time).  Grrr... sand in the wheels of progress.angry  And my phone continues to suck the life out the weak battery with wild abandon.  I charged it at 7:30 this morning and already(12:45) it's down to 57%surprisesad

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh..., I realized today that I received no email or paperwork from TracFone about my new phone order.  So, I called their help desk to determine the status of my order and they couldn't help me without an order number.  Which exists on none of the emails I received from PayPal.frown  I did receive a receipt from PayPal indicating that they've transfered money from my account to TracFone, but TracFone can't find my order.  The help desk created a ticket number and has promised to call back by 2:30 this afternoon (eastern time).  Grrr... sand in the wheels of progress.angry  And my phone continues to suck the life out the weak battery with wild abandon.  I charged it at 7:30 this morning and already(12:45) it's down to 57%surprisesad

You might want to think about getting one of those battery power backups.  You charge it and then you can use it to charge your phone or other mobile device even if you're not near a wall outlet.  It will power it while you're using it.  That way you can carry it around the house with you.  

Dana 

edited November 2022

Or just carry a cat and rub its fur and stick the USB cable into it's...,  um, ear.  Yeah, ear.  That's the ticket, ... ear.devil

edited November 2022

Complaint:  3:00 PM.  As expected TracFone did NOT call back at 2:30 to report on the status of my new phone order.frown

Non-complaint:  3:05 PM  Wheee...  UPS just delivered my new phone.surpriseyes  

So, now the question is, when I go to activate my new phone will they have my purchase records properly in their database because there is still no indication on their website that I have made this purchase.  Or will I have to again, chat for an hour with a helpdesk person. (*Sigh*)no  But for now I'll open my late self-birthday present and enjoy some geekish fun reading manuals, and playing with a new gizmo.  Wheee...smiley

• LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  3:00 PM.  As expected TracFone did NOT call back at 2:30 to report on the status of my new phone order.frown

Non-complaint:  3:05 PM  Wheee...  UPS just delivered my new phone.surpriseyes  

So, now the question is, when I go to activate my new phone will they have my purchase records properly in their database because there is still no indication on their website that I have made this purchase.  Or will I have to again, chat for an hour with a helpdesk person. (*Sigh*)no  But for now I'll open my late self-birthday present and enjoy some geekish fun reading manuals, and playing with a new gizmo.  Wheee...smiley

You are expecting a manual? If you are lucky there may be a quick start guide, plus a link to their website.

edited November 2022

Correct, there is a Quick start guide and a don't go swimming with it, don't hammer nails with it, warning and a page of a zillion tech agencies icons indicating something presumably good.  And also, lo and behold, there is a manual, a 50 page manual in two languages.  One of which is conveniently English.yes  Its cover says "About Your Phone - Advanced Features --- Discover, Use, Enjoy".  Of course the 50 page manual (100 pages for two languages) is only 4.5 x 4 inches, but it is, inconveniently, in 6 point font and there's no microscope in the box.frown

• LeatherGryphon said:

snip

Of course the 50 page manual (100 pages for two languages) is only 4.5 x 4 inches, but it is, inconveniently, in 6 point font and there's no microscope in the box.frown

you could use your phone camera to read it, oh wait... 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,453
    edited November 2022

my keyboard silenced on the DAZ forums. Complaints or sarcastic humor no more. 22 Novemeber 2022 1556

2253.jpg
    300 x 338 - 40K
    Post edited by daveso on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,453
    edited November 2022

delete

Post edited by daveso on

I'm missing some big detail?

• I'm not liking this cold weather at all...

Just now I've repositioned my monitor so the warm air from games and DS renders blows my way. laugh

....get a 4090 and you won't need to worry about a heating bill 

edited November 2022

...non complaant.

Well that was a nice deal, still had the DO "Fiver" coupon from the Orange banner and wondered what to use it on, then saw a 3.99$ black Friday Flash sale on Ironman13's store (all DO's). So picked up the Pizzeria, Cinema, and Library bundles (as I still primarily use G3 so the poses all work) for just under 6$ (over a 82$ value for Daz+ members 117$ full price)

Not bad  (I also still have my 5$ survey credit).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
This discussion has been closed.