The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited November 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Wheee... The Metro in Washington DC, now runs all the way to Dulles Airport about 30 miles northwest of DC.  I used to live in Reston, VA which is about half way along the route to the airport, but back then the Metro didn't come out that far.sad  They were talking about extending the Metro to the airport 30 years ago, but it's finally happened.  yes

Complaint:  I don't live in Reston or DC anymore and have no reasons to fly to DC anymore either.  So, no airport Metro trips in my future.frown 

...that's a bit of a walk to the actual terminal almost could have a seconday tram for that. 

The Dulles terminal was designed by architect Eero Saarinen who also designed these three iconic strcutures I am familiar with (the second one in my old hometown):

Interior 

West facade:

At the top:

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092

takezo_3001 said:

Nah, I don't long for a time that only exists in memory, I'd rather focus on today and tomorrow!

Concentrate on today.  Tomorrow never comes.  It's one minute after midnight...is it tomorrow?  No, it's today.  It's always today!

Dana 

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,940

DanaTA said:

Concentrate on today.  Tomorrow never comes.  It's one minute after midnight...is it tomorrow?  No, it's today.  It's always today!

Dana 

Well put! It truly is always today! 

Happy Birthday, LeatherGryphon!

Dana

edited November 2022

...Oh yes I remember him saying something about that the other day, sooooo....

...thinking about leather and chrome:

clickee for full size.

Happy BDay LG.jpg
    1800 x 675 - 867K
  • (*Blush!*) Shucks folks, I'm speechless.blush 

• Happy Birthaday LeatherGryphon. I hope you have a great day. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited November 2022

Complaint:  Oh poop!  I've discovered what I need to buy myself for my birthday.  A new cell phone.sad

Like many in this modern world, because of the 2nd level security checks, I've gotten caught up in the "I have to have a cell phone in order to unlock my bank accounts and bill paying services" situation.frown  And as someone here so recently remarked, or implied, "nothing lasts forever".  My cell phone is now over two years old and the Li-battery is getting quite noticeably weaker and not lasting more than about a day.  I'm scared of Li-batteries because of the fire hazard (especially when old).  I set mine on a metal cookie tin lid when at home.  Worst thing I can think of is my phone bursting into flame during the night.crying

Unfortunately, my phone is of the cheap persuasion and being thoroughly modern, does not have a user replaceable battery.angry   Anybody here have any suggestions other than buying a new (used) phone?  indecision  I'm looking in the price range between $100 and $150.

My current phone is an  Android (G4) technology from Motorola.  I'm very happy with my TracFone Motorola "G7 Optimo",  with fingerprint reader and front & back cameras.  It's all I need.  I've been looking at some Samsung phones in the TracFone catalog, but it's hard to find a phone for a reasonable price that still has a replaceable battery.  Any suggestions?

I also see little advantage to buying an over expensive new phone instead of a much cheaper "reconditioned" phone, like possible from TracFone.  Not quite sure what "reconditioned" means, do they just rebox it or do they have the tools to replace batteries before reboxing?  My current phone is a reconditioned one from TracFone and I was happy with it, until the battery started oofing out.  I called their service desk and asked about what "reconditions" means, but got a wimpy answer so I still don't know.  I suspect not not what I would like.no  So, I'm probably taking a risk getting a few year old, last generation, phone with a limp battery that can't be replaced.  Boy, have they got this game rigged.angry

Perhaps I should just find a cave in the woods, kick out the bear, and move in.wink

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Late to the thfread, so - HAppy Birthday LG!

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2022

Happy Birthdy LG !!

oh, and about the phone issues ,that's why I've gone with Cricket phone service ,no contract ,unlimited calling and text ,49.00 a month ,and I've never paid more than 50.00 for a phone replacement ,theres Cricket , Mint ,and a couple of others out there .

Post edited by carrie58 on

My wife and I are with Consumer Cellular.  Two lines, unlimited calls and text and 15GB data...which we've never come close to using...two lines for around $54/month, including taxes and surcharges and such, with a 10% discount as members of AARP.

Dana

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

Happy birthday to LG!!!!

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2022

The poop really hit the fan yesterday. I'm so mad. angry I'm hoping that I've sorted the problem. But if the past 24 hours are anything to go by... Well, I won't be holding my breath. 

I'm shivering, and I have the biggest stress headache ever. crying

Wake me up when it's Christmas. 

Happy Birthday, LeatherGryphon yes

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

Welp! I'm glad that I didn't hold my breath... GRRRRRRRR!!!! angry

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Happy birthday, LeatherGryphon.

edited November 2022

DanaTA said:

My wife and I are with Consumer Cellular.  Two lines, unlimited calls and text and 15GB data...which we've never come close to using...two lines for around $54/month, including taxes and surcharges and such, with a 10% discount as members of AARP.

Dana

...same here, single line 44$ a month with 15G Data.

• kyoto kid said:

DanaTA said:

Dana

...same here, single line 44$ a month with 15G Data.

I have Republic Wireless, two lines unlimited data for $29.99 per line ($59.98 total). 

edited November 2022

..don't think they are in my area. It also would likely rewquire a new unlokced phone.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,345
    edited November 2022

kyoto kid said:

..don't think they are in my area. It also would likely rewquire a new unlokced phone.

They use the T-mobile network so they are probably in your area. However, you might need a new phone. Since they were purchased by DISH network the low rate has been restricted to DISH customers and previous Republic subscribers. We are grandfathered in as a previous Republic customer.

Spectrum is offering a similar plan for their cable subscribers. 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

..I don't have Dish as I don't have a television.   Haven't had Spectrum either, just Stephouse (a local fixed WWAN) and Xfinity/Comcast. 

Having to purchase a new phone when I have a fairly up to date one that works just fine would be a wasted expense for me..

• beregarberegar Posts: 269

Complaint: I've found that the older I get the easier it is for me to feel insulted over things that (likely) weren't even meant as such. The same applies for things that are not right(tm) in my opinion. It used to be easy for me to shrug off other people's opinions and make compromises but now I get all huffy and puffy and/or sulky if things don't go my way, or if someone disagrees with/questions something I say. Doesn't help that I'm more impatient than ever... things just can't happen fast enough, damn it!

I mean I've heard from older family members and my older colleagues that the older you get the less you care about other people's opinions because the insecuries of the youth are long gone but at the same time you become more content to let things be. Why does it work in reverse for me? 

edited November 2022

I think there's a phase where one has grasped enough wisdom to believe one has determined the "right" way to think and do things.  Certainly I've been there (and I still visit it too frequentlyblush).  But later one realizes that there is a big world out there and the "right" thing depends on a situation that one may not be aware of.indecision 

What it comes down to is that just a very few rules apply universally and the core teachings of most decent religions have outlined them.  Unfortunately, some of the rules were formulated thousands of years ago for situations that have changed.  But the biggies like do not kill, do not theive, do not assault, do not lie, and treat others like you would like to be treated, are pretty much universal.yes

Also, as the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel becomes clearer and approaches, your priorities are quite likely to change.indecision  In the grand scheme of things, nothing made of matter matters.  And you realize that thoughts are vaporware that often create self perpetuating worlds of their own that one can get tangled in.  The trick is to stay in this world and not get caught up in the mental minefield of unrealities, and perceived slights.  And certainly don't propagate them.  (I still fail at this too often.blushBut I'm getting better.)

I suspect that If one realizes that the light at the end of tunnel is a train but still finds oneself criticizing others, then there's still time to ponder fundamental realities.  Being on one's deathbed raging at the world isn't a pretty vision.no

edited November 2022

Non-complaint:  I think we dodged a bullet here.  Woke up this morning to an additional 3 or 4 inches of snow on top of the 8 from yesterday.  But 30 miles west or northwest of here the story's more ugly.  And about 45 miles north of here (5 or 10 miles south of Buffalo) there are places that got 6 feet and it's still snowing.surprise

I'd thought of toddling up to the grocery store for milk and salad stuff but it's snowing and blowing and cold.  I think I'll just have another cookie, and cup of hot chocolate, turn on the boob tube and veg out until afternoon, when I can justify finishing off that bottle of Champagne I opened yesterday, while eating my birthday shrimp and artichoke hearts.  Wheee..., I'm 74 officially now.smiley  And despite the temptation and ability, I have not yet decided to purchase a new cell phone.  This one will probably last another few months.  I need to stop spending and let my cash reserves repopulate.enlightened

And thanks for the birthday cheers.smileyheart

edited November 2022

I'm about to watch Fox after I wash my lunch dish.  For some reason, I'm thinking of football.  I'm watching some panthers in Maryland, I think?

Post edited by Sfariah D on

hmmm, Do I have Zbrush installed?  or is BLender better for making Genesis 9 content?

...complaint: two Bad Gateway errors before I could even get on the forums today.

I found my artificial tears.  It should lubricant my dry eyes.  However the print size of the instructions is a tad on the small size.  I think it says "install 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed."  I don't see any instructions on how to install it into my eyes.  Not even sure if install is the right word.

When do I see my eye doctor next? oh March!

...artificial tears, are those similar to crocodile tears?

kyoto kid said:

I don't think so?  I took the bottle out of the box and the text size on that is smaller and harder to read. 

Sfariah said:

kyoto kid said:

I don't think so?  I took the bottle out of the box and the text size on that is smaller and harder to read. 

Use your smartphone.  Zoom in!

Dana 

This discussion has been closed.