Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• Even if one disregards being built on top of a giant lobster, the fantasy battleship is warping timespace because it comes with turrets in places with little to no space left for the barbette underneath the gunhouse. Like the one on top of the bridge. They'd be exchanging all bridge windows the very moment it fires a salvo. Some of their officer staff too.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

Let's be honest: someone who would buy a battleship built on top of a giant lobster probably isn't too concerned with technical details. 

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,318
    edited April 2023

I have to admit I really, really like the texture of the KUJ Battleship Lobster! It was part of the bundle I got so decided to test it out.  You can turn off almost all basttleship parts for a pretty decent lobster!  Removing the deck does leave a gaping hole in the top of the lobster.  Oh well. Also, I don't think any of the pinchers or tail, or legs move.  That's a shame - had this been JUST a lobster with movable parts I would have BOUGHT IT SO HARD!  As it is, I will get a little bit of use out of it.  Might poke around the texturing files to see what else I can do with it.  The whole "Metal Lobster" thing reminds me of Antfarm stuff that I love so much. 

Sorry for the really rough renders, was in a hurry, but wanted to throw these out there.

005a_KUJ_Lobster.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    006a_KUJ_Lobster.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    007a_KUJ_Lobster.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924

maybe someone can make a live and cooked lobster geograft set for it, textures and pose morphs

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,053
    https://www.daz3d.com/teen-iffy-for-genesis-81-female

Wait... A kid character that actually looks like a kid?! Insanity! :P

But seriously, that's an impressive first Daz product from NERDWORKS. Pretty, but a little gawky, and not overly sexualized. Nice work.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

I like the morph, but I'm not at all impressed with the texture. It looks like a slightly cleaned up FaceTransfer.

Gordig said:

I like the morph, but I'm not at all impressed with the texture. It looks like a slightly cleaned up FaceTransfer.

probably a scan because body also matches by looks hopefully not one of an actual minor blush 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,801

doubledeviant said:

But seriously, that's an impressive first Daz product from NERDWORKS. Pretty, but a little gawky, and not overly sexualized. Nice work.

Had the same thought. A lot of teen characters 'round here either look like toons, or awkward adults.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,129

I do feel with Stonemason stuff that saying 'nice' is a bit redundant. If it's Stonemason, it qualifies as 'nice', by definition. Whether it's instabuy or wishlist is the only question. With this one, I agree, it's a wishlist item. It is really nice, but I'm not sure I have a pressing need for it at the moment. Or the imagination to come up with a pressing need for it today. But I will, eventually.

Regards,

Richard

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,779

I started seeing things as I looked at the images for Pirates Cove. And understand this, I am not crazy for DAZ's pirates, nor of the tropics (humidity, bugs, typhoons, heat, not my jam). But, it is Stonemason and I saw things I could do with it. Then how to afford or wait? Two tokens in my pocket. Looked at the other offerings, built a cart of less expensive items, earned 6 tokens, bought. Went back for Pirates Cove, AB Dokkalfar, the Leather Outfit, and to boost my token count, Bloody Rain Outfit, bringing the prices down.

The first cart and the second were built with items I selected because I wanted them, not forced to fill a void. Now I am not sure I will use the 8 tokens I have but they will be there if something is released that is outstanding in the next four days.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,271

richardandtracy said:

I do feel with Stonemason stuff that saying 'nice' is a bit redundant. If it's Stonemason, it qualifies as 'nice', by definition. Whether it's instabuy or wishlist is the only question. With this one, I agree, it's a wishlist item. It is really nice, but I'm not sure I have a pressing need for it at the moment. Or the imagination to come up with a pressing need for it today. But I will, eventually.

Regards,

Richard

I was thinking of swapping out the plants for temperate versions and changing the ground to make a more generic country or coastal village.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,570

memcneil70 said:

I started seeing things as I looked at the images for Pirates Cove. And understand this, I am not crazy for DAZ's pirates, nor of the tropics (humidity, bugs, typhoons, heat, not my jam). But, it is Stonemason and I saw things I could do with it. Then how to afford or wait? Two tokens in my pocket. Looked at the other offerings, built a cart of less expensive items, earned 6 tokens, bought. Went back for Pirates Cove, AB Dokkalfar, the Leather Outfit, and to boost my token count, Bloody Rain Outfit, bringing the prices down.

The first cart and the second were built with items I selected because I wanted them, not forced to fill a void. Now I am not sure I will use the 8 tokens I have but they will be there if something is released that is outstanding in the next four days.

I'm still on the fence... Wasn't planning on buying anything today, but once I saw the Pirates Cove, I started drooling and got an itch that doesn't let go... 

I want it but I spent an unusually large amount the past week here so hence wishlisting

no hurry wink

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,570

Could not resist, landed in my Product Library smiley

A new UltraScenery Biome, a Desert one. Always appreciate new US products. I suspect US & USXT are amongst my most used assets even though they are a killer on the rendering time.

Regards,

Richard

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,053
    The desert biome looks nice, but it might be advantageous to hold off purchasing until tomorrow if you have tokens that aren't expiring today: We should see the "New Character of the Week" tomorrow if pattern holds (Kiri, Lawrence, Julia, Xiu Lin, & Genghis having released on Thursdays) - and then be able to buy both with the discount if desired.

I want the desert stuff, and I doubt the new G9 character will be interesting to me, but I have tokens and imagine that I would regret using them now if tomorrow's release were something surprising and awesome like Reptilian 9. (New deserts *and* reptile men to populate them? Yes, I'm dreaming. Lol.)

doubledeviant said:

I would regret using them now if tomorrow's release were something surprising and awesome like Reptilian 9. (New deserts *and* reptile men to populate them? Yes, I'm dreaming. Lol.)

for rendering those lizard King coronation scenes?

joking, I am not one of those David Icke followers, just would find it funny

• franky85franky85 Posts: 112

doubledeviant said:

That's because she's a kid lol. Since there's head textures with hair on the scalp I immediately thought 3d.sk, so I went to look and yep.. She's Doroteya from 3d.sk. Her face textures and 3D scan are available there. Body has nothing to do with her though. That said, still very good for a first product. Who would have thought using actual people would make them look more like.. actual people? surprise

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,743

franky85 said:

doubledeviant said:

That's because she's a kid lol. Since there's head textures with hair on the scalp I immediately thought 3d.sk, so I went to look and yep.. She's Doroteya from 3d.sk. Her face textures and 3D scan are available there. Body has nothing to do with her though. That said, still very good for a first product. Who would have thought using actual people would make them look more like.. actual people? surprise

Wait, so PAs can just use publicly available morphs and skins without changing them? I thought PAs had to be great ZBrush sculptors, or at least good dial spinners. I didn't know they could just use existing products and resell them. That seems unethical... I won't be purchasing from that vendor although I originally put it in my wish list. 

• franky85franky85 Posts: 112
    edited May 2023

Wonderland said:

franky85 said:

doubledeviant said:

Wait, so PAs can just use publicly available morphs and skins without changing them? I thought PAs had to be great ZBrush sculptors, or at least good dial spinners. I didn't know they could just use existing products and resell them. That seems unethical... I won't be purchasing from that vendor although I originally put it in my wish list. 

You're confusing artist with published artist, which in Daz terms means only the PA has access to the HD morphs. Most artists on the daz store are not PAs. I'm assuming Wrap3 was used for the head on this one, and even then it requires some work for things, mostly the eyes. I'm not saying it's 100% as is for the 3D model, but it looks close. Her face is not super peculiar so it could have been done manually, too. Nerdworks did mention on the product page it was based on a real person.

Some artists only use built-in daz morphs or morph packs and then export as obj, reimport into a single morph etc and claims it was "expertly sculpted" so at some point you have to kind of stop caring about the actual process and more about the actual result lol.

Post edited by franky85 on

I've just seen this: https://www.daz3d.com/terraced-fields. What an interesting idea. No idea what I'd do with it, or even if I could do anything with it, but it really looks fascinating for a bamboo hut type village or something similar. Imagination would be the limiting factor.

Regards,

Richard

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604

richardandtracy said:

I've just seen this: https://www.daz3d.com/terraced-fields. What an interesting idea. No idea what I'd do with it, or even if I could do anything with it, but it really looks fascinating for a bamboo hut type village or something similar. Imagination would be the limiting factor.

Regards,

Richard

I had the same thoughts, great idea, but how would I use it.

I did pick up chevybabe25's new hair https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-feisty-feather-bun-hair-for-genesis-9 ; since I have been waiting for it since I saw the previews in the commercial forum. I love it, it's dforce, looks amazing, and very light on resources unlike older SBH products.

newhair.jpg
    1001 x 849 - 425K
  • I can see ChevyBabe25's Feisty Feather Bun Hair being my go-to hair for a long time to come, absolutely beautiful. Easiest purchase I've made in a long time.

Feisty Feather Bun.png
    1500 x 1950 - 3M
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

Destiny's Design said:

I can see ChevyBabe25's Feisty Feather Bun Hair being my go-to hair for a long time to come, absolutely beautiful. Easiest purchase I've made in a long time.

yes +1 

•  If a polygonal model like this ever comes out, I'm sold. I like the look, but dforce SBH ain't worth it.

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,200

PixelSploiting said:

If a polygonal model like this ever comes out, I'm sold. I like the look, but dforce SBH ain't worth it.

Dforce hair has had a makeover, and is rather light now, due to Daz's native curves.  It' competitive in weight to higher end polygonal models.  

•  If a polygonal model like this ever comes out, I'm sold. I like the look, but dforce SBH ain't worth it.

Ain't worth it? I'm not sure what you mean, maybe you're talking about SBH in general, but because of ChevyBabe's new shader this is possibly the lightest hair I now own. For a while now I've had to worry about getting my scene together without the hair imported. So I'd have to set everything up, go to a different viewport typle like bounding box, then apply all the hairs to my characters then hit render and pray. Not this one, I had zero issues messing about in iray with this hair loaded.
  • BandoriFanBandoriFan Posts: 364

The Kaly Outfit looks so amazing! The skirt's material looks so luxurious and buttery and the arm sleeves are so cute! 

edited May 2023

I've seen JeffersonAF's Abandoned Garden. I love it. It looks the closest modelled garden to the effect we've been trying to create in our own garden for years. If anything, it's less wild than our garden, but then we did achieve a local wildlife garden gold award at a hitherto unheard-of first attempt. It did come as a surprise to us when we found a 12ft/3.6m high oak tree in a corner - it was hidden in a patch of 10ft/3m high Broom.

Anyway, it feels so familiar in a way.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on