Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• Yes, that is nice. Always a sucker for scenery.

Regards,

Richard.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,064

richardandtracy said:

Hmm.

Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder. I'm not sure I could entirely agree with you on those, Mary, but I can see why you think they're really good. I have V9, and facially I think she looks stunning. But with her & most of the others I feel they're lacking a little definition on the arms, shoulders, thighs, calves & knees. As if the musculature definition hasn't been sculpted, or the hard boney bits being defined (like the elbow bones, wrist lumps, general bone knobles, hip bone lumps and knee cap edges). Can't really put my finger on it, but I feel as if MSO Fate is getting there, as if Mousso has learnt the tricks needed to work with the new model and is starting to be able to define these items that aren't defined so confidently in some of the other characters.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard, the bodies are what is slowing down my purchases of G9. At this point in G8 and G8.1 I had gone crazy with buying, but with G9 I am holding back, buying more selectively, hoping a PA will come out with the product(s) needed to fix the 'Barbie/Ken' doll aspect of G9. But as I don't render nudes or skimpy wear, it is not a killer also. Another thing right now slowing my purchases is the sheer number of characters I have not reinstalled into my computers. It makes me realize how many similar characters I have that other than the initial test render I have never used again, and which ones I gravitate to when I pull a render together. And they are often not the pretty-pretty ones, but ones with character.

I have found that many of the outfits for previous generations work fine on G9, so I am not too upset for the lack of modern realistic clothing for G9, but I would welcome it. 

Same for poses, morph packs, props, sets, and whatever. But I still collect shader sets, can't seem to stop. I think it is the quilter/fabric hoarder in me! A garage full of fabric and books.

Mary

• I know I'm a day late appreciating an item released yesterday, but The Magic Room is simply amazing. The modelling, detail & textures make it an absolute tour-de-force.

Regards,

Richard

• richardandtracy said:

I know I'm a day late appreciating an item released yesterday, but The Magic Room is simply amazing. The modelling, detail & textures make it an absolute tour-de-force.

Regards,

Richard

Now we just need someone to make this guy and we'll have a complete set  

remus-lupin-prisoner-of-azkaban-portrait.jpg
    1100 x 1315 - 148K
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,569
    edited April 2023

wink

There has to be a look-alike somewhere...

Regards,

Richard

Reason for edit: It seems I can't even spell my own name anymore...!

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,727

I really like the new Esha clothing set from today, https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-legend-outfit-for-genesis-9. It looks versatile and well-made, as usual from this vendor. But gee, everything is sooo expensive! I'm wondering why really, since we're being told by vendors that it's a lot easier and faster to create for G9 than it was for G8. But anyways, the set seems very nice. I just can't make up my mind if I want it bad enough today despite the price.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,401

tsroemi said:

I really like the new Esha clothing set from today, https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-legend-outfit-for-genesis-9. It looks versatile and well-made, as usual from this vendor. But gee, everything is sooo expensive! I'm wondering why really, since we're being told by vendors that it's a lot easier and faster to create for G9 than it was for G8. But anyways, the set seems very nice. I just can't make up my mind if I want it bad enough today despite the price.

I highly suggest you read Sickleyield's blog at DeviantArt to learn the economics of making thes products.  They generally require hours and hours of work to sell just hundreds of copies.  The ease of production makes it easier for artists to make products faster but it doesn't make their computer investments, mortgages, food, insurance, healthcare any cheaper.   

edited April 2023

nemesis10 said:

tsroemi said:

I highly suggest you read Sickleyield's blog at DeviantArt to learn the economics of making thes products.  They generally require hours and hours of work to sell just hundreds of copies.  The ease of production makes it easier for artists to make products faster but it doesn't make their computer investments, mortgages, food, insurance, healthcare any cheaper.   

I didn't mean to be controversial with this, I was a 3d vendor once myself, here and at Rendo (like, a life time ago ;-)). I know it's work. But prices have picked up with G9, and I would have expected them, from what everyone's saying, to stay at the same level at least, not go up. Because if you work faster, you produce more, and you also get to sell more. But I'm not seeing that reflected, and stuff is getting too expensive for me fast. And I have a middling income. Maybe it's just because it's the new flagship figure? Don't know much about the marketing side of things.

Still pondering whether to get the Esha outfit ... 

Edit: I was being unfair involuntarily, I checked with older stuff in my library, and things had started to get noticeably more expensive way before G9. Sorry for that!

Post edited by tsroemi on

tsroemi said:

nemesis10 said:

tsroemi said:

I didn't mean to be controversial with this, I was a 3d vendor once myself, here and at Rendo (like, a life time ago ;-)). I know it's work. But prices have picked up with G9, and I would have expected them, from what everyone's saying, to stay at the same level at least, not go up. Because if you work faster, you produce more, and you also get to sell more. But I'm not seeing that reflected, and stuff is getting too expensive for me fast. And I have a middling income. Maybe it's just because it's the new flagship figure? Don't know much about the marketing side of things.

Edit: I was being unfair involuntarily, I checked with older stuff in my library, and things had started to get noticeably more expensive way before G9. Sorry for that!

I don't blame you for financial carefulness.  I do think Daz3d is stuck in that bind that if you hold down prices too long, you run the risk of becoming financially insolvent (so many 3d stores have died) and customers become used to the "perpetual sale" even when it doesn't hake financial sense.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,680
    edited April 2023

nemesis10 said:

tsroemi said:

nemesis10 said:

tsroemi said:

I don't blame you for financial carefulness.  I do think Daz3d is stuck in that bind that if you hold down prices too long, you run the risk of becoming financially insolvent (so many 3d stores have died) and customers become used to the "perpetual sale" even when it doesn't hake financial sense.

I disagree. And we may have to agree to disagree. But here's how I see it. We, who create, are artists. Writers are artists. Painters are artists, visionaries are artists. I wrote books since the 80s but I sold graphic art in 2004 long before I sold any books. Creating graphic art-marketing promos for Lucas Oil Sponsees took me weeks from the point of concept to final finished product. It also involved photo shoots. Writing a book took me months, sometimes years and at times decades from concept to final product. My art, and my promo work and my photos, sold for much more than my books. I could fulfil a ton of art orders before I could fulfill a book launch since the last few years, I can write a book in thirty days much faster than most authors. Experience makes us faster.  BUT some authors like Hugh Howley, wrote stuff ignoring struture, shoved it online for a fraction of a typical book ( I think 99 cents)  and became a millionaire. Dollars stores thrive for this reason. There are three factors that drive businesses. Quality, Quanity, and Price. The magic formula consists of focusing on two of those, not three. This is why doors and windows rarely open in low priced 3D dwellings especially a city scene. An artist at max can only offer two of the three criteria. High Quality , high price, low quality low price. It's the high price low quality that often fails to fly.  When I bought wholesale for my floral shop the highest discounts were base on Quantity. The more I bought the less I paid per item. Similar to stacked sales. Jack Thomalin made the West Park series and sold it for an extremely low price. His work is great but he chose Quantity and Quality not Price. It is near impossible to expect all three and succeed because high price seldom excels in Quantity sales. And most low Quality might conquer Quanity but not Reach a high price. So what is an artist worth? I question how original is the artist? Do they make the textures from scratch or scrape from photos? Do they retell a tale or tell an original story? I recently studied a master video series for blender and was amazed at the shortcuts and thought wow do all artist cut corner like this? Where are they getting these texture images? .According to the video, not photographing them with a micro lens. Some artist use pixel bay or simply scrape them, or utilizing AI.  My point is not all artists are equal. Not all artists spend the same amount of time on art. Not all artists use original creations they created from start to finish. Not all artist invision their creation and create that vision, versus copy-cat someone . . .  or something. So, although the industry demands an average price range, not all artists deserve the same price, or to be within that standard average price range, be it higher or lower on the totem price pole. Each artist is unique  . . . or not . . . and deserves a good price or not.

Post edited by ArtAngel on

ArtAngel said:

nemesis10 said:

tsroemi said:

nemesis10 said:

tsroemi said:

I disagree. And we may have to agree to disagree. But here's how I see it. We, who create, are artists. Writers are artists. Painters are artists, visionaries are artists. I wrote books since the 80s but I sold graphic art in 2004 long before I sold any books. Creating graphic art-marketing promos for Lucas Oil Sponsees took me weeks from the point of concept to final finished product. It also involved photo shoots. Writing a book took me months, sometimes years and at times decades from concept to final product. My art, and my promo work and my photos, sold for much more than my books. I could fulfil a ton of art orders before I could fulfill a book launch since the last few years, I can write a book in thirty days much faster than most authors. Experience makes us faster.  BUT some authors like Hugh Howley, wrote stuff ignoring struture, shoved it online for a fraction of a typical book ( I think 99 cents)  and became a millionaire. Dollars stores thrive for this reason. There are three factors that drive businesses. Quality, Quanity, and Price. The magic formula consists of focusing on two of those, not three. This is why doors and windows rarely open in low priced 3D dwellings especially a city scene. An artist at max can only offer two of the three criteria. High Quality , high price, low quality low price. It's the high price low quality that often fails to fly.  When I bought wholesale for my floral shop the highest discounts were base on Quantity. The more I bought the less I paid per item. Similar to stacked sales. Jack Thomalin made the West Park series and sold it for an extremely low price. His work is great but he chose Quantity and Quality not Price. It is near impossible to expect all three and succeed because high price seldom excels in Quantity sales. And most low Quality might conquer Quanity but not Reach a high price. So what is an artist worth? I question how original is the artist? Do they make the textures from scratch or scrape from photos? Do they retell a tale or tell an original story? I recently studied a master video series for blender and was amazed at the shortcuts and thought wow do all artist cut corner like this? Where are they getting these texture images? .According to the video, not photographing them with a micro lens. Some artist use pixel bay or simply scrape them, or utilizing AI.  My point is not all artists are equal. Not all artists spend the same amount of time on art. Not all artists use original creations they created from start to finish. Not all artist invision their creation and create that vision, versus copy-cat someone . . .  or something. So, although the industry demands an average price range, not all artists deserve the same price, or to be within that standard average price range, be it higher or lower on the totem price pole. Each artist is unique  . . . or not . . . and deserves a good price or not.

I don't think we disagree.  I do think we should all spend less time trying to manage other's finances and more timre supporting each other, the store, and the hobby. We will never be able to buy all we want  and the artists are people so it is all a negotiation.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,680

nemesis10 said:

I don't think we disagree.  I do think we should all spend less time trying to manage other's finances and more timre supporting each other, the store, and the hobby. We will never be able to buy all we want  and the artists are people so it is all a negotiation.

I buy what I want, love, or need. May I suggest value is in the eyes of the beholder?
  • Destiny's DesignDestiny's Design Posts: 73
    edited April 2023

ArtAngel said:

nemesis10 said:

tsroemi said:

nemesis10 said:

tsroemi said:

I don't want to get too deep into this and I really don't like arguing but there are a couple of things I wanted to throw into the hat; I'm an artist with a degree in Fine Art, I'm also working on a book series (i didn't make the notebooks I write in, nor the software I type with), and what pays the bills currently is my digital 3D work, and I make textures as well as models from scratch, as separate products. So my models aren't always painted with my textures, and my textures don't always relate to my models. But aside from that I have worked with many amazing traditional artists, not one of them harvested clay to make the pigment to make their paints, not one of them burned and compressed their ingredients to use in their coal sketches, and not one of them ground graphite and compressed it to make their pencils. And no one ever looked at them and their beautiful work and thought they had "cut corners" Other people made things like pencils, charcoal sticks, and paints readily available and made that their job so that artists could work with them to create the work they do without the unnecessary hassle of spending weeks just trying to start the artwork. In the modern world, there isn't time to spend four years making one painting from absolute scratch when people have bills to pay. So to bring it back around, to suggest that 3d artists are somehow inferior for not also creating every texture they use from scratch as well is baffling to me. Those are two different skills, which is often why there are two artists working on one project if it has custom textures. The image of a starving artist is a dying one, and so it should be. The products 3d artists sell are the finished pieces, like traditional artists it's the canvas with the paint applied. Not the painful struggle to even begin the process.

Post edited by Destiny's Design on
  • ArtAngel said:

Jack Thomalin made the West Park series and sold it for an extremely low price. His work is great but he chose Quantity and Quality not Price. 

Gotta correct you here. He chose all three. The West Park series is owned by Daz aka they paid him up front a flat rate for his work (and I guarantee it wasn't cheap), then they resold it. If you are a club member, you get it at a very low price. If you are not, you get it at the average price for such sets at the time. Daz Originals are set up in such a way that quality doesn't get sacrificed for price. This is completely different for brokered products where the artist does not immediately get paid and has to hope their efforts are recouped over time. 

Getting *way* into the weeds here, but the other thing that happens as an artist (or crafter) gets faster at their art-- they also (generally) are getting better. Their time is then worth more money. I don't recall ever seeing an author getting paid less for a book because it took him or her less time than the previous had to write. Quite the opposite. 

This conversation started with the question on Esha's new outfit and I can only offer my own reaction. It went immediately into my cart after I looked it over. While not exactly 'pure' Medieval, it is close enough for a near re-enactor who is not concerned with details, for background in Medieval renders, or maybe on another world/fantasy that is not strickly our world.

Also, it is by Esha, who is one of the PAs I go to often for clothing and accessories and if I have to rebuild my library again, she is one of the first I re-download. Solid investment.

Funny thing is that I just finally bought an outfit by her for G1 that I had on wishlist since I saw Totte's use of it. It worked like a charm on G9. Her clothing holds up well.

As for Jack Tomalin, the man is the king! I buy what I can, when I can. And his updating his older works to Iray is an incredible bonus. 

• I quite liked the Essential Stationery Props right up to the point I saw, or rather failed to see something - a fountain pen, however cheap. Pfft.

Not really hugely impressed. Looks like despite my efforts at a modern version of a 1920's Parker Duofold Lucky Curve, a Parker 51 look-alike hooded nib pen and a 1915 Onoto 3000, I need to make one or two cheap modern FP's too. Though, at a current price of $16.50 inc postage, a Wing Sung 601 re-working of the Parker 51 is a superb pen, so I suppose I have already by default modelled one cheap fountain pen... I just wish such things were included in otherwise really rather good stationery sets.

Regards,

Richard

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,895

richardandtracy said:

I quite liked the Essential Stationery Props right up to the point I saw, or rather failed to see something - a fountain pen, however cheap. Pfft.

Not really hugely impressed. Looks like despite my efforts at a modern version of a 1920's Parker Duofold Lucky Curve, a Parker 51 look-alike hooded nib pen and a 1915 Onoto 3000, I need to make one or two cheap modern FP's too. Though, at a current price of $16.50 inc postage, a Wing Sung 601 re-working of the Parker 51 is a superb pen, so I suppose I have already by default modelled one cheap fountain pen... I just wish such things were included in otherwise really rather good stationery sets.

Regards,

Richard

At $1.58 (with 8 tokens & 30% Xiu Lin discount) the Stationery Props are too hot to pass up. Looks like you've got me covered in spades for fountain pens (thanks for the links); so, my Julia 9 will bypass the scam that is college and go old school. Big ups to you once again, you man of many talents!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,167

xyer0 said:

richardandtracy said:

I quite liked the Essential Stationery Props right up to the point I saw, or rather failed to see something - a fountain pen, however cheap. Pfft.

Regards,

Richard

At $1.58 (with 8 tokens & 30% Xiu Lin discount) the Stationery Props are too hot to pass up. Looks like you've got me covered in spades for fountain pens (thanks for the links); so, my Julia 9 will bypass the scam that is college and go old school. Big ups to you once again, you man of many talents!

I was gonna get the stationary props (which look really nice), but thought about it. I think I'd have more fun making my own, since I can. LOL 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,895

AllenArt said:

xyer0 said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

I was gonna get the stationary props (which look really nice), but thought about it. I think I'd have more fun making my own, since I can. LOL 

You guys! I'll be watching in case you sharecg them with us, as you are often so generous to do. 

• morrisonmpmorrisonmp Posts: 152

I love the B.E.T.T.Y. Dorm Room. I know a lot of people are sick of getting "yet another dorm room" but, this one is great. I love the look, I love the props it comes with. It was immediately exciting for me. I've been working on renders at an exclusive, upscale school and cobbling them together from other parts but man, this is just the perfect product at the perfect time. Thanks!

ChangelingChick said:

ArtAngel said:

Jack Thomalin made the West Park series and sold it for an extremely low price. His work is great but he chose Quantity and Quality not Price. 

Getting *way* into the weeds here, but the other thing that happens as an artist (or crafter) gets faster at their art-- they also (generally) are getting better. Their time is then worth more money. I don't recall ever seeing an author getting paid less for a book because it took him or her less time than the previous had to write. Quite the opposite. 

I don't wanna open up the discussion again, just add this real quick: Yours is a vey valid point that I had never considered like this before.  Of course one would never base a writer's royalties on how fast they are (though, doing some writing myself, I can only say you better be damn fast and churn out books by the dozen, cause you'll get paid very little usually). So it's definitely weird of me to think quickness or easiness should be a metric for the payment of 3d artists. Maybe it was because there's this level of technical handicraft involved? I can't really say. I'm very sorry if I offended anyone, and do heartily apologize.

My general feeling now is that maybe it would be much better if the store didn't bring out new stuff every other minute, and have another and another and another sale, so that we all could catch our breath and then pay a decent amount for the stuff that we really want. As it is, I often tell myself to save up my money for this and that item on the wishlist, but then the sales come along, and everything is so pretty and so much lower priced, and you would be mad not to buy ... I guess y'all know what I mean. I'll try to better myself, I will.

That being said, I totally agree with the poster above who likes the college room set so much, I do too! And I also don't really need any other dorm room at all, but the bed is so very pretty I think. Damn, and there goes my be-good-resolution again ...

• Today, I have to say I think that Mousso's Dola is quite spectacular.

Doesn't look like the run-of-the-mill G9 characters at all.

Regards,

Richard.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,969

I don't know if it's just the renders, but Desert Wreckage Hideout looks well below the standard of quality I expect from Polish.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,120
    edited April 2023

Gordig said:

I don't know if it's just the renders, but Desert Wreckage Hideout looks well below the standard of quality I expect from Polish.

it's just a 4 walled/ box movie set from what I see that doesn't really relate to the exterior buildings at all

looks more like it's in a shipping container 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,934

richardandtracy said:

Today, I have to say I think that Mousso's Dola is quite spectacular.

I find that Mousso has done similar characters before; but yeah, Dola does look gorgeous.

Gordig said:

Desert Wreckage Hideout looks well below the standard of quality I expect from Polish.

Really? It looks pretty good to me.

• Hylas, I agree that Dola has a strong Mousso family resemblance. But this is the first strong G9 character I've seen getting to my 'Must Have' threshold. If we'd not just (last few days) bought a new vehicle at home, the character'd be in my product list by now. The sculpting is really impressive.

Regards,

Richard.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,969

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Gordig said:

it's just a 4 walled/ box movie set from what I see that doesn't really relate to the exterior buildings at all

looks more like it's in a shipping container 

I have no issue with the set being what it is, it just looks sloppily modeled. Look at the bedding, for example. You see a lot of sharp angles in the shadows, whether because it's a little too low-poly or because of badly configured normals. The other parts of the series look fine to me, but I find this interior really lacking.

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Richard, you will cringe but when I was stuck in high school in Oregon for two years, I had to take notes and be prepared to show them on demand to any teacher. So I had a simple Speedball pen and ink bottle of black ink that I would take notes with in Black Gothic script, in my own form of abbreviations, French, and Gregg shorthand. Drove them nuts. Never dropped the bottle but it did capture their attention on the angled tables we had to work on. 

Love your pens. Exquisite work.

Mary

• tsroemi said:

Maybe it was because there's this level of technical handicraft involved? I can't really say. I'm very sorry if I offended anyone, and do heartily apologize.

No offense taken at all. This is just a really weird industry that gets hard to compare to others because there isn't a physical thing. I've been trying to find the right analogy for a while now :D 

• memcneil70 said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Richard, you will cringe but when I was stuck in high school in Oregon for two years, I had to take notes and be prepared to show them on demand to any teacher. So I had a simple Speedball pen and ink bottle of black ink that I would take notes with in Black Gothic script, in my own form of abbreviations, French, and Gregg shorthand. Drove them nuts. Never dropped the bottle but it did capture their attention on the angled tables we had to work on. 

Love your pens. Exquisite work.

Mary

Mary, I wouldn't cringe. I just pretend to be a bit of a pen snob. I do love to use FP's and have been fortunate to have found quite a few that suit me and want to show those who've had bad experiences that they're not all awful, and properly tuned pens can help users cope with things like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome because they should be able to mark the page with zero pressure. I always carry a couple of fountain pens with me, ususally with 2 different ink colours, Turquoise in one & something else in another (Purple, brown, green, black, electric blue, yellow, orange, blood red or even clear yet UV florescent). I tend to grab 2 pens every morning from my inked up range of 20 or so on my bedside locker.

Regards,

Richard.

This discussion has been closed.