Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961
    Hylas said:

I understand that armpit hair is difficult, but come on you guys. In all of G3/G8/G8.1 I know of exactyl one decent armpit hair product - that would be Oh My Body Hair by RedzStudio - and even that one's just ok, in my opinion.

I'm all for more options (as I already said), but just in case you haven't tried it, the strand based pit hair that comes with Sandor for G9 is at least very good, probably great in my opinion. If you're already aware of that and including that in your comment that's fair, but just want to call that one out.
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,781

AlmightyQUEST said:

Hylas said:

I understand that armpit hair is difficult, but come on you guys. In all of G3/G8/G8.1 I know of exactyl one decent armpit hair product - that would be Oh My Body Hair by RedzStudio - and even that one's just ok, in my opinion.

I'm all for more options (as I already said), but just in case you haven't tried it, the strand based pit hair that comes with Sandor for G9 is at least very good, probably great in my opinion. If you're already aware of that and including that in your comment that's fair, but just want to call that one out.

Sandor does look great, I wasn't even aware he had decent armpit hair. But I'm not using G9, so... frown

Roderick (same vendor) also has good armpit hair, but for some strange reason it can't be used on G8.1, only OG G8. And G8.1 happens to be my figure of choice, I'm pretty set on that.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,178

Hylas said:

Roderick (same vendor) also has good armpit hair, but for some strange reason it can't be used on G8.1, only OG G8. And G8.1 happens to be my figure of choice, I'm pretty set on that.

Try renaming the body surface on an 8.1 to torso using the geometry editor. I've had to do that for things like centaurs and mermaids on 8.1.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,032
    columbine said:

doubledeviant said:

snip

They are "medievalist" haloes in that they are oriented vertically behind the head, as opposed to latter-day haloes which tend to be depicted as sitting horizontally above the head like a hat. They do not actually touch the head; they're a couple of inches behind it. Of course you could always change the orientation yourself, if you wanted to tilt them. Some of these wouldn't look especially good if they were completely horizontal and viewed edge-on.

The props themselves just load as wardrobe, parented to the head, not the figure (so you have to dive down into the figure tree to find them). Karmen is modeling a combination of Halo 5 and Halo 6 here.

Thanks! I was thinking they could be adjusted more-or-less like hats if alternative fits aren't included in the product itself? For me, it was virtually an instant leap from "sees promo" to "wonders how they would look in a less awkward position" - it seems so obvious that it's a bit surprising that it's not part of the product pitch: "Here's a bunch of cool halos with 1-click adjustments for all sorts of looks!"

I agree that perfectly horizontal probably wouldn't be ideal for some of them - I was thinking something along the lines of a disc floating behind the head and "shining down" on the character at an angle - bit more of the modern look, but tilted to showcase the shaping and details of the halos. Something like this or this perhaps.

Gordig said:

Hylas said:

Try renaming the body surface on an 8.1 to torso using the geometry editor. I've had to do that for things like centaurs and mermaids on 8.1.

Pretty sure that didn't work, either... but I've long returned the product, so I can't check now.

Hylas said:

Gordig said:

Hylas said:

Pretty sure that didn't work, either... but I've long returned the product, so I can't check now.

Just gave it a spin myself, and I couldn't find any way to fit the hair to an 8.1, even the stuff that lines up with 8.1's surfaces. Coupled with the fact that there's no way to load just the hair, it seems like this was really only designed to work with the character preset.

Gordig said:

Hylas said:

Gordig said:

Hylas said:

Just gave it a spin myself, and I couldn't find any way to fit the hair to an 8.1, even the stuff that lines up with 8.1's surfaces. Coupled with the fact that there's no way to load just the hair, it seems like this was really only designed to work with the character preset.

Yeah, that was my conclusion at the time... thanks for re-checking

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

ArtAngel said:

Wonderland said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

OrangeFalcon said:

Timbales said:

There's a full sized 4 door pickup in today's new releases. That is the regular car of modern America.

I'm an American and can confirm we have a lot of these.  But the standard car in America?  Nah.

Truthfully, things like this are what's all over the roads in my US locale:

Zirael Flyte Hatchback Family Car | Daz 3D

Here (in LA) we have mostly black SUVs, Priuses, anything hybrid, BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, other high end cars, but rarely see pick-up trucks at all except maybe at Home Depot. 

Been to LA, more time than I can count. Live half way between Palm Springs and LA. LA is 1 hr away, while Palm Springs is 45 minutes away. LA does have a huge amount of SUVs but haven't seen a ton of Mercedes. LA is a huge place and it also has a very huge homeless problem and those people have no vehicles.. A tourist would be disappointed and shocked to see the number of homeless living in boxes at the curbside. Not all of LA is glitz, glimmer and clean. If that's the look one seeks Palm Springs wins hands down. Lots of Mercedes there, but yes we own a Toyota Tundra, as our third vehicle! Gotta love thoseTundras We updated the tires to be wide, lifted/raised it for the look for the sports races, and the fuel injected V8 engine is good for 300k.  The truth is most cities have their scum area and their upper class and everything in between, And LA has more trucks than you think. Here are the trucks registered per state (includes commercial) and California has the highest count.

Edit: To Upload a jpg for the truck stats per state in case you are denied acceess as a non-member.

'

Covid really added to the homeless problem because although homeless were given free hotel rooms, many didn't go because of worsening mental or addiction problems The streets never recovered and yeah, even in Beverly Hills there are homeless just lying on random streets sometimes, although the state gives them every opportunity to go indoors and financial assistance but that requires paperwork they are not capable of doing. Regarding pickup trucks, it would be really hard to find parking in most places and people couldn't really leave anything in the open part of the truck so the only place I see them are for landscapers, construction workers or people hauling stuff, rented U-Hauls. I think the most popular brands of cars in general here are Toyotas and Hondas, including SUVs and hybrids. There are starting to be quite a few charging areas for electric cars too. Many men here get high-end cars when they hit their mid-life crisis or get divorced lol. But a lot of really wealthy people live here including a huge potion of the entertainment industry so, depending on the neighborhood or event, you can see lots of really expensive high-end cars. 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,071

The April fool Banana Costume. Do like, especially the darker ripe & over-ripe textures.

Regards,

Richard

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

Someone tell me what is ASINA.

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 293

lou_harper said:

Someone tell me what is ASINA.

Aw, you want it spoiled? (It's free, you know, and it's a very small package.)

Well ... tell you what. I've posted an image in KA's ASINA competition thread. That will give it away. And that way it's a little harder to stumble across by accident than if I posted an image here.

• ZiconZicon Posts: 183

I am so happy Daz has finally updated the most detailed, stylish and sexy suit to G9. At last my boys can dress up properly!

[gallery link] [gallery link] [gallery link]
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

It's not nice to release something like this on Wednesday... https://www.daz3d.com/rising-sun-environment

So far, I have bought all their previous releases and it looks like their work is just improving.

PerttiA said:

It's not nice to release something like this on Wednesday... https://www.daz3d.com/rising-sun-environment

So far, I have bought all their previous releases and it looks like their work is just improving.

I had serious doubts about that set based on the promos, but looking through them all to see everything that's included won me over.

PerttiA said:

I wish there was an option for buying the exterior only. 

Sports Courts is nice. https://www.daz3d.com/sport-courts

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,252
    https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mi-everyday-construction-worker-bundle Purchased immediately. I have a story I'm working on this will be perfect for.

lou_harper said:

PerttiA said:

I wish there was an option for buying the exterior only.

Amusingly, the exterior is the only part I can't use. None of my fictional universes is a car-centric sort of space like that, where you have lone buildings surrounded by parking lot. The Rising Sun, for me, would be located in a city block somewhere.

It's OK, though, because there are so many interior parts in that which I can use--frequently!--that I'm clenching my teeth and paying the too-high price for it. I don't like paying some of Daz' prices because I feel it just encourages them to keep gouging, but this set does look like a great deal of effort was put into it and I should just about get value for money. ("Value" being a vaporous measurement here since I don't charge for my work ...)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,071

The amount of work creating that level of detail is stunning. Good on GCJellyfish.

Regards,

Richard

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,348

When it comes to the Rising Sun set, it's worth pointing out that: The cash register opens. The card reader separates from the cash register. The filing cabinets open. The dishwasher in the backroom kitchen that barely appears in the promos opens. The racks in that dishwasher pull out. The bedcovers are set up for dForce. The fluid level can be adjusted and tilted in the beer bottles.

GCJellyfish products are on a different level; whatever you're expecting, it goes beyond that.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,444

Matt_Castle said:

When it comes to the Rising Sun set, it's worth pointing out that: The cash register opens. The card reader separates from the cash register. The filing cabinets open. The dishwasher in the backroom kitchen that barely appears in the promos opens. The racks in that dishwasher pull out. The bedcovers are set up for dForce. The fluid level can be adjusted and tilted in the beer bottles.

GCJellyfish products are on a different level; whatever you're expecting, it goes beyond that.

wow. I was wondering about all that too..well, maybe not the hidden stuff as you stated, but open and closing, etc. It sure looks mighty nice.  

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436

Timbales said:

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mi-everyday-construction-worker-bundle Purchased immediately. I have a story I'm working on this will be perfect for.

Only drawback to this one I see is that there don't seem to be any clean texture options. 

Matt_Castle said:

Having now had a chance to actually load this set and look at it a bit ...

This beast comes with a 37-page PDF describing how to use it wisely and well, and listing the various props ... there are more than two hundred and sixty zero props, and these do not count the "room props" like fixtures and lighting.

The PDF includes such niceties as a section called "Man ... Clocks Suck. Do I Have To Do Post Work?"

"I feel your pain. I used scripts in my previous car product to help with that, but I needed a better solution with so many different props. Happily, I found it. Any prop that is a clock, or contains a clock display, has the ability to set the time of day [emphasis mine] using one or more property sliders that can be found in Parameters > General > Transforms. This includes the microwave and oven."

There is also a section "What if I want to turn the main hall into a more classy date destination?" wherein it is revealed that the main hall has a second preload to easily convert it from pole-dancing to a more cabaret-like place (turn off the poles and the neon signs, turn on the stage curtains, etc).

I take back any reservations I may have had. I still wince a little at that price, but I don't think it's overpriced. There's a mountain of work that went into this thing. (I might not have been surprised if I'd realized this is the same PA who did the irreplaceable Dirty Dishes sets.)

My only warning is that it does come in three install packages and is nearly a 3 GB install. And those who feel memory shortages when they render will definitely want to use the sectional loads rather than try to load the whole thing.

I have all of GCJellyfish's previous products, and this one looks great and I could probably use lots of the props, but honestly, I'm ovewhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

I want to commend GCJellyfish for the monumental work that went into the totality of the complete package, the promo pictures and the description of the product's options... What an incredible masterpiece. 

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,348

murgatroyd314 said:

Timbales said:

Only drawback to this one I see is that there don't seem to be any clean texture options. 

I feel the utility of the Construction Worker outfit is considerably lessened by the lack of clean (or at least cleaner) texture options.

I'm not saying the grime shouldn't have been an option, but I don't think it should have been the only option - I expect it would be extremely hard for an end user to remove it from the textures without basically redoing them, whereas a clean option could be dirtied up to my own satisfaction with any of several different grime products I have. Also, it could be dirtied up differently - here, if I need more than one worker at my construction site, every single one of them is going to have had the exact same accidents with a paintbrush. (Every different texture set for the trousers, regardless of colour, shows the exact same splodges on it).

If anything, the identicality in the dirt on every texture set to me strongly implies the dirt was an overlay layer (or layers) applied over the rest in the texturing process, and I'm guessing that could have been turned off to export clean texture sets.

I know whining forum users who say things like "I want to buy things like this, but this new product isn't up to my standards!" are a dime a dozen, but this does feel like quite an oversight in the production of the product. At the start of the day, the entire construction crew has identically soiled outfits?

columbine said:

I take back any reservations I may have had. I still wince a little at that price, but I don't think it's overpriced. There's a mountain of work that went into this thing. (I might not have been surprised if I'd realized this is the same PA who did the irreplaceable Dirty Dishes sets.)

On the other hand, GCJellyfish's product is on the end of the spectrum where it's not something I wanted - I don't have a want for a gentleman's club - but where I'm absolutely certain that I'll be able to use it, just because there's so much functionality in all the bits and pieces I can use elsewhere.

I have several scenes where I was thinking that there was no way I'd have the prop I needed in my library, and was looking to see what I could export to Blender to modify, then found that Dirty Dishes had exactly what I needed.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,650

Matt_Castle said:

murgatroyd314 said:

Timbales said:

I feel the utility of the Construction Worker outfit is considerably lessened by the lack of clean (or at least cleaner) texture options.

I'm not saying the grime shouldn't have been an option, but I don't think it should have been the only option - I expect it would be extremely hard for an end user to remove it from the textures without basically redoing them, whereas a clean option could be dirtied up to my own satisfaction with any of several different grime products I have. Also, it could be dirtied up differently - here, if I need more than one worker at my construction site, every single one of them is going to have had the exact same accidents with a paintbrush. (Every different texture set for the trousers, regardless of colour, shows the exact same splodges on it).

If anything, the identicality in the dirt on every texture set to me strongly implies the dirt was an overlay layer (or layers) applied over the rest in the texturing process, and I'm guessing that could have been turned off to export clean texture sets.

I know whining forum users who say things like "I want to buy things like this, but this new product isn't up to my standards!" are a dime a dozen, but this does feel like quite an oversight in the production of the product. At the start of the day, the entire construction crew has identically soiled outfits?

columbine said:

On the other hand, GCJellyfish's product is on the end of the spectrum where it's not something I wanted - I don't have a want for a gentleman's club - but where I'm absolutely certain that I'll be able to use it, just because there's so much functionality in all the bits and pieces I can use elsewhere.

I have several scenes where I was thinking that there was no way I'd have the prop I needed in my library, and was looking to see what I could export to Blender to modify, then found that Dirty Dishes had exactly what I needed.

IDK. I'm just glad he included a G8 version.

• I actually love what I see with that Rising Sun building.  I've been looking for, and slowly accumulating, Art Deco buildings, props, clothes, and whatnot, because I eventually want to create a Decopunk retro-future sci-fi universe, something that would at least partly be inspired by Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" (1927), which while that movie HAS been called Steampunk my some, pretty much strikes me as being way closer to proto-Decopunk.  (Decopunk is a subset/cousin of Dieselpunk.)  I'd likely have to switch out some of the too-modern-looking elements from the Rising Sun props, such as that cash register and that desktop computer, with more Art Deco period appropriate stuff and/or with actual Steampunk equivalents, to make it look more like a Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" era period piece, but I'd likely be kit-bashing the place anyway.

I'm going to have to nerve myself up into spending the $48 for the whole package, though, since its roughtly 1/4th of my self-imposed Daz Studio-products budget for the month... but WOW what a package!  As someone else here pointed out, EVERY prop that in the real world has moving parts... the prop itself has moving parts! laugh Which explains why the whole product is $48!  laughlaughlaugh

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

PerttiA said:

There is a house in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun
    And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
    And God I know I'm one...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

I'm going to have to nerve myself up into spending the $48 for the whole package, though, since its roughtly 1/4th of my self-imposed Daz Studio-products budget for the month... but WOW what a package!  As someone else here pointed out, EVERY prop that in the real world has moving parts... the prop itself has moving parts! laugh Which explains why the whole product is $48!  laughlaughlaugh

I managed to restrain myself, not to buy the product on Wednesday and was happy to see that the price didn't change today and the cart got sweeter with today's offers.

Now, I'm pondering whether to continue gambling and wait until tomorrow for additional benefits and for the earned tokens being valid until end of Tuesday, or pulling the trigger today... Buying stuff is stressful cheeky

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

pay day tommorrow yes

have DAZ+ coupy burning hole in my pocketyes

this new thing is a DOyes

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-dokidoki-hair-for-genesis-9

PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY devil