Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

2456789

Comments

  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

    Ya done good! 

  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145
    edited November 2022

    I have been a fan recently of fefecoolyellow's https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-style-dforce-outfit-for-genesis-9

    I just love this dress, and this is from someone that buys very little female items anymore ;) It was so well made that I was actually shocked that it wasn't Mada's (which is what hit my brain when I laid eyes on it). Now fefecoolyellow is in my top 5 clothing makers list ;)

    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,607

    MimicMolly said:

    SolitarySandpiper said:

    I absolutely love The Row House but it's not unconditional... So far the G9 stuffs not for me https://www.daz3d.com/apocalyptique-the-aftermath-collection-for-genesis-9 but it'll come.

    I've never bought from them before and those "909 Baked Materials, Bump, Height, Roughness, Metallic, Normal, Specular, and Transparency Maps" for that product aren't going to convince me either. Yikes!

    Holy crap! thanks for pointing that out. Definitely a no buy for me now.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,954

    A new product I admire & will buy is this one: 

    Bamboo Houses 1 | Daz 3D

     

  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,256

    I'd have happily snapped up Oso3D hair set if iit hadn't been Iray only.

  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,743

    AllenArt said:

    I have been a fan recently of fefecoolyellow's https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-style-dforce-outfit-for-genesis-9

    I just love this dress, and this is from someone that buys very little female items anymore ;) It was so well made that I was actually shocked that it wasn't Mada's (which is what hit my brain when I laid eyes on it). Now fefecoolyellow is in my top 5 clothing makers list ;)

    Yup. fefecoolyellow's become my go-to for my heroine's wardrobe. Her other store is stocked too. 

  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

    JOdel: Well, for what it's worth, you can apply a RSL shader on it, but you'd have to sort out specular. You can plug in a color map and it will apply to each hair, so if you wanted, say, black grading to white, put a black-white gradiant. Or whatever color you want. You also probably want to set Line Tessellation to 3 (although it seemed to work ok in 1)

    The dForce Hair elements work just fine in 3DL.

    A quick n dirty experiment is attached.

     

    Oso G9 Hair1 3DL.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 200K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900
    edited November 2022

    If I did 3dl renders I'd probably use a lot of dforce hair with them; I honestly think they work and look better than a lot of other designs in 3dl.

    And you can avoid transmap issues 

    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

    xyer0 said:

    AllenArt said:

    I have been a fan recently of fefecoolyellow's https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-style-dforce-outfit-for-genesis-9

    I just love this dress, and this is from someone that buys very little female items anymore ;) It was so well made that I was actually shocked that it wasn't Mada's (which is what hit my brain when I laid eyes on it). Now fefecoolyellow is in my top 5 clothing makers list ;)

    Yup. fefecoolyellow's become my go-to for my heroine's wardrobe. Her other store is stocked too. 

    I've been having a look...lol. 

  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 495

    Oso3D said:

    Appreciated!

    I kind of went crazy with options. Heh. And the way the hair colors work, it should be pretty easy for people to tweak and expand on it.

    OMG, those sideburns!  Agent Kallus renders here I come!

  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,282

    nonesuch00 said:

    Like Gordig, I'm barely rendering anymore.

    Oh, I do lots of rendering; I just don't use DS to do it.

  • csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited November 2022

    nemesis10 said:

     

    As I mentioned, I am a "redbone", with my own ancestry as an American almost as much English/Welsh as it is West African.  There is a point where inaccurate representation veers out of the uncanny valley into caricature: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/why-do-cosmetics-companies-keep-blacking-up-womens-hands-in-ads_uk_5b7143f9e4b0ae32af997c4c as in the case of this this cosmetic company that simply covered this model with brown makeup rather than hiring a model of appropriate skin color.

     

    nemesis10,

    Thank you for sharing that very informative post. It reminded me of the so-called "Shirley Card" that I stumbled on when I began to become interested in film photography. As you may know, color and skin tone representation in film is an outcome of a camera system's dynamic range and, in the case of film, the chemical composition of the negative. In the early days of color photography, manufacturers standardized on caucasian skin as the standard ... with the result that red and dark skin subjects weren't faithfully photographed. Hence the "Shirly Card" for standardizing color balance.

    According to lore, it wasn't until the 1970s that the industry tackled the problem; primarily because furniture companies complained that the subtleties in red and mahogany wood, for example, were lost on the camera systems at that time. Same with chocolate manufacturers! When digital cameras came out, circuitry was incorporated to process not just fair skin but also dark skin too. Film manufacturers adjusted their formula in tandem, thanks for improvements in film chemistry during the intervening years. Since then things have gotten so much better.

    For an easy-to-follow reference on this bit of history, please see https://www.slrlounge.com/unfortunate-history-racial-bias-photography/. The article has link at the bottom to a video that's as informative as it is witty.

    Cheers!

     

    Post edited by csaa on
  • Going with a Medieval theme, several small gripes, ''Orange'' Carrots NO WRONG, white, yellow & purply black, are the right colours for period. https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-style-dforce-outfit-for-genesis-9 is a really nice outfit, BUT it should be a dress not a top & skirts, and no silly long sleeves, and it's a pity about the footwear, a simple ankle boot would be better for the outfit outdoors in mother nature. As for the Bow & Arrows, a light weight longbow, rather than a Recurve Bow, & only 3 feathers, not 4 on the arrow. Also missing a pouch bag on her belt, & a small knife. And finally, it's a building not a 'block', it could part of a street on it's own plot of land, or maaaaybe a stand alone building.....Otherwise I'm liking the new content...

  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,607

    Since this thread is to appreciate new items in the store, I am thrilled there are new heels for genesis 9!!! https://www.daz3d.com/kiera-high-heels-for-genesis-8-female-and-genesis-9

    I haven't jumped on the G9 bandwagon yet since there are some basic things I need to be able to use a new figure and heels are one of those, so I am happy to see these and from a vendor I like as well. Looks like it's finally time to instal the latest DS and purchase some morphs

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,954

    Gordig said:

    nonesuch00 said:

    Like Gordig, I'm barely rendering anymore.

    Oh, I do lots of rendering; I just don't use DS to do it.

    I'm not at that point yet as I am drudgingly going through introductory Blender tutorials at CG Cookie (again). If I'm lucky my purchase of a RTX 4090 and being actually ready to render in Blender my own personal projects will roughly coincide. 

  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,286

    csaa said:

    nemesis10 said:

     

    As I mentioned, I am a "redbone", with my own ancestry as an American almost as much English/Welsh as it is West African.  There is a point where inaccurate representation veers out of the uncanny valley into caricature: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/why-do-cosmetics-companies-keep-blacking-up-womens-hands-in-ads_uk_5b7143f9e4b0ae32af997c4c as in the case of this this cosmetic company that simply covered this model with brown makeup rather than hiring a model of appropriate skin color.

     

    nemesis10,

    Thank you for sharing that very informative post. It reminded me of the so-called "Shirley Card" that I stumbled on when I began to become interested in film photography. As you may know, color and skin tone representation in film is an outcome of a camera system's dynamic range and, in the case of film, the chemical composition of the negative. In the early days of color photography, manufacturers standardized on caucasian skin as the standard ... with the result that red and dark skin subjects weren't faithfully photographed. Hence the "Shirly Card" for standardizing color balance.

    According to lore, it wasn't until the 1970s that the industry tackled the problem; primarily because furniture companies complained that the subtleties in red and mahogany wood, for example, were lost on the camera systems at that time. Same with chocolate manufacturers! When digital cameras came out, circuitry was incorporated to process not just fair skin but also dark skin too. Film manufacturers adjusted their formula in tandem, thanks for improvements in film chemistry during the intervening years. Since then things have gotten so much better.

    For an easy-to-follow reference on this bit of history, please see https://www.slrlounge.com/unfortunate-history-racial-bias-photography/. The article has link at the bottom to a video that's as informative as it is witty.

    Cheers!

    Yep, I worked with scientists who had traveled to East Africa to study parasites and we discussed the "Shirley Card" issue as to why their photos of Africans always turned into black blobs in their photos.  An issue that came up during the Covid Pandemic was this: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/07/11/1110370384/when-it-comes-to-darker-skin-pulse-oximeters-fall-short which probably increased mortality for certain populations.  I did end end up buying the product and an update was issued that fixed the problem so the discussion was productive!

  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,282

    An issue related to everything Nemesis is talking about is that facial recognition algorithms have trouble identifying dark-skinned people at all. 

  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

    medievalpirate said:

    .. it's a pity about the footwear, a simple ankle boot would be better for the outfit outdoors in mother nature...

    ...alas, boots would be as unrealistic. Otoh the PA at least tried to replicate a real medieval shoe - called waistcoat shoe (it seems) or in german Bundschuh (no english wike available it seems) which was in use in different styles over all Europe since roman times and up to later medieval times by poorer people... the PA should have used a more historically accurate design perhaps, but at least they tried.

  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 878
    edited November 2022

    Easier to find any pictures if you google for "carbantinae" or "carbatinae". The model is not great in details, but the artists clearly had something like this in mind.

    That's more accurate than 90% of "medieval" shoes in the store.

    Roman soldiers wore it too. Definitely one can wear it outdoor. Only difference is the "military" version had added soles. Sometimes.

    Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • Hylas said:

    Oso3D said:

    If you just go on a few image searches of 'black palms,' the 'answer' is 'it varies considerably.'

    Some dark-skinned folks, the palm is, at most, very slightly lighter. Others, the palm is dramatically lighter. And everything in between.

    Searching for "black palms" gives me pictures of palm trees. Searching for "black skin palms" gives me mostly images of melanoma, yikes!

    "Hands of black people" finally gives me mostly exactly that, but almost everybody in those images seems to have considerably lighter skin on their palms.

    Aaaaaaaaanyway, I was under the impression that all black people have lighter skin on their palms and soles but I stand corrected. Happy to have learned something!

    laugh

     

     

     

     

     

    In contrast:

     

  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

    PixelSploiting said:

    Easier to find any pictures if you google for "carbantinae" or "carbatinae". The model is not great in details, but the artists clearly had something like this in mind.

    That's more accurate than 90% of "medieval" shoes in the store.

    Roman soldiers wore it too. Definitely one can wear it outdoor. Only difference is the "military" version had added soles. Sometimes.

    I wore exactly these (with soles attached to them) while doing Viking reenactment and when working on a medieval market here in germany. Totally comfy shoes btw. and on the wiki link I gave there is even a pattern to use to make some yourself. Calfskin leather is best for that, I think. smiley

  • Well it looks like today's releases saved me some money.  The only tning that really interested me was KOO Tyson to balance out al of the females I have and whoops, no anatimical elements, no sale.

  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,804

    It's a nice Bruce Willis look-a-like smiley

  • Gordig said:

    An issue related to everything Nemesis is talking about is that facial recognition algorithms have trouble identifying dark-skinned people at all. 

    I regard that as a positive feature & wish it could be extended to light skined people too. 

    I find such things have difficulties with mustaches and beards too. My mustache changes shape quite significantly over a trimming cycle, and the colour of what remains of the coloured fur in my beard is strongly length dependant. When short, it varies between light brown and black (depending where it is), when longer it goes ginger and when over 2" it's blonde. The systems cannot recognise me if their photos are based on a short beard when I have a long one & vice versa.. The issue will disappear in a few years when it all goes white, or it lands in the bin, but until then I hope to continue to confuse automated systems.

     

    I don't think I have mentioned quite how much I appreciate the new Voss Hair for G9. (https://www.daz3d.com/voss-hair-for-genesis-9). I didn't much like the G8 Voss Hair, thinking that most colours make it look like straw and not hair, but the new one seems much more versatile and the colours are closer to real ones. Do like it.

    Regards,

    Richard

     

  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

    Hylas said:

    It's a nice Bruce Willis look-a-like smiley

    He looks more like Van Diesal to me  

  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

    I normally like Kookie's characters, but this one I'll have to pass on. Nothing much has interested me for G9 so far other than an outfit by sprite that I can use on both genders and what came out for Vicky and Mike (and their characters) respectively on their launch days. That's pretty much it for characters and clothing. Hopefully something strikes me soon ;).

  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

    RAMWolff said:

    Hylas said:

    It's a nice Bruce Willis look-a-like smiley

    He looks more like Van Diesel to me  

    Especially on the promo picture where he stands beside that too fast and furious car...

    billyben_0077a25354 said:

    Well it looks like today's releases saved me some money.  The only tning that really interested me was KOO Tyson to balance out al of the females I have and whoops, no anatimical elements, no sale.

     Business as usual with a Kookie99 figure. I think there was up to now only one - if any at all - male coming with anatomical elements. Still I got me quite a few of their figures, as they look great and there's 3rd party AEs available. And even though this figure looks nice, it's not enough to make me jump the G9 train.

  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,804

    maikdecker said:

    RAMWolff said:

    Hylas said:

    It's a nice Bruce Willis look-a-like smiley

    He looks more like Van Diesel to me  

    Especially on the promo picture where he stands beside that too fast and furious car...

    Yeah, you guys are right. But I do think he's a very Bruce Willis looking Vin Diesel :)

  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,804

    I appreciate the Cyberpunk Enforcer outfit being released for both G8 & G9. Hoping that there will be more of that for a little while.

    RawArt's Sasquatch: not my cup of tea, but that fur is impressive!

    Roots of Evil: This set looks perhaps a little slight. But Dreamlight products are sometimes available at very steep discounts, and I think this is going to be a great backdrop for fantasy and sci-fi renders.

Sign In or Register to comment.